Old 08-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #1  

Default Diabetic on Ideal Protein Q&A??

We should maybe make this a common thread
I'm sure i'm not the only on this program that is a Type 2 diabetic?

I have been finding that in the afternoons around 4 to 4:30 I have been hitting around the high 60s to low 70s.

This is lower then is good. I am having to eat 1/2 of a bar to keep my numbers up in the mid 70s till my evening meal. I have already cut my meds in 1/2. I will see if this continues and might ask my Dr. to take me off of them while I am doing IP. Any one else have this happen to them?
CJ
celtsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

I was insulin dependent and was completely off insulin 10 days into the plan. I probably should have gone off earlier but needed to talk to my doctor and couldn't get in. Four months later I was completely off every kind of medication, including metformin, and my A1c's are perfect.

I can't comment on your numbers because we measure them differently in Canada so it's like reading Greek to me.

Good luck - it really does change your pancreas for the better!
IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #3  
Holding on TIGHT

S/C/G: 225/195.4/166.2/135

Height: 5'1

I'm another diabetic here...my numbers go up and down depending on what I eat...I usually range from 100 to 125 now. Before IP the numbers were all over the map! I can't even touch the bars because they raise my blood sugars too high...The dark chocolate shake does it to me too, but I still eat that one. but as I continue to lose I will sometime get to the point where I can have them and my bs's won't change. I have had my metformin dose cut in half and I am of Byetta. My doctor is having me monitor my blood pressure to see if I can get off and I am thinking so because I have bouts of dizziness that isn't from lack of salt or water for that matter. I would love to hear from any other diabetics out there...
fourstubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #4  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

My husband is a Type 1 diabetic so not quite the same situation, but I have hypothyroid and my doc said that due to the anti-inflammatory nature of this diet I may find that I need my meds dosed down as I go along. The BEST thing you can do is involve your doc in the process. They can adjust your meds along the way if needed, but may want you to test/monitor yourself more frequently to track changes.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Hi,

I spent the first month on IP still using metformin, and was nauseated and really miserable the whole time. When I finally called my doctor, the nurse told me I should have stopped the metformin immediately, but I didn't know that. My doctor had told me about IP, but I had forgotten to tell him that I decided to do it.

Within a day of stopping metformin, I felt better.

I was also on 3 blood pressure meds, and about 3 months into the diet, I literally passed out, so they started phasing me off the BP meds. It was scary, because I live alone and I fell to the floor and got bruised up.

So, definitely work with your doctor on this. The coaches are great but they are no substitute for your doctor when we've got health problems like this.

Good luck !!!

Margaret
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 AM   #6  

Yes my DR's didn't quite know what to make of me. But have agreed that i can transition off of them. I am already cutting it in 1/2 from starting ip
So far so good. I still hit like 68 from time to time on the 1/2 med dosage
CJ
Old 09-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #7  

well i am down to 1/2 a pill a day now so 500 at morning. I will see what i do this week. I may stop it next week. I figure i should ween myself off of it. Today feeling kinda crappy and nauseous. Hanging in there.
Drinking more water more then likely will help.
i keep going down to the low 70s sometimes 65. So its time to change things up again.
I've lost 25 lbs in about 4 weeks.
Keeping it up!
CJ
Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #8  

Hello all. Great information. I'm getting started tomorrow, Type II insulin resistant. On Humulin RU500, metformin, and a few BP meds. A little concerned about lows for insulin and BP. Coach did not indicate bars and the thing I have with highest carbs is strawberry banana drink (10). Used to needing 15 when low.

Thank you all for your feedback.
beepure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #9  
Started IP 12-26-2012

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepure View Post
Hello all. Great information. I'm getting started tomorrow, Type II insulin resistant. On Humulin RU500, metformin, and a few BP meds. A little concerned about lows for insulin and BP. Coach did not indicate bars and the thing I have with highest carbs is strawberry banana drink (10). Used to needing 15 when low.

Thank you all for your feedback.
Make sure you have some glucose tabs or some quick sugars with you, in case you do hit too much of a low. You should have some of the higher carb bars just in case.

I had a couple bouts of low blood sugar the first few weeks, before I figured out how to make sure I didn't reach that. I have to eat every 2 hrs to make sure I don't go too low. Thank God both times my daughter was with me and said, "Mom! EAT!" because I was mumbling and not making sense. I haven't had a problem since, and I make sure I keep a bar in my purse, and I also keep an Ostrim jerky stick in there too when I need fast protein.

I'm still on Metformin, because my A1C is good, but not good enough. I'm 2 months in, and I'm hoping by the time this is over, I'm off my meds.
leannekarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #10  
Started IP 5/25/13

S/C/G: 196.5/152/145

Height: 5ft 6 in

A friend who has type 2 diabetes is interested in the IP Diet. Is there a protocol/fact sheet I can give her?
bluegirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:10 PM   #11  
Joined IP July 25, 2013

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegirl9 View Post
A friend who has type 2 diabetes is interested in the IP Diet. Is there a protocol/fact sheet I can give her?
There is an Alternative Plan for Diabetics. On that plan you can have some fruits and breads.

I was what my doctor called "pre-diabetic" (Type II) prior to IP. I was on Metformin and Byetta. One day (about a week into the program) my blood sugars were around 50...immediately made an apt with my doc, who pulled me off of the Byetta and I've phased almost completely off the Metformin...should be done with that in the next month or so if my levels stay low. Crazy to think that only 2 weeks of changing my eating habits made such a difference. If feels so good to be reducing the amount of meds I'm putting in my body every day, just by changing the way I eat!
Meeshellee is offline   Reply With Quote