Old 10-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #46  
Started IP 10/05/12

S/C/G: 136.1/118.4/121

Height: 5'6"

JenRem- I think doing it as a group has made it so much easier! There isn't someone constantly bringing in tempting treats to the office, pressure to go out for unhealthy lunches or thinking its weird what I'm eating. It keeps us accountable. My boss and I had a business lunch with some clients yesterday and it made it so easy to stick with the plan since she was there too. Normally I would have felt weird ordering steamed veggies/soft tofu no peanut sauce at a Thai restaurant but it was no biggy since she ordered something heavily modified too.

Re: the 2 coworkers. 1 does not need to lose weight and the other is diabetic and doesn't want to mess up her sugars. They have been great to put up with us and are very supportive!

Last edited by Kate1188; 10-25-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Kate1188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #47  
IPA

S/C/G: 255.4/251.2/180

Height: 5'5"

The only one that knows is my Godson who started on IP and then I joined him on alternatives to help him along and to save him some money by finding him alternatives to use while he's paying off college loans and working. He's doing wonderfully, almost 50 pounds down since August. At the time he joined IP I was on Medifast...AGAIN, but quickly gave that up for this and I love it so much more. Such better results and I'm not starving!

For the last 4 or 5 years I have eaten low carb so my family doesn't really notice any longer. All they seem to notice is that I eat veggies and meat. When I need to take a bar or snack with me, I unwrap it and put it in a ziplock. Less questions the better!
AliKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:26 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 146/142/125

Height: 5'1'

Same, but from my boot camp instructor!! I'm in my first week so I'm not working out. I just told her I was crazy busy!! She would NOT approve of a diet that does not allow working out.
Amorette39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:44 AM   #49  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

I too am in the minority here - I tell everyone. I even post my WI results on my FB page every time. I've never gotten any negative comments, though have seen skeptical looks on some faces. I work in a church office, and the pastor began IP shortly after I did as a result of my initial losses. There were a couple people that asked some questions in "that" tone of voice, so in uber confidence mode, I told them it is medically monitored, my family doc is happy I'm on IP, and I was able to stop taking my BP meds within 2 weeks of starting this diet. If I sense more negative comments coming, I simply walk away or change the subject. In the beginning my mom & sister were not happy with it not being a balanced diet, but my results and determination, along with my explaining the program more little by little, have completely changed their attitudes. There are quite a few family members that have not even acknowledged my losses to me, though it is talked about when they are present. I guess if they are saying negative things behind my back I'm just not going to worry about it. Ongoing, long-term success will speak for itself. IMO. (My mom did tell me recently that she wishes my sibs would follow in my footsteps re: taking control of my health. They are all obese, some morbidly so. Of course, I wish SHE would also follow in my footsteps! LOL)
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #50  
Started IP: Sept 19/12

I hate negative people when it comes to them finding out that I'm on the diet. I don't go around blurting to everyone, but when people ask I tell.

One friend has said nothing but negative stuff about it (she doesn't understand the diet, and is a nurse so she feels like it's wrong). She said that someone shouldn't lose more than 10lbs a month and posted something pretty rude on facebook about it. I don't believe that at all. Someone that weighs 400lbs and someone that weighs 150lbs aren't going to lose at the same rate, even if they aren't on IP and just making lifestyle changes. To me IP is more about making lifestyle changes than a diet.

My hubby has lost probably around 30lbs since we started, and most of his belly has gone bye bye. I am really curious if she will say something next time she sees him because it's impossible to not notice.

I guess her plan to go to the gym didn't work out so well and I feel as if she's taking the negative feelings out on us. Oh well. We try not to let it bother us because we both feel great!
tunafish246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 12:31 PM   #51  

S/C/G: 243/139/140

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
I too am in the minority here - I tell everyone. I even post my WI results on my FB page every time. I've never gotten any negative comments, though have seen skeptical looks on some faces. I work in a church office, and the pastor began IP shortly after I did as a result of my initial losses. There were a couple people that asked some questions in "that" tone of voice, so in uber confidence mode, I told them it is medically monitored, my family doc is happy I'm on IP, and I was able to stop taking my BP meds within 2 weeks of starting this diet. If I sense more negative comments coming, I simply walk away or change the subject. In the beginning my mom & sister were not happy with it not being a balanced diet, but my results and determination, along with my explaining the program more little by little, have completely changed their attitudes. There are quite a few family members that have not even acknowledged my losses to me, though it is talked about when they are present. I guess if they are saying negative things behind my back I'm just not going to worry about it. Ongoing, long-term success will speak for itself. IMO. (My mom did tell me recently that she wishes my sibs would follow in my footsteps re: taking control of my health. They are all obese, some morbidly so. Of course, I wish SHE would also follow in my footsteps! LOL)
Hi greeniris! I'm in northern Michigan also! I really hate sharing the details about IP with people, but at some point it became necessary. My weight loss was just too obvious and there were questions. It's also interesting to read about your family's reactions. I have family and friends who initially seem interested, but when they find out they have to give up carbs they lose interest quickly. That seems to be a big stumbling block for many--just don't want to give up the bread, pasta, fries, desserts, etc. I'm glad I was able to do it, but my health really required a drastic change! Congratulations to you for sticking to it, even in the face of opposition!
glomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #52  
started IP Oct 3/12

S/C/G: 225/restart 188/150

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeniris View Post
I wish I could talk about my weightloss accomplishments openly like on FB. I'm proud of what I have done so far and hopefully continue to do.
I guess I've always thought negatively about myself because of my weight and publically speaking/typing about it would in a way add insult to injury. Maybe once I lose some more I'll have the confidence to be more open about it.
clo2551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #53  

This topic just came up in our IP office this week. We noticed the majority of our IP'ers are not referring. Many give the same reasons that many of you have voiced. We have seen so many sick people become healthy again and not need BP medication or insulin, etc. anymore so it can be a little frustrating when most of our IP'ers are "hush, hush" about the program. We want to get the IP word out and help as many people as we can. So maybe if you are reluctant to talk to others about your IP experience while you are on the program you can spread the IP word once you reach your goal. It's hard to explain how fulfilling it is to help someone take charge of their health and life again. You are all such a wonderful and encouraging group!!
Crstyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #54  
Committed Member

S/C/G: 181/160/140

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crstyne View Post
This topic just came up in our IP office this week. We noticed the majority of our IP'ers are not referring. Many give the same reasons that many of you have voiced. We have seen so many sick people become healthy again and not need BP medication or insulin, etc. anymore so it can be a little frustrating when most of our IP'ers are "hush, hush" about the program. We want to get the IP word out and help as many people as we can. So maybe if you are reluctant to talk to others about your IP experience while you are on the program you can spread the IP word once you reach your goal. It's hard to explain how fulfilling it is to help someone take charge of their health and life again. You are all such a wonderful and encouraging group!!
That is a really good point - and I can't speak for others, but personally, I do plan to be very vocal about it once I'm more confident in my ability to stick with it. I've just started Week 4, and although it's all good so far, I have a long, long history of starting and failing at weight loss programs, and I don't want to "share the good news" and then have to admit a month later that I bailed and failed.

When my weight loss becomes noticeable and people start asking, I guarantee I'll be talking their ears off about it! Oh, and my clinic offers a great incentive - a free half-hour massage when you refer a new client!
GlacierGirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:30 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 287/144/150

OMG I am so happy that I am not alone here. I personally do not like to share with co workers. I only say that I am on a special diet . I don't want them to judge IP by what they think it is. I want to follow plan 100% which is hard when you have an environment which seems to thrive on ordering in food.
JKfromIL is offline   Reply With Quote