Old 07-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question How to explain to my mother the dynamic of exercise on IP

OOOOOkay...so i have a frustrating situation...call it a confusion with the parents. I explained to them the other day, that during this diet, its not reccomended that you exercise aside from a slow walk or other light activity..This is how the conversation went yesterday:

Me: Its not recommended we exercise at a high intensity on this diet due to the low calorie intake.

Mom: Well surely because you have so much fat stores, doing high intensity exercise, your body will draw from the fat stores..You wont burn your own muscle.

Me: Thats what i thought, but i was told due to the low calories that we could end up burning are muscle if we exercise and dont take another packet.

Mom: Thats rediculous..How can that be? You shouldnt need an extra packet, your not going to burn your muscle...

So thats how the conversation went...My question is: How do i explain to my parents why its not recommended AND why is my mother's thoughts of burning my own body fat-false? She is convinced that i wont burn my own muscle if i do a run/walk program in which my body has a heart rate up to 170.

Also, what would i officially need to do if i wanted to do a run/walk program?? Would i just need to add an extra packet? My plan would be to run for 1 minute at 5.0 mph and then walk for 5 minutes at 3.0mph ...and to rotate doing this for 30 minutes in total...If im correct.. i only burn about 120 calories...
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 193/157/110

Height: 5'0

I would tell her your doing what your coach told you and you need support. Not question what your coach is telling you to do. This has worked for so many people. I don't understand why people want to be ignorant about it. By all means I mean no disrespect to your parents. But what should it matter your doing the diet not them.

Based on your siggy you are loosing weight just keep doing what your doing! Your doing a great job!

Last edited by des692781; 07-26-2012 at 04:44 PM.
des692781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #3  
Started IP 2/23/2012

S/C/G: 192.2/142.4/140

Height: 5'5"

My experience - Any time I did anything other than light walking I was sick, dizzy and felt awful for days. And I had 0 losses those weeks.

You don't have to explain anything to anyone. It just is the way it is!!! You are doing this for yourself, not anyone else, so don't worry about them. They wouldn't tell us not to do it if it was better for us.
mooselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/148/133

Height: 5'3"

I would tell her you ARE exercising. That your coach (and this plan) call for a gradual uptake in cardio. You don't even need to go into when you can do it, just that eventually you will get there. Tell her that for now, with the amount of calories and carbohydrates you are taking in, that light exercise is what is recommended. If you get your heart rate up too high, you run the risk of being sick. Your body is burning fat through the eating plan; additional exercise won't speed it up and based on lots of others experience, it might even back fire. You could go into 'starvation' mode and instead of shedding pounds, your body will think it needs to store it for the next bout of cardio.

Do what you know is right. Once she sees the results, she will become a believer too!!
reneepw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

I know you don't have a coach...SO....don't let someone pressure you into something that they think you should be doing Port. It sounds like you're giving her concerns some thoughts...:/

Just trust the program, do a walk and 'wait' until you hit goal. I didn't run until I hit goal, don't play with something that's obviously working for you.

If you run/walk high intensity you could protentially put your body into starvation mode where it ends up hanging on to everything that you feed it. OR it startes eating your muscles for energy.

Some people do high intensity, but they did before they started IP and they adjusted (sometimes more then a packet)...again, don't play with something that's working.

As hard as it is, ignore her (it's hard to ignore a mom)...tell her it's working this way and you know people who have lost the amount you'd like to lose that only WALKED!

Be patient grasshoppah, let your body release the weight when it's good an ready too...don't pressure yourself to go faster. Once you release that pressure it's a heck of a lot easier!

Last edited by Ishbel; 07-26-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I wouldn't bother trying to explain it. It doesn't affect her one way or another. If she brings it up again you can say "Oh, everything is fine. How's Aunt Judy? Can you pass the salad?"
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote