Old 01-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #61  

Height: magmeepEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
I just used that page, kinda cool. Thanks. I was 168 in August of 1990 when I graduated from boot camp. The chart states 195 as a the "peoples choice" for me. Dang! I might reassess when I get closer. For me right now getting below 300 is my next short term goal. I am giving myself five weeks to get there. I feel focused today, a little hungry right now, which is a good thing. It is lunch time!
Oh, yes, you can do it. You're doing so well on this,
and I have no doubt you'll get to whatever goal you set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
I hear you on the fear part Joby. I haven't been this weight since middle school - over 25 years ago! I hit 180 at 14 years old, and I remember hitting 100lb ~8-9 years old - oddly I was able to 'maintain' 185-195lb for most of my adult life, had a few up years at ~220-240 (grad school) and about few down years at ~170 (before my wedding). I've always been overweight/obese since I was a kid, so this is definitely a completely new outlook. I told my coach my goal weight was 180lb to start with (and that sounded like a pipe dream) - she's the one who pushed for 150 as my initial goal, and then I lowered it to 145lb. Considered lowering it even more but my clothes were just the right size (XSmall/size 2), I still remember my size 12 goal jeans that looked sooooo tiny!
I was starting IP, just as you were finishing up Phase 1, if I remember correctly, and you have just been such an inspiration. I thought when I started, that I wanted to have success like you, and I still do!

Thanks so much for everything you've given to this board, Liz! You rock!
Starshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 182/150/144

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
I just used that page, kinda cool. Thanks. I was 168 in August of 1990 when I graduated from boot camp. The chart states 195 as a the "peoples choice" for me. Dang! I might reassess when I get closer. For me right now getting below 300 is my next short term goal. I am giving myself five weeks to get there. I feel focused today, a little hungry right now, which is a good thing. It is lunch time!

I have to say, I don't understand that "People's choice" weight at all. The higher current weight I entered, the higher the "People's choice" weight was. If I entered the weight I started this diet at (182 lbs), it says my people's choice weight is 143. But if I enter my current weight 3 months later (151 lbs), it says my people's choice weight is 130. Just to test it, I put in a current weight of 282, and it said my people's choice weight would be 183! At my height and age, 183 for a female is definitely obese. In contrast, the other weights (medical and metro) come out the same regardless of my "current" weight. So I 'm not putting much stock into the "people's choice" weight.
Nolawhodatchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8"

I read about the people's choice weight. Essentially it says that heavier people feel their ideal weight is heavier. That's why you are getting different numbers depending on your starting weight. I recommend going with the medical numbers further down.
tobehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #64  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Last serious diet I was on (10 years ago) I stopped dieting when I got to 158lbs. So I wanted at least to get down to that again. I felt great then, and looked good too.

In my mind I thought I'd go a little beyond that and aim for 150lbs. In discussing this with my Dr. when I was around 180lbs (having already lost about 30 lbs) she suggested she'd be happy with me if I got down to 155-157lbs.

My weight loss was really slow and stalling off and on, and I was feeling very frustrated, so I phased off last month when I reached 156 (within my Dr.'s acceptable range). Somehow I lost another lb and got to 155.

I've now decided that I want to aim a bit lower, so I'm soon returning to P1 to focus on getting down to around 145 lbs. I'm mainly doing this in order to get rid of some remaining belly area fat which is currently keeping me inbetween pant sizes.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Here's a website I found to help

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm
Lisa,
Thanks for this, it puts me where I just revised my goal earlier today and is good reinforcement.

Liz,
You are amazing!! I'm sure your formula works well, it's impressive. I took the easy way out but really appreciate your work.
Chloe

Last edited by Chloe222; 01-02-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 PM   #66  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
I hear you on the fear part Joby. I haven't been this weight since middle school - over 25 years ago! I hit 180 at 14 years old, and I remember hitting 100lb ~8-9 years old - oddly I was able to 'maintain' 185-195lb for most of my adult life, had a few up years at ~220-240 (grad school) and about few down years at ~170 (before my wedding). I've always been overweight/obese since I was a kid, so this is definitely a completely new outlook. I told my coach my goal weight was 180lb to start with (and that sounded like a pipe dream) - she's the one who pushed for 150 as my initial goal, and then I lowered it to 145lb. Considered lowering it even more but my clothes were just the right size (XSmall/size 2), I still remember my size 12 goal jeans that looked sooooo tiny!
It is amazing how well you've don Liz! Thanks for the support. I need it. I did great today. I'm OT sure where I will end up but I know I do so much better setting goals. And doing it publicly here on 3fc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyainva View Post
Liz it is inspiring to read how you reset your goal from 180 to 145.

You are doing great
Isn't she beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starshine View Post
Oh, yes, you can do it. You're doing so well on this,
and I have no doubt you'll get to whatever goal you set.
Thank you!
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #67  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Truth be told, what I really should lose down to 150/140 seemed daunting so I gave it a cool 100 (108) but maybe I will change it as I get more off.
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 267/159/150

Height: 5"3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobehealthy View Post
I read about the people's choice weight. Essentially it says that heavier people feel their ideal weight is heavier. That's why you are getting different numbers depending on your starting weight. I recommend going with the medical numbers further down.
I actually just looked at the link Lisa posted and I know my Dr wouldn't even think I should get down to 107. (lowest of the recommended wgt for me) I was thinking if I feel brave to try for 140.

People's ideal has me at 165. 5lbs over my initial goal.
NinjaNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 257/200/190(?)

Height: 5'10"

Quote:

A typical dieter on IP loses 1lb of LM for every 3lbs of FM (every 4 lbs you lose, includes 1lb of LM loss).
This is good to know. I had some concerns about my lean mass loss, but it sounds like I am pretty much right on track. I have lost 49lbs, and according to the bio-electrical impedance scale at the clinic, 12 of that has been lean mass.

Could I ask where this information came from? I am pretty much certain that I have not been losing muscle mass, and that the lean mass losses are from other sources - water, connective tissue etc...

I guess I will have a bit more fat on me than I thought I would when I get to my target weight, but it will still feel pretty darn good to get there!
Shawsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #70  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNurse View Post
I actually just looked at the link Lisa posted and I know my Dr wouldn't even think I should get down to 107. (lowest of the recommended wgt for me) I was thinking if I feel brave to try for 140.

People's ideal has me at 165. 5lbs over my initial goal.
I don't think I ever suggested going for the lowest recommended weight. I really hope nobody looks at those numbers and shoots for the lowest.
I'll be happy in the NORMAL BMI range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawsy View Post
This is good to know. I had some concerns about my lean mass loss, but it sounds like I am pretty much right on track. I have lost 49lbs, and according to the bio-electrical impedance scale at the clinic, 12 of that has been lean mass.

Could I ask where this information came from? I am pretty much certain that I have not been losing muscle mass, and that the lean mass losses are from other sources - water, connective tissue etc...

I guess I will have a bit more fat on me than I thought I would when I get to my target weight, but it will still feel pretty darn good to get there!
Lean mass isn't just muscle
It is connective tissue, skin, blood vessels, fluids, bone, organs, everything that isn't fat.
Some of the LM we lose is water, connective tissue, blood vessels, and skin. As we reduce in size, we just don't need it all anymore! IP does a great job of preserving the muscle. We get more "jiggly" than we were b/c the fat isn't so heavy with water anymore from the carb consumption (we have reduced our inflammation).
We're supposed to still have some fat!
Strength training is the best for helping to firm up. Ugh
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #71  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Strength training is the best for helping to firm up. Ugh
Why the ugh on strength training? I did a lot of strength training a few years ago, and absolutely loved it. I found I got bored on machines and bicep curls seemed to make not much difference, so I did a lot of lunges, squats (and those blasted split-squats), deadlifts, and bench press. It melted the fat off me and only took about 20 minutes to get a heckuva workout (from a cardio perspective as well as a strength perspective). I am actually looking forward to getting back to that routine!
Ojenchilada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #72  
IP start date 2/4/13

I chose my number based on my weight loss in the past and knowing where my potential is. In 2006 I was in great shape, a size 8 at 5'10" and between 180-190 pounds, with 18% body fat. And I don't base it on the numbers so much as I do about how I felt and looked. Some pics are below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 148125_473373147856_3030266_n.jpg (20.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 196382_17390327856_2525_n.jpg (29.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 264_29662562856_6832_n.jpg (24.0 KB, 20 views)
SFNinerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #73  
Started IP 1/10/13

S/C/G: 225/175.5(home) 176.2(IP)/120

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Here's a website I found to help http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm
Interesting. Per this link I way overestimated what my goal weight should be. "The people" would have me at 144lbs and even the BMI range is about 8 pounds more than what I have chosen.

But either way I am a good ways from 144 say nothing of anything beyond it so I'll just focus on getting to my mini-goal of 199lbs right now. LOL
Desafinado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #74  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desafinado View Post
Interesting. Per this link I way overestimated what my goal weight should be. "The people" would have me at 144lbs and even the BMI range is about 8 pounds more than what I have chosen.

But either way I am a good ways from 144 say nothing of anything beyond it so I'll just focus on getting to my mini-goal of 199lbs right now. LOL
People's choice is too low for me. I'd struggle forever to stay there.
I need maintenance to not be P1 for life!
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 257/200/190(?)

Quote:
Lean mass isn't just muscle
It is connective tissue, skin, blood vessels, fluids, bone, organs, everything that isn't fat.
I agree with that, I was hoping for some authoritative validation of the ratio of 1lb of lean mass loss per 4lbs of overall loss. It is definitely how I am tracking, but I would like to put my mind at ease that this is truly normal and expected.

My training during IP has consisted of Yoga class once a week, light cardio about half as often and some occasional light weight training just to maintain muscle tone.
Shawsy is offline   Reply With Quote