Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #106  
Feed Your Freedom

S/C/G: 399.8/362.0/224

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsPookie View Post
Hi Everyone

Just thought I would share this....do you tell everyone you are on the IP Program right away....or do you wait for a while until someone notices your weight loss?
I am asking this because like most of you I have been on every kind of diet going and I don't want people sort of rolling their eyes or asking me constantly how much I have lost.
hi sharon
i have told only a few few people, my DH, the friends here on 3fc, and
i made the mistake of telling my mom!!! she is in the category of those who roll their eyes...and her first comment to me was OH LORD, WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW...and then she gave me incredible grief over me NOT eating carrots. i decided not to tell anyone else. not even my grown kids. i have not seem them purposely making excuses since 4th of july and no one noticed from my family at all at the annual cookout. NO ONE despite having lost over 50 pounds at that time. but i did wear some over sized clothing to give them the benefit of the doubt. i really haven't been out much, i am some what a hermit...but my neighbor hasn't mentioned anything to me and she saw me last night and i have now lost 75 pounds so i know its noticeable!
i wish i had never told my mom who lives in another state b/c now all she asks is how is your crazy diet going when she rings. i just always try to change the subject and hopefully when i get to see her again at the holidays i will have 100 pounds gone!! maybe THEN she will notice and not be so critical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
I only tell people if they ask. Generally though I just say I'm on a low carb diet and go into further explanation if they start to ask me exactly what I'm doing. The same thing happened to me... went on vacation gained 14 pounds (didn't know that it was even possible to gain that much in one week), but lost all of it after one week back on phase 1. Water weight would be an understatement in my case.

It's funny that you mention exercise because I just came across this on one of my paleo blogs. It talks about women who mainly have subcutaneous fat vs. men who generally have visceral fat.

"Subcutaneous fat differs from fat that lies deeper in the body and cushions our organs. This is called visceral fat. Subcutaneous fat, on the other hand is the fat we most see lying under the skin. Too much fat can cause the skin to become tight or stretched, and result in dreaded cellulite or a dimpled look of the skin. When subcutaneous fat is relatively small in amount, it tends to lie loosely under the skin layers and is thus less visible.

Not all subcutaneous fat is bad, or contributes to what some people consider unsightly. In fact, many people have fat injections to plump out their face and reduce the look of wrinkles. So as much as some of us may battle subcutaneous fat that contributes to notable cellulite, many others seek subcutaneous fat injections to maintain younger looking faces, or hands.

To reduce subcutaneous fat, many people resort to dieting. However, since this fat stores energy, it is often more easily reduced with exercise. Studies focusing on fat measurements show that women who exercise three to four times a week tended to have greater subcutaneous fat weight loss. About 60% of the pounds lost from exercise were subcutaneous fat. Dieters who did not exercise regularly still lost weight, but only about 30% of their weight loss was subcutaneous fat tissue."

I know when I read articles about loose skin, the authors always say that loose skin is generally always subcutaneous fat, and so with time, and exercise we really can help the problem. No we aren't going to look like 20 or 30 year olds again, but heck at this point I'd take a 40 year old.
With that said I'm off to the gym to weight lift, walk and burn some of that subcutaneous fat!
dana this is awesome info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just awesome!!!!!!!!!!! people always tell me i look young for my age, most often guessing around 35!!!! and i knew it was because of the plump fatness. i am so worried about losing and suddenly looking OLD OLD OLD in the face!!!! i don't really care about what clothes can hide...the loose skin etc...as i know i will have tons...but can use under garments to hold that all in place but i so do not want to look all baggie and wrinkled in the face!! maybe i need to do some facial exercises!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSA-1tZZTPM

fast forward to 1:30 if you want a good laugh!!

omg....i haven't laughed so hard in a long long time i nearly peed my pants!!!!

Last edited by rainbowsmiles; 08-21-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 194.4/188.3/134

Height: 5'1"

rainbow, that link is hilarious!!!! "Your Turn!" hahahahhaha!!!!

Dana loved the info on the fat!

thank you both. I enjoyed reading the thread while enjoying my DELICIOUS lunch!

Have a great day...back to work!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #108  
Feed Your Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEJEWEL View Post
rainbow, that link is hilarious!!!! "Your Turn!" hahahahhaha!!!!
!
yep...no double chins for us!!!! hahaha
your turn!!!!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:05 PM   #109  
Started IP 4/13/2012

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Hi Everyone

Just thought I would share this....do you tell everyone you are on the IP Program right away....or do you wait for a while until someone notices your weight loss?
I am asking this because like most of you I have been on every kind of diet going and I don't want people sort of rolling their eyes or asking me constantly how much I have lost.
I usually just tell folks that I'm cutting back. Maybe when I get closer to goal then i will probably tell them all about IP.

BTW.....I'm 56 and been on the program since Apr/2012. I went on vacation and gained 9 lbs but went right back on program when I got back home....lost it all in the next 2 weeks. Now if I can just get my butt in gear and exercise more and maybe speed up the weight loss process. I have about 50 to go....I'm hoping to have it almost gone by Christmas.

Sharon G.
Hope everyone is have a terrific day
I have only told my DH and DD because they live with me and 2 friends because they know what it's like to have a significant amount of weight to lose and are always supportive in every way. If anyone notices my weight loss when I go back to school this week after summer vacation, I will just say I've cut back on carbs and basically stay away from "white" food. Like you, I may share the IP info when I'm closer to goal. I'm a fairly private person and find no need to share with most friends/family/colleagues how much weight I've lost or how much I have left to lose. If they ask, I guess I will just say something like, "Enough to keep me healthy."
Good luck with losing the remaining pounds by Christmas. I'm hoping for the same thing.
~Cindi
Old 08-21-2012, 05:30 PM   #110  
Feed Your Freedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbecause53 View Post
I'm a fairly private person and find no need to share with most friends/family/colleagues how much weight I've lost or how much I have left to lose. If they ask, I guess I will just say something like, "Enough to keep me healthy."
Good luck with losing the remaining pounds by Christmas. I'm hoping for the same thing.
~Cindi
what a good response!!! i think i'll remember that when / if the time comes!!
Old 08-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #111  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
maybe i need to do some facial exercises!!

ROFL.... that was way too funny. Should have gone to the bathroom first as the old bladder is not what it use to be. My whole family is home right now and I had to call them all to my computer to watch this. Also, loved her big hair! Must be from the 80's I'm guessing. Now where did I put those shoulder pads for my dress?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:21 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 242/242/150

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
hi sharon
i have told only a few few people, my DH, the friends here on 3fc, and
i made the mistake of telling my mom!!! she is in the category of those who roll their eyes...and her first comment to me was OH LORD, WHAT ARE YOU DOING NOW...and then she gave me incredible grief over me NOT eating carrots. i decided not to tell anyone else. not even my grown kids. i have not seem them purposely making excuses since 4th of july and no one noticed from my family at all at the annual cookout. NO ONE despite having lost over 50 pounds at that time. but i did wear some over sized clothing to give them the benefit of the doubt. i really haven't been out much, i am some what a hermit...but my neighbor hasn't mentioned anything to me and she saw me last night and i have now lost 75 pounds so i know its noticeable!
i wish i had never told my mom who lives in another state b/c now all she asks is how is your crazy diet going when she rings. i just always try to change the subject and hopefully when i get to see her again at the holidays i will have 100 pounds gone!! maybe THEN she will notice and not be so critical.

dana this is awesome info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just awesome!!!!!!!!!!! people always tell me i look young for my age, most often guessing around 35!!!! and i knew it was because of the plump fatness. i am so worried about losing and suddenly looking OLD OLD OLD in the face!!!! i don't really care about what clothes can hide...the loose skin etc...as i know i will have tons...but can use under garments to hold that all in place but i so do not want to look all baggie and wrinkled in the face!! maybe i need to do some facial exercises!!

This video is way too funny but I have to admit I did the exercises with her. Ouch, I think I pulled a neck muscle
Old 08-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #113  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Hi All!

Dana, thanks for starting this thread! It is awesome!

I had my WI tonight and lost "only" one pound. I've been 100% the whole time, so I chalk it up to body adjustment, age, oh, I don't know what else. I'll just keep on keeping on...

I'm adjusting to the schedule back in school. Delgen and Patns, I'm also in teacher education, although it's music education. Today was my first day of classes and I really do love my job. It's great to go upstairs just a little easier!

I'm still figuring out the best way to get water in on a teaching day. If I leave it til the afternoon, I'm up 3 times during the night. Has anyone else figured this one out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgen View Post
[B] I reached my original goal at WI today...135, and I'm at 28 BMI. ...Truthfully, I wish I could stay on Phase 1 forever.
However, I have really relied on this site for encouragement and information, and this has been very easy. So my plan is to continue...go onto the next phases and keeping up with the great people here. And helping newbies too. That helps me a lot as well.
Congrats of getting to your goal!! That is wonderful!!!

Yes, I know what you mean about staying on Phase 1. It's easy, the food is good, and we don't have to think that much once we have made the commitment. I know that maintenance will be more difficult, but we can do it! You can do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoBan View Post
Yahoo, I'm back in the groove! Waved goodbye to 6.4#!!Happy dance! The last 2 wks. was kinda slow, 1.8, 1.7. But this am, made up for it! I haven't been in "onederland" since I was in my 20's. Feels great, just had to post, good luck everyone, with your WI this wk.
Congrats on your loss!

Quote:
good morning GOLDEN GIRLS!!!!!!!!

welcome to the fabulous 60's!!!! way to go!!
Of course, whenever I hear Welcome to the 60s I am compelled to sing (uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh -cue music from Hairspray.....)

Yes, I agree with the metabolism issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan1956 View Post
What a wonderful thread, Dana!! I am at work on a slow day perusing everyone's stories and feeling very humbled by all you have gone through in your lives and yet you have not let it keep you down. You have all risen above the trials and tribulations life has thrown at you and grown so much in the process. I am humbled and awed at your successes!!
I look forward to hearing all your stories and getting to know all the great over 50 women out there.
Welcome, Susan. Yes, it's a good place to be!

Quote:
Hi Everyone

I have about 50 to go....I'm hoping to have it almost gone by Christmas.

Sharon G.
Hi Sharon! I'm Sharon too! I'll have to agree with the others. I don't tell people unless they ask. My daughters and sister know about the diet. Others who know are people who have been on IP or friends who I see pretty often or go out to eat with. But I try to keep silent about it unless asked. Conserves energy that way.---and limits eye-rolling.

I hope everyone has a wonderful evening and a great week!

Sharon
Old 08-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 200/160/145

Height: 5'7"

Loved the YouTube video! It's called the lion? Did you look at your hair honey? Thanks for sharing that one!

On a 3 day weight loss stall here. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe while I'm sleeping? One can only hope...............
Old 08-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #115  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysh View Post
Hi All!

Dana, thanks for starting this thread! It is awesome!

I had my WI tonight and lost "only" one pound. I've been 100% the whole time, so I chalk it up to body adjustment, age, oh, I don't know what else. I'll just keep on keeping on...

I'm adjusting to the schedule back in school. Delgen and Patns, I'm also in teacher education, although it's music education. Today was my first day of classes and I really do love my job. It's great to go upstairs just a little easier!

I'm still figuring out the best way to get water in on a teaching day. If I leave it til the afternoon, I'm up 3 times during the night. Has anyone else figured this one out?
Hey a pound lost is one pound closer to goal. Besides, generally the weeks I had a low lose, was followed by a week with a good loss. You have to look at the big picture, not week to week. Good luck with the water issue. Last week was my first week back on phase 1, and the having to be near a bathroom was getting out of hand. I forgot how often you need to go when first starting phase 1. Thankfully this week is a little better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodmomma View Post
Loved the YouTube video! It's called the lion? Did you look at your hair honey? Thanks for sharing that one!

On a 3 day weight loss stall here. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe while I'm sleeping? One can only hope...............
Be patient, the scale WILL move. Just look at the big picture.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #116  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodmomma View Post

Just flipping that hair around was heavy duty exercise!!! i wonder what she looks like now after all the years passed??

Pat
Old 08-21-2012, 11:14 PM   #117  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by joysh View Post
Hi All!

Sharon
Oh music education would be fun!!! So many friends I grew up with were incredibly talented and so I have many friends who are music teachers but retired now. But i am totally untalented in that area. but some people have to be the audience and I am very good at that.

About your comment on the stairs, reminded me of a funny thing that happened to me several years ago when I was still quite heavy.

I was working in a school which was celebrating its 100th anniversary. People must have been in better shape back then because the stairs are steep there.
I was going upstairs with a six year old and he bounded up quickly. When I caught up to him he mentioned that it took me a lot longer than him and asked with great sincerity; "Do you think maybe you are fat?" He was so serious, I said yes that was part of it but also as you get older some parts of your body don't work as well and I have a knee that is not the best.
He reached over and patted my arm and said, "Oh, don't feel bad, it's not your fault, you are just old and fat!"
Time for IP!!

Pat
Old 08-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
Just flipping that hair around was heavy duty exercise!!! i wonder what she looks like now after all the years passed??

Pat
Pat, I was wondering the same thing. Maybe Rainbowsmiles can do some Internet sleuthing and come up with something...
🔍🔍🔍
Old 08-21-2012, 11:27 PM   #119  
Started IP 6/14/12

S/C/G: 202.8/165/135

Quote:
I was working in a school which was celebrating its 100th anniversary. People must have been in better shape back then because the stairs are steep there.
I was going upstairs with a six year old and he bounded up quickly. When I caught up to him he mentioned that it took me a lot longer than him and asked with great sincerity; "Do you think maybe you are fat?" He was so serious, I said yes that was part of it but also as you get older some parts of your body don't work as well and I have a knee that is not the best.
He reached over and patted my arm and said, "Oh, don't feel bad, it's not your fault, you are just old and fat!"
Time for IP!! Pat
Very funny! Kids are so untainted and honest. Love that he patted you and told you it's not your fault!
Old 08-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #120  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
WTG on reaching goal!!!!

I have noticed your posts and see that we have similar jobs, I train teachers too, having been one myself for many years. But i work in a school system , not in a college. at my age there is no way i could keep up with the physical demands of being a classroom teacher but really enjoy working with other teachers.
I actually go to conferences once in a while to Montana as both Alberta and Montana are part of the Rocky mountains branch of the International Reading Association.
But if I ever decide to drive down again someone better turn off the wind! I could hardly keep my little Nissan Versa on the road.

I will be looking forward to working through mainenance with everyone in this group as more and more people get to this point.

I just got back from vacation and need to get back to phase 1 for a bit. So far going well.
Awesome! I love Alberta, but have only been as far north as Calgary.

You must be in phase 4...I am pretty close!
Closed Thread