3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Travelling on IP - lessons learned by a road warrior

Old 03-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #31

S/C/G: 289/180.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Bump.

Great ideas for travel and/or the start of a busy work-week!
Old 03-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #32

S/C/G: 289 / see tracker / 160

Height: 5'7"

"tell them I'm allergic to fat - makes me swell up"

Thanks Ken ! way too funny I am stealing!

Weightloss Journey Started: Jan 15 2013
One for each 5lbs gone!
Scale Victory 10% Body Weight gone = March 10, 2013
NSV Fit into size 18w jeans I wore when I got married - March 10, 2013
NSV bought a regular XL size of Champion work out gear (pants & jacket) and they fit - April 12/13
NSV wearing a size 16w jeans and they actually fit - May 2 2013
itzconni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #33
Start IP 2/23/13

S/C/G: 187.6/141.5/130

Height: 5ft 2

Great stuff, just in time for my weekend trip!
Trinkets75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #34

S/C/G: 202.4/161/145

Height: 5' 6"

A couple weeks ago I had to go on a trip for work to a tiny town in Alaska that was very remote...no cell service, one tiny store, no restaurant open in the winter. I had to bring in all my own food...lots of vanilla rtd, broccoli cheese soup and frozen broccoli, bars. And then I had roasted and boned out a chicken and cut up a bunch of red peppers and celery and had some tuna in pouches and some WF dressing. Well, I forgot all my "real" food except for the broccoli and ended up doing an unintended week of boot camp! Whoops! I was working outside all week doing some somewhat laborious work, and was glad I had overpacked my IP food. I did 5 packs a day and my coaches were thrilled when I got back and had stayed OP.

So my advice would be to pack extra of everything. You never know when your plans may change or you may have a travel "hiccup"!
GreatLakes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #35
Start IP 2/23/13

S/C/G: 187.6/141.5/130

Height: 5ft 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakes86 View Post
A couple weeks ago I had to go on a trip for work to a tiny town in Alaska that was very remote...no cell service, one tiny store, no restaurant open in the winter. I had to bring in all my own food...lots of vanilla rtd, broccoli cheese soup and frozen broccoli, bars. And then I had roasted and boned out a chicken and cut up a bunch of red peppers and celery and had some tuna in pouches and some WF dressing. Well, I forgot all my "real" food except for the broccoli and ended up doing an unintended week of boot camp! Whoops! I was working outside all week doing some somewhat laborious work, and was glad I had overpacked my IP food. I did 5 packs a day and my coaches were thrilled when I got back and had stayed OP.

So my advice would be to pack extra of everything. You never know when your plans may change or you may have a travel "hiccup"!
I bet real food never tasted so good when you got back home!
Old 03-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #36

S/C/G: 202.4/161/145

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
I bet real food never tasted so good when you got back home!
Definitely. But at the same time, it wasn't THAT awful either. It made me feel good that if in the future I have to switch things up to get through a stall, I will not just survive it, but be able to enjoy it. I will admit to devouring some chicken and peppers with paprika and chili seasoning when I got back though. And then went and got a steak to cook for the next night's supper.
GreatLakes86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #37
Getting there!

S/C/G: 197.8/ticker/159

Height: 5'6

Made it through a 6 hour car ride yesterday OP. It added an element of challenge because of timing of my food/meals. By time got to destination I was ready for dinner but was having a family dinner and it turned out I needed to prepare dinner for everyone when I arrived. My "starvation" fear passed on finally ate my omelette with veggie around 7:30 pm. Waaayyy past my normal feeding time. Totally threw off my evening packet. Much easier at home.
workingit50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #38

S/C/G: 345/255/175

Height: 5'10

Great tips!
Alaskagirl92128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #39

Default Thanks so much Ken!!!

I was thinking of phasing out for my annual trip to Nashville for Record Store Day. I'm close to my goal, and was really debating the right course. I want to have fun and know that I can do it on plan. I just didn't have a real plan on how I was going to do it. I will take your tips and run with them thanks!

jenyvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #40
Started IP: 1/16/13

S/C/G: 228.6/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileheadKen View Post
With all the great advice I get on this site and especially the IP forum, I thought I'd give back a little for a change. I travel a great deal with my work, and have been OP since June 11 and not cheated once - even at restaurants. Given that, here's a few tips I've learned along the way:

1. Think about your trip - personal vs. business, etc. and where you'll be and what will be available to you for veggies, salad, protein, etc. buy food accordingly.
2. plan your day - think about your schedule and activities so you can adjust.
3. Bars are a travellers best friend - no shaker needed and can go in a coat pocket (or purse, ladies). Just calculate the increased carbs into the equation.
4. Subway is also a traveller's best friend -a veggie salad gives you close to 2 cups of veggies of a good variety. I also use regular mustard for a salad dressing. I use mustard on their sandwiches, so why not?! It works great and makes for some interesinting conversations!
5. Restaurants will almost always work with you. If they don't want to accomodate, I go the gluten free route, and say I'm allergic or that I need a diabetic diet choice. But when I'm light hearted with my server and tell them I'm allergic to fat - makes me swell up, they almost always loosen up and help me!
6. water bottles and Starbucks cups make great shakers so I don't have to pack mine.
7. Water! Water! Water! A gallon a day keeps the hungries away. 2 cups an hour gets you a gallon in by dinnertime so you're not up and down all night long!!! lol
8. I buy sugar free jello for my nighttime snack on the road. 10 calories and no carbs. (By the way- the Hunts brand has carbs- Jello doesn't).
9. I've actually carried cucumbers on a plane since most veggies in airport food courts are steamed with butter.
10. I pack a zip lock of lemon juice packs, salt/pepper packets, mustard packs, WF salad dressing, foil packs of tuna for emergencies (small town restaurants don't do healthy well, so I've had tuna, mustard, and cucs for dinner on multiple occasions). I also keep an IP drink packet and bar in the zip lock for emergencies.

Okay, that's enough for now! Since starting IP in June, I've put in around 50 room nights in hotels, 10 plane trips, many road trips, and a week's vacation doing mission work in Mexico - never cheated once!!! It works!!!!
Have a great weekend!!!
Ken
Thank you for the great ideas! We are going on a trip soon and I've been worried about how I'm going to stay on plan. This helps bunches!

One for every 5 pounds lost:
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #41

S/C/G: 0/9/40

Height: 5' 1.25"

This is such great timing. My DH just announced this morning he is planning on a 2 week road trip. I freaked as I haven't even finished a week on program yet! If we actually do this trip I now have some "tools" to work with. Thanks for the great tips everyone!
Jeaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #42

S/C/G: IP 140/115/115

Height: 5'1"

Wow these are great tips!
Can definetly use them!
thanks so much!

D

Maintaining since June 2013
DRegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #43
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Bump

One for every 5 lbs
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #44
Starting again 06.04.2014

S/C/G: 210/ticker/150

Height: 5'9

These suggestions are great. I'll be putting these to use soon.
GetYa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #45
FIV in June, hold on IP..

S/C/G: 185/155/130

Height: 5'4

Great info! Thank u so much!
Mymi is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.