Help with veggies!

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I'm in my 4th week of IP and SO happy to have found this forum. So far, I feel like I'm not doing as well as I could be and I think I'm in a veggies rut.

How do you get your veggies in? (1 or 2 C at a time?)
    What are some of your favorites?
    Do you use a dry measuring cup, or kitchen scale?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
  • I roast vegetables in the oven..roasted cauliflower, brocoli...then use the leftovers in my salad the next day. I also measure my veges: do easy ones like spinach or cherry tomatoes. I dump 3 cs of veges in a salad with 2 cups of lettuce..lunch and dinner.
    I also like roasted mushrooms.

Good luck .
  • Try steaming cauliflower with some spices or garlic and then put it in the blender or a bullet with a little oil.. make mashed "potatos." Also, I made rudabaga fries and they are VERY similar to real fries... I've been chopping 1 c. of celery into my lettuce. OH.. pan-fried zuchinni with herbs is great too!!
  • I made a veggie salsa and I put that on my salad along with some WF bacon ranch dressing.
  • Omelet every morning with 1 cup of mushrooms that I saute, then add a cup of spinach, so theres 2 cups down for the day.

Lunch, I dont have veggies, doesnt work with my workplace

Supper, 8oz protein, 2 cups with supper

Very simple, very easy. Spinach is a great one as it has little taste and cooked, it almost disappears lol.

Another trick, make your salads 50/50 lettuce and spinach, very easy to hide a cup of spinach in your supper salad
  • I am so glad to see this thread. I logged on just now to post something similar.

I am a little picky when it comes to veggies. I am starting to try some new ones but I feel like I can only eat so much broccoli!

I dont have any advice as I am looking for some myself. I'll be watching this thread.

I like Longhorn's idea about 50/50 in your salad. How do you measure spinach like that?
  • I have a salad for lunch, with some raw broccoli slaw and peppers added to it. For dinner I have my protein and 2 cups veggies, cooked in many ways - cauliflower is a staple you can steam it or roast it in small bite sized pieces sooo good! Steamed broccoli is a fav, grilled asparagus is also a fav, I love rutabaga fries as well another fav, I love sautéed mushrooms on my steak, so that's another way pod getting veggies in. I save 2 cups of veggies for evening, as I am addicted to rhubarb!! I nuke 2 cups frozen chopped rhubarb and mix some stevia in when cooked down. Serve alone or with an IP pudding of choice as evening snack, or you can even make a "crisp" with a bit of marg. and a porridge pack. Very good!!! So that's my 4 cups and salad!
  • ok what is rhubarb and where do you get it?
  • Do you have a grill? I got this . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-6434-Pro...s=Grill+basket

and it made cooking veggies so much easier! I buy asparagus, tri colored peppers, zuchini, and yellow squash on the weekend. I wash them and cube them up and put them in a container in ther fridge. At night, I either throw a little olive oil in a sautee pan and sautee them, or put them on the grill in the grill basket. Like Maile, I make enough to have leftovers for breakfast (with omlette packet) or lunch the next day. Romaine lettuce is also a staple for me. And I like the frozen steamfresh broccoli and cauliflower bags. So easy to throw them in the microwave. Another option is frozen asparagus or broccoli blended into IP soups.
  • My name is LizRR and i am a converted Veggie Freak!
    These are a few of my favorite things...

Zucchini - I make them 3 ways, all in sweet type dishes. 1. Shredded in my crispy cereal unrestricted pancakes, 2. baked apple chips, and 3. mock baked apples <-my favorite, can turn #3 into an apple crumble w/crispy cereal or oatmeal
    Cauliflower - 1. I roast w/celery & garlic, purée, and add to soups, 2. I grate and make 'fried rice', 3. just roasted with spices like popcorn
    Rutabaga - rutabaga fries, hands down delicious, prefer them over turnips personally
    Kale - Kale chips, when you crave that salty, crunchy texture, I think that's my fave too...
    Spinach - I have this every weekday morning in my cafe mocha spinach smoothie <-hold on, that's my fave
    Lettuce - ive been adding in a heart of romaine w/my spinach smoothie for more bulk, don't really eat salads anymore
    Asparagus & Mushrooms - who doesn't love them grilled or cooked with just about anything
    Green onions - I spray with evoo, sprinkle w/fajita seasoning and grill them....sooooo good
    Rhubarb - 1. I nuke it for 5 minutes w/WF strawberry spread & eat it as is, 2. Make rhubarb upside down cake with crispy cereal <-wait, thats my fave, 3. add it to raspberry jelly
    Poblano, bell pepper, jalapeño - I roast & purée with garlic for a spicy soup thickener, also stuffed peppers are good w/ground turkey
    Celery - Braised celery, great recipe I found & posted using an egg white makes a creamy sauce I've been missing.
    Cucumber - I julienne w/my mandoline to make 'noodles' I use with my miracle noodle Asian stirfry (wf sesame ginger, wd peanut spread, soy, fresh ginger, sriracha, cilantro), can do zucchini noodles too
  • Ditto all of what LizzrR said!!! LMAO!!! No wait, that's my fav! LOL!!
  • Quote: I am so glad to see this thread. I logged on just now to post something similar.

I am a little picky when it comes to veggies. I am starting to try some new ones but I feel like I can only eat so much broccoli!

I dont have any advice as I am looking for some myself. I'll be watching this thread.

I like Longhorn's idea about 50/50 in your salad. How do you measure spinach like that?
    Im super high tech about this...

I shove it into a measuring cup until its full....then this is the hard part...STOP, you have enough LOL

Seriously, I just put it in a measuring cup...
  • Quote: ok what is rhubarb and where do you get it?
    Let Me Google That For You
  • I too have a hard time getting my veggies in, some days more than others. These are a few things that help me;

I too add vegi's in my Omelet. At first I didn't like the omelet's, but then I read a post about putting WF Maple syrup on it. I think it's pretty good now.

I also could not stand the potato puree, but read about making it into a flat wrap. (mix packet with 74 ML of water). You spread out in small pan and when one side is cooked turn it over, this is when I add 1TBS of WF Strawberry Jelly which melts while the other side is cooking. I put my sauteed peppers and spinach in the wrap when done and it is like a sandwich w/bread.

I have a baggie of cucumbers and a baggie of celery, 1 cup worth are in each bag and I can easy grab one to take with me. Sometimes eating while I am driving or waiting somewhere helps. Celery doesn't really have a taste, but it's something to chew on.

SPINACH SHAKE: Sounds terrible but is pretty good and get 1 cup of spinach in too.

Peppers on the grill...1 large pepper is about 1 cup

Also, I tried Kale Chips which I didn't really care for. I would like to use the same recipe using Spinach this time.

I am also gonna mix up a salsa with vegi's, maybe use the Spinach Chips for dipping.
  • LizRR- what awesome recipes? Where can I find them? And how do you make rutabaga fries? Fries was one of my favorite comfort foods so a healthy sub would be excellent!!! And you look great!! Way to go! What an inspiration! Thanks!!!