3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Low Blood Pressure (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/266382-low-blood-pressure.html)

NurseKeri55 09-17-2012 08:21 AM

Low Blood Pressure

HI..I am wondering if anyone else has low blood pressure on IP. My husband and I have been having readings in the 90's/60's sometimes even lower. I have had days where I felt dizzy and light headed too. We are 10 weeks into the program, he's in phase 2 I am still in 1 for a while longer. Just curious.

ragdoll74 09-17-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NurseKeri55 (Post 4470693)
HI..I am wondering if anyone else has low blood pressure on IP. My husband and I have been having readings in the 90's/60's sometimes even lower. I have had days where I felt dizzy and light headed too. We are 10 weeks into the program, he's in phase 2 I am still in 1 for a while longer. Just curious.

You should talk to your coach or doctor about that. There is an alternate phase 1 plan for diabetics and people with low blood pressure.

I personally haven't had issues with that since the first week.

AliKay 09-17-2012 10:07 AM

I've had readings in the 90/60 range for the last 20 or so years. I didn't notice it being an issue since starting IP. Maybe you could talk to your Dr. about it. My pressure yesterday was 90/62 it never varies much. Good Luck!

CoolChickInAFatSuit 09-17-2012 10:25 AM

I was taking BP meds when I started on IP. I was feeling quite dizzy after a while and found my BP was down way too low. Stopped taking the meds and have been maintaining a low normal BP since then. I think the combination of weight loss and zero alcohol and caffeine is what did it.
If you're not taking any BP meds now, make sure you're getting all of your salt in. If that doesn't help, check with your doc. Low BP can be just as dangerous as high.

IPdivajen 09-17-2012 10:27 AM

Make sure you're getting your daily sea salt - sometimes that can be the reason for lower blood pressure.

sharrow 09-17-2012 10:31 AM

I have consistently low blood pressure, and am always careful to make sure I get all my salt (I probably err on the heavier amount).

I haven't had any issues on IP.

infoplease 09-17-2012 11:06 AM

My blood pressure dropped low while on Phase 1 and has stayed there in maintenance. (just now it is 81/63 and I have gotten readings in the 80s at the doctor office, too)

I echo the advice on getting enough salt.

When I commented at the doctor's office, the nurse said I was likely dehydrated (and I have dropped my water intake considerably, which I need to work on).

Until I got used to it or balanced things out, I thought the low blood pressure mostly made me tired. I remember that the dizzy/light-headed feeling eventually got better, maybe by about the third month, so maybe you are turning the corner. At that point I was having 1/4t salt at lunch and 1/4t salt at dinner, drinking 96 oz of water every day, and taking the required vitamins and minerals.

Do you think your salt, water and supplement intake have all been consistent?

Could something besides the diet be at play?

Are you using IP products or alternates? Alternates often have vitamins in them which could be throwing electrolytes off, as a guess.

Is there anything quirky about your food choices? Do you like to select the same vegetables/protein/packets all the time or are you choosing a good variety?

Interesting that both you and your husband are reacting similarly, which might be random or might be related to the food choices.