Old 09-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/146.0/142

Height: 5'7"

Default Anyone have a Colonoscopy while on IP?

I am scheduled for one in a few weeks, and wondered how you handled it. I am reading over the prep documents, and it looks like I will have to go off plan.

My Dr. does not want me using IP foods during the 3 day prep, just what is listed on the sheets.

Thank you!
sharrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #2  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Sewingmomma just had this done this week...I am sure she will chime in at any moment
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I had one during the summer and while you can't eat any food during the prep day, I did drink only sugar free liquids such as chicken broth and tea. There is no reason to be kicked out of ketosis during the prep.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #4  
8/23/12 - 1/6/13

S/C/G: 170/140/135

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrow View Post
I am scheduled for one in a few weeks, and wondered how you handled it. I am reading over the prep documents, and it looks like I will have to go off plan.

My Dr. does not want me using IP foods during the 3 day prep, just what is listed on the sheets.

Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
I had one during the summer and while you can't eat any food during the prep day, I did drink only sugar free liquids such as chicken broth and tea. There is no reason to be kicked out of ketosis during the prep.
Oh, poo - I was using IP as a good excuse to delay mine even longer. No symptoms, just at that age. Maybe Dec would be a good time...
Fishette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #5  

Thanks. I am going to try and stay on plan, but I will be off the packets and supplements 3 days before the procedure. \

I am planning to speak with my coach about this, but when I mentioned having this procedure done at IP sign up, he didn't really have much info for me.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #6  
Started IP 11/28/2011

S/C/G: 260.8/144/150

Height: 5'4"

My prep only lasted one day. I made my own gelatin using koolaid and Splenda. I dont recommend doing that because I wound up eating too many carbs with the Splenda. I'm pretty sure that I knocked myself out of ketosis with that. Then I got realized that I could make my own gelatin with Mio. That works really well and wouldn't knock you out of ketosis. I was off program for a couple of days -- my prep day and the day of the procedure. Then I got right back on on the following day. All-in-all, it wasn't too bad. I don't remember a thing about the procedure.
SewingMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #7  

Quote:
Thanks. I am going to try and stay on plan, but I will be off the packets and supplements 3 days before the procedure. \

I am planning to speak with my coach about this, but when I mentioned having this procedure done at IP sign up, he didn't really have much info for me.
Three days is a long prep time. I just had to stay away from raw veggies for three days before, and my prep was just the entire day before the test. Either way just eat low carb, and you will be fine.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishette View Post
Oh, poo - I was using IP as a good excuse to delay mine even longer. No symptoms, just at that age. Maybe Dec would be a good time...
Never delay. I lost my father to colon cancer 15 years ago, and the doctor said he probably had it for about 10 years before he was diagnosed. He had no symptoms till right before he was diagnosed, and he was gone three months later. Because of my father, I started having them at 40 yrs old. Other than the prep, the test is easy as you won't remember any of it since they put you out.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:47 PM   #9  

Quote:
Three days is a long prep time. I just had to stay away from raw veggies for three days before, and my prep was just the entire day before the test. Either way just eat low carb, and you will be fine.
I agree, don't delay. My mother has colon cancer, and it was something that could have been detected years ago.

My prep sheet has me on low-residue foods for 3 days before the procedure. Then the day before the exam I am to only have clear liquids. Jello is ok, but not red jello. The prep is going to be a pain.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 AM   #10  
Started IP 11/28/2011

Both of my parents had colon cancer. My father before he was 70, which is a big red flag for doctors. He passed away when he was 67. My mother was diagnosed at 70. She has been cancer-free for 4 years. Early detection is the key. My test was clear, no polyps or anything. I'm scheduled to have another one in 3 years.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #11  
Started IP 11/28/2011

Quote:
I agree, don't delay. My mother has colon cancer, and it was something that could have been detected years ago.

My prep sheet has me on low-residue foods for 3 days before the procedure. Then the day before the exam I am to only have clear liquids. Jello is ok, but not red jello. The prep is going to be a pain.
I didn't have to do the low residue thing. I did the suprep, which required me to drink 16 oz of the yuck at 6 pm the night before and 16 oz 12 hours later. The stuff was awful, but it wasn't too much volume-wise.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 330/319/230

Height: 6'-0

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingMomma View Post
I didn't have to do the low residue thing. I did the suprep, which required me to drink 16 oz of the yuck at 6 pm the night before and 16 oz 12 hours later. The stuff was awful, but it wasn't too much volume-wise.
Dutchtown. **** you are right around the corner form me.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #13  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Never delay. I lost my father to colon cancer 15 years ago, and the doctor said he probably had it for about 10 years before he was diagnosed. He had no symptoms till right before he was diagnosed, and he was gone three months later. Because of my father, I started having them at 40 yrs old. Other than the prep, the test is easy as you won't remember any of it since they put you out.
ITA. - Don't delay. We've two instances of colon cancer in our family... I started regular colonoscopies at age 43. So I've had several by now. My preps have only ever been just for the day immediately before the procedure though - I've never heard of having a 3 day prep.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #14  

Thanks for the responses. I have no idea why I "win" and get the three day low-residue prep.

For anyone who is remotely interested, here is the prep sheet that describes the low-residue diet: http://tinyurl.com/8fc43sj