Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #61  

S/C/G: 168/138/130

Height: 5' 2"

Wow, has this ever exploded! Great idea!

I am 53 with 2 grown kids, and married for 32 years. My lovely DH has been supporting me for all 32 years of up and down dieting. I started my weight loss journey was with Weight Watchers at age 23. I was 136 pounds, at 5'2". I thought I was pretty fat. It worked...I got down to 106---for about 15 minutes. My husband thought I was so sexy...so we had our first child 9 months later. I told him that would happen...but he didn't care!

So I gained and kept on about 50 pounds, and then had our 2nd child, and went up to about 220. I have been on and off weight watchers for the past 30 years, and it seems that I just end up gaining more in the long run.

Don't you all think that is just a terrible emotional drain?
That was one of the reasons I was SO NERVOUS about starting IP I knew it would work, but I was just terrified of having to deal with it coning right back on again.

I reached my original goal at WI today...135, and I'm at 28 BMI. I would like to be at 25. But I'm not sure I could get there without a lot more work. So my coach and I agreed that I will stay on Phase 1 for about 2 more weeks and see what happens.

Truthfully, I wish I could stay on Phase 1 forever.

However, I have really relied on this site for encouragement and information, and this has been very easy. So my plan is to continue...go onto the next phases and keeping up with the great people here. And helping newbies too. That helps me a lot as well.

One thing that is different now is I know that I cannot eat a lot of carbs. That is my ammunition.

IP is something I take (like a medicine) to keep me healthy, emotionally and physically, every day.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #62  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles View Post
hey now...who u calling OLD!!!
WE ARE YOUNG!!!!!

We are young, heartache to heartache we stand
No promises, no demands
FAT Is A Battlefield
We are strong, no one can tell us we're wrong
Searchin' our hearts for so long, ALL of us knowing
FAT Is A Battlefield

Rainbow, you are amazing! Luv You, GF!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 245/209/180

Height: 5'6"

Default Monday Aug. 20 WI, Success!

Yahoo, I'm back in the groove! Waved goodbye to 6.4#!!Happy dance! The last 2 wks. was kinda slow, 1.8, 1.7. But this am, made up for it! I haven't been in "onederland" since I was in my 20's. Feels great, just had to post, good luck everyone, with your WI this wk.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #64  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
Good day. Hope things are going well for everyone today... diet-wise, and life in general.

The posts about loose skin caught my attention. A while ago on the general daily chat thread Chloe222 mentioned that argan oil is good, along with Nivea skin firming lotion w CoQ10. If memory serves me right, she'd gotten this tip from WingNutandMe. I haven't yet tried this, but did pick up some organic argan oil from my local health foods/supplement store this morning. I'll check for the Nivea firming lotion next time I'm at the drug store.

I've also been taking a supplement called Hubner original silicea balsam, which was recommended by the natural health practionner at the health food/supplement store to condition and strength my hair, nails, and skin and prevent hair loss. Apparently it contains biotin.
I did read that keeping your skin moisturized really does help when dealing with loose skin. The argan oil is a great idea. I also use coconut oil. I just put it on my skin before I step out of the shower and blot myself dry. The only problem is every time I smell the coconut oil I start craving an Almond Joy bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgen View Post

I am 53 with 2 grown kids, and married for 32 years. My lovely DH has been supporting me for all 32 years of up and down dieting. I started my weight loss journey was with Weight Watchers at age 23. I was 136 pounds, at 5'2". I thought I was pretty fat. It worked...I got down to 106---for about 15 minutes. My husband thought I was so sexy...so we had our first child 9 months later. I told him that would happen...but he didn't care!

So I gained and kept on about 50 pounds, and then had our 2nd child, and went up to about 220. I have been on and off weight watchers for the past 30 years, and it seems that I just end up gaining more in the long run.

That was one of the reasons I was SO NERVOUS about starting IP I knew it would work, but I was just terrified of having to deal with it coning right back on again.

I reached my original goal at WI today...135, and I'm at 28 BMI. I would like to be at 25. But I'm not sure I could get there without a lot more work. So my coach and I agreed that I will stay on Phase 1 for about 2 more weeks and see what happens.

However, I have really relied on this site for encouragement and information, and this has been very easy. So my plan is to continue...go onto the next phases and keeping up with the great people here. And helping newbies too. That helps me a lot as well.

One thing that is different now is I know that I cannot eat a lot of carbs. That is my ammunition.

IP is something I take (like a medicine) to keep me healthy, emotionally and physically, every day.
Wow, congrats on making goal.
This thread really has exploded and I think when we hit 10 pages we should start another volume (like the 100% thread does), that way we won't have to keep skimming all of the pages the longer this gets. Good idea or not everyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoBan View Post
Yahoo, I'm back in the groove! Waved goodbye to 6.4#!!Happy dance! The last 2 wks. was kinda slow, 1.8, 1.7. But this am, made up for it! I haven't been in "onederland" since I was in my 20's. Feels great, just had to post, good luck everyone, with your WI this wk.
Welcome to onederland, and it looks like you entered it with a big splash.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #65  

Height: 5'2"

Happy Monday Ladies!

Cindy (Delgen) I can totally relate to what you said about thinking you were fat at 136. I am also 5'2" and in my 20's thought I was fat at 120! What's that saying, "I wish I weighed what I did when I THOUGHT I was fat!" if only we had known what the future would hold for us we would have been happy with that weight!

I had my weigh in today and lost 1 lb. I'll take it considering I was not 100% on plan. Any loss is a good loss. It's a new week and I can focus on doing better this week. Hope everyone has good weigh ins this week!
Old 08-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #66  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

DanafromAustin-
You mentioned Almond Joy bar. Try e chocolate shake with both coconut and almond extracts, sooooo good!

Last edited by MaMaZu; 08-20-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #67  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post

Wow, congrats on making goal.
This thread really has exploded and I think when we hit 10 pages we should start another volume (like the 100% thread does), that way we won't have to keep skimming all of the pages the longer this gets. Good idea or not everyone?
I think that is a good idea, Dana.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #68  
Started IP 4/13/2012

Height: 5'4"

Quote:

Cindy, congratulations on achieving goal! I will look forward to watching your progress and reading your advice as you move into Phase 2 and beyond!
Old 08-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #69  

Height: 5'4"

Hi, all.
Dana, glad you started this thread. I have been watching your steady losses since you wrote about your son's bar mitzvah and your success on your cruises. I gained a wicked 10 lb "muffin-topper" during the week of my daughters bat mitzvah in November 2010 that would not go away (ah, immortalized fat pictures), plus it was around my middle with a vengeance and I am an "all over" gainer (is there a baby watermelon shape? or just apple or pear?). Then in May, 2011 I reached my all time high of 200 at a doctor visit. He said even 1 or 2 lbs a month would be fine; cut out the carbs or at least cut back and walk for exercise the days that end in y. Someone I met like 3 years before had mentioned IP. I made it to her clinic on Nov 1, 2011 after researching here as a lurker. (Not happy with the coach or the clinic and transferred to another clinic on Feb 1, 2012. And, now, that clinic closed and I will see the same coach at a new clinic on August 22. Yeah, it's time for alternatives but I really, really like this coach.) In alphabetical order I have successfully lost weight on the following programs and unsuccessfully maintained on all of them, too: Diet-To-Go, Diet Center, Lindora, Metabolic Research Center, Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers and stuff I have made up. I will be 54 next month.

I reached goal after about 9 months on IP and not even exercising until June (and I would have waited if not for the timing with my daughter's summer vacation). It has definitely taken the longest of any diet because I had the most amount to lose, ever, and never again. In my head I pretended that it was faster than other diets, but likely it was faster at first and slower later, so basically averaging about the same--just a tad under 2 lbs per week.

I had set a mental milestone of being on Phase 1 for six months. So I started to get antsy in May, and started to phase off at 135. The doctor had said I was good at 140. This put me into my "old school" size 6 and 8 jeans, but I did not seem to look as thin as my friends (Colorado, thinest state in the nation). As I know that maintenance is going to be the ever vigilant part, I thought I would be better motivated at a lower weight. So I kept going. I can share clothes with my 14 year old, which is kind of cool, but she does remind me of what is age appropriate (for me, not for her!). When I started to phase off, I thought I looked emaciated and was losing more lean mass for the last 15 lbs than earlier (but still within the 1lb LM/3lb FM for every 4lb on the scale). Now as I have phased off and am learning maintenance, the scale weight is within the same 2 lbs but it looks better. Pretty sure I am at what I weighed in high school (during the thinner years). Maybe slightly less. It is really amazing. I look every day. I want to remember for when I am tempted to stray from the maintenance rules or want to delay the P1 day after the Fun Day.

I am not a fruit lover, but even I started to miss it toward the end. I am not a big artificial sweetener fan, so I never used it in recipes or coffee or tea. Phase 1 was by far the easiest, most straightforward diet I have ever done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodmomma View Post
Maybe it's our age but has anyone found that we older, more mature, accepting (what a bunch of crap!) women tend to lose a bit slower than the younger chickies out there? I'm doin about 3 pounds a week- nothing to sneeze at mind you, but it seems that all of us in the "seasoned zone" don't give up those pounds as easily. Right? Or is it my imagination?
accepting? holy cow! I'm just not seeing THAT in MY 50s. Maybe for other women that I have never met.

3 pounds a week is AWESOME. I can count on one hand how many weeks I lost 3 pounds and one of them was the first week.

My theory is that with "seasoned living" we've done some metabolism injustices to already efficient (read that as wanting to store fat for famine) metabolisms. Plus, we've had more YEARS of carbs and high fructose corn syrup and processed foods to make sure there is plenty of "stuff" stored in our fat that is compromising the results of our 100% effort.

This link came with today's Ideal Coaching video: http://michaelpollan.com/articles-ar...unhappy-meals/

Basically, it contains a bunch of history on food ideas and their impacts.
Where it ties to my theory (or is the basis), is that we are releasing YEARS of things the human body can't yet process. As the fat is released, the body is going "what the h*ll am I supposed to do with THAT?" Maybe it tries to store it again as fat before it finally just has to let it go.

There is also some information in there on the importance of getting a variety of foods. Maybe our bodies are used to getting a non-variety (I guess we have to go beyond Coke slurpees and mint chocolate chip ice cream and chocolate cake?) and when they get these new nutrients, they again say "what the h*ll am I supposed to do with THAT? I haven't seen stuff like that without butter or cheese, like, ever." Maybe it has to remember how to process the good stuff into repairing cells or whatever else the biology is.

I like to think we are reversing the aging process. Those younger ladies are just standing still.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #70  

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbecause53 View Post
Cindy, congratulations on achieving goal! I will look forward to watching your progress and reading your advice as you move into Phase 2 and beyond!
Hey, thanks! I think I still have 2 more weeks on phase 1 to see how it goes. But I will be hanging around for a long time
Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlady View Post
I have been checking this sight out for a few weeks. I live near Panama City Beach in a small town Wewahitchka. I had gastric bypass 10 years ago and gained 60 pounds back. Turned 51 and everything has been changing with my body. Long story short I go to the Dr. tomorrow who has the diet in her office hoping all is good so I can get started on it. All of you are so amazing. Best of luck to all of you. I will be 52 next month.
Welcome and you will love IP!

Quote:

The posts about loose skin caught my attention. A while ago on the general daily chat thread Chloe222 mentioned that argan oil is good, along with Nivea skin firming lotion w CoQ10. If memory serves me right, she'd gotten this tip from WingNutandMe. I haven't yet tried this, but did pick up some organic argan oil from my local health foods/supplement store this morning. I'll check for the Nivea firming lotion next time I'm at the drug store.
Hi Evepet,
I received this tip re the argan oil from Sewmam and have been using it for a couple of months. Seems my arms are a tad tighter. I need to buy more argan oil and Nivea now.

I also take collagen powder in my shakes when I remember...also, use organic, virgin coconut oil daily for my memory. A friend told me about the book, "Stop Alzheimer's Now" and in it, coconut oil is the top supplement to stave off neuro-degenerative diseases (alzheimer's, parkinson's, ALS, etc.). haven't been diagnosed with any n-d diseases but my memory is weak at times and increasingly so. So have been using coconut oil for 2 months and in the past 2 weeks have noticed improvements in several areas of recall (short term recall, long term recall, still get tripped up on finding the right word when speaking). Anyway, I mention all this thinking it may help some of my fellow WWWW Fab 50+ IPeeps.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #72  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
I did read that keeping your skin moisturized really does help when dealing with loose skin. The argan oil is a great idea. I also use coconut oil. I just put it on my skin before I step out of the shower and blot myself dry. The only problem is every time I smell the coconut oil I start craving an Almond Joy bar.

Welcome to onederland, and it looks like you entered it with a big splash.
ITA about starting another volume at 10 pages. And LOL at your comment about the coconut oil scent making you crave an Almond Joy bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
Welcome and you will love IP!

Hi Evepet,
I received this tip re the argan oil from Sewmam and have been using it for a couple of months. Seems my arms are a tad tighter. I need to buy more argan oil and Nivea now.

I also take collagen powder in my shakes when I remember...also, use organic, virgin coconut oil daily for my memory. A friend told me about the book, "Stop Alzheimer's Now" and in it, coconut oil is the top supplement to stave off neuro-degenerative diseases (alzheimer's, parkinson's, ALS, etc.). haven't been diagnosed with any n-d diseases but my memory is weak at times and increasingly so. So have been using coconut oil for 2 months and in the past 2 weeks have noticed improvements in several areas of recall (short term recall, long term recall, still get tripped up on finding the right word when speaking). Anyway, I mention all this thinking it may help some of my fellow WWWW Fab 50+ IPeeps.
Hi Chloe,
I'm going to have to look into getting some collagen powder - that's one thing I've yet to get. Sorry - I got confused and said Molly/Wingnutandme rather than Sewmam like you said re the tip about argan oil, etc.

Like you, I'm a firm believer in the benefits of organic virgin coconut oil. I've used it as my main oil for more than a year now. In fact, when I'm thinking about the 1-2 tsp of oil we're to include daily, it's hard for me to remember to work in some evoo sometimes, as I prefer the ovco. I also put some in a small container that I keep in my bathroom vanity, add a few drops of tea tree oil, and add a dab of that mixture to my regular face moisturizer. I read somewhere that it helps to protect against sunburn, etc., in addition to it's numerous other benefits. I'd read about it online at first, and then bought Bruce Fife's book 'The Coconut Oil Miracle' which really describes in detail how it benefits us, including it's use in treating neuro-degenerataive diseases like alzheimer's. I think it's an excellent addition to our diets for many reasons. In fact, I dislike limiting myself to 2 tsp/day but do my best to do this in order to stay in sync with IP protocol. The main reason I don't post in the 100% thread more often is that I occasionally drift away from this aspect of the protocol and allow more coconut oil into my daily diet. Not always - but it does happen sometimes. I've also been battling candida throughout this dieting process and the caprylic and lauric acids in coconut oil are great natural antifungals.

Last edited by evepet; 08-20-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #73  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:

WTG on reaching goal!!!!

I have noticed your posts and see that we have similar jobs, I train teachers too, having been one myself for many years. But i work in a school system , not in a college. at my age there is no way i could keep up with the physical demands of being a classroom teacher but really enjoy working with other teachers.
I actually go to conferences once in a while to Montana as both Alberta and Montana are part of the Rocky mountains branch of the International Reading Association.
But if I ever decide to drive down again someone better turn off the wind! I could hardly keep my little Nissan Versa on the road.

I will be looking forward to working through mainenance with everyone in this group as more and more people get to this point.

I just got back from vacation and need to get back to phase 1 for a bit. So far going well.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #74  

Well today I went to my Dr. all blood work was good low iron and have to watch kidney function. Came home with tje Ideal Protein Diet and so excited. Want to loose 65 lbs. Tje Dr nurse started it and wow the inches she has already taken off I was shocked. Start first thing in the morning.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #75  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Good day. Hope things are going well for everyone today... diet-wise, and life in general.

I've also been taking a supplement called Hubner original silicea balsam, which was recommended by the natural health practionner at the health food/supplement store to condition and strength my hair, nails, and skin and prevent hair loss. Apparently it contains biotin.
Quick, before I have to disconnect this dialup for dinner, I want to make sure that Chloe has the credit for the skin firming treatments. She's so good at that research stuff. I'm just the recipe "queen." BTW, trying a new chicken recipe in a few seconds. Very interesting ingredients.

Love this thread.

Molly
Closed Thread