Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 155/139/130ish

Height: 5.5

Thank you that recipe sounds very good............gotta try them...
Old 07-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #47  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

Cap: I am glad to hear that you have stabilized and that things are going well with you. The more support the better! That recipe looks good.

Busymom: Your haircut sounds cute. Hope you enjoy Ontario..I bet your weight
is influenced by the lack of TOM.

I had lunch with some women..One was bemoaning the fact that she was on a "diet" and suffering..Then we got talking about cooking. She said since she was on a diet, she rarely cooked and just grabbed things.

So, I reflected that this is the opposite of me..who cooks and prepares..

My question to you folks is, do you feel deprived while maintaining? This girl felt angry at not being able to eat the deserts.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:49 PM   #48  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

I think I feel deprived in terms of socializing. It is fun to drink like everyone else in your party or indulge in the richer foods like everyone else. I enjoy eating. I like food. But, sometimes it's a little hard to clink your water glass against everyone else's wine glass and dig right into your salad as they dive into pasta or something. In the long run I feel good and proud of myself for coming so far, but sometimes short term I want to be like everyone else at the table and not pass over 80% of the menu.

Oh and everything has sugar. E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G.

Welcome back Cap. Glad to hear you found the right path.

Ishbel, I am also in month 2, actually the beginning of month 3 of maintenance. It does get easier.

Last edited by purple sky; 07-19-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:36 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

BusyMom- don't lament too much the fact you can't run... it may behoove you in the long run as the harder you exercise the hungrier you get and the more justified you feel in eating. Overcompensating is dangerous territory... so sometimes walking done consistently is the perfect exercise. Be proud that you are taking that on! Hopefully your body will get back on track soon TOM wise. I had the Mirena in while I was on IP phase 1 and throughout all the phases and TOM was absent the whole time. It is a disconcerting experience not to have it (though to say I missed it would be going too far ). Caution in Phase 4 is paramount. I promised myself that I would stay absolutely true to Phase 4 guidelines until I had been in Phase 4 for as long as I had been in Phase 1 (which was 4 months). I continued staying in phase 4 for 3 months beyond that. This really helped to stabilize my weight and give me confidence in my ability to reduce my weight after overindulging. Learning how to pick myself up after a fall was something that I had never really learned and I truly appreciate the fact that I know I can now. My journey in maintenance is simply continuing...
Maile- I can't believe you're setting up your classroom already! It seems that summer has just begun and yet here it is, half over...
I'm with you on the preparing and cooking. It is the joy of food. Learning to take joy in the making rather than only the eating allows me to focus on food while still limiting intake. That said today was a grab and go day and I just did my best to make good choices.
PurpleSky- Have a wine spritzer. And a giant glass of water. When there's a toast take a sip of the wine otherwise guzzle the water. Nothing says you have to finish the spritzer it can just be nice to feel like you're participating.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #50  
Maile

PurpleSky: You are so right..Socializing is where you feel the difference..that 80% not being able to eat or drink is very true. Last summer I was at a dinner party where the chef made paella..rice dish for the group. I was on Phase 1..sipping water. He took 3 hours to make the dish..everyone else was having drinks and apetizers. I was starving..and then had to pick protein out of the rice dish. It was a long night.
And yes, sugar is everywhere!!!!!

I can understand that long term..short term feelings. We are in it for the long term..but those short feelings pop up and you wish you could just be like everybody else.
I guess what hit me..what that this girl felt so negative, so angry that she could not have the desert. She also had no pleasure in eating..to her, food was a diet..something to suffer through..thus she did not cook or find much pleasure in it. By the way her efforts have not been successful.

Cap: I have been moved to a new room..so I have to go in and organize the new room. I start again in August. These summer days are precious.
Hope you are enjoying the summer with your kids.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #51  
Started IP 12/30/11

That is something I am working on, finding pleasure in food because it is very enjoyable. You don't want it to be just for sustenance.

I am in So Cal. and I have been surrounded by women who do not like food and who are afraid of food. And they don't like themselves for that matter. I have never seen anything like it in any other state. So eating is highly unpleasant for them. Lots and lots of guilt surround each meal. It's a constant, "oh no, I could not have that." No enjoyment. No pleasure. I am very cognizant of it and don't want to become like that even though I have a lot of food limitations. But, I have watched for years as they try to size themselves down into teeny tiny sizes and I work really hard on not becoming like that. Even though I am quite a bit smaller than I used to be, I am so much larger than a lot of peeps in CA. So much. These woman just keep themselves just above the bone. Now, to each his own but in life you want to be happy and you need to he happy with who you are and how you look. Always wanting to be different or someone else can get you down.

Some women are naturally happier very lean and athletic but that is healthy. It concerns me when they get too lean and are not healthy. My coach is in the teeny tiny sizes and I am like why. I really don't want to get knocked over if a strong gust of wind ever comes through.

Not sure why I am on this tangent today. It's not an IP issue more so a So. Cal issue but it has troubled me for years. I can understand healthy and lean and fit over things like fear of food and fear of fat and wanting to be a different person.

DH and I were talking about how much nicer people are to us here now. Yes, only one thing changed this year. We are still the same people that we were last year. I was just not aware of how poorly we were treated because we looked different before. The difference is dramatic.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

Cap welcome back, love that muffins recipe, do you think a cup of cooked quinoa work be ok in there? Or a scoop of protein powder....I would love to have a muffin for a snack at night, it's the protein that helps me for my evening snack...anyone else have an opinion?

Maile I come from a family of teachers...you sound just like them, I don't call my sister at all in June...and when they changed classrooms it was a busy summer for them.

Busymom don't worry so much about not running, I am loving it because it reminds me of how I felt cross country skiing in my younger years and cap is right, sometimes it ups your hunger and you know how I am with testing how I feel the day after I run....just keep walking, it's the same thing!

Purple we are of the same graduating class!

So I'm home this week, for a long weekend and I'm so relaxed with my mom, she's totally awesome and knows exactly how I eat! She has quinoa, boiled eggs, low sugar jam and almond milk ready for me....I'm such a spoiled daughter! She is so different then my auntie (who was NOT supportive over the christmas holidays and still thinks its odd to have a fruit as a "treat"). I feel so loved!

I've re-discovered laughing cow cheese...mmm....perfect for my lunches!

VIP is back from Europe on Sunday, late but I know I will get a hug cause he has to stop by my house to pick up his house keys before he can go home...super super excited to see him! He just finished the Nijmegan march, 50 km a day for four days...total 200 km and you receive a royal issued medal when you've completed the march. He facetimed me this morning and said "I hurt hurt hurt and I really want a beer" lol. I'm so proud of him for doing such a physically and mentally challenging thing!
Old 07-20-2012, 09:50 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Height: 5'7"

Purple sky- I know exactly what you mean about southern California- I did a traveling nurse assignment down there approximate 15 years ago. I was definitely not overweight at the time but always felt fat. The people I worked with never ate at meal breaks and there were never ever any munchies in the break room- was the only place I ever worked at where it was like that. Everyone was very skinny and I remember a few nurses that I worked with whom I commented on liking some nice jewelry they were wearing- think thick gold chains that were in style at the time, and they confided in me that they rented the jewelry and gave me names of places where I could do the same. Crazy-anyway, just sharing a story from my past. Have a good weekend.
Old 07-21-2012, 10:14 AM   #54  
Maile

Determined and Purple Sky..My son's girlfriend is from LA..and says the same thing. People are obsessed about being extremely thin..and about wearing designer clothes, shoes and purses. I remember going into stores and seeing size 0 and ..or just smalls..some mediums, no larges. You find some of that in the big cities..like Seattle.
Purple Sky..it must be hard to be around that environment. So are people being nicer to you because you have lost weight and fit in better?
I don't want to become so afraid of food.and unhappy like those women either.

Determined ..that is too weird about renting jewelry. I am still in a state of shock that people spend 1000 on a purse..Hope I don't offend anyone here.

I have the opposite problem. I live in a small rural town. I work in an even tinier town in Oregon. The norm there is majorly overweight. People think I am too thin.

Ishbel: I am glad you understand what changing rooms means. Teachers are pack rats and my new room is going to need lots of work..unpaid.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 212/196/160

Height: 5'7"

Maile
I live in a town with a population of 300 people. If I bought a purse for $1000, no one would know the difference! If they knew that I spent that much on a purse, they may have a fundraiser for me to pay for psychiatric treatment. I'd much rather live in this environment than one where everyone is trying to impress and starve themselves to impress ......who? Anyway, I do not want to offend either, takes all kinds and we all have different reasons for what guides life and health choices.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #56  
Started IP 12/30/11

I made this ladies. Yum.

From Elena's Pantry.

http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-breakfast-bread/
There is a video link if you want to see it as well. Quick and easy.
Especially if you keep almond butter on hand
Read comments for substitutions. I do like cinnamon but for some it was too much. I used coconut nectar instead of honey. You can probably skip the honey (or agave) but I think it does something to the texture.

I wish I could give you the nutritional breakdown. But, a 1/2 cup of almond butter is like 800 calories and a good amt of fat and carbs. The rest of the calories and fat came from the nectar and eggs. I know most of us can do more fat than other things in our diets.

I do try to follow the basic IP rule of eat the richest or most at breakfast. The rest of the day I am a bit lighter, sometimes. Still experimenting. These turned out suprisingly light. Not like brownies.

Paleo Breakfast Bread

½ cup creamy roasted almond butter
2 eggs
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon stevia
¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon

In a large bowl, with a hand blender, mix almond butter until creamy
Mix in eggs, honey, vanilla and stevia
Add salt, baking soda and cinnamon
Mix well with hand blender until all ingredients are combined
Transfer batter into a well greased 8x8 inch Pyrex baking dish
Bake at 325° for 12 to 15 minutes
Serve

Serves 4

Okay, it's next day. Scale is up. So, this might be a maybe for you guys. Quite good though. Very light but I ate too much of it.

Last edited by purple sky; 07-22-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #57  
Started IP 12/30/11

Mmmm...yum. I have a funny feeling the scale may not like those bars but I have to try. Mmmm.

I have started testing the waters a little more. I think I was sort of afraid of food for a while and remained very close to P3 for a long time. Then because of several extended family/friends visits and events I was forced into eating differently and nothing really bad happened. It took a while to get back to my normal but I am okay now but don't want to do that again. Carb hangovers don't feel good. Neither does bloated belly.

I am not too keen on how I am treated better because I am a different size. I am the same person. But, I was not prepared for the treatment to be so dramatically different. I am also surprised when people are not sure if I am still losing. But, people are weird and have so many opinions. Oh, you lost too much. Are you done yet? And so it goes. I am good. I am fine.

People don't like it if you lose too much because they remember old you with the rounder face. Some want you to be more California because very small is where it is at. One day I was looking at clothing racks and saw very little in 4's and even less smaller than that. It then made no sense to me to size down anymore because I would not have choices.

I have been very pleased with where I am at now but I was not prepared for the dramatic difference in treatment.

Heaven forbid you see a rail thin actress with bones protruding and you said she is too skinny, they look at you like you are from mars. I really worry about women and body image here.

And the 1k purse. Yes, I am dumbfounded by that as well. Purses, jeans, watches. Whatever. It's different here.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:35 PM   #58  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

purple Your posts and the subsequent discussion created quite the conversation piece with my mom and I. People around me think I'M too small, much less what they would think of me in SC, I'm from a small northern saskatchewan community...can't imagine what it would be like to be surrounded by 0's and never find a L in a shop. I'm excited to fit into a M or a L HAHA!

As for 1K on a purse...rather go on a trip...but I am digging that I can fit lululemon workout clothes...which can be damaging to my wallet.

So this past weekend was FABULOUS with my mom...and then free day, in highsight I plunged head first into white wheat flour with some baked goods and then what I like to call 'garden gush' which is a steak supper surrounded by all types of veggies from the garden. It was awesome for my mom to create a grand supper for me that was 'quasi' healthy because there was tons of veggies...HOWEVER the garlic toast was white and one of the veggies had a white sauce on it...HELLO WHITE FLOUR!! (I never put much thought into what I was eating I guess) I woke up this morning in PAIN...hard core physical PAIN. Like tummy ache, like you've been coughing for 7 days, or you did a million crunches and anything I put down there, it felt like it was going to come back up. The only things I've had today are two shakes, 4 pickles, 5 radishes, 6 oz of chicken, a bar and 5 litres of cool water (the cool water was the only thing that felt soothing). Anytime I 'try' something it felt 'sore'.

I just had the bar right before typing this and at this point of the post I'm already feeling 'sore'. I'm not going to self diagnose myself but from my research it sounds like a gluten sensitivity. I have had wheat since I stopped Phase 1, but never like this meal...and I could feel the difference between whole wheat bread and sprouted grain bread but it felt more 'sluggish'....this was P-A-I-N. I've had my gallbladder removed, when it was inflamed...the pain would increase to a 6 and then I'd head to emerg...to stop it from going higher (as it was climbing)...this pain today has been a constant 5-6...never getting more then that and it feels TERRIBLE! ugh! Definately checking with the doc next time I'm in...and staying the heck away from WHEAT!

Anyone with a diagnosed gluten intolerance/sensitivity (as they seem to mean the same thing?) out there...is this what it feels like??

Last edited by Ishbel; 07-22-2012 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #59  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Height: 5' 8"

Default Phase 3 question

Thought I'd post this question here.
I'm on Day 2 of Phase 3. Adding grains back has brought my fibromyalgia back with a vengeance. Has anyone else gone through Phase 3 without using grains? Can the carbs come from another source? I'm doing IP on my own with alternatives so this forum has been my "coach".
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #60  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaMaZu View Post
Thought I'd post this question here.
I'm on Day 2 of Phase 3. Adding grains back has brought my fibromyalgia back with a vengeance. Has anyone else gone through Phase 3 without using grains? Can the carbs come from another source? I'm doing IP on my own with alternatives so this forum has been my "coach".
Thanks in advance!
Yes I had to give up on phase 3 very quickly. I had learned way before IP that the only grain I can handle is oats and also dairy gives me sinus infections. I did try phase 3 using sprouted grain bread and also yogurt.
But I was gaining two pounds + a day and was immediately feeling totally drained with no energy.

Actually I really enjoy my high protein shakes for breakfast as I am totally not a morning person.

So after 4 days and 8 pounds up I eliminated the phase 3 breakfast and went back to the shakes and the sudden gain came off and my energy came back.

So my way of eating in phase 4 is actually much like phase 2 all week with a few treats like wine on the weekends. This works very well for me.

Intolerances we had before IP will still be there when we hit maintenance.

Funny now I remember feeling like such a failure when I had to pull out of phase 3 but after a few days on phase 2 again I felt 100% better physically.

I did add a bit of carbs back for breakfast with some berries in my shake.

The important thing I learned in phase 1 is that I have to have a set routine with my eating. I was a snacker before and often was not hungry for actual meals. You end up eating way more that way.

Good luck, you will dtermine what works best for you as yo go through the phase 3 and go on the phase 4.

Pat

Last edited by patns; 07-23-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Closed Thread