Alternative Reviews Vol 1

You're on Page 5 of 29
Go to
  • Quote: Hi Guys,
    What a wealth of information here on alternative products you have all put together! I have been going through most all the alternative threads I have seen here since last week

I am one of those weird people that pretty much stuck to all IP puddings when I lost 60+ lbs. I actually like the puddings and the thing is, they are non-restricted and they aren't so GREAT that I feel I could over-do them...I have avoided all bars and really sweet offerings because they seem to make me crave more so I can't have them around.

So now I am looking for the best pudding suggestions to replace the IP puddings that are non-restricted. And I gotta tell you, I love making my puddings into the little muffins w/ egg whites, H2O, cinnamon so would love to continue doing those with alternative puddings. I have read in these threads about the Weight Loss Systems choco chip w/ marshmallows and the cheesecake puddings but am not sure if they are considered non-restricted.
    What puddings (choc, vanilla, strawberry, butterscotch, lemon) would you recommend that are good alternates to IP? I am also curious about the ones I've seen at Lindora, they have one w/ toffee bits and they offer a cheesecake too.

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts and ideas!
    The only thing I will add is that the alternative products don't always behave the same way as the IP products in recipes. I've not yet tried to make muffins with the alternative puddings, but I know the pudding waffles I've tried to make are not as good with the alternatives as with IP.

Maybe someone can chime in on how the puddings do in other recipes?
  • I all, I have spent the last few hours reading all the alternative pages and threads, and am curious. I have seen coconut oil in health stores that look almost like a solidified lard in a jar. Is this what you are using? or is there a coconut oil that actually looks like liquid oil (same as olive oil, grapeseed oil, etc)
  • Quote: I all, I have spent the last few hours reading all the alternative pages and threads, and am curious. I have seen coconut oil in health stores that look almost like a solidified lard in a jar. Is this what you are using? or is there a coconut oil that actually looks like liquid oil (same as olive oil, grapeseed oil, etc)
    Coconut oil is solid under ~76 degrees. You can use it just like you would other oils. When heated above 76 degrees, you can pour it just like you would EVOO. I usually just scoop mine out with a measuring spoon and will melt it in the microwave in a measuring cup if I am needing a more exact measurement (ie. baking). In the summer, when our house is warmer, it is usually in a melted state, so I just pour it like I would another other liquid oil.
  • I've been off ideal protein for a few months and gained all the weight I lost back =( (too ashamed to update my ticker)
    This time around I am using alternatives since I quit ideal protein due to finances the first time I attempted it.
    Here are my thoughts so far :
    Protidiet pancake mix - Very good! Just wish it was not restricted
    Proti diet chicken noodle soup -Really like this stuff. Reminds my of ip chicken noodle soup. Have it quite often.
    Protithin chocolate soy puffs - LOVE. Exactly like ip.
    Protithin Sour cream and fine herbs zippers - Not a fan.
    Protithin BBQ zippers - I like them better than the sour cream ones. Nice flavor.
    Protidiet Bacon and cheese omelette - Not very good. Liked Ips similar version much more.
    Protidiet hot chocolate - Thought it wasn't that great..not sweet enough for me.
    Protithin Vegetable spaghetti bolognese - Exactly like ideal protein. Love this stuff, again just wish it wasn't restricted.
    Protithin chocolate pudding - Not a fan..have to force it down each time I make it.
    Protithin Dark chocolate wafers - Love..delicious. Very sweet.
    Protidiet Grape concentrate drink - quite good. Will repurchase. I put a lot more water than suggested though since it is very sweet.
    Protidiet Supreme peanut bar - LOVE..very chewy. Tastes like a real treat.
    Protidiet hazelnut bar - Could live without..not that good..but certainly not bad.
    Protidiet chocolate dream - Waxy and artifical tasty. Not a fan
    Protithin - Caramel nut bar - Yum! Exactly like Ideal protein
    Protithin chocolate decadence bar - Not bad..probably won't repurachse though.

The product that has really helped me out though has been the GNC total lean shakes that are ready to go. When I am starving in my bed every morning..too lazy to mix up a package these are a life saver.
  • Quote: The product that has really helped me out though has been the GNC total lean shakes that are ready to go. When I am starving in my bed every morning..too lazy to mix up a package these are a life saver.
    I just googled this to check it out... have you looked at the nutrition? It looks like this should be treated as a restricted item (11 net carbs and 200 calories). Is that what you do? Just curious, as I am always looking for a good ready to drink shake!

Calories 200.00
    Calories from Fat 30.00
    Total Fat 3.00 g 5%
    Saturated Fat 1.50 g 8%
    Cholesterol 60.00 mg 20%
    Sodium 120.00 mg 5%
    Potassium 250.00 mg 7%
    Total Carbohydrate 17.00 g 6%
    Dietary Fiber 8.00 g 32%
    Soluble Fiber 5.00 g

Sugars 3.00 g

Protein 25.00 g 50%
  • I think she's referring to these:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4371945
  • Quote: I think she's referring to these:

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4371945
    Still 170 calories... But thanks!
  • I'm talking about the ready to drink ones
    Here is the link : http://gnc.com/product/index.jsp?pro...959301.3107334

Maybe I am still wrong? Hard to remember all the rules without a coach.
    I am losing quicker than I was the first time around so I must be doing something right though LOL
  • The ready to drink GNC total lean is not restricted. It is only 6g total carbs, 3g net carbs.
  • Quote: I'm talking about the ready to drink ones

I am losing quicker than I was the first time around so I must be doing something right though LOL
    under 200 calories per serving

less than 30% total calories from fat (take the calories from fat, multiply by 3 - if it's lower than the total calories you're fine)

Less than 17g NET carbs (subtract Dietary fiber from total carbs)
    8g or less NET carbs = unrestricted
    9g to 15g NET carbs = restricted (once per day only)
    15g to 17g NET carbs = super restricted (twice a week only)

at least 12g protein

So these are fine
  • Quote: Protidiet pancake mix[/B] - Very good! Just wish it was not restricted
    Hmm...the Proti Diet pancakes are not restricted items. The pancakes from Weight Loss Systems are but not ProtiDiet.
  • Quote: I'm talking about the ready to drink ones

The numbers look good to me. A little high in calories but really good for protein and only 5 net carbs.
  • Quote: Hmm...the Proti Diet pancakes are not restricted items. The pancakes from Weight Loss Systems are but not ProtiDiet.
    That is what I thought too if they are the ones in the individual packages.
    Must be I don't think protidiet sells mixes in tubs.
  • Thank you for the chart. I just started IP and love it! The cost is high but I am sticking with it. The cost of not losing the weight is greater!
    It's good to see the stats because IP doesn't post them anywhere. Thanks
  • I just started the IP diet and didn't know any better. My coach said I could use only WF. I was grateful because I don't like the salad plain.
    I've tried the Caesar Salad dressing which had a strong zing to it, not my fav.
    Back to the store for something less "zingy" and got the Honey Dijon. I use this all the time now. I steamed some brocolli and put a little on. I also use Dijon mustard with a little lemon juice.
    Thanks for the alternatives as I start week 2.