Old 07-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/145/135

Height: 5.3

Default EXPERTS : I need your help understanding how to count Carb sugars and alcohol sugars

I need your help understanding how to count Carb sugars and alcohol sugars

I have seen many posts about alcohol sugars and regular sugars, some subtract, but subtract what from what??? I am 100% OTP with 90% being IP and 10% being some Proti-thin products. I have really been reading my labels on my IP boxes and most have sugar, different types of sugars and carbs. The big confusing question is….How much sugar and or Carbs can I eat in a day to stay in ketosis?

Thanks so much, your help will be greatly appreciated!!
sweetsloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I don't count carbs as I just follow the IP diet and basically the work is done for you. I guess if you want to count carbs then you have to decide if you want to count total carbs or net carbs. Personally when I do look at carb totals, I've always gone by net carbs as those are the only carbs that will affect your weight.

To count net carbs you take the total carb count and then subtract any fiber and sugar alcohol if any in the product from the total and the balance is your net carbs. For example a bar has 17grams total carbs. It also has 2 grams of fiber and 12 grams of sugar alcohols.
17 total carbs
- 2 fiber
-12 sugar alcohols[/U]
= 3 net carbs

Forgot to add, generally if you stay under 50 carbs per day you will be in ketosis. However that said, that might be too high for some people and they may need to lower there carb count. I think on average the carb count on IP is somewhere between 30 and 40 grams. I did watch an IP video recently with one of the doctors who is on the board for IP and he said the average carb count on IP was 30 to 40, but for some people that may be too high and 25 grams per day may be more reasonable.

Last edited by DanafromAustin; 07-10-2012 at 01:29 PM.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
I don't count carbs as I just follow the IP diet and basically the work is done for you. I guess if you want to count carbs then you have to decide if you want to count total carbs or net carbs. Personally when I do look at carb totals, I've always gone by net carbs as those are the only carbs that will affect your weight.

To count net carbs you take the total carb count and then subtract any fiber and sugar alcohol if any in the product from the total and the balance is your net carbs. For example a bar has 17grams total carbs. It also has 2 grams of fiber and 12 grams of sugar alcohols.
17 total carbs
- 2 fiber
-12 sugar alcohols[/u]
= 3 net carbs

Forgot to add, generally if you stay under 50 carbs per day you will be in ketosis. However that said, that might be too high for some people and they may need to lower there carb count. I think on average the carb count on IP is somewhere between 30 and 40 grams. I did watch an IP video recently with one of the doctors who is on the board for IP and he said the average carb count on IP was 30 to 40, but for some people that may be too high and 25 grams per day may be more reasonable.
Dana,
I appreciate the fact that IP does all the work for us, but with that being said...I will never learn how to live my new life unless I learn what I am putting into my mouth. I want to take the time to learn everything and not just depend on opening a packet and adding water. I hope to have the success you have had, and thank you so much for the advice.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #4  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

I count net carbs. Pretty much what Dana said in the post above.

I've been using alternative products through my process too, and I always check in the ingredients list on any product I'm thinking about using to see if any sugars or sugar alcohols are listed. Obviously I avoid sugar or it's equivalents. As far as sugar alcohols, they are not all quite 'equal' when it comes to how they affect our blood sugar. There's a chart at this link that is quite informative. Have a look for yourself. The lower they rank on the GI the better they are at not impacting our blood sugar.

Maltitol syrup comes in on the glycemic index scale just slightly below pure sucrose (sugar). I avoid it. I try to use just products that use the sugar alcohols that are low on the GI scale. Erythritol in particular has 0 impact on blood sugar.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/wha...aralcohols.htm

I forgot to say that my strategy is to stay beneath 40 net carbs for the day. There are some video clips that I saw a while back that were made and distributed by one of the IP clinics. On one of them the clinic's Doctor and a coach were discussing net carbs. It was said clearly there that the general range of net carb intake/day on IP is between 20-40gms. Where a dieter falls between 20-40gms/day is an individual matter. I seem to stay in ketosis quite well as long as I stay under 40g/day.

Another thing.... LOL... it's easier to have a lower net carb total at the end of the day if your food intake has relatively high fiber. Again, I'm using alternative products. I tend to chose several/day that have a decent amount of fiber content. That, and the fiber in my daily vegetables helps me net carb out below 40/day much more easily than if I wasn't having a relatively good fiber intake. Plus, no issues with the 'Big C'.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by evepet; 07-10-2012 at 02:04 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I count net carbs. Pretty much what Dana said in the post above.

I've been using alternative products through my process too, and I always check in the ingredients list on any product I'm thinking about using to see if any sugars or sugar alcohols are listed. Obviously I avoid sugar or it's equivalents. As far as sugar alcohols, they are not all quite 'equal' when it comes to how they affect our blood sugar. There's a chart at this link that is quite informative. Have a look for yourself. The lower they rank on the GI the better they are at not impacting our blood sugar.

Maltitol syrup comes in on the glycemic index scale just slightly below pure sucrose (sugar). I avoid it. I try to use just products that use the sugar alcohols that are low on the GI scale. Erythritol in particular has 0 impact on blood sugar.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/wha...aralcohols.htm

I forgot to say that my strategy is to stay beneath 40 net carbs for the day. There are some video clips that I saw a while back that were made and distributed by one of the IP clinics. On one of them the clinic's Doctor and a coach were discussing net carbs. It was said clearly there that the general range of net carb intake/day on IP is between 20-40gms. Where a dieter falls between 20-40gms/day is an individual matter. I seem to stay in ketosis quite well as long as I stay under 40g/day.

Another thing.... LOL... it's easier to have a lower net carb total at the end of the day if your food intake has relatively high fiber. Again, I'm using alternative products. I tend to chose several/day that have a decent amount of fiber content. That, and the fiber in my daily vegetables helps me net carb out below 40/day much more easily than if I wasn't having a relatively good fiber intake. Plus, no issues with the 'Big C'.

Hope this helps.
Evepet,
Thank you so much! Looks like our weight numbers are close and you are loosing well. What alternative products are you using???
Old 07-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #6  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsloan View Post
Evepet,
Thank you so much! Looks like our weight numbers are close and you are loosing well. What alternative products are you using???
Glad it was useful info.

I've been buying low carb cereals, waffle/pancake mix, muffin mix, suitable protein bars, and a variety of other odds and sods from
http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/cat...oducts_id=2130 which is based in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area. I live in a city in Ontario which isn't too far from Toronto, so it works well for me to just order online from them. I know this probably won't be much help to you though. I also have ordered some ProtiDiet products from www.proteinwell.ca and I've bought appropriate RTDs such as Pure Protein and EAS CarbAdvantage. Both of those products seem to be readily available in the US through Walmarts, Costco, etc. I've also picked up oatmeal and soup packets at my local Dr. Bernstein's clinic. These are practically identical to the ones sold through ProtiDiet. I did the Dr. Bernstein's diet program about 10 years ago (yes - unfortunately allowed the weight to come back....) and I knew they would be very similiar to IP. When I review the ingredients & nutritional labels, they're practically identical.

There are many American posters here who've been very successfully following an alternative version of IP using just alternative products. Go to http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...se-1-talk.html and/or http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ions-here.html. I know a lot of the posters from various parts of the US purchase alternative products from Nashua.com. Nashua has a great selection... I would order from them myself - I'm sometimes tempted - but I prefer to avoid the shipping and customs fees. Reviewing the threads I just pointed out will give you some more ideas of the specific products folks here are using and enjoying.

Basically you have to review the nutritional stats for the IP item, and pick an alternative product that matches it as closely as possible. And as I said earlier, finding something with fiber is a plus when it comes to 'net carbing'.

One more thing... when I first decided to go 'off plan' and use just alternatives, I plugged in what I was eating for a few days while on IP products into my Daily Diet Calendar at www.fatsecret.com. That way I was able to see what the carb/fat/sodium/protein/sugar etc etc intake of those pure IP days were. There are many IP food items already loaded into their food database, so it's pretty easy to do this. Then you just add in whatever veggies, etc., you would normally be consuming each day as part of your standard on-IP day's worth of food/drink. I found this really useful to know, and used it then as a guide for planning my menus with 'off-IP Program' options.

Last edited by evepet; 07-10-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
Glad it was useful info.

I've been buying low carb cereals, waffle/pancake mix, muffin mix, suitable protein bars, and a variety of other odds and sods from
http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/cat...oducts_id=2130 which is based in the Toronto, Ontario, Canada area. I live in a city in Ontario which isn't too far from Toronto, so it works well for me to just order online from them. I know this probably won't be much help to you though. I also have ordered some ProtiDiet products from www.proteinwell.ca and I've bought appropriate RTDs such as Pure Protein and EAS CarbAdvantage. Both of those products seem to be readily available in the US through Walmarts, Costco, etc. I've also picked up oatmeal and soup packets at my local Dr. Bernstein's clinic. These are practically identical to the ones sold through ProtiDiet. I did the Dr. Bernstein's diet program about 10 years ago (yes - unfortunately allowed the weight to come back....) and I knew they would be very similiar to IP. When I review the ingredients & nutritional labels, they're practically identical.

There are many American posters here who've been very successfully following an alternative version of IP using just alternative products. Go to http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...se-1-talk.html and/or http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...ions-here.html. I know a lot of the posters from various parts of the US purchase alternative products from Nashua.com. Nashua has a great selection... I would order from them myself - I'm sometimes tempted - but I prefer to avoid the shipping and customs fees. Reviewing the threads I just pointed out will give you some more ideas of the specific products folks here are using and enjoying.

Basically you have to review the nutritional stats for the IP item, and pick an alternative product that matches it as closely as possible. And as I said earlier, finding something with fiber is a plus when it comes to 'net carbing'.

One more thing... when I first decided to go 'off plan' and use just alternatives, I plugged in what I was eating for a few days while on IP products into my Daily Diet Calendar at www.fatsecret.com. That way I was able to see what the carb/fat/sodium/protein/sugar etc etc intake of those pure IP days were. There are many IP food items already loaded into their food database, so it's pretty easy to do this. Then you just add in whatever veggies, etc., you would normally be consuming each day as part of your standard on-IP day's worth of food/drink. I found this really useful to know, and used it then as a guide for planning my menus with 'off-IP Program' options.
Evepet...Thanks!!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:10 PM   #8  
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP

S/C/G: 149/146/115

Height: 5'3

Well some people don't count sugar alcohol, but it's not completely safe to do that because it does elevate your insulin slightly, unlike fiber, which you can substract safely from your total carbs.
paulimapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #9  

Evepet,

Thanks for this http://www.fatsecret.com/ I love it far better than what IP suggested I use (my fitness pal) the fat secret has a smart phone app and it tracks my carbs for the day!!!! Thanks you sooooooo much!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 05:46 PM   #10  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsloan View Post
Evepet,

Thanks for this http://www.fatsecret.com/ I love it far better than what IP suggested I use (my fitness pal) the fat secret has a smart phone app and it tracks my carbs for the day!!!! Thanks you sooooooo much!!!
No problem! Glad to help. I think you'll find it quite useful. I use this system instead of writing everything down in a Food Diary as they'd have me doing if I was still going to an IP clinic. Good luck!

Last edited by evepet; 07-10-2012 at 05:48 PM.