Old 10-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 150/134/115

Height: 5'1

Wuv,

I would be very interested to know what IS required to be a coach? That is my biggest frustration right now...my coach is nice, but she is overweight herself (lost 30lbs in IP but has gained most of it back). She also seems to only know what I could know from reading the handouts. If I had YOU as a coach I would move heaven and earth to find the money to continue on actual IP products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
HAHAHA.....yup that is it!

It makes me very sad when coaches tell their client or believe their clients are "cheating" when they are having slow losses. I think most of them have never really been on the program to know how it really works. This is my honest opinion, You can read the manual and it will say this and that but in reality some peoples bodies don't react that way. I guess that is why when I have someone with a slow loss I let them know that is a great loss for them, just like I would with someone with a big loss. I also think it has a lot to do with the person coaching, if they are a people person or not. I am on here just like I am in person, no different. The words I say here are sometimes exactly what I tell my people here. I listen to what they say, what they need and together we come up with a solution. I am about helping people not hurting them. I am sorry if I have ever offended anyone at all by my post, but I always say at the end of them "I am sorry if I offend anyone"
CortneyMarie622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:23 PM   #92  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortneyMarie622 View Post
Wuv,

I would be very interested to know what IS required to be a coach? That is my biggest frustration right now...my coach is nice, but she is overweight herself (lost 30lbs in IP but has gained most of it back). She also seems to only know what I could know from reading the handouts. If I had YOU as a coach I would move heaven and earth to find the money to continue on actual IP products.

I was just about to ask the same thing. Because from what I've read, there are good coaches and bad ones. From my experience with other weight loss centers, the coaches did not seem to have any training or experience in the area of weight loss. They certainly were not dieticians. I suspect that the only 'training' they had involved learning about the particular weight loss plan and how to push sales of the company's product.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 190/ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

I personally think the 3-4 # for women and 5-7# for men is mostly BS....like using BMI to measure a particular person it just isn't going to match up. SOME people will lose that much SOME of the time. Unfortunately it can be hard to get someone to fork over the money by promising them 2# a week even if this IS a great amount.

I couldn't do this on the regular IP plan but using alternative foods my food costs have plumeted. Instead of stopping for breakfast ($3) going out to lunch ($8) and having dinner (usually at home anyway) I now drink an EAS drink for breakfast and lunch, along with some veggies ($1.50 maybe) and then chicken breast and more veggies for dinner with a snack of a shake or a bar ($1). My daily food cost is under $9, which is close to what I was paying for lunch anyway.
tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #94  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortneyMarie622 View Post
Wuv,

I didn't have any time of "formal" training to become a coach. When I asked my coach if she would considering hiring me as the coach at my clinic she was more than willing. I was given the manual to read, which I did thourghly, and if I have any questions I can call my coach to be advised. Most of my coaching is done through my experience with the program and what I have learned along the way. In my opinion the coaches whom have gone through the program for a period of time are the best ones. I have no medicial background, but my coach does. Although my coach has been a coach for almost 3 yrs now, I have more experience with the program. She loss 25lbs, she herself will say that I have more experience. I am sure there is "formal" training at some of the clinics that are required by whomever they work for. I do believe that there is some type of training but I am not sure everyone goes through it from what I am seeing on here.
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #95  

Quote:
I didn't have any time of "formal" training to become a coach. When I asked my coach if she would considering hiring me as the coach at my clinic she was more than willing. I was given the manual to read, which I did thourghly, and if I have any questions I can call my coach to be advised. Most of my coaching is done through my experience with the program and what I have learned along the way. In my opinion the coaches whom have gone through the program for a period of time are the best ones. I have no medicial background, but my coach does. Although my coach has been a coach for almost 3 yrs now, I have more experience with the program. She loss 25lbs, she herself will say that I have more experience. I am sure there is "formal" training at some of the clinics that are required by whomever they work for. I do believe that there is some type of training but I am not sure everyone goes through it from what I am seeing on here.
Wuv: Do you have access to all the online updates/training? My coach said there is a lot of that through IP
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #96  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Wuv: Do you have access to all the online updates/training? My coach said there is a lot of that through IP
At the present time I am not "allowed" that access by my coach. Why I do not know but I am working on this through my regional rep. I know that I am missing out on a lot of information without this access. I also wanted to attend a super weekend but my coach told me "it would be over my head". I WILL go to the one in New Orleans this year, even if I have to pay for it myself!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #97  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP43 View Post
I'm waiting until after your surgery Lisa, so you can wear your thong with pride
Woo Woo Luv!!!! You go girl!
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #98  
Keeping it real!

S/C/G: 40/31/30 waist inches!

Height: 5' 4"

I wasn't going to but I'm gonna throw my 2 cents in on this thread ...

Tough love is an option for some people and to others it turns them off completely.
I think it's mainly that "tough love" can come across as extremely condenscending to some of us. I know it does for me. I don't want the tough coach, I don't want the cheerleader, I want the facts and I want to be respected enough to not be scolded. If I've done wrong, I scold myself - thank you very much...

I doubt there's one "true idiot" in these forums and if they've cheated or gone astray .. well, they now it. Do you honestly think that person posting that they only lost 1 lb when they cheated doesn't KNOW they cheated? Of course they do! And for those who only lost 1 lb and didn't cheat, they need the information and knowledge from those who have also gone through those weeks.

My coach and I had this conversation a few weeks into the diet. Keep in mind he's 1/2 my age and hasn't even begun a true life's journey. It's very easy to be arrogant at 25 about health and diet. At least for most of us .. At 25 I could have thrown him across the room - that sounds mean but you get my point. Regardless, he took the critizism well and I learned a little more patience along the way.

I think there is more true support on here versus tough love, it really depends on which thread you're on.

Wuv - I want to make sure you don't read too far into this. I admire your tenacity and applaud your journey. I am looking forward to reading your posts in maintenance (coming up so soon for you!!).
healthyangie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #99  

I agree, I don't think the medical background is that important, but it sure is hard to take people serious who have not done the diet for long (or that have not kept the weight off).

You for sure need to get access to everything offered and go to those events!! My goodness...one of their biggest assets.

Quote:
Old 10-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #100  

Nicely written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyangie View Post

Tough love is an option for some people and to others it turns them off completely.
I think it's mainly that "tough love" can come across as extremely condenscending to some of us. I know it does for me. I don't want the tough coach, I don't want the cheerleader, I want the facts and I want to be respected enough to not be scolded. If I've done wrong, I scold myself - thank you very much...

I doubt there's one "true idiot" in these forums and if they've cheated or gone astray .. well, they now it. Do you honestly think that person posting that they only lost 1 lb when they cheated doesn't KNOW they cheated? Of course they do! And for those who only lost 1 lb and didn't cheat, they need the information and knowledge from those who have also gone through those weeks.

My coach and I had this conversation a few weeks into the diet. Keep in mind he's 1/2 my age and hasn't even begun a true life's journey. It's very easy to be arrogant at 25 about health and diet. At least for most of us .. At 25 I could have thrown him across the room - that sounds mean but you get my point. Regardless, he took the critizism well and I learned a little more patience along the way.

I think there is more true support on here versus tough love, it really depends on which thread you're on.

Wuv - I want to make sure you don't read too far into this. I admire your tenacity and applaud your journey. I am looking forward to reading your posts in maintenance (coming up so soon for you!!).
Old 10-31-2012, 07:25 AM   #101  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

WUV: I think it is great that you are going to be a coach. Having succeeded on IP, you will be invaluable. I also support you. Ip is a good program. It helped me change my life and lose over 100 pounds. The main thing is that I developed good habits to keep those pounds off.
Maile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #102  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

[QUOTE=Maile;4514324]WUV: I think it is great that you are going to be a coach. Having succeeded on IP, you will be invaluable. I also support you. Ip is a good program. It helped me change my life and lose over 100 pounds. The main thing is that I developed good habits to keep those pounds off.[/QUOTE]

I've lost slowly - I've been following the protocol (but using alternatives) for 34 weeks and I've lost 44 lbs total so far - so my average is 1.3lbs/week. At first I was really disappointed in my slow losses - and at times it's been frustrating. But it's become pretty much a lifestyle for me after this long. And I now consider that a big bonus... I believe taking this long to lose the weight has reinforced healthier eating habits that I'll be more apt to stick with over the long haul. And those small incremental losses eventually do add up. In the recent months I've become increasingly suspicious that I'm gluten intolerant, and I'm wondering if that has slowed me down all along.... Without the diet and the encouragement of everyone here at 3FatChicks, I'd still be sitting 44 lbs heavier - probably even had added a few more by now. I'm very grateful that instead I'm well on my way to achieving my weight loss goal.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #103  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

ITA - if there was a 'Like' button I'd be clicking it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyangie View Post

evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #104  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

I guess I don't get feeling "hurt" by strangers on the Internet but that's neither here nor there.

More importantly, even as an IP newbie it has irritated me to see people talk about cheating or complaining about the cost of the plan. I want to be among a group of people committed to IP so that I can remain committed.

Finally, neither my coach nor anyone else told me that I would lose any specific number each week, only that I would lose weight if I followed the protocol. And, so far, that is true.
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #105  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

Medifast had the same claims of loosing a set amount of weight per week. They got sued and just settled for 30 something million. I think that is why IP took the claims down.

As to coaches. I think for a lot of them it's money making. There is no quality control because in the end it is a pyramid scheme. I don't want to say anything against the diet itself, since it is working. But people should realize that there will be businesses/coaches out there that do this out of conviction. But some will simply go for it for the money. So, customers have to see that they find the first category.

There is no reason why one cannot coach via internet. There is also no reason to be affiliated directly with IP. There is literature out there, both in the form of popular books and medical literature (Pubmed) that provides inside and background. Add some personal experience and voila. I am not sure how much background information IP really provides besides of what is already available through some clinic's web sites. Plus, it appears that the roots of the diet in France trace directly back to Proti-Diet proofing that alternatives are a good replacement for IP products. Just my two cents.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote