Old 09-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/186/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default Do you weigh daily or weekly?

Okay...in the past when I have lost weight, I have weighed myself every morning. I know that weight will fluctuate and that some times it will be up and sometimes a whoosh. For me it is a good tool. I don't beat myself up if it is going up or staying the same.

My coach recommends not having a scale at all in the house and only using her scale. My problem with that is that I know weigh ins will not always be at the same time and as the weather changes my clothes will change and what I get weighed in at her office will change. For instance my initial WI last week was in light weight capris, a tank top and flip flops. As we get more into fall, that will change. We also WI first thing in the morning, but tomorrow we WI at noon. So lots of variables...that will over time all even out I am sure.

But I do look forward to seeing the scale in the morning and cheering when there has been a loss..even if it is small. I also notice in a lot of posts on here that people comment on being down from their WI on day X and hoping for more on their next, etc. I also have seen some people recommend to not weigh at home. I am just curious what others do. Do you weigh yourself at home each day? Once a week? Never? How about the folks doing it on their own with alternatives and without a coach? What do you do? But more importantly WHY? Why do you weigh or not weigh yourself?
MommaHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #2  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I could never weigh daily - I would drive myself crazy! Much of the time I just wait for my Wednesday "official" weigh in. If I'm curious about where I'm at, I will sometimes weigh myself on Friday at my MIL's house when I'm working there, or on Monday at the hospital. I have a pretty good sense of the difference between those scales and the one at the clinic so I can gauge where I'm at. But a lot of the time, I just wait for the Wednesday surprise!
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I'm doing alternatives without a coach, and I'm only in week 2- but I'm a daily weigher. It drove me a little crazy this week though so I'm going to aim for twice this week, or if I can stretch it out to Saturday I will.

It was fun to see the number go down significantly every day. By Saturday (day 6 on plan) I was down 8.2... but then I went back up for my official weigh in to 7.4. That's what I find demeaning, more than the daily fluctuation- when I'm fluctuating up on my official weigh in. 7.4 is obviously still a very good number but I wanted more than that 8.2. I thought I had the 8.2 in the bag and maybe would get it to 10 in the next two days.

So I over thought it. And I think I would have been happier with my results had I not been "peeking." So I'm going to try to cut it back. I don't think the scale weight every morning actually holds me accountable for the day anyway; I hold me accountable.

Last edited by djs06; 09-17-2012 at 10:39 AM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #4  
~Tara~

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Height: 5' 2"

I am doing alternatives so i do not have a coach, but I still weigh every day. It is something I have been doing all of my life and it is a very hard habit to break, though it can be frustrating because weight seems to really bounce around a lot on this diet. It would be better to just do once a week and see what my total is- but I am having a hard time of breaking out of that mode of checking in every day to see how I am doing.
GoalFor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #5  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

I weigh myself ONLY on my WI days because I want to be SURPRISED at my losses. I know I stick to the program so I know I will have results even if they are smaller than I want. I tell my people NOT to weigh everyday because it causes stress on most of them, they don't understand the way the body changes daily. I have weighed in for the last 70 weeks at the SAME time on the SAME day in the SAME clothes....well, not anymore...they fall off of me, but I have ALMOST the same exact clothes. Its a yoga top and yoga shorts.

A lot of people who weigh daily stress when the numbers don't go down or if they are up for that day. Stress will cause you to hold on to the weight even more. If you aren't drinking enough water, your body will hold on to what is in it so the more you drink the more you will lose.
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #6  
Started IP 7/20/2012

S/C/G: 250.4/???/155

Height: 5'9"

I'm a daily weigher. I weigh myself first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. I have to know where I am everyday. I realize that my weight can fluctuate and some days it may go up but I want to know exactly it's at. On weigh-in day at my clinic, I will know usually within 0.4 of a pound how much I will weigh there. I know they tell you not to weigh everyday but it is a big motivator for me to see the numbers going down even if it is a very small amount.
exactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #7  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I weigh myself most days, but I am not very emotional about it - if it drives you crazy (and it sounds like it doesn't for you MommaHen) then definitely stay off the scale. I only "count" my official coach's weight on my ticker & stats. They recommend only weighing 1x/week to avoid people going nuts on the scale in Phase 1 if they can't handle fluctuations (you will read about that A LOT if you stick around long enough) because there is no way you can't NOT lose weight on this program - it stops folks from self-sabotoging themselves and trying to micro-manage through daily measurements.

In maintenance however they do recommend you weigh daily and nip any gains in the bud. As my coach appointments get less frequent I am moving towards recording via my home WI. I bought a fancy Omron scale for that purpose to keep track of the other body stats (BMI, Body Age, Visceral Fat, Body Fat %, etc.)
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #8  
Low Carb

S/C/G: 225/ ticker /135

Default Yes

daily but record weekly I'm OCD with the scale I always have been .

I NEED TO KNOW where I'm at

Last edited by 1spunkygal; 09-17-2012 at 10:52 AM.
1spunkygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #9  
IPA

S/C/G: 255.4/251.2/180

Height: 5'5"

I weigh in only on my WI day, Friday! I would drive myself nuts if I weighed in every morning there are just too many things to vary the scale daily.

I'm doing alternative and everyone here is my coach!
AliKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:51 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 251.5/196.5/137.5

I'm also a daily weigher. This will also dictate if I'll go restricted food or not for the day. For me it's more clinical and less emotional.
vvei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 328/280/245

Height: 6'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1spunkygal View Post
daily but record weekly I'm OCD with the scale

That's Two of us!
repomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/see ticker/130

Height: 5'2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by exactor View Post
I'm a daily weigher. I weigh myself first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. I have to know where I am everyday. I realize that my weight can fluctuate and some days it may go up but I want to know exactly it's at. On weigh-in day at my clinic, I will know usually within 0.4 of a pound how much I will weigh there. I know they tell you not to weigh everyday but it is a big motivator for me to see the numbers going down even if it is a very small amount.
I'm with Exactor. I weigh myself daily, right after I go to the bathroom with no clothes and no breakfast or water yet. I keep a daily chart so I can see trends with my weightloss and my TOM since I'm so messed up right now. I just feel better "taking control" of my progress. It would bother me to wait until my official weigh in's at my clinic because my weight can fluctuate so much during the day. It helps me also make the decision of food choices, do i need to eat fish or red meat, etc.
MiamiCajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #13  
Low Carb

S/C/G: 225/ ticker /135

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
I'm doing alternatives without a coach, and I'm only in week 2- but I'm a daily weigher.

same here although I love the IP products I still take the supplements

(may husband says he's "helping me" hahahahahahaha )

Last edited by 1spunkygal; 09-17-2012 at 10:56 AM.
1spunkygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #14  
Restart 4/1/19

S/C/G: 226.8/190.0/140

Height: 5' 5"

I also weigh in daily. I am not emotional about it (for the most part) but I feel it's important to know where I am. Also, my weigh ins are around 4:30-5:00, so generally by that point my weight is up about 3lbs from my morning weight. I feel my own scale is a truer weight since it's first thing in the morning, no clothes, no food or water etc.
Bella73123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: re-start date 4/1/13

Height: 5'5"

I weigh myself almost every morning. No cloths, not water or bkfst yet, etc. I feel that for me, it keeps me motivated and focused. When my loss starts slowing down, I may weigh only 2 times per week. My official weigh-ins are in the afternoon, and I think it most likely is not as precise as when I weigh at home in my "birthday suit"!
iwiggy58 is offline   Reply With Quote