Old 10-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #1  
Committed Member

S/C/G: 181/160/140

Height: 5'8"

Question Expectations?

The discussion on the "Not a Miracle Diet" thread got me to thinking about our expectations when we start IP, where those expectations come from, and how realistic they are. I went to my clinic's website and copied the following information from their FAQ page.

What do you all think? Is this misleading? Does it set the dieter up with unrealistic expectations? Or is it accurate?

"FAQ's
. Can a Dieter expect consistent weight loss?

Yes. Women will lose on average 3-5 lbs, Men 5-7 lbs per week. If the protocol is followed without any deviations and weight loss is not achieved in any given week it is due to one of the following 4 reasons:

•Intentional or unintentional deviations from the program (cheats).
•Pre or Peril-Menopausal Women
•Constipation
•Muscle Gain vs. Fat Loss"

I don't mean to poke a hornet's nest here, but I am curious as to everyone's reaction.
GlacierGirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 219/146.0/142

Height: 5'7"

I feel that 3-5lbs a week for women is misleading. I can think of a few ways that they can manipulate their data to support this number. Especially for those who have 75+ pounds to lose.

However, if you are 30lbs overweight, I do not believe that, even if you follow protocol exactly, you will lose that weight in 6-10 weeks.

My coach, who has been doing this years, said that he sees an average of 2.5lbs a week for the women on his program. And he stated that I should expect smaller losses as I move closer to goal. He is a very strict coach, that does not allow clients to fiddle with the diet much at all. (or they are kicked out of the program)

I have found that diet will produce consistent good results (so far, I have been losing about 3lbs a week), and I think it is important to concentrate on that.

Last edited by sharrow; 10-31-2012 at 02:11 PM.
sharrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

A good correlating question in regards to "average" weight loss would be "What is the average weight loss per week for those who follow the plan all the way to their goal"

In my opinion they take advantage of the start/stop people who have the bigger starting weeks. Those who follow the plan for month after month probably show a decline in weekly weight loss as their body weight goes down.

A good measurement would use weight ranges....those in the 250-300# range can expect to lost 3-4# per week etc.
tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

You always have to take advertising information with a grain of salt.

When you average out a clinic's weight loss results across ALL clients and all weeks leading up to maintenance, yes the results are probably close to the advertised rate. I personally in 14 weeks have averaged just over 2.9lb per week. Does that mean I lose that much every week? Of course not. But when you average my huge first week, and all the high and low losses since I started the program, that's what it works out to. It is unrealistic for any clinic to guarantee, or hold a client to, 3-5lb every week. But that's not what the info you posted says - it gives the average, and then suggests causes for why someone may not lose ANY weight in a given week - it doesn't state a specific number.

It's definitely a little off base to suggest those are the ONLY 4 reasons someone might see a stall - it doesn't even mention TOM as a cause of a stall or gain, and that one is the most common for women!!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #5  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGirl3 View Post
The discussion on the "Not a Miracle Diet" thread got me to thinking about our expectations when we start IP, where those expectations come from, and how realistic they are. I went to my clinic's website and copied the following information from their FAQ page.

What do you all think? Is this misleading? Does it set the dieter up with unrealistic expectations? Or is it accurate?

"FAQ's
. Can a Dieter expect consistent weight loss?

Yes. Women will lose on average 3-5 lbs, Men 5-7 lbs per week. If the protocol is followed without any deviations and weight loss is not achieved in any given week it is due to one of the following 4 reasons:

•Intentional or unintentional deviations from the program (cheats).
•Pre or Peril-Menopausal Women
•Constipation
•Muscle Gain vs. Fat Loss"

I don't mean to poke a hornet's nest here, but I am curious as to everyone's reaction.
I think it's somewhat misleading. I started off great with -9lbs loss in my first week ... then -3 in my 2nd week.. then 0... then basically stayed between 1-2lbs lost/week for the remainder of the time, plus a few weeks with 0 losses. However, I'm happy I stuck with it (and continue) because I've lost -44 pounds and am getting much closer to goal.

I've been on alternative products for most of the diet, but I was with a local IP clinic for a while at the beginning. My coach there was very definite about my expecting to see regular -3lb/week losses. As she is a woman around my own age (late 50-early60s) and had recently lost about 30lbs herself on IP (and she said she averaged 3lb/wk) it seemed do-able. But I now believe that - as long as we stay 100% - we're still going to lose in our own personal way, and it depends on more variables than what they take into consideration. For example, through the past months I've become more aware that I'm quite sensitive to gluten, and I think this has contributed to my slower losses. Maybe if I'd been working with an IP coach he/she would have figured this out earlier on and helped get me on track faster. But I've read such mixed things about the merits of the coaches that I doubt it.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

FYI - in Canada they aren't allowed (suppose to) to advertise 3-7 lbs anymore

it's hard not to be whipped into the "why not more" but the end result speaks for itself...I could have had lap band surgery which I was willing to fund myself (through a loan) at 17K or IP...which was 6K (give or take). I went into debt for it...when I accepted that (the cost for me personally)...I didn't put much 'weight' into the # on the scale anymore. Not everyone can accept that, you have to make your own choices as to what's best for you. (it was the cost of the program that kept me in a vicious cycle of why not more I need to be done this quicker!)

But for me, it is what it is...again...the end results speak for themselves.

...as the VIP once said to me "it doesn't matter what the scale says it won't change what you do tomorrow" - which is the truth on Phase 1.

Last edited by Ishbel; 10-31-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:07 PM   #7  

My clinic told me realistically 2-3 lbs a week with some lower and some higher depending on how my body responds. I thought that was vague enough so that anyone would do well on it!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:14 PM   #8  

My expectation is to lose the lbs when my body lets me. I learned an important lesson in October that I shouldn't set stringent timelines for myself. I set a goal of 15lbs by the end of October. I reached my goal and exceeded it but got very competitive with myself (how few calories could I live on etc) which is not following protocol. I'm going with the goals my coach had me set without a timeline. I am hoping to lose my first goal -31 lbs - before the new year. BUT Im being patient with my body and with myself now. Lesson learned about expectations!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:51 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 280/Ticker/190

Height: 5'10"

After the big first week, I think 2-3lbs a week is a great goal to keep and should be fairly reasonable to accomplish regularly. If you deviate (cheat) at all, expect it to be 1lb a week.
LindseyTradeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #10  

Height: 5'8

IP is here to sell an expensive product. I don't expect anything other than the scientific basis behind the diet guidelines. Anything else is a means to sell
southern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #11  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyTradeChic View Post
After the big first week, I think 2-3lbs a week is a great goal to keep and should be fairly reasonable to accomplish regularly. If you deviate (cheat) at all, expect it to be 1lb a week.
Sorry to disagree LindsayTradeChic, but I've been 100% many weeks where I still ended up with less than a 2-3lb loss.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #12  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Not necessarily - I have been 100% on plan since the very beginning, and have had a few weeks with 1lb or less losses. It's all about how your body gives up the fat stores, and many other factors that you have little control over (TOM, hormone issues/other health issues, external stress, etc).
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 280/Ticker/190

Height: 5'10"

I can understand that, but I also started at a much higher weight than you girls, so that could definitely effect my perspective. I've had weeks where out of no where I lose 5lbs, but other weeks where I lose 1lb. *shrug* I guess it's hard to find consistency and weight loss is definitely a unique process for each individual person.
LindseyTradeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
My expectation is to lose the lbs when my body lets me. I learned an important lesson in October that I shouldn't set stringent timelines for myself. I set a goal of 15lbs by the end of October. I reached my goal and exceeded it but got very competitive with myself (how few calories could I live on etc) which is not following protocol. I'm going with the goals my coach had me set without a timeline. I am hoping to lose my first goal -31 lbs - before the new year. BUT Im being patient with my body and with myself now. Lesson learned about expectations!

Quote:
Disagree, I was 100% and had two weeks (in a row ) at 0 loss/gain and weeks sprinkled in there with less then 1 lb...it comes off when it wants to come off.

Last edited by Ishbel; 10-31-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 170.4/138.6/130

Height: 5'3"

My expectation when I began IP was that would be an easy-to-follow PSMF, and that if I stuck with it, the results would show over a reasonable period of time. My first WI was down ~6, my second down ~1.8, my third, down ~7. I expect my fourth to be more like down ~1lb. So long as the scale consistently moves downward, my expectations will be met.

I agree with southern's point -- IP is a business. Like all businesses, what matters is the bottom line. Nothing wrong with that. It's just a fact to take into consideration when you're looking at its promotional materials/products.
lessmeansmore is offline   Reply With Quote