3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Vegetarian Protein Ideas for Dinner (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/266994-vegetarian-protein-ideas-dinner.html)

Starshine 09-26-2012 11:46 AM

Vegetarian Protein Ideas for Dinner

Okay, so I know if you do a search you can come up with ideas for Vegetarians for their protein for dinner, but it's been a while, and I thought it might be time to do a thread dedicated to it.

As a Vegetarian, we have to pick out proteins that are on the lower end of the carb (so many of our proteins are high carb) and fat scale, and higher in protein (we need to get 30-40g of protein for the dinner meal). Try to find ones that have good fiber in them, so it can counter the carbs (net carbs). And of course watch out for hidden sugars, which had me dumping my favorite products).

The veggie proteins I have used so far are:

* Eggs/Egg Whites
* Bob's Red Mill High Protein TVP (80 cal; 0g fat; 7g carb; 4g Fiber; 12g prot)
* Trader Joe's Organic Sprouted Tofu (80 cal; 5g fat; 1g carb; 1g Fiber; 9g prot)
* Tofu Pups (60 cal; 2.5g fat; 2 g carb; 1g fiber; 8g prot)
* Boca All American Classic Meatless Burgers (90 cal; 2g fat; 6g carb; 6g fiber; 15g protein)
* Westsoy Seitan Strips (120 cal; 2g fat; 4g carb; 1g fiber; 21g prot)
* Tofurkey Oven Roasted Deli Slices (100 cal; 3g fat; 6g carb; 3g fiber; 13g protein

What I've started to do (and it seems to work for me), is since these choices aren't as high in protein as meats, I add in extra egg whites to my shakes to make up for the lesser amount of protein and not add in any fat or carbs.

Honestly, I'm pretty tired of these choices. I really miss beans and nuts and whole grains, and oh yeah, cheese. :) So if anyone else has found some IP safe Vegetarian proteins, please list them. I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

Maile 09-26-2012 01:54 PM

How about vegetarian tacos or fajitas..using tofu or those protein vege crumbles? I used Morningstar crumbles and they made a good taco.

Starshine 09-26-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maile (Post 4480600)
How about vegetarian tacos or fajitas..using tofu or those protein vege crumbles? I used Morningstar crumbles and they made a good taco.

Great ideas! :) I do make fajitas with the seitan (and also stir fry) and then taco salads using the TVP. I also made some TVP sausage crumbles. I just started using the TVP.

rainbowsmiles 09-26-2012 02:21 PM

dirty "rice" and tofurky sausage and peppers!!! yum!!!

Starshine 09-26-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles (Post 4480638)
dirty "rice" and tofurky sausage and peppers!!! yum!!!

Thanks, Rainbow! I've never liked those sausages before, but I need to try them again. The dirty rice with that and peppers sounds good. :)

For the record, I looked up the nutritional info for Tofurky Italian Sausage and it's this: 270 cal; 13g fat; 12g carb; 8g fiber; 29g protein. Just trying to have this info in one place for future Vegetarians looking for info. :)

Starshine 09-26-2012 07:50 PM

Bump....

djs06 09-26-2012 07:57 PM

LizzRR put this delicious looking recipe in her fun with purées thread..l it's on my "to try ASAP" list.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4443085-post85.html

Starshine 09-26-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djs06 (Post 4480936)
LizzRR put this delicious looking recipe in her fun with purées thread..l it's on my "to try ASAP" list.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4443085-post85.html

Thanks on that. I've not tried rutabaga yet, so I should probably do that. :) Thanks, djs!

Starshine 10-08-2012 04:18 PM

Bump, for any new folks that might like some Vegetarian Information (and hoping some others will add to the thread). :)

benice 10-08-2012 05:19 PM

One way to jazz up your eggs is to make a fritatta. First I chop up my two cups of veggies. I prefer zucchini sliced in rounds. I roast that in the oven for about 5 mins with garlic and some olive oil. Do this in a glass pie pan. Make sure the sides of the pan are all coated with the olive oil (this will keep your eggs from sticking later).

Then, put your egg alotment into the blender along with salt and pepper. Whip into froth. Mix in 8-10 leaves of chopped basil. Pour over zucchini.

Put into oven and cook until done.

Enjoy a fluffy fritatta. I love this accompanied by a side salad.

Starshine 10-09-2012 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benice (Post 4491977)
One way to jazz up your eggs is to make a fritatta. First I chop up my two cups of veggies. I prefer zucchini sliced in rounds. I roast that in the oven for about 5 mins with garlic and some olive oil. Do this in a glass pie pan. Make sure the sides of the pan are all coated with the olive oil (this will keep your eggs from sticking later).

Then, put your egg alotment into the blender along with salt and pepper. Whip into froth. Mix in 8-10 leaves of chopped basil. Pour over zucchini.

Put into oven and cook until done.

Enjoy a fluffy fritatta. I love this accompanied by a side salad.

Thanks, Benice! I'll try this one. love the basil in it. I have some growing here. :)

mommak8 02-11-2013 12:04 PM

Are there any Vegetarian Maintainers?

My family is mostly vegetarian and I'm starting Maintenance. Is anyone doing this successfully?

infoplease 02-11-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommak8 (Post 4629424)
My family is mostly vegetarian and I'm starting Maintenance. Is anyone doing this successfully?

At this point, I am doing OK in maintenance but am relying heavily on "fake meat". At first in maintenance I relied a lot on IP chocolate drink mix before and after exercise, then often Gardein, Quorn, Tofurky products, eggs and daily Greek yogurt.

Are you looking at food combining to make whole proteins or something else?

Feel free to PM me.

Starshine 02-11-2013 03:12 PM

I'll be starting maintenance in about a month I think, and I'm Vegetarian too. I'm not sure how I'll do it. I'm going to add in lots of beans I think, and stay with Seitan and tofu also. I don't like the Vegetarian fake meats much to be honest. I hope you get some responses, as it would be useful! And good luck in maintenance.

meena 02-11-2013 10:48 PM

Shiratake Noodles/Miracle Noodles

I just remembered this! These noodles are ok for those who are absolutely craving their noodles - just spice it up well to make up for the loss of taste. They're also called Tofu Noodles.

A word of caution - they smell to the high heavens. PLEASE wash them very well - follow directions on packet!