Old 08-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/173/160-ish

Height: 5'7"

Default Need an IP Friendly Beef Marinade...quickly!

I'm hoping some of you more experienced IPers can help me.

I have two beautiful Flank Steaks (beef) in my fridge that I had planned on for dinner tomorrow night, but as I'm mixing the marinade, I realize it's not AT ALL IP Friendly (coke/beer, oil, BBQ Sauce, etc.)

So, I'm hoping someone can help with a great and tasty marinade for Beef. I need it ASAP, as I want these steaks to marinade overnight.

Thanks!
Humber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #2  
IP Newb

S/C/G: 195/195/140

Height: 5'4

i just had flank steak marniated in walden farms asian and it was GOOD.

I also do it in soy sauce, olive oil, garlic and ginger
Aimiloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #3  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humber View Post
I'm hoping some of you more experienced IPers can help me.

I have two beautiful Flank Steaks (beef) in my fridge that I had planned on for dinner tomorrow night, but as I'm mixing the marinade, I realize it's not AT ALL IP Friendly (coke/beer, oil, BBQ Sauce, etc.)

So, I'm hoping someone can help with a great and tasty marinade for Beef. I need it ASAP, as I want these steaks to marinade overnight.

Thanks!
Here are some recipes and then also some seasonings.
Molly

Carne Asada
2 pounds flank or skirt steak
Olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Marinade:
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon freshly ground cumin seed (best to lightly toast the seeds first, then grind them)
1 large handful fresh cilantro, leaves and stems, finely chopped (great flavor in the stems)
2 limes, juiced
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon splenda or equivalent of sweet leaf drops
1/2 cup olive oil
Directions:
Lay the flank steak in a large non-reactive bowl or baking dish. Combine marinade ingredients and pour the marinade over the steak. Make sure each piece is well coated. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
2 Preheat your grill over medium-high flame (you can also use a cast iron grill pan on high heat for stove-top cooking). Brush the grates with a little oil to prevent the meat from sticking. Remove the steak from the marinade. If you are cooking indoors, you may want to brush off excess marinade as the bits may burn and smoke on the hot pan. Season both sides of the steak pieces with salt and pepper. Grill the pieces for a few minutes only, on each side, depending on how thin they are, until medium rare to well done, to your preference. You may need to work in batches. Remove the steak pieces to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak across the grain on a diagonal.

GRILLED PEPPER STEAK W/ SWEET VINEGAR MUSTARD MUSHROOM SAUCE

Steak (your choice of cut)
Ground Black Pepper & Sea Salt
1 -2 tsp Mustard Powder
Fresh Mushrooms
Rosemary (Fresh or Dried)
2 tsp Olive Oil
Ground Black Pepper & Sea Salt
2 - 4 TB Dijon or Provence (Garlic + Red Pepper) Mustard (sugar-free)
1 tsp American Mustard
1 - 2 tsp Vinegar (strong or apple)
1 tsp Splenda (or other sweetener)
Black Pepper & Sea Salt
Red or White Onion (chopped)
Salad
Cucumbers (chopped)
Dill Pickles (chopped)
Directions:
1. Sprinkle steak with mustard powder. Then sprinkle with black pepper and sea salt to taste.
2. Grill steak on barbeque, pan or oven.
3. Add salad and cucumbers to your plate.
4. When steak is ready, remove from heat and cut into strips when cool enough to handle. Place on the bed of lettuce.
5. Put mushrooms in a bowl. Add Olive Oil, rosemary, and salt& pepper to taste and stir till covered.
6. Grill mushrooms until cooked. Take off heat. When cooled, chop into bite size pieces or slices (including stems)
(Alternately, you can use canned mushrooms (drained) and cook in a pan with a touch of olive oil and spices, but th e flavor is better with fresh grilled mushrooms)
7. Add the Mustards, vinegar, splenda, and spices to a frying pan and heat. Add in onion and stir till it just starts to bubble. IMPORTANT! Taste the sauce. Add more vinegar, mustard or splenda to taste until balanced. You can add in 1 oz milk or water if overall taste is too strong, but be careful not to make too sauce too thin.
8. Add in cooked and chopped mushrooms and stir.
9. Immediately spoon over the steak on the salad and eat right away.

Lemon Flank Steak Skewers
2/3 Cup of Olive Oil
4 teaspoons lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
4 (2-pound) flank steaks, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
50 (12-inch) wooden skewers
Italian parsley
Directions
Combine first 5 ingredients in a shallow dish or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; add steak. Cover or seal, and chill 8 hours, turning occasionally.
Place skewers in water to cover, and let soak 10 minutes.
Remove steak from marinade, discarding marinade.
Thread each steak slice onto 1 skewer.
Grill skewers, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 4 to 5 minutes on each side or to desired degree of doneness. Serve with Lemon Dipping Sauce. Garnish, if desired.

Chimchurri Grilled Steak Salad!

Chimichurri sauce is a zingy Argentinean sauce made with garlic, parsley, vinegar and oil. Here chimichurri sauce doubles as marinade for flank steak and as salad dressing for this grilled steak salad recipe.

It looks long here, but it's actually quite simple and quick to make...

1 cup packed flat-leaf parsley leaves
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/4 cup cup
1small clovegarlic, chopped
3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
1 pound flank steak, trimmed
2 hearts of romaine or 2 small heads
1large bell pepper, quartered
1small red onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
Directions:
1. Puree parsley, 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a blender. Pat 1 tablespoon of the mixture on each side of steak. Put the steak on a plate, cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours. Add 3 tablespoons oil to the herb mixture remaining in the blender; pulse to blend. Transfer to a bowl, cover and refrigerate if not using right away.

2. Twenty minutes before you are ready to grill, preheat grill to medium-high.

3. Cut each heart (or head) of romaine in half lengthwise, leaving the root end intact. Brush lettuce, bell pepper and onion with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle the steak with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let the dressing come to room temperature if necessary while you grill.

4. Take the steak, lettuce, bell pepper and onion out to the grill. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Put everything on the grill, placing the steak on the hottest part. Grill the steak, turning once, until desired doneness, 6 to 8 minutes per side for medium. Grill the pepper and onion, turning occasionally, until charred and tender, about 10 minutes total. Grill the lettuce, turning once, until lightly charred, about 2 minutes per side.

5. Let the steak rest on a clean cutting board for 5 minutes, then thinly slice against the grain. Chop the bell pepper and onion. Divide the lettuce, steak, pepper and onion among 4 plates. Drizzle with the reserved dressing.

Serves: 4

Tip: Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.

To Make Ahead: Prepare through Step 1 up to 1 day ahead.

Jerk Seasoning
1 tbsp onion flakes
2 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp onion powder
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
2 tbsp Splenda

Barbecue Rub
1/4 c Splenda
1 tbsp seasoning salt
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp celery salt
1 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp lemon pepper
1 tsp sage
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
WingnutandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/164/150

Height: 5'3"

Easiest one I make is soy sauce, garlic, and Worcestershire sauce. So delcious on london broil. Just let it marinade all day

Last edited by BeckyS25; 09-04-2012 at 09:48 AM.
BeckyS25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #5  
Started July 23 2013

S/C/G: 293.6

WF sesame ginger would be pretty good too.
jebaughman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #6  
IP Start: 8/15/12

S/C/G: 286/217/158

I just posted this in the recipe thread. I'm sure it would make a great marinade too:

Slow Cooker Roast Beef

I made this after finding the link below, and it was awesome! I forgot the pepper but didn't miss it. I used less-sodium soy sauce and it was plenty salty. Ohhh so good, and easy - we'll be making this again! (The original recipe says to cook on low for 22 hrs, but I was skeptical and went with 8 hrs and it was wonderful). The soup mix has 8 carbs per packet, but this gets so diluted I think what you consume is less than .5 carb per serving.

3 pounds beef chuck roast
1/3 cup soy sauce
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
1. Pour the soy sauce and dry onion soup mix into the slow cooker. Mix well. Place chuck roast into slow cooker. Add water until the top 1/2 inch of the roast is not covered. Add the fresh ground pepper over the top. 2. Cover and cook on low for 8 - 22 hours.
stargirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 216/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
Here are some recipes and then also some seasonings.
Molly

Carne Asada
2 pounds flank or skirt steak
Olive oil
Marinade:
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1 teaspoon freshly ground cumin seed (best to lightly toast the seeds first, then grind them)
1 large handful fresh cilantro, leaves and stems, finely chopped (great flavor in the stems)
2 limes, juiced
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1/2 teaspoon splenda or equivalent of sweet leaf drops
1/2 cup olive oil
Directions:
Lay the flank steak in a large non-reactive bowl or baking dish. Combine marinade ingredients and pour the marinade over the steak. Make sure each piece is well coated. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-4 hours.
2 Preheat your grill over medium-high flame (you can also use a cast iron grill pan on high heat for stove-top cooking). Brush the grates with a little oil to prevent the meat from sticking. Remove the steak from the marinade. If you are cooking indoors, you may want to brush off excess marinade as the bits may burn and smoke on the hot pan. Season both sides of the steak pieces with salt and pepper. Grill the pieces for a few minutes only, on each side, depending on how thin they are, until medium rare to well done, to your preference. You may need to work in batches. Remove the steak pieces to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak across the grain on a diagonal.
This sounds delightful!! Thanks for sharing!!

I use soy sauce, Mrs Dash steak seasoning, garlic, Crystal hot sauce, and black pepper. Then let it marinade for a few hours.
jricks96 is offline   Reply With Quote