Old 09-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #1  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Default If you had to guess. . .

So I had my second last weigh in with Weight Watchers today - hoping to switch to IP after my last week with WW.

Another half pound loss - whoop de doo. My goal was to lose 15 or so pounds in total. It has take me 14 weeks to lose 8.5 pounds on WW working out (HARD!!!) and following the program.

If you had to take a guess, how long do you think it will take me to lose the same amount on IP? Taking into consideration I have already been eating low cal for 3 months (guessing 1000 - 1200 per day), and that I'm closer to goal now than I was when I started WW obviously - and the closer you get the harder it is.

I'm only asking because if my weight loss is the same half pound per week I think I will be pretty disappointed - esp. seeing how expensive it is.

I'd be THRILLED with 2 pounds per week.

I know this is only guessing - each case is individual - but then again, I'm sure there are statistics and you are all a great source of info.

Thanks!
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/145/135

Height: 5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
So I had my second last weigh in with Weight Watchers today - hoping to switch to IP after my last week with WW.

Another half pound loss - whoop de doo. My goal was to lose 15 or so pounds in total. It has take me 14 weeks to lose 8.5 pounds on WW working out (HARD!!!) and following the program.

If you had to take a guess, how long do you think it will take me to lose the same amount on IP? Taking into consideration I have already been eating low cal for 3 months (guessing 1000 - 1200 per day), and that I'm closer to goal now than I was when I started WW obviously - and the closer you get the harder it is.

I'm only asking because if my weight loss is the same half pound per week I think I will be pretty disappointed - esp. seeing how expensive it is.

I know this is only guessing - each case is individual - but then again, I'm sure there are statistics and you are all a great source of info.

Thanks!
Since you are so light (larger people lose more weight faster) I would say you would lose 3 lbs the first week and 2 lbs a week max. That is just my hunch from reading all the blogs.
sweetsloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160.2/138/140

Height: 5'6"

The difference between a low cal diet and IP is that you would not necessarily go into ketosis with a low cal diet, but with IP you do. Low cal diets would see a 1 lbs loss, but with IP you can burn off additionals lbs via ketosis (1 lbs low caloric intake and 2 lbs plus being in ketosis). You should, if you're following the IP diet exactly and stay in ketosis see a 2-3 lbs loss per week.
missymoo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:26 PM   #4  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

3 months MAX...on IP you are given the IDEAL amount of protein for your body to survive, nothing more. BUT, you would have to give up the exercise!!...You only take in 700-900 cals a day and working out "hard" burns MORE than that....NO EXERCISE and you would do it probably quicker..just my 2 cents
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #5  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymoo19 View Post
The difference between a low cal diet and IP is that you would not necessarily go into ketosis with a low cal diet, but with IP you do. Low cal diets would see a 1 lbs loss, but with IP you can burn off additionals lbs via ketosis (1 lbs low caloric intake and 2 lbs plus being in ketosis). You should, if you're following the IP diet exactly and stay in ketosis see a 2-3 lbs loss per week.
This is a good theory based on what IP teaches you but unfortunately not accurate. Ketosis does not mean fat loss. You can easily maintain your fat stores while being in deep ketosis provided you eat enough.

Fat loss or gain is determined by energy balance, not ketosis. Energy is measured in calories.

To the OP - if you've been losing .5 lbs a week on 1200 calories + working out hard I would guess you will lose slightly more than .5 lbs a week on IP diet because from what I have seen you consume around 700 calories a day and do not exercise much.

2-3 lbs per week loss would mean a 1000 - 1500 calorie daily deficit. Not going to happen at your size/weight on the IP diet.

In my opinion I'd suggest you focus less on your weight and more on your body composition.

Last edited by JohnP; 09-05-2012 at 03:33 PM.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:

Thanks!
As everyone said weight loss does vary from person to person. I'm currently rebooting to lose extra weight I gained in maintenance and it's flying off in ketosis. (I have 6 pounds to go.) The benefit of ketosis is your cravings are diminished greatly and you don't have to exercise (actually it's highly recommended that you don't). The food is delicious BUT you can do the program on less expensive alternatives. There's a great thread regarding alternative products with reviews etc. Good luck!!! You're so close!!!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #7  

Height: 5'4"

Well...
Do you happen to know your body fat %? Are you over 40?
You seem to be pretty steady at a half a pound per week on 1000 to 1200 cals.

If a pound of fat is 3500 cals, then you have a 1750 calorie deficit each week. Which is about 250 per day less than you require, based on your activity level and current weight.

At your current weight of 123, the range might be 1230 (no movement) to 1845 (activity & muscle mass); let's call that 1500. At your goal of 115, a best guess on calories required might range from 1150 to 1725, let's call that 1400. So, conservatively, you are slowly going to require 100 calories less per day or 700 calories less per week as your weight decreases. That is about .2 lbs.

The latest version of IP, with the 8 oz of protein at dinner is supposed to be 1100 calories (per a seminar). Let's say you always pick the items in the 80 calorie range and never pick the ones at 150 or 200 calories, so you are able to keep it more along the lines of 900 calories. (REMEMBER, we don't calorie count on IP...)

1500-900=600 per day deficit, 600x7=4200 per week, 4200/3500 = 1.2 lbs per week.
At the end this would drop to 1400-900=500, 500x7=3500, 3500/3500 = 1lb per week.

So, realistically you can expect to lose 1 to 1.2 lbs per week based on the math. People do lose differently from the math because our bodies are not calculators, other factors enter in.

If you have been having fruit and bread as part of your 1000 to 1200 calories per day, you might see a larger weight loss (it's a water adjustment plus fat) your first week. Or, you may have already lost that water weight.

Even the dramatic change between WW food choices and IP food choices might help you "beat the math".

For me to get from 132.6 to 123.6 on IP, with working out, took 6 weeks.
Losses ranged from 1.0 to 2.0 lbs. (The previous 6 weeks, from 143 to 132.6, weight losses ranged from 1.0 to 2.6, and I did no exercise).

As long as you are mentally prepared to be excited about losses of 1 lb per week--twice what you are losing now, and not disappointed that you didn't lose 3 lbs, consider trying IP.

Another consideration is which maintenance program can you best live with for life.

Be sure to budget not only for the 3 to 6 weeks in Phase 1, but also the one week in Phase 2 (2 packets/day) and the two weeks in Phase 3 (1 packet/day), plus a couple of months worth of supplements.

Is it possible that you have been gaining muscle and losing fat which is skewing your scale weight? Are you wearing smaller clothes than you have previously at the same weight?

Also, will you miss the social aspect of the WW meeting and info or do you really prefer the 1 on 1 coaching attention (which is part of what you are paying for within the expense of the products)?

Do let us know what you choose and how the two compare for you (if you come over to the IP side).
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 248/213/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:

Thanks!
I was on WW for many months and one fourth pound was a norm for me. And I was very hungry all the time. I've been loosing 2 lbs. consistently for several weeks. I'm happy and I'm not hungry!
Rhonduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 145/124.8/120

Height: 5'2.5"

You asked me here, and look! I made it!

I started at 145 and lost 6.5 pounds the first week, then slow for several weeks, then lost 4.5, then slow again. If you average it out, it is 1.8 pounds a week. I did not exercise for the first three weeks and saw the most consistent losses then, though I was heavier and the more you weigh, the faster you (usually) lose. So now I am around 128, and the scale doesn't seem to be moving much, but my body is continuing to change. I think my bodyfat levels are still decreasing.

I am also 48 years old.

Oh, when I started exercising again on IP, I started slowly as if I were a beginner (I am not; I have been exercising consistently for over 20 years). I still wouldn't call what I'm doing "hard", but I figure in Phase 2 I will have a little more energy from the increase in calories and then I can ramp it up.

I didn't cheat for 8 weeks, and then I had wine. That didn't help the scale either.

I do really like life with packets. I didn't think I would, but now I find myself resisting Phase 2, which I need to start because I want to be comfortable with Phase 4 when I go on vacation at the end of October.
locopollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #10  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

It took me forever to lose weight with WW...IP is much quicker and i'm not starving all of the time!! This was before the points system though. With IP I don't have to worry about what i'm going to eat...with points, you can eat practically anything, and ahem, I wouldn't always make the right choice...
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #11  
Back for a tweak

I just have to say you guys ALL ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so happy to see all of these amazing replies - now to go back and adress them. THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!! Did I say YOU ROCK!! :-)
Old 09-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #12  
Back for a tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoplease View Post
Well...
Do you happen to know your body fat %? Are you over 40?

I had my bodyfat done at the IP session - it is 28%. I am 49 years old.
You seem to be pretty steady at a half a pound per week on 1000 to 1200 cals.

If a pound of fat is 3500 cals, then you have a 1750 calorie deficit each week. Which is about 250 per day less than you require, based on your activity level and current weight.

At your current weight of 123, the range might be 1230 (no movement) to 1845 (activity & muscle mass); let's call that 1500. At your goal of 115, a best guess on calories required might range from 1150 to 1725, let's call that 1400. So, conservatively, you are slowly going to require 100 calories less per day or 700 calories less per week as your weight decreases. That is about .2 lbs.

The latest version of IP, with the 8 oz of protein at dinner is supposed to be 1100 calories (per a seminar). Let's say you always pick the items in the 80 calorie range and never pick the ones at 150 or 200 calories, so you are able to keep it more along the lines of 900 calories. (REMEMBER, we don't calorie count on IP...)

1500-900=600 per day deficit, 600x7=4200 per week, 4200/3500 = 1.2 lbs per week.
At the end this would drop to 1400-900=500, 500x7=3500, 3500/3500 = 1lb per week.

So, realistically you can expect to lose 1 to 1.2 lbs per week based on the math. People do lose differently from the math because our bodies are not calculators, other factors enter in.

If you have been having fruit and bread as part of your 1000 to 1200 calories per day, you might see a larger weight loss (it's a water adjustment plus fat) your first week. Or, you may have already lost that water weight.

Fruit, pasta, breads, cereals - no restricted foods on WW - just restricted portion sizes. I too am thinking that all the carbs are the problem. Although I have days where I try to cut carbs, but only starchy carbs - I always have fruit and usually one slice of whole grain toast for breakfast.
Even the dramatic change between WW food choices and IP food choices might help you "beat the math".

That is what I'm thinking. I'm a carb addict and I think I need to get them outta my system for a while. And I like all the white ones best.

For me to get from 132.6 to 123.6 on IP, with working out, took 6 weeks.
Losses ranged from 1.0 to 2.0 lbs. (The previous 6 weeks, from 143 to 132.6, weight losses ranged from 1.0 to 2.6, and I did no exercise).

As long as you are mentally prepared to be excited about losses of 1 lb per week--twice what you are losing now, and not disappointed that you didn't lose 3 lbs, consider trying IP.

Another consideration is which maintenance program can you best live with for life.

Be sure to budget not only for the 3 to 6 weeks in Phase 1, but also the one week in Phase 2 (2 packets/day) and the two weeks in Phase 3 (1 packet/day), plus a couple of months worth of supplements.

Is it possible that you have been gaining muscle and losing fat which is skewing your scale weight? Are you wearing smaller clothes than you have previously at the same weight?

Yes, definitely!! I lost 3 inches off my waist and hips each and have gone down a size in clothes.

Also, will you miss the social aspect of the WW meeting and info or do you really prefer the 1 on 1 coaching attention (which is part of what you are paying for within the expense of the products)?

I actually HATE the WW meetings and never go. I only drop in there to get weighed. I do much better with one on one, and the lady who owns the clinic is my friend's sister which is great.

Do let us know what you choose and how the two compare for you (if you come over to the IP side).
I am pretty certain I am going to do IP - I think there are enough differences in the program that it will help me jump start this last 10 pounds.

I cannot thank you enough for your detailed thought out answer, gives me great and valuable info - I'll be re-reading that one a few times.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #13  
Back for a tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
3 months MAX...on IP you are given the IDEAL amount of protein for your body to survive, nothing more. BUT, you would have to give up the exercise!!...You only take in 700-900 cals a day and working out "hard" burns MORE than that....NO EXERCISE and you would do it probably quicker..just my 2 cents
I just have to tell you something I'm sure you've heard a million times now - I am IN AWE of your progress. What an example!!!!! Just freaking WOW!!!

I am aware of the exercise (I posted another thread talking about the workouts). I don't mind cutting back the cardio (I am actually looking forward to that cause I do it EVERY SINGLE DAY and need a break). The weights are going to be harder and I really hope I can get back to that aspect fairly quickly so that I don't lose the gains I've made in that area over the past 3 months.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #14  
Back for a tweak

Quote:
Originally Posted by locopollo View Post
You asked me here, and look! I made it!

I started at 145 and lost 6.5 pounds the first week, then slow for several weeks, then lost 4.5, then slow again. If you average it out, it is 1.8 pounds a week. I did not exercise for the first three weeks and saw the most consistent losses then, though I was heavier and the more you weigh, the faster you (usually) lose. So now I am around 128, and the scale doesn't seem to be moving much, but my body is continuing to change. I think my bodyfat levels are still decreasing.

I am also 48 years old.

Oh, when I started exercising again on IP, I started slowly as if I were a beginner (I am not; I have been exercising consistently for over 20 years). I still wouldn't call what I'm doing "hard", but I figure in Phase 2 I will have a little more energy from the increase in calories and then I can ramp it up.

I didn't cheat for 8 weeks, and then I had wine. That didn't help the scale either.

I do really like life with packets. I didn't think I would, but now I find myself resisting Phase 2, which I need to start because I want to be comfortable with Phase 4 when I go on vacation at the end of October.
Thanks for posting. We are the same age.

I think I will also like "life with packets" LOL. I seem to do better on programs where things are prepackaged and you don't have to make a lot of decisions and choices. Yes it is more restrictive, but for me I think that's good.

Although I have also tried Nutri System a few times and didn't do that great with it - the same half pound loss per week. But their food is REALLY HORRIBLE and I got sick of it after about a month - I just could not stomach it anymore.

I don't drink at all, so that won't be a factor.

I would take 1.8 over .5 loss per week any day.

Thanks for sharing, I really appreciate it.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 145/124.8/120

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Thanks for posting. We are the same age.

I think I will also like "life with packets" LOL. I seem to do better on programs where things are prepackaged and you don't have to make a lot of decisions and choices. Yes it is more restrictive, but for me I think that's good.

Although I have also tried Nutri System a few times and didn't do that great with it - the same half pound loss per week. But their food is REALLY HORRIBLE and I got sick of it after about a month - I just could not stomach it anymore.

I don't drink at all, so that won't be a factor.

I would take 1.8 over .5 loss per week any day.

Thanks for sharing, I really appreciate it.
I'm around 28% bodyfat too. It seems to be decreasing while the scale stays to same, which is fine with me!
locopollo is offline   Reply With Quote