3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

What really makes us fat?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Foxxybrown
 
foxxybrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 83

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9.5"

Default What really makes us fat?

Hello all!

Just wanted to share some articles about what is making us fat...as we all know it is CARBS!!!! New research is backing this up and it's a good step forward to try to fight obesity.

Also I'm including an article about how you crave carbs on an empty stomach. Please comment and let me know your thoughts and opinions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/op...r=1&ref=health

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...empty-stomach/
__________________


For every 5 lbs lost

foxxybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Member
 
vovo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: seattle
Posts: 54

S/C/G: 185/171/145

Height: 5'4"

Default

This seems like a follow-up to an opinion article by Mark Bittman a few days ago [http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...h-diet-works/].
vovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
DanafromAustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 2,029

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxybrown View Post
Hello all!

Just wanted to share some articles about what is making us fat...as we all know it is CARBS!!!! New research is backing this up and it's a good step forward to try to fight obesity.

Also I'm including an article about how you crave carbs on an empty stomach. Please comment and let me know your thoughts and opinions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/01/op...r=1&ref=health

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...empty-stomach/
Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes is a must read for everyone. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Started IP 3/26/12
 
evepet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,767

Height: 5'5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes is a must read for everyone. Thanks for sharing.
ITA. Why We Get Fat is definitely a must read.

Yesterday I picked up a book by Jenny Ruhl, Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets.

"Bloodsugar101.com's Jenny Ruhl explains what peer reviewed research and the experience of Successful Low Carb Dieters can tell us about: * How Low Carb Diets Repair Unhealthy High Normal Blood Sugars * How Low Carb Diets Achieve Weight Loss * The Strengths and Weaknesses of the Diet as Revealed by Research * The Facts that Debunk Exaggerated Claims Pro and Anti Low Carb Di...more"

I'm enjoying her 'just the facts' approach. Very good so far.
__________________
I invite you to visit my blog at http://diettalktoday.com It's focus is on helping those who chose to use alternative products.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Foxxybrown
 
foxxybrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 83

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9.5"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vovo View Post
This seems like a follow-up to an opinion article by Mark Bittman a few days ago [http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...h-diet-works/].
Yes, it appears to be based on the same study. After doing this diet, it makes me wonder why others don't see that eating high carbs and low fat is not gonna help to lose weight easily...maybe if I was running a marathon, yes high carbs. Otherwise, I like that I'm dropping the weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes is a must read for everyone. Thanks for sharing.
I'll Check this out, Dana. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
ITA. Why We Get Fat is definitely a must read.

Yesterday I picked up a book by Jenny Ruhl, Diet 101: The Truth About Low Carb Diets.

"Bloodsugar101.com's Jenny Ruhl explains what peer reviewed research and the experience of Successful Low Carb Dieters can tell us about: * How Low Carb Diets Repair Unhealthy High Normal Blood Sugars * How Low Carb Diets Achieve Weight Loss * The Strengths and Weaknesses of the Diet as Revealed by Research * The Facts that Debunk Exaggerated Claims Pro and Anti Low Carb Di...more"

I'm enjoying her 'just the facts' approach. Very good so far.
Awesome! more great info!
__________________


For every 5 lbs lost

foxxybrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
mightbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 367

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes is a must read for everyone. Thanks for sharing.
I have heard this is good, I will check it out,thanks!
mightbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 115

Default

I'm reading it right now.There is a lot of the same language in the book that IP talks about regarding weight loss.
explore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did any one see "The Men Who Made Us Fat?" QueenOfSwords UK Fat Chicks 19 07-03-2012 09:47 AM
What made us fat...is it important to acknowledge kelly1962 Ideal Protein Diet 33 11-08-2011 07:00 PM
Having Friends Makes Us Gain?? Liliann 300+ Club 27 08-09-2007 11:23 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2