Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #1  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Default Alternative discussions Vol 2

Discussion about so many threads devoted to alternative questions and issues. I just thought it may be best to keep them in one place if possible. So I'll start this thread. I am in a late time zone so I can bump it up each evening if people do post here.....I am starting this one for y'all....
Old 09-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

I'm reposting this here, as the other thread was closed.

I just got Jillian Michael's Pure Protein Vanilla powder. It is my first time trying a powder. (I like the EAS Carb Advantage shakes.) But, as a drink, found the powder really difficult to drink, maybe because of the really strong artificial vanilla flavor. I tried using it for making a crepe this morning, and that was ok, not great. Any suggestions on how to use this powder so I don't waste my money? Is this pretty standard for powders or maybe vanilla products?

Thanks!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 09-09-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #3  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFitChick View Post

I just got Jillian Michael's Pure Protein Vanilla powder. It is my first time trying a powder. (I like the EAS Carb Advantage shakes.) But, as a drink, found the powder really difficult to drink, maybe because of the really strong artificial vanilla flavor. I tried using it for making a crepe this morning, and that was ok, not great. Any suggestions on how to use this powder so I don't waste my money? Is this pretty standard for powders or maybe vanilla products?

Thanks!
I bought some of that exact stuff (pre ip) and it stinks to me! I had it sitting on the shelf for a few months so my dh started to drink it, he says it tastes fine, but when I make his shakes for him, I have to hold my nose..whew~ Maybe use half a serving size with another protein powder might help to use it up...
Old 09-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks Wuv for restarting us!!! I just blended up 10 oz coffee, SF Torani Salted Caramel syrup, ice, cinnamon , and my first packet of Proti Diet Vanilla Pudding Powder and YUMMY!!! Made something much less healthy in the Ninja for the DD and we are "porching" and sipping. Life is good. Recuperating from much drama over the last few weeks.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

I also have the large Jillian Michaels powder - vanilla. I don't care for it either. I much prefer the Syntrax vanilla powder. So, if someone comes up with a way to use it, it would be great....
Old 09-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Hello all!!

I started IPA today and had a few questions.

-I've read a bunch of discussions here that say you can have two egg whites as a "freebie" and some said you can have one full boiled egg instead. I am not sure if there is a consensus on this or what, but I love my eggs so I sure hope so!

-I'm wondering how much exercise constitutes an extra packet. I've been a big exerciser but I realize I can't sustain the kind of activity I'm used to (45 minute swim or elliptical plus yoga). I'm thinking I'll cut the swims back to 30 minutes of lower intensity and I know I'll need an extra packet for that, but what about yoga? I attend one class that's considered 'gentle yoga' and one or two more per week that are a little bit more vigorous. I know yoga doesn't burn many calories but I think I will probably add my extra packet on all activity days. Does this sound right?

-Are the egg whites/egg still 'free' when there's a fourth packet involved? I don't want to eat too much...

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #7  
IP Start: 8/15/12

S/C/G: 286/217/158

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureFitChick View Post

Thanks!
I got the same brand and didn't care for it much, but just yesterday I tried it with mint extract and it was pretty good. I also bought banana extract and that's my next experiment.
Old 09-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimcoachmomma View Post
Thanks Wuv for restarting us!!! I just blended up 10 oz coffee, SF Torani Salted Caramel syrup, ice, cinnamon , and my first packet of Proti Diet Vanilla Pudding Powder and YUMMY!!! Made something much less healthy in the Ninja for the DD and we are "porching" and sipping. Life is good. Recuperating from much drama over the last few weeks.
Love the salted caramel, my top choice and my 2nd favorite is Chocolate Macadamia Nut. I have Toasted Marshmellow (ok), Caramel (good but not as good as the salted), Almond Roca (good), English Toffee (ok). Pumpkin Spice (good), Peppermint Paddy (good), Raspberry (good), Peanut Butter (ok). That is what I have and tried so far. My kitchen looks like a Bistro (coffee bistro) lol
Old 09-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #9  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by djs06 View Post
Hello all!!

I started IPA today and had a few questions.

-I've read a bunch of discussions here that say you can have two egg whites as a "freebie" and some said you can have one full boiled egg instead. I am not sure if there is a consensus on this or what, but I love my eggs so I sure hope so!

-I'm wondering how much exercise constitutes an extra packet. I've been a big exerciser but I realize I can't sustain the kind of activity I'm used to (45 minute swim or elliptical plus yoga). I'm thinking I'll cut the swims back to 30 minutes of lower intensity and I know I'll need an extra packet for that, but what about yoga? I attend one class that's considered 'gentle yoga' and one or two more per week that are a little bit more vigorous. I know yoga doesn't burn many calories but I think I will probably add my extra packet on all activity days. Does this sound right?

-Are the egg whites/egg still 'free' when there's a fourth packet involved? I don't want to eat too much...

Thanks!
RE the eggs - 2 egg whites are considered a "freebie" - they have 0 fat, 0 carbs and 32 calories. Negligible in terms of our daily intake. One whole egg is about 70 calories, 0 carbs, 5g fat. My coach advised that in the beginning as my body was adjusting, I was better off having a hard boiled egg between meals to stave off the hunger, but it's not something I've done often unless I know I'll be walking a little more than usual but not enough to .

RE: the extra packet - really, if you do ANY exercise you should add a packet within 1/2 hour of finishing. This diet is under 900 calories a day, so burning any extra calories could push you towards "Starvation mode" instead of ketosis. Adding the packet gives your body something extra to work with in recovery without going off plan.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Thanks Scorbett!!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #11  

I surpassed my goal and "phased off" alternatives.
Since, I gained a few back on vacation (I ate everything!) back in track at home and concentrating on healthy maintenance. I think the changes from phase 1 you make permanent are key to keeping the weight off. For me these are eating more veggies, less fast food, and reading labels.

That being said, I've been craving sandwiches for months! I love sandwiches. I just broke down and ordered some Julian bread. I couldn't find the alternative review thread in which we discussed this controversial bread but I drove out of my way to a store that carries it and there was a sign saying "no delivery this week" then the clerk said it sells out as soon as it comes in. I ordered the carb zero, low carb sourdough (for grilled cheese) and the coconut paleo (for breakfast toast) I can let you know how it tastes as soon as I get it if anyone is interested.
I ended up getting a loaf of low carb Oasis flax seed bread. It was really good 8g carbs, 2g fiber. My whole turkey/provalone/ baby spinach instead of lettuce sandwich was under 20g carbs, low cal, big, filling, and delicious!
Old 09-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #12  

BTW, geez that bread is expensive! The oasis low carb is only like 3.50 and the Julian is 7.99 + the shipping. It better be good! lol
Old 09-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #13  
Carb Addict

S/C/G: 290/290/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamack View Post
Love the salted caramel, my top choice and my 2nd favorite is Chocolate Macadamia Nut. I have Toasted Marshmellow (ok), Caramel (good but not as good as the salted), Almond Roca (good), English Toffee (ok). Pumpkin Spice (good), Peppermint Paddy (good), Raspberry (good), Peanut Butter (ok). That is what I have and tried so far. My kitchen looks like a Bistro (coffee bistro) lol
My Husband laughs because we have a restraunt supply place right by my work that has over 80 SF options. I have the Madagascar Vanilla and the White Chocolate. I agree with the Peanut Butter.... I was disappointed. Get the Cherry... makes chocolate cherry drinks/ice cream. Tasty tasty.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Hey, does anybody have a good alternative to the IP salt and vinegar chips? they are so tasty and filling but I can't afford them anymore...

I don't see any on the Nashua Nutrition site...
Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 PM   #15  
Back to the old me :)

S/C/G: 138.4/see ticker/125

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
Hey, does anybody have a good alternative to the IP salt and vinegar chips? they are so tasty and filling but I can't afford them anymore...

I don't see any on the Nashua Nutrition site...
Here they are. You can choose the salt and vinegar flavor, though I personally love the BBQ and pizza best.
Closed Thread