Old 08-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #1  
knm

S/C/G: 146/146/125

Height: 5'1

Default Veggie Chips/Fries Questions

I've been reading about all the different veggie chips/fries that people have been making - zucchini chips, kale chips, rutabaga fries, turnip fries.
I tried the rutabage fries a few times, and didn't mind them, but couldn't get them to crisp up very well without burning them, so ate them somewhat raw.
Just wondering if anyone has tried the other ones and if they can compare them and add any suggestions to make them more crisp.

Thanks.
knm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #2  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

Height: 5'6"

The advice from other posts suggest a few different things to try:
(correct me if I'm wrong -- I'm a "burner" so far! LOL)
-- slice thinly and evenly (like with a mandolin slicer if you can)
-- before cooking, you might even absorb some juicier liquids by leaving on a paper towel for a bit
-- put them on baking paper (and it doesn't need to be greased/sprayed was one suggestion)
-- cook low and long -- your lowest oven setting for like 3 hours
-- some people spritz with oil or 'spray' oil, others don't. Maybe try 1/2 with and 1/2 without to see which results in "crispier" as I'm not sure
-- try using a dehydrator as an alternative
-- go sparing on the flavours as they intensify with shrinkage (e.g salt)
-- Rainbow decided to turn them LESS often I believe, but they definitely need to be turned once half way through
-- make more than you think you need as they shrink down small, and are eaten up pretty darn quickly!

Those are the "gists" of what I've been reading through the posts. Again, I am no expert, but am going to try the above advice on my next batches. I'll let you know if I burn them too! LOL
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #3  

Anyone know how to make turnip fries get CRIPSY?
I made some last nite but they started to burn so I had to take them out.
I julienned them on the mandolin

Maybe my desire for crispy needs to remain with my zucchini and kale chips....

Last edited by lisa32989; 10-20-2012 at 08:50 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #4  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

I don't find the turnip fries get crispy - but they do brown and I'm absolutely addicted to them!! For me they are just like the real thing - I absolutely cannot stop eating them!!!!

I just put them in for 30-35 minutes on parchment paper - tossed with onion powder, garlic salt, salt, pepper and oil - oh so DELICIOUS!!
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 09:30 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
I don't find the turnip fries get crispy - but they do brown and I'm absolutely addicted to them!! For me they are just like the real thing - I absolutely cannot stop eating them!!!!

I just put them in for 30-35 minutes on parchment paper - tossed with onion powder, garlic salt, salt, pepper and oil - oh so DELICIOUS!!
Yes they are good. My question was about how to get them crispy.

Anyone?
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #6  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Yes they are good. My question was about how to get them crispy.

Anyone?
Lisa,

I do not think they will get crispy. I cook mine now in the Actifry. I cook them exactly like I do DH's french fries. His get crispier (nothing compared to a deep fryer though) and the turnip fries do not. You don't have the oil or the starch to crisp them up. Stick with the chips for your crispy and the turnip fries for taste. IMO

Molly
WingnutandMe is offline   Reply With Quote