Old 01-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 297/IP start 270/201/160

Height: 5 foot 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlin View Post
I just returned from a road trip in rural Canada. I used the tips you shared, IP packets, a cooler of veggies and precooked meat ( frozen ). My biggest challenge was drinking my water, when you're driving 10 - 13 hours a day you can't be making a potty stop ever 20 min.!!! ( I finished my water in the evening ) I stayed OP and was thrilled to find that I lost 5 pounds this week - normally I've been loosing 2-3.
I have to laugh because my greatest challenge when traveling has been the water, too. Our son is at college and the road to see him has VERY limited opportunities for rest stops or civilization. This, of course, does not affect the males in the family the way it does me since there is always a tree or bush....

So my trip is planned by figuring out how and where to drink my water based on where and when I will be near a bathroom!
schenectady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:53 PM   #62  
Started IP 12/26/13

S/C/G: 205.6/171.2/145

Height: 5'6"

Such useful info in this thread. I'm going to plan WAY ahead for our upcoming college tour trips we have planned. It's going to be many days of college campuses and eating on the road. I want to be prepared so that I don't stray off course. I'll also be checking out what restaurants I can go to easily. I want my daughter to have a good trip and me not stressing out about food.
jendilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:36 AM   #63  

Height: 5'4"

Bump
mckaren4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:43 AM   #64  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

bump
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #65  
Restarted IP June 2014

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for bumping Ruth Ann!!
SuPer helpful tips in here. I travel a fair amount with work & have found it a challenge this past month on IP for for sure!
I'm heading off on a one week cruise in a weeks time & need all the help I can get to plan in advance so I have the best chance of a successful IP week.
weathermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 228/198/165

Height: 5'11"

Bumping this thread for us newbies feeling intimidated/overwhelmed at the prospect of days or weeks away from the "safety" of our own kitchens

Ken's tips throughout the thread (esp the start) are a GOLD MINE! and his before/after photos alone prove that IP while traveling *can* be done. Woot! (and thanks to all the contributors to this thread--I'm out of town more often the not the next 3 months, was getting nervous, and feeling a lot more confident about it now)
sarajoyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 01:35 AM   #67  

Amazing, as newbie who hasn't completed a full week yet, and is heading out of town in 9 days (by plane), thank you!

Those of you who have lost so much weight, including Ken, congratulations, you did it !
Adventuregurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:45 PM   #68  

Default Travel

folks...apparently, there are several travel threads on this site but the search function cannot find them...

I am going away the third week of March... in that week there will be much drinking..some eating (the country doesn't seem to be into sweets) and a lot of walking...

I gained absolutely silly pounds when I went off IP over Christmas... still haven't lost what I gained..

Should I phase off with #2 or just cut off cold turkey and deal with the weight gain afterwards ?

I cannot get over the feeling that Ip does something to your body ..when I went off of WW, I didn't have the massive weight gain and went off that cold turkey as well..

No matter... cold turkey or phase off ?

Ian
Luv2listn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #69  
determined

S/C/G: 302.4/202.4/166

Height: 5'6"

I personally would stick with the IP plan. Going on and off surely can't get the weight loss results you want, can it?

I'm planning a 2 week road trip for April but I plan to stay OP. I don't drink alcohol (even though an ice cold beer would go down pretty smooth some days) so that will be the easy part for me. I have a dehydrator I'm going to pull out and dust off to make "road munchies" (and cover my 2c lunch veggies) and at dinner have an IP friendly restaurant meal. Breakfast will range from IP protein drinks & bars and the occasional IP friendly breakfast buffet choice. Snacks will all be IP items. I may have an IP soup when we get settled into the hotel room if I haven't had my 3rd packet of the day yet.

We'll be staying at a different hotel almost every night! Whew!
frawniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #70  

By first week of March, I should have lost 65ish pounds (started late September /14) ..not including the 28 I gained over x-mas.

I will be in Havana ...veggies are not plentiful and hard to find... I can curb my eating but I shouldn't be doing IP if I am imbibing alcohol.. so being off seems to make sense to me..

Ian

Last edited by Luv2listn; 01-30-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #71  
Started IP 11/26/2014

S/C/G: 205 (190 on IP)/174/150

Height: 5'5"

Now, I'm not usually one to say go off IP but if I were you I would phase out but try to keep it low carb on your vacay. So instead of beer have hard alcohol and club soda, or diet soda. If you're anything like me you're probably insulin sensitive which resulted in your large gain over Xmas.

Keeping low carb, not low carb, low calorie, low fat will allow you the energy you need for all of the walking as well as the ability to drink alcohol. Though, note that the body uses alcohol for fuel before it uses fat or carbs so you likely won't see much losses if you're drinking lots, but you will at least prevent or minimize gain. So when you get back you don't have a lot of traction to regain. It will also prevent the carb withdrawal symptoms in the early part of IP as you will already be low carb going back into IP.
kimo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #72  

Here is one of the best travel threads.
Start at the beginning. The best info is there.

Ian: Sounds like a great trip!
The phasing-off is there for a reason. It is a very important part of the plan.
We gain quicker if we're not careful because this is such a low calorie plan & it temporarily lowers the BMR. It is our own responsibility to raise it again...through the careful phase-off and exercise. Just re-establishing glycogen stores can add poundage b/c we hold water with that gylcogen.

Last edited by lisa32989; 01-30-2015 at 04:33 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:29 PM   #73  
Started IP Jan 5/15

S/C/G: 210/206/165

Height: 5'7"

This is a great thread as I am going for a couple of weeks on a river cruise in June so I will sure to keep note of all the tips
Arobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 06:59 PM   #74  

The knowledge on this board blows me away. Some day, there should be a thread on how to search on this board effectively.

i had never heard of the BMR and it makes sense to me. Phasing out will be a must.

I am one of the odd people who cannot metabolize narcotics nor alcohol unless I ingest massive amounts....I can eat handfuls of oxi w/o a blip and a qt of hard liquor as well..so I drink for the taste..no mix..except maybe rocks..

This thread was great...and now I have a plan.

Thanks all !!

Ian.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:51 PM   #75  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2listn View Post
The knowledge on this board blows me away. Some day, there should be a thread on how to search on this board effectively.

i had never heard of the BMR and it makes sense to me. Phasing out will be a must.

I am one of the odd people who cannot metabolize narcotics nor alcohol unless I ingest massive amounts....I can eat handfuls of oxi w/o a blip and a qt of hard liquor as well..so I drink for the taste..no mix..except maybe rocks..

This thread was great...and now I have a plan.

Thanks all !!

Ian.
IP does change the way your body functions. Before IP your intake of carbs was providing ready fuel and your body was storing fat like a well oiled machine. Without the starch and sugars, your pancreas is getting fuel from your fat stores. When you abruptly go back to pre IP eating habits, your body goes right back to packing it on. This is different from WW and you need to follow the protocol with care to make it thru to successful maintenance.

Last edited by oneuh2; 01-31-2015 at 12:53 PM.
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote