3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   ActiFry - who has IP friendly recipes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/263045-actifry-who-has-ip-friendly-recipes.html)

WingnutandMe 07-17-2012 08:59 PM

ActiFry - who has IP friendly recipes

I just received my new ActiFry. I purchased it because some of you on this forum raved about yours. Yes, it comes with a small recipe book, but I want to know what IP friendly recipes you've come up with.

Thanks, Molly

Porthardygurl 07-17-2012 09:01 PM

Does it really work like a deep fryer..... like it deep fries your chicken and stuff..

WingnutandMe 07-17-2012 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porthardygurl (Post 4408538)
Does it really work like a deep fryer..... like it deep fries your chicken and stuff..

Haven't tried it, but that's what they claim. On of the guys on the forum talked about making hot wings.

We'll see what responses come to this thread.
Molly

mompattie 07-17-2012 09:08 PM

I'm also intrigued!!! They cost $250 here in Canada, so I'm just still debating. Longhorn loves his and makes chicken strips tossed in 0/0/0 Buffalo Sauce. He doesn't even add the oil to the fryer, he says it works fine without! Interested to see if other respond....I'd LOVE to hear if turnip/rutabaga fries work in it!

usmcvet 07-17-2012 09:25 PM

You guys are making me hungry for hot wings.

LindseyTradeChic 07-17-2012 09:36 PM

Rutabaga fries are awesome!! Just season in the oil before hand and cook for at least 40 mins... the timing is the key to the right amount of fry!

IPdivajen 07-17-2012 09:58 PM

We got one the other day for $157 at an outlet in Cambridge - huge score! So far we've just used it to cook diced turnip and it was way overcooked. Now we know for next time!

But yes, I'll be watching this thread for sure!

mompattie 07-17-2012 11:12 PM

Huge score!!! Awesome deal!!! They have them at Canuk tire for 250. Boo. Did the turnips overlook mush or crisp??

sprite613 07-18-2012 09:49 AM

Ok I admit, just like usmc I was hooked when someone mentioned hot wings and chicken strips. :o So I looked this up online since I'd never heard of it before. Seems like a pretty cool thing to have, not just for IP, but for later on just to make foods healthier. I mean who doesn't miss hot crispy fries?! If I can make them healthier, for the few occassions that I have them, it'd be a big plus.

So if any of you come up with some good recipes, let us know. I found it on Amazon.com for $199 and I'm seriously thinking about getting one.

Have a great day you guys!

athebeach 07-18-2012 11:15 AM

I scored a used one on EBay for $77. It did not have instruction or recipe book, but those are on line. So far I have made fajitas with greenpeppers and onions and jicama fries. Both very good.

athebeach 07-18-2012 11:19 AM

I think I will use it often. What a great way to cook meats and veggies. It is perfect for stir fry meals. I am sure glad you posted this, Molly, because I was needing the same thing.

MustangMolly 07-18-2012 11:23 AM

I just found one on Ebay in White Rock, BC, Canada for those of you not in the States. $125 plus shipping.

IPdivajen 07-18-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mompattie (Post 4408637)
Huge score!!! Awesome deal!!! They have them at Canuk tire for 250. Boo. Did the turnips overlook mush or crisp??

They kind of dehydrated into little chewy clumps. I had put in two cups of diced frozen turnip. I would have turned it off much sooner but the instructions say to try to run it for at least 30 minutes on its first go, so that's how long I left it. I might try it again tonight and do 15 minutes. :)

LindseyTradeChic 07-18-2012 04:59 PM

Has anyone tried chicken wings? I might try with a chicken breast tonight and see what happens.

usmcvet 07-18-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindseyTradeChic (Post 4409501)
Has anyone tried chicken wings? I might try with a chicken breast tonight and see what happens.

I out a shout out for longhorn,meh suggested the chicken finger recipes.

Chloe222 07-18-2012 08:59 PM

I'd be interested in this if it made great french fries and fried chicken...anyone try to make those yet?

Thanks!

mompattie 07-18-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmcvet (Post 4409674)
I out a shout out for longhorn,meh suggested the chicken finger recipes.

I think Longhorn is still on holidays! Lucky him

mompattie 07-18-2012 09:07 PM

This is from a previous post from Longhorn when I quizzed him on how to make buffalo chicken in his Actifry

Actuary is a...Uhmmm...I dont know wtf it is but basically it turns out food similar to deep fried, without frying or using oil...They say a teaspoon of oil, but we never use any. They sell them everywhere, WallyWorld, Can Tire, Zellers, Bay, etc...Check around though the pricing is all over the place. Here is a link for it: http://www.tefal.com/All+Products/Co...ry/Actifry.htm

Now...PC Buffalo Wing Hot Sauce...is of course 0/0/0 and Franks Red Hot Buffallo sauce is 5 cal and 1g carbs if I remember, but the PC stuff is good, and there is a mild version too.

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOn...roductId=17863

Now...the chicken...I love wings but of course we are not supposed to have skin, so...Two diffferent way...

1) Chicken breast-cut into strips roughly the size of a chicken wing, toss into the Actifry for approx 25 mins, add sauce and back on for 5 mins..

2) I buy actual chicken wings (not split) and then split them myself, and with a fillet knife, one slice up each side and the skin peels right off, then I use actual chicken wings...they are definitely a bit fattier, but taste really good. Same process for cooking, but I do them a bit longer, approx 30 mins and then 5 more with the sauce.

If you were a wing lover, these are a fantastic substitute. The actifry apparently does all kinds of things like fries and stuff, but we actually bought it for meatballs, wings and perogies, then when I started IP it went into the pantry. I have just started experimenting with it, so more to follow.

Thanks a ton longhorn!!!! This is going to have to be tried!!!!! And no oil then in the unit? Ok. Good to know!! On the hunt for one. Thanks!!!!

athebeach 07-19-2012 12:34 AM

I did fajitas, green peppers and onions in it again tonight. No oil added and they came out great.

WingnutandMe 07-19-2012 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloe222 (Post 4409708)
I'd be interested in this if it made great french fries and fried chicken...anyone try to make those yet?

Thanks!

Hey Chloe,

Plan to try french fries for DH tonight. I will report back.

Molly

Chloe222 07-19-2012 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingnutandMe (Post 4409966)
Hey Chloe,

Plan to try french fries for DH tonight. I will report back.

Molly

Great! Will be watching the board to see how it goes! I wonder if you can do the "double fried" version. They are extra crispy on the outside, sort of creamy on the inside, a tad spicy too...potato wedges often done like this.

mammasita 07-19-2012 08:22 AM

I'm not doing IP, but maaan Ive been eyeballing the actifry for months now!!!

vicknops 07-19-2012 09:54 AM

With all the buzz about the actifry, I have been googling for a while. There is a website with recipes-of course, not all IP friendly, but can be modified. I had it bookmarked for ideas, and of course for time reference on how long to cook things. www.actifry.net Hope that helps:)

WingnutandMe 07-19-2012 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloe222 (Post 4409977)
Great! Will be watching the board to see how it goes! I wonder if you can do the "double fried" version. They are extra crispy on the outside, sort of creamy on the inside, a tad spicy too...potato wedges often done like this.

To start out the first time, I'm going 100% by the recipe. I'll experiment later when I get the hang of things. So far I have not seen a recipe like wht you've described.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicknops (Post 4410122)
With all the buzz about the actifry, I have been googling for a while. There is a website with recipes-of course, not all IP friendly, but can be modified. I had it bookmarked for ideas, and of course for time reference on how long to cook things. www.actifry.net Hope that helps:)

Thanks. I've been searching on the net and have compiled about 20 pages of a Word doc into what I've found. As you mentioned most are not IP-friendly, but I have a skinny husband that needs fed (or he just loses more weight, so sad). If I find something IP-friendly, I'll share.

Molly

P. S. There is an Actifry Facebook page that has some recipes and a lot of people talking about recipes and the Actifry.

WingnutandMe 07-19-2012 05:48 PM

Sorry to let anyone who was waiting for the french fry report down, but I went into town to buy potatoes (they recommend using nice starchy Russets, which we don't have) and got to the store parking lot and no wallet. No credit cards, no cash, no driver's license (eek). Most of you will say, so. Well, we live 20 miles from shopping. Sorry, not going back again today. Fortunately, the trip was not totally wasted as I had a scheduled doctor's appointment. I was just going in combine my shopping with it. The issues with living waaaay out in the woods (wouldn't trade it for anything).

Maybe tomorrow.

Molly

Chloe222 07-19-2012 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingnutandMe (Post 4410727)
Sorry to let anyone who was waiting for the french fry report down, but I went into town to buy potatoes (they recommend using nice starchy Russets, which we don't have) and got to the store parking lot and no wallet. No credit cards, no cash, no driver's license (eek). Most of you will say, so. Well, we live 20 miles from shopping. Sorry, not going back again today. Fortunately, the trip was not totally wasted as I had a scheduled doctor's appointment. I was just going in combine my shopping with it. The issues with living waaaay out in the woods (wouldn't trade it for anything).

Maybe tomorrow.

Molly

No problem. Where did you buy your actifry? I think I'll just go ahead and order one. Last night I read a review of actifry by David Lebovitz and he thought it did a great job on french fries and a pretty good job on other things.

WingnutandMe 07-19-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chloe222 (Post 4410742)
No problem. Where did you buy your actifry? I think I'll just go ahead and order one. Last night I read a review of actifry by David Lebovitz and he thought it did a great job on french fries and a pretty good job on other things.

I found one on Amazon for $179.60 with their free super saver shipping. Check out the ActiFry Recipes Facebook page. It's pretty interesting.
http://www.facebook.com/Actifry.Recipies

Molly

IPdivajen 07-19-2012 06:23 PM

Really play with the cooking times. After overdoing my turnip a week ago I tried again last night and they were undercooked. Blech. I had to eat them though as I was running out the door. Yargh.

WingnutandMe 07-19-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPdivajen (Post 4410762)
Really play with the cooking times. After overdoing my turnip a week ago I tried again last night and they were undercooked. Blech. I had to eat them though as I was running out the door. Yargh.

Good to know. Sorry it was at your expense. I was wondering about that timing. I have not seen any recipes for trying to make our "fake" fries. As I research, I will try to see if there a recipe that does something crispy with any veggies.

Thanks for keeping in touch with us on this.

Molly

Chloe222 07-20-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingnutandMe (Post 4410805)
Good to know. Sorry it was at your expense. I was wondering about that timing. I have not seen any recipes for trying to make our "fake" fries. As I research, I will try to see if there a recipe that does something crispy with any veggies.

Thanks for keeping in touch with us on this.

Molly

Molly,
Check out David Lebovitz review of actifry and his expereience in making good crisp fries. He's an american chef living in Paris.
www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/02/the-actifry

David Lebovitz: I followed the instructions, peeling then cutting the potatoes into bâtons, rinsing them, drying them thoroughly before putting them in the machine. Then the user adds one tablespoon of oil, closes the lid, and sets the timer for thirty minutes.
Every few minutes, I peered into the machine, and nothing much seemed to be happening. The potatoes were being stirred by the revolving arm, very, very slowly. But like the French, things might move slowly, but when they finally produce something, it’s exceptional. (Like the Concorde, although no one ever could explain to me why diagonally-cut beans are called ‘French cut’.) And as the machine turned, skeptical me was surprised as the sticks of potato soon turned a golden-brown color. And after stopping the machine to pluck one out, a sprinkle of salt was all that was needed, and I had to admit the French fry was very good, somewhat mottled, but crisp!

Chloe222 07-20-2012 04:33 PM

Just purchased my actifry from amazon along with a jumbo potato cutter ($19.75).
Progressive International Jumbo Potato Cutter

Should have it in a week or so.

Molly,
Let us know how it works for you. I read enough reviews by now I'm pretty confident this will be a good investment.

hockeymom22 07-20-2012 05:31 PM

I just ordered one from the Bay today on sale for $249.99 from $399 included the fry cutter, free shipping and it's the family size one

WingnutandMe 07-22-2012 07:01 PM

Offical Actifry cooking report

I made dinner tonight with the ActiFry. I started out with a recipe for Real Crispy Chips. Yeah, I know, us IPers can't have them, but my ultra skinny DH can. They said to cook for 30-45 minutes. I cooked them for around 40 (forgot to make a note of the time they started). DH said they were real good, but next time he would like to try them left in a while longer. They were browned on the edges and crispy. I was afraid they would be too crispy and possibly dried out if I left them in any longer. Guess will try longer next time.

Then for the protein I made Garlic Shrimp. mmmmmmmm good and IP friendly.

Garlic Shrimp
12 oz small prawns
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
4 spoon lemon juice
ground cumin
salt
black pepper
1spoon chopped garlic
1 spoon chopped coriander leaves
Directions
Peel the prawns and cut into small pieces. Put the pieces in the ActiFry. Add the salt, oil, black pepper, ground cumin and garlic. Cook for 10 minutes.
Add the lemon juice and coriander, then cook for 4 to 5 minutes.

It's a neat gadget.

Molly

Chloe222 07-22-2012 10:11 PM

Molly,
I'm glad it was a hit! Now we just have to think/find more things that are phase 1 compliant. And we will, now that we are looking for them.

I think using peanut oil with the french fries would be tasty, The French often do it that way. Hmmm, what about fried turkey? I love fried turkey legs!

I wonder if you could make consecutive batches of fries, keep them warm in the oven, so you could serve a half dozen people at once? What do you think? I think an oven at 225 degrees would do it, or maybe convection at 225...

WingnutandMe 07-24-2012 10:47 AM

In my boredom (see today's Daily thread) I'm searching for more recipes. So far, I've found this IP-friendly one.

Roasted Broccoli
1 Head of Fresh Broccoli (or 3 cups frozen florets)
1/2 Actifry Spoon of Olive Oil
1/2 Lemon Juiced
1 tsp. Morton's Nature's Seasoning (or to taste) just salt/pepper if you don't have this.
Wash broccoli and cut into florets
Add all ingredients to the Actifry
Cook for 18-20 minutes (Until the ends start to brown and the broccoli becomes slightly tender).

WingnutandMe 07-24-2012 11:33 AM

Here's a recipe for making the cauliflower rice in the Actifry. Non-Phase 1 veggies noted.

Faux Cauliflower Fried Rice
1 Large head of Cauliflower
1 actifry spoon of sesame oil
1 actifry spoon of peanut oil
2 actifry spoons of low sodium soy sauce
1 8 ounce can of sliced water chestnuts (not for Phase 1)
1 16 ounce can of Chinese mushrooms
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen peas (not for Phase 1)
Chopped Scallions optional to taste
Directions
Grate one head of cauliflower using the large side of the grater. I use the largest cauliflower I can find, otherwise use two small heads. Roughly chop water chestnuts into smaller bite sized pieces Pour grated cauliflower, water chestnuts, Chinese mushrooms, minced garlic, sesame oil, peanut oil, and soy sauce in the actifry. Set Timer for 30 minutes. About 15 minutes into cooking time, pour frozen green beans in the actifry. Check for doneness after 25 minutes. Depending on the size of the cauliflower you use, it is sometimes done before 30 minutes. Pour in large serving dish and sprinkle with chopped scallions.

WingnutandMe 07-24-2012 01:43 PM

Kale Chips in the ActiFry

YES. Kale Chips work in the ActiFry.

It does a great job and you don't have to heat the oven. I had to try this before posting as I couldn't believe I'd find Kale chips in a collection of ActiFry recipes. Plus, it will allow you to do a large amount easily, which works since rainbowsmiles posted today that they keep quite well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rainbowsmiles (Post 4414912)
let them air dry on a cooling wire rack for an hour after baking then put them into a lock n lock air tight container......and am happy to say that as of last night...the last of the ones i ate were will just as crispy as day 1 and that was day 5!!!

The recipe said to cook them 8 minutes. My small pieces (smaller than an inch square) are crispy. The larger ones could have used a minute or more. Uniformity in pieces is a key for the ActiFry, which I did not do (shame on me). So use the time I've just stated as a guide to the size of your pieces. And of course, watch them as anyone who has made kale chips knows they can easily overcook.

Molly

Longhorn Energy 07-24-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mompattie (Post 4409710)
I think Longhorn is still on holidays! Lucky him

Im baaaack!!

I read the whole thread, and for me of course cause Im a man, I dont use recipes lol

I have tried almost anything you can imagine in the actifry though, and it seems to come out great. The 'fake' chicken wings are for sure a hit though, in fact before IP I never ate chicken. I have also done steak strips, not to make them deep fried, just to cook them. I like the fact that can do stuff from literally rare to deep fried and anything in between. Just adjusting the time of course. I use a lot of sauces 0/0/0 and pour them right into the actifry with the meat. I havent done much in the way of chips or fries but thats coming...

WingnutandMe 07-24-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Longhorn Energy (Post 4415363)
Im baaaack!!

I read the whole thread, and for me of course cause Im a man, I dont use recipes lol

I have tried almost anything you can imagine in the actifry though, and it seems to come out great. The 'fake' chicken wings are for sure a hit though, in fact before IP I never ate chicken. I have also done steak strips, not to make them deep fried, just to cook them. I like the fact that can do stuff from literally rare to deep fried and anything in between. Just adjusting the time of course. I use a lot of sauces 0/0/0 and pour them right into the actifry with the meat. I havent done much in the way of chips or fries but thats coming...

So glad to see you back and thanks for giving us your tips. It's a new way of cooking, so everything helps. Add something if you end up with a great recipe (I know you don't do recipes).

I'm trying some pork tonight. Got a few minutes before I decide what to do exactly. I'm really enjoying mine.

Molly

Longhorn Energy 07-24-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WingnutandMe (Post 4415472)
So glad to see you back and thanks for giving us your tips. It's a new way of cooking, so everything helps. Add something if you end up with a great recipe (I know you don't do recipes).

I'm trying some pork tonight. Got a few minutes before I decide what to do exactly. I'm really enjoying mine.

Molly

Mmmmm pork will be fantastic. I bought a pork loin at Costco, and sliced it about an inch thick then cubed it and it seemed to dry out a bit, so the rest of the loin I still sliced about an inch thick but then into strips and cooked a bit less, to about med-rare almost med, and it was sooo good. I didnt do anything to it other than some seasoning salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I love hot sauce, but dont think it goes with pork so I put some in a spray bottle with some hot water and sprayed on the pork during the last 5 mins of cooking and wow, tender, juicy, and a bit of spice, loved it.

I will keep adding my quasi recipes and disasters, as there have been a few of those.