Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 02:07 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 165/158/120

Height: 5 feet 3 inches

I'm going to go looking around on Monday. I'll make the better money working in a bar or other server-type job, but mentally I kind of want to go back to working at Hallmark! It was so much easier, and less mentally stressful. So significant pay cut for less stress? Plus, the hours are significantly better, especially since I'm still in school. Working till 2 or 3am and then having class at 830 the next day is no fun!

Jen, I'm glad to hear that you guys got another dog! 12lbs seems so tiny to me! My dogs are 50lbs and 100lbs. And adopting is great... My German shepherd is a rescue, and she's wonderful! After seeing all the dogs that are put down every day, I don't know if I could ever buy from a breeder again.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:05 AM   #47  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post

They also had chinese cabbage (I was hoping it was jicama but it wasnt') The chinese thing is like a giant white zucchini -- soft too -- but the lady in the story said it was like having a mild radish and was nice in salad. I couldn't imagine having a radish the size of my wrist so I put it back too. Anyone ever eaten chinese cabbage? If yes what do I do with it??
That sounds like a Daikon Radish. You use it just as you would the little red radishes. Slice it up into salads, slice into rounds and eat as "spicy crackers".

WebRover
(Delurking - see my intro here http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4517996-post375.html)

Old 11-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 373/331/195

Happy weekend everyone!
I haven't posted in a while - it's amazing how busy (and tired) I get once school is back in.
I've had a few NSVs and had a big one this weekend. I can see my shin and ankle bones! Yay! I don't think my calves have looked this good in years. Now, I'm crossing my fingers that the lymphadema in my lower left leg is weight related after all and that maybe I'll eventually get to stop wearing 'sexy' support socks!!
I'm due for my 6-week WI tomorrow and I think I'll be 30+ pds down. I'm going to have to start trying on some of my old smaller clothes because my pants are starting to fall off.
I still haven't taken any photos yet so I might try to get my DH to take some today. Any advice on what to wear/where to take the photos?
I love seeing and hearing about all your success. You are all an awesome bunch of people!
GroovyCat
Old 11-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #49  

Here is a pic of jicama

Last edited by lisa32989; 11-04-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #50  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebRover View Post
That sounds like a Daikon Radish. You use it just as you would the little red radishes. Slice it up into salads, slice into rounds and eat as "spicy crackers".
YES! That was TOTALLY it and now that you said to use it as a cracker substitute, I may go give it a try. THanks for "delurking" to help me out!

Last edited by IP43; 11-04-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #51  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Here is a pic of jicama
Thanks Lisa! Now I know what the heck I'm looking for. Live in "small town Ontario" so our exotic fruit and veggie selection is a bit limited but I keep checking every time I go to a store. I finally found Okra yesterday, but it looked so little and squishy that I didn't grab it. Maybe shoulda as it may be my only chance to try it, but I remember reading posts about it getting slimy and I wasn't in the mood for that (just carved 8 pumpkins! LOL)
Old 11-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #52  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
Thanks Lisa! Now I know what the heck I'm looking for. Live in "small town Ontario" so our exotic fruit and veggie selection is a bit limited but I keep checking every time I go to a store. I finally found Okra yesterday, but it looked so little and squishy that I didn't grab it. Maybe shoulda as it may be my only chance to try it, but I remember reading posts about it getting slimy and I wasn't in the mood for that (just carved 8 pumpkins! LOL)
It shouldn't really be swishy. I don't buy it unless it is in season locally and the growing season in St Louis has passed for okra. Our southern friends will disagree and eat it all year.
I found it humorous that your produce person didn't even know what the heck they were selling. The daikon radish should also be firm.
Chinese cabbage looks like the cabbage family. You can "google" it for pics. That's how I got the jicama pic for you.

Last edited by lisa32989; 11-04-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #53  
Sleeved in Mexico

S/C/G: 250 /170.4 /140

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem View Post
Happy Weekend to everyone!

Well, I have some good news that I’d like to share with my 3FC-IP family that is quite different than everyone else’s news…. My DH and I are huge dog people and we had to put down our beloved Miniature Schnauzer, “Nicky”, on Sept. 24 at age 15. My heart was broken because he truly was my four-legged furry child (we don’t have any biological children) and the best dog ever!

Today, we were at a Pet Expo (unplanned) and my DH fell in love with a rescue-adoptable dog named “Mabel”. She is a 2 yr old female dog with Havanese and Lhasa Apso mix, weighing about 12lbs. Mabel is already adjusting well in our home this evening and we’re hoping things will go smoothly with her sleeping in our bed tonight! By no means does she replace "my Nicky", but it feels good to keep a perfectly wonderful healthy dog from being put down well before her time!

Dogs are so important for my emotional well-being that in its own way makes the weight loss journey more bearable. Any other dog lovers out there?!?

Thanks for letting me share. Jen
Congrats on your new addition!!! im excited for you!!! Thank you for giving a homeless dog a new life
Old 11-04-2012, 08:07 AM   #54  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezie68 View Post
Well, I made it to weigh in #1. I am down 8 lbs! Pretty amped!
Congrats!!!! You are off to a great start!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #55  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
Just spoke to MIL and told her that I was on IP. She hosts Thanksgiving dinner which is rich and full of carbs and sugars. I told her that I would be bringing my own veggies etc that I can eat. I was so proud of myself for stepping up!!!
Great job, planning ahead and letting people know why is always difficult for me but helps in the long run.

I had a great motivator yesterday, I was at a stamping event and dinner and dessert were served. I had a chicken breast and the salad, my friend at the table asked why I didn't get anything else (pumpkin ravioli, breaded cod, rolls, potatoes) so I told her why. Then I had a weak moment walking by the dessert table and picked up a "sliver" of cake. When I sat down the girl across from me said "I overheard you telling your friend about your progress on your plan, I don't mean to be rude but is that slice of cake worth changing your week for?" I told her she was absolutely correct and thanked her again and again as I threw out the cake. Sometimes help comes when you need it most
Old 11-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #56  
Starting over: 7/29/2015

S/C/G: 257/251/150

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem View Post
Happy Weekend to everyone!

Well, I have some good news that I’d like to share with my 3FC-IP family that is quite different than everyone else’s news…. My DH and I are huge dog people and we had to put down our beloved Miniature Schnauzer, “Nicky”, on Sept. 24 at age 15. My heart was broken because he truly was my four-legged furry child (we don’t have any biological children) and the best dog ever!

Today, we were at a Pet Expo (unplanned) and my DH fell in love with a rescue-adoptable dog named “Mabel”. She is a 2 yr old female dog with Havanese and Lhasa Apso mix, weighing about 12lbs. Mabel is already adjusting well in our home this evening and we’re hoping things will go smoothly with her sleeping in our bed tonight! By no means does she replace "my Nicky", but it feels good to keep a perfectly wonderful healthy dog from being put down well before her time!

Dogs are so important for my emotional well-being that in its own way makes the weight loss journey more bearable. Any other dog lovers out there?!?

Thanks for letting me share. Jen
Yes! We are dog people, too. (Although we do have one human child, as well! We've had dogs ever since we got married, back in 1996. Currently, we have two rescue dogs. They are probably between 2-3 years old, but you never really know with dogs that come from a rescue agency. They are sweet dogs, but they both have issues--Bitsie is hyper nervous about everything, and Joanie is very needy and constantly wants to be adored. As I type this, Bitsie is laying at my feet (she's my shadow, I guess she feels safe with me) and Joanie is bugging my son to pet her.
I agree that they add a great deal to our quality of life, and for the two months that we didn't have a dog (between the death of our first dog and getting the resuce dogs), it just didn't seem right!

Tammy
Old 11-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #57  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

My rescue dog is 9 years old now. She is a wonderful combination of chow and border collie, which makes her very protective and low energy except for chasing fast moving kids and herding them by going after their heels! I had to get a local version of the dog whisperer to come to the house and tell us all the things we were doing wrong. It was just like the TV show - we knew what to do but not how to do it. After practicing those techniques, now she doesn't bother anyone except to bark at the front door when someone is there, which of course is what we want anyway. This fall we went on a vacation for her, renting a house in the mountains where she could run around and enjoy the wildlife. She has been such a good match for us, I don't know if I could find that personality again in a new dog. She has spoiled us.

Last edited by Fishette; 11-04-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #58  

JenREm - I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I am a dog person too. We have rescued 2 dogs and since my son is off at college they have become my "children" and my protectors! Hey We might have to do a pet picture thread next!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 257.4/203.2/185

Height: 5'6

Good morning everyone!

JenRem, sorry to hear about your old friend, but so glad you saved a new friend!!

Congrats to the new people and their awesome weigh-ins!!

The past few days I have been having trouble eating everything. I'm just not interested. I think it may be because I'm still sick. The past two days I had off, I didn't get to eat all my packets because I was so busy trying to get everything done!

I'm expecting a small loss, if any, on the scale next WI. I think everything is starting to slow down. I still have plenty more to lose though!
Old 11-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #60  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
JenREm - I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I am a dog person too. We have rescued 2 dogs and since my son is off at college they have become my "children" and my protectors! Hey We might have to do a pet picture thread next!
Your wish is my command! I just started a pet thread. Would love to see everyone's pics.
Closed Thread