3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Ketostix (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/263907-ketostix.html)

Midlife Meggie 08-12-2010 10:03 AM

Ketostix

How many people use ketostix to check whether they are in ketosis? And how often? I know they're addictive ;) but I'm wondering if they're truly useful at times as a measurement of whether we're following protocol properly. Because I'm pretty sure I am but I wonder sometimes if I'm missing something and the ketostix would indicate that.

shrinkingsusie 08-12-2010 11:02 AM

I bought some the day I went for dinner and there were shredded carrots on my salad... That was about a month ago, there were 50 in the jar and I probably have about 40-45 left... I don't want it to be an obsession so I try not to check unless I feel fat (TOM)! lol

Novak 08-12-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midlife Meggie (Post 3433384)
How many people use ketostix to check whether they are in ketosis? And how often? I know they're addictive ;) but I'm wondering if they're truly useful at times as a measurement of whether we're following protocol properly. Because I'm pretty sure I am but I wonder sometimes if I'm missing something and the ketostix would indicate that.

I used them maybe twice a week, except when traveling... then I used daily. I found them useful, but they do not always work well for everyone. I was pretty much always in the moderate, my sister barely registered... yet we were both clearly in ketosis. I believe Wannabe didn't register at all.

Go figure. :shrug:

CUSU 08-12-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midlife Meggie (Post 3433384)
How many people use ketostix to check whether they are in ketosis? And how often? .

I am just beginning week 20 on IP and I have never used the ketostix and they have never been mentioned. Seems to work for me.

amaliayosa 08-26-2011 11:46 AM

Ketostix

Anyone else use them? And are we suposed to be n ketosis during phase 1? My test strip showed only trace amounts of ketones in my urine, maybe thats why im at a stall.

showgirlaz 08-26-2011 11:50 AM

If you are doing the program as written every day with out add on tweaks or cheats, yes, you will be in ketosis. You won't need the strips because your body will be telling you.

If you are well hydrated you will only show trace amounts of ketones to small ketones. That is fine and that is where you burn fat the best.

If you are someone who loses ketones on their breath or sweat or has them circulating for longer in their blood, then the urine test will not be as accurate.

You don't really need to use the sticks. It is just very important to follow the diet protocol closely.

amaliayosa 08-26-2011 12:09 PM

I got off track for a few days but have been 100% back op since yesterday. Thanks.

thin4me 10-06-2011 09:34 PM

Ketostix Strips

Here I am again - I'm just not a happy camper
My coach gave me some Ketostix Strips to confirm if I'm actually in Ketosis as my losses are quit slow.

Has anybody had any experience with these?
I just tried it before I ate dinner (wasn't sure if there was a specific time)

Basically the read out is
Negative
5 (trace)
15 (small)
40 (moderate)
80 (large)

Mine showed 5 - trace
Now I'm really wondering what the heck I am doing wrong.....
Emailed my coach but haven't heard back from her yet
Would love to know if others have tried and what their readout was

JellyMae87 10-06-2011 09:36 PM

I have seen some people LIVE by these things, and other like myself dont worry about this... if You are following protocol then you have nothing to worry about... This is just my 5 cents!!

patns 10-06-2011 09:46 PM

I also saw where someone had said people on IP don't get into the darker colours on these because of the amount of water they drink.

thin4me 10-06-2011 09:57 PM

I hope both of you guys are right - I hate to think I've been eating like this and spending all the money for no reason.

NavyMommy 10-06-2011 10:01 PM

IIWY I would test first thing in the morning. I would think that's when it would be the most concentrated and give you the most accurate result. Personally though I figure as long as I follow protocol I'm in Ketosis (and I don't need something else to obsess over!) so I haven't gotten any yet.

Bellamack 10-06-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thin4me (Post 4061916)
I hope both of you guys are right - I hate to think I've been eating like this and spending all the money for no reason.

They are both right!

The ketostix show concentration, not a level of ketosis, so if you are drinking all the water you are supposed to, you should show up in the trace. See you are doing fine!

wuv2bloved 10-06-2011 11:42 PM

I have NEVER used these or tested myself I just follow what I am suppose to do!

2RIDEROLLERCOAST 10-07-2011 12:13 AM

WUV - never say never... I thought the same thing a waste of time... but

If you are in my predictament, and the coaches have looked at my food diary and there is nothing in there that would cause all this ups and downs. They are thinking the weeks that I am gaining I am kicking myself out of ketosis.. How that is, is what we have to figure out. May have a clue from someone but we will see. I guess what I am saying this is a tool for the coaches to help us if we are really having issues. I can't really think my body is done losing weight but am beginning to wonder what is up.

So the vote on ketosis stiks I would only use if like me you have stopped losing or are so up and down the coaches can't figure it out and this is just one more tool for them too.