Old 07-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #1  

Default What CAN I eat?????

So... as listed in a previous post I tried starting IP last week only to discover that I am allergic to soy. After some searches and help on here(no coach) I have ordered Pea protein to use as my shakes. My problem is that I can't find anything to use as the IP packs except the shake. One person mentioned that they were allergic to the soy shakes but did ok on the packets. I have a bunch of Proti-diet foods but don't think I should risk trying them since they contain soy. Does anyone know of anything like the food packets that don't contain soy? Any help is MUCH appreciated!!!!!
guttergirl9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #2  
First Day IP 31 May 2012

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by guttergirl9 View Post
So... as listed in a previous post I tried starting IP last week only to discover that I am allergic to soy. After some searches and help on here(no coach) I have ordered Pea protein to use as my shakes. My problem is that I can't find anything to use as the IP packs except the shake. One person mentioned that they were allergic to the soy shakes but did ok on the packets. I have a bunch of Proti-diet foods but don't think I should risk trying them since they contain soy. Does anyone know of anything like the food packets that don't contain soy? Any help is MUCH appreciated!!!!!
"the six IDEAL drinks (Yogurt Wild Berry, Cappuccino, Peach-Mango, Banana-Pineapple,
Blueberry, pomegranate, cranberry, and the Cocoa drink contain NO SOY whatsoever. You
could do the diet using these six products and nor have to worry at all about the "soy
controversy", albeit your variety would be somewhat compromised."

Source http://www.ihpweightloss.com/Notes/P...plications.pdf

The article goes on to list how much soy is in the other IP products as well, starts on page 2
GrandmaKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #3  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Have you been tested for a soy allergy? What were the reactions? Hives?

Last edited by Longhorn Energy; 07-02-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #4  
Started IP 5/16/2016

S/C/G: 220/220/165

Height: 5'6

What does your coach say?
marlenesuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #5  

Red face

I haven't been tested. I have food allergies to some fruits and stuff where my throat gets tingly. Kiwi puts me in the hospital w/ a 3in tongue. I had about 3 sips of the EAS shake and within 5 mins my throat and and toungue got really tingly. Within 10min of drinking it I was throwing up, had stomach cramps and diarrhea. Someone got me some Benadryl and 15 min after taking it everything went away. My tongue didn't start to swell like w/ Kiwi so I didn't go to the hospital. A year ago I had some Silk that was almond based. After one sip I started to get tingly so I threw it away. I assumed it was the almonds since they sometimes make my throat tingly. But after having the EAS I know it was the soy. I'm just trying to see if there's anything like the food packets I can take that aren't soy based so I don't have to have so many shakes.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I haven't been tested. I have food allergies to some fruits and stuff where my throat gets tingly. Kiwi puts me in the hospital w/ a 3in tongue. I had about 3 sips of the EAS shake and within 5 mins my throat and and toungue got really tingly. Within 10min of drinking it I was throwing up, had stomach cramps and diarrhea. Someone got me some Benadryl and 15 min after taking it everything went away. My tongue didn't start to swell like w/ Kiwi so I didn't go to the hospital. A year ago I had some Silk that was almond based. After one sip I started to get tingly so I threw it away. I assumed it was the almonds since they sometimes make my throat tingly. But after having the EAS I know it was the soy. I'm just trying to see if there's anything like the food packets I can take that aren't soy based so I don't have to have so many shakes.
I did a quick internet check and am not sure what other things you are dealing with.

If you are looking for a bar, look at ingredients of the Pure Protein Bars. They do have soy lecithin, which is kind of like soy bean oil. They also have peanut flour.

If the ingredients list isn't too challenging, half a large size bar would be equivalent to an IP product. Lots of people use these. The chocolate one doesn't taste too bad. It has a soft texture.

Unjury is another one but I was disappointed in the ingredients list. They have a soup.

Google "whey protein soup" or "whey protein" whatever it is you are looking for and see what comes up.

When you have allergies as unique and potentially severe as yours, I would want to be carefully reading ingredient lists and not just depending on what one person who is allergic to soy is able to tolerate.

There are lots of whey protein shakes and drinks out there, even ready-to-drink, I've just not checked into the other products like soups and such. You might also ask on the Alternatives Talk thread if you haven't already.

Last edited by infoplease; 07-03-2012 at 11:37 PM. Reason: typos
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 260/224/195

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
EAS carb control has no soy at all.
Ingredients:
Filtered Water, MyoProŽ Protein Blend (Milk Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate, Whey Protein Isolate). Less than 2% of the Following: Cocoa Powder (Processed with Alkali), High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Vitamin & Mineral Blend (Sodium Ascorbate, Magnesium Phosphate, Potassium Citrate, Vitamin A Palmitate, Beta-Carotene, dl-Alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacinamide, Zinc Gluconate, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Manganese Gluconate, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Biotin, Chromium Chloride, Potassium Iodide, Phytonadione, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Cyanocobalamin), Cottonseed Fiber, Corn Maltodextrin, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium.

You need to get tested for allergies before assuming what the culprit might be.
Cas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #8  

hmm, that's weird. That must be another EAS because I just double checked and the second ingredient is soy protein isolate. I definitely need to get tested for my food allergies but since I've had two reactions to soy I'm avoiding it at all costs until then.
Thanks for all the input so far
Old 07-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #9  

I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm allergic to a lot of fruits, almonds and snow peas so I understand.

However, unless you eat no packaged, processed food at all, I highly doubt that soy was the culprit. Look at packages of stuff you eat everyday and you'll be amazed at what has soy in it. I say this only from having a friend with children allergic to soy. They can't eat fast food or pre-packaged food at all (a few things from the natural food section of the store). Everything has to be homemade because of soy being in so much stuff.

Now, could it be the AMOUNT of soy in the shake? Sure, but I wouldn't bet on it. Definitely get an allergen test.

Jenn
rabrog is offline   Reply With Quote