Old 07-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

I'd be interested in this if it made great french fries and fried chicken...anyone try to make those yet?

Thanks!
Chloe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
I out a shout out for longhorn,meh suggested the chicken finger recipes.
I think Longhorn is still on holidays! Lucky him
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #18  

This is from a previous post from Longhorn when I quizzed him on how to make buffalo chicken in his Actifry

Actuary is a...Uhmmm...I dont know wtf it is but basically it turns out food similar to deep fried, without frying or using oil...They say a teaspoon of oil, but we never use any. They sell them everywhere, WallyWorld, Can Tire, Zellers, Bay, etc...Check around though the pricing is all over the place. Here is a link for it: http://www.tefal.com/All+Products/Co...ry/Actifry.htm

Now...PC Buffalo Wing Hot Sauce...is of course 0/0/0 and Franks Red Hot Buffallo sauce is 5 cal and 1g carbs if I remember, but the PC stuff is good, and there is a mild version too.

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/LCLOn...roductId=17863

Now...the chicken...I love wings but of course we are not supposed to have skin, so...Two diffferent way...

1) Chicken breast-cut into strips roughly the size of a chicken wing, toss into the Actifry for approx 25 mins, add sauce and back on for 5 mins..

2) I buy actual chicken wings (not split) and then split them myself, and with a fillet knife, one slice up each side and the skin peels right off, then I use actual chicken wings...they are definitely a bit fattier, but taste really good. Same process for cooking, but I do them a bit longer, approx 30 mins and then 5 more with the sauce.

If you were a wing lover, these are a fantastic substitute. The actifry apparently does all kinds of things like fries and stuff, but we actually bought it for meatballs, wings and perogies, then when I started IP it went into the pantry. I have just started experimenting with it, so more to follow.

Thanks a ton longhorn!!!! This is going to have to be tried!!!!! And no oil then in the unit? Ok. Good to know!! On the hunt for one. Thanks!!!!
mompattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #19  
Feb 2012

S/C/G: 300/248/145

Height: 5'6"

I did fajitas, green peppers and onions in it again tonight. No oil added and they came out great.
athebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #20  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Location: Pine Mountain, Georgia & on a little lake in NE Michigan

S/C/G: 291/171.4/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe222 View Post
I'd be interested in this if it made great french fries and fried chicken...anyone try to make those yet?

Thanks!
Hey Chloe,

Plan to try french fries for DH tonight. I will report back.

Molly
WingnutandMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
Hey Chloe,

Plan to try french fries for DH tonight. I will report back.

Molly
Great! Will be watching the board to see how it goes! I wonder if you can do the "double fried" version. They are extra crispy on the outside, sort of creamy on the inside, a tad spicy too...potato wedges often done like this.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I'm not doing IP, but maaan Ive been eyeballing the actifry for months now!!!
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 263/213.5/150

Height: 5' 5"

With all the buzz about the actifry, I have been googling for a while. There is a website with recipes-of course, not all IP friendly, but can be modified. I had it bookmarked for ideas, and of course for time reference on how long to cook things. www.actifry.net Hope that helps
vicknops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #24  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Quote:
Great! Will be watching the board to see how it goes! I wonder if you can do the "double fried" version. They are extra crispy on the outside, sort of creamy on the inside, a tad spicy too...potato wedges often done like this.
To start out the first time, I'm going 100% by the recipe. I'll experiment later when I get the hang of things. So far I have not seen a recipe like wht you've described.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicknops View Post
With all the buzz about the actifry, I have been googling for a while. There is a website with recipes-of course, not all IP friendly, but can be modified. I had it bookmarked for ideas, and of course for time reference on how long to cook things. www.actifry.net Hope that helps
Thanks. I've been searching on the net and have compiled about 20 pages of a Word doc into what I've found. As you mentioned most are not IP-friendly, but I have a skinny husband that needs fed (or he just loses more weight, so sad). If I find something IP-friendly, I'll share.

Molly

P. S. There is an Actifry Facebook page that has some recipes and a lot of people talking about recipes and the Actifry.

Last edited by WingnutandMe; 07-19-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #25  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Sorry to let anyone who was waiting for the french fry report down, but I went into town to buy potatoes (they recommend using nice starchy Russets, which we don't have) and got to the store parking lot and no wallet. No credit cards, no cash, no driver's license (eek). Most of you will say, so. Well, we live 20 miles from shopping. Sorry, not going back again today. Fortunately, the trip was not totally wasted as I had a scheduled doctor's appointment. I was just going in combine my shopping with it. The issues with living waaaay out in the woods (wouldn't trade it for anything).

Maybe tomorrow.

Molly
Old 07-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #26  

Quote:
Sorry to let anyone who was waiting for the french fry report down, but I went into town to buy potatoes (they recommend using nice starchy Russets, which we don't have) and got to the store parking lot and no wallet. No credit cards, no cash, no driver's license (eek). Most of you will say, so. Well, we live 20 miles from shopping. Sorry, not going back again today. Fortunately, the trip was not totally wasted as I had a scheduled doctor's appointment. I was just going in combine my shopping with it. The issues with living waaaay out in the woods (wouldn't trade it for anything).

Maybe tomorrow.

Molly
No problem. Where did you buy your actifry? I think I'll just go ahead and order one. Last night I read a review of actifry by David Lebovitz and he thought it did a great job on french fries and a pretty good job on other things.

Last edited by Chloe222; 07-19-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #27  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Quote:
No problem. Where did you buy your actifry? I think I'll just go ahead and order one. Last night I read a review of actifry by David Lebovitz and he thought it did a great job on french fries and a pretty good job on other things.
I found one on Amazon for $179.60 with their free super saver shipping. Check out the ActiFry Recipes Facebook page. It's pretty interesting.
http://www.facebook.com/Actifry.Recipies

Molly
Old 07-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 328.2/205/178

Height: 5'8"

Really play with the cooking times. After overdoing my turnip a week ago I tried again last night and they were undercooked. Blech. I had to eat them though as I was running out the door. Yargh.
IPdivajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #29  
Started IP 1/16/2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPdivajen View Post
Really play with the cooking times. After overdoing my turnip a week ago I tried again last night and they were undercooked. Blech. I had to eat them though as I was running out the door. Yargh.
Good to know. Sorry it was at your expense. I was wondering about that timing. I have not seen any recipes for trying to make our "fake" fries. As I research, I will try to see if there a recipe that does something crispy with any veggies.

Thanks for keeping in touch with us on this.

Molly
Old 07-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #30  

Quote:
Good to know. Sorry it was at your expense. I was wondering about that timing. I have not seen any recipes for trying to make our "fake" fries. As I research, I will try to see if there a recipe that does something crispy with any veggies.

Thanks for keeping in touch with us on this.

Molly
Molly,
Check out David Lebovitz review of actifry and his expereience in making good crisp fries. He's an american chef living in Paris.
www.davidlebovitz.com/2010/02/the-actifry

David Lebovitz: I followed the instructions, peeling then cutting the potatoes into bâtons, rinsing them, drying them thoroughly before putting them in the machine. Then the user adds one tablespoon of oil, closes the lid, and sets the timer for thirty minutes.
Every few minutes, I peered into the machine, and nothing much seemed to be happening. The potatoes were being stirred by the revolving arm, very, very slowly. But like the French, things might move slowly, but when they finally produce something, it’s exceptional. (Like the Concorde, although no one ever could explain to me why diagonally-cut beans are called ‘French cut’.) And as the machine turned, skeptical me was surprised as the sticks of potato soon turned a golden-brown color. And after stopping the machine to pluck one out, a sprinkle of salt was all that was needed, and I had to admit the French fry was very good, somewhat mottled, but crisp!