How did you choose your goal weight?

You're on Page 6 of 7
Go to
  • I chose my weight based on:
    1) My really small frame. (I may not weigh a lot but a lot of my weight is meat.)
    2) My pre-desk jockey weight in 2007.
    3) My closet full of wonderful suits, skirts and jackets that I would once again like to fit into.

I added 5lbs to my high school weight for every decade I have aged.
  • I Have 2 Reasons why I chose my goal(s)

1) I have never been the skinny girl, and I've never wanted to be. When I started this journey, I said I wanted to lose half my weight. I started at 326, half my weight will be 163.

2) I just want to be able to go into a "regular" clothing store and pick something off the rack, so I said I would be happy in a size 12. Well I tried on my first pair of 12s YESTERDAY, and they fit!!!!!! (not quite like I want though). So now my new goal is a size 10!!!!!
  • When I started, I chose a weight that I thought I would be thrilled to be at which is 4 pounds under the top weight for a normal BMI. Now that I am getting closer to goal, I think I'm going to change my goal to be about 10 pounds lower as I feel I still have too much weight across my middle. For me it's a wait and see kind of thing.
  • I just picked a random number that seemed achievable. When I graduated high school I weighed 105. I know that this isn't realistic at this point in my life, so I looked at BMI charts. I am 5'3, so 130 was toward the middle of what I "should" weigh. I was also 140 in between my 2 kids, so I see no reason I can't make it to 130!
  • Quote: Did you lose til you were comfortable? Choose based on the BMI chart? Pick a weight at which you were formerly comfortable? Something else?

Just curious how you're all doing it I've never been thin in my life, so I feel like my goal is completely unknown territory.
    Although it's been a long time, I liked how I felt at 145 (I think )so that's what I picked. When I get close, I may change my mind, but for now that's the number I'm going with.
    I love hearing how everyone else picked their goals ~ so fun!
  • My highest weight over a decade ago was 326# and then I got down to 232# then went back up to 330#.

I was 226# when I graduated high school. I was 182# in middle school after my very first diet.

Yes, I've been overweight my whole life!

I chose 199# as my goal because for the last 20+ years, seeing anything under the 200's has only been fantasy. I'm going to do it now!

If, when I hit 199# I FEEL I can go farther and still be healthy, I will. But that is a huge goal for me.
  • Quote: Here's a C&P in blue of my reply from a similar post last week. infoplease also had a series of great replies as well (also C&Pd in green):
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...phase-2-a.html

So - I am an Electrical Engineer - I love math - and I did put some thought into finding a good number of my goal weight. My coach does a body composition reading every week with my weight and measurements. So I used my initial lean body mass and a 20% body fat percentage to set my goal weight. Now, this won't be my final percentage - as you naturally lose some lean mass as you drop weight - but I figured why not. BTW - I started at 46% and am on track to end at ~25%. I do hope to transform that percentage a little more into maintenance as I incorporate more high intensity exercise into my routine.

Body Fat Percentage Categories: Women (% fat)
    Essential Fat 10-12%
    Athletes 14-20%
    Fitness 21-24%
    Acceptable 25-31%
    Obese 32%+

Example:
    I was a 214 lb woman with 46% body fat, and my goal weight was set to have a 20% body fat at my initial lean weight. So to find my initial lean weight:
    Initial Fat lb = Initial Total lb * Current BF% : 214 lb x 0.46 body fat % = 98 lb body fat
    Initial Lean lb = Initial Total lb - Initial Fat lb : 214 lb - 98 lb fat = 116 lb lean body mass (muscles, bones, organs, blood, water, etc.)

A bit of algebra to find our new goal weight 'total':
    Formula 1: fat = total * BF%
    Formula 2: lean = total - fat
    Solving for 'total' based on initial lean & desired BF%:
    lean = total - (total*BF%)....lean = total*(1-BF%)....
    Total = (Initial Lean lb) / (1 - Desired BF%)

Goal Weight based on Initial Lean lb = 116 lb and Desired BF% = 20%
    Goal Weight = 116lb / (1 - 0.2) = 145 lb

A typical dieter on IP loses 1lb of LM for every 3lbs of FM (every 4 lbs you lose, includes 1lb of LM loss). So, if you lose typically, if we were to check at 80 lbs lost (20 lbs LM loss and 60lbs FM loss) and a scale weight of 195, you would likely have 125.75 lbs of lean mass at this point. Then, your 20% body fat goal equates to 157 lbs on the scale. Your currently listed goal of 175 at that point would equate to 28% body fat, assuming your lean mass follows a typical trajectory.

Of course, we don't lose in that perfect graph.

I think it is very hard to figure out when is the right time to stop, when everything out there is a range (ideal weight range, ideal body fat range).

I want to apply your theory looking back.
    My original body fat was 44.5%, with LM of 107.89.
    So my calculated 23% (normal body fat range for women 40-59 is 23 to 33.9%) target weight would be 140.12.
    Closest actual is 139.8 lbs with 29.15% body fat.
    So this way of calculating the target puts things into a healthy range, even if a bit off for the final outcome.
    Really cool!

I did start to phase off at 135.6 (five pound below a 140 goal), but changed my mind. I thought my "panic weight" should be lower than 145 lbs, so I kept going. Plus, I thought my legs still didn't look thin enough. And considering that maintenance will mean remaining vigilant, I figured I might as well go lower.

I think goal setting is really hard because I don't "just know" and it is really hard not to think in terms of scale weight and equally hard not to think that lower body fat percent is better (no matter what the internet says). Plus, there is something seductive about those sizes below 6 and those numbers in the 1 teens (even the high 1 teens are fine), places that have always meant successful weight loss in the past, I guess.
    OK, the first couple of times I saw this my eyes glazed over, but this time I actually *read it* and did the math and the numbers are interesting indeed.

For me to have 20 percent body weight, per your formula, my goal weight would be 158 lbs (rounded). The people's choice weight from the link in the other post has me at 144lbs. I had initially chosen 120lbs because that seemed a good ways into what BMI charts say I should weigh to be in healthy BMI range.

I'm just on the cusp of the 100s right now but it will be interesting to see how my body changes as I get closer to some of these numbers.
  • Annnnd I looked at this again cause the numbers seemed off to me and yes, I was using BMI instead of body fat, which threw everything off.

Now using the right number, per your formula, for me to have 20 percent body fat, I should aim for 127lbs (rounded).
  • I looked at the BMI chart at my doctor's office and chose 120 pounds-something I have never weighed as an adult. It's in the range for my height. Then, I started to wonder if I set a too-low, unrealistic goal? I moved it to 128 (giving me a goal of losing 80 pounds). I'll see how I feel when I get closer to goal. I want to be able to maintain the weight and not go through this yo-yo dieting crap anymore. So, for now, it is set at 128 (a healthy weight for my height) and I will probably adjust it a few more times before I finish my journey on IP. However, I plan on also looking at Liz's formula now and seeing if there is a major difference between what I calculate and what I guesstimated (was that a word)?
  • I'm seriously just guessing my goal-weight. I'm not sure where I want to end up.

My original BMI was 49 and I'm currently down to 38.7 (whoo-hoo...went from Class 3 Obesity down to Class 2). Ideally, my BMI should be between 18.5 and 24.9, which at 5'2, means I should weigh 103-135.

I've been obese for 24 out of my almost 29 years. I seriously think I would look sickly in that range, not to mention with all the saggy, hanging skin I'm going to deal with anyway (I'm already seeing skin getting caved in & crinkly-looking...) Also, I have a large frame: my fingers have NEVER met if I try to make my fingers touch around my wrist and thank you Maw-Maw Georgia, I inherited her broad torso too. That's why I've decided on a tentative 150. At that point, I'll still technically technically "overweight" but if I lose 118 lbs., and someone wants to point that out, then I'll tell them very quick like where they can go & what they can kiss.
  • Quote: I'm seriously just guessing my goal-weight. I'm not sure where I want to end up.

My original BMI was 49 and I'm currently down to 38.7 (whoo-hoo...went from Class 3 Obesity down to Class 2). Ideally, my BMI should be between 18.5 and 24.9, which at 5'2, means I should weigh 103-135.

I've been obese for 24 out of my almost 29 years. I seriously think I would look sickly in that range, not to mention with all the saggy, hanging skin I'm going to deal with anyway (I'm already seeing skin getting caved in & crinkly-looking...) Also, I have a large frame: my fingers have NEVER met if I try to make my fingers touch around my wrist and thank you Maw-Maw Georgia, I inherited her broad torso too. That's why I've decided on a tentative 150. At that point, I'll still technically technically "overweight" but if I lose 118 lbs., and someone wants to point that out, then I'll tell them very quick like where they can go & what they can kiss.
    LOL! I know that's right.
  • I chose based on what I thought I could get to before going on vacation. I have not set a final goal for when I get back. I used to think if I could just get to 175 I would feel so much better. I am getting close and do feel better but I am not small. I was never small though so don't expect to ever be. I was 150 once after high school and I was looking good but partying lots and not healthy. I think that would probably be too small for me now. I might aim for 165 and see how I feel.
  • When I was in high school every season was taken up with athletics. Fall - Football, Winter - Ski Team, Spring - Rugby. During those years I was steady between 185-192lbs. As soon as I left for university I basically stopped all athletics and found the unlimited meal plan at the cafeteria. End of freshman year 240lbs. I pretty much have stayed from 240 to a top weight of 291. I happened to pick up a brochure at my son's doctor's office because I was bored and the doc was 45 minutes late seeing us! Thank God for fate...

I picked 220 because for me I felt it was realistic and I knew with my build I would look good and feel good at that weight. With the success I've had with IP I now am re-assessing and thinking I may do 210 then start working out hard and level off at 220.

I have tried and failed every other diet out there but IP somehow is different. It has been simply a life-changer and a life-saver for me!!
  • I picked a target of 150 because it would get me into the "normal" range of BMI and knew I would tweak it as I got closer -with over 100 pounds to loose I didnt know how i'd feel / look at that weight.

I'm still in a size 14 and really would like to be in a size 10. I'm not sure what weight that's going to be. My top half looks good (love the collar bones!), but I could still loose on my lower half and stomach some.

I need to do more checking into it - I want my body fat % and BMI to be "normal.

I think I might go down another 10 pounds or so to my goal - so around 140. We'll see.
  • I choose 175, because that would be nearly a 50 pound weight loss.

The BMI charts say I should be closer to 150 ideally. Once I make it to 175 I'll reevaluate the goal.

Surprisingly I do worry about being too thin and also losing enough to allow myself a little wiggle room for weight fluctuations. At 150 I could live with regaining 10 pounds, at 175 I'd be disappointed & panicked by regaining 10 pounds again....hmmm guess I better shoot for 150.