Old 12-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #1  
Started IP 9/20/2011

S/C/G: 230/180/125

Height: 5'2"

Default Does anyone count carbs?

Hi All,

I know this question has been asked but I have found conflicting answers in the stickys and the daily threads. I was hoping to get some of the experienced IPers to put in their two cents. I have been losing slowly and started using SparkPeople to track everything. I have been over 50g of carbs for the past three days and really can't find a definitive answer as to whether this is ok.

I definitely do not want to give up restricteds (I have a bar everyday at lunch) but maybe I could be making better veggie choices?

Would love any input!

Thank you!
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

I don't, I just follow what's on the sheet and journal what I eat. I tried to count carbs one day and stressed myself out. It stressed me out just like weighing everyday. So since I put the scale away...I also just put the calculator away.

Some people do though and love doing it.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Yep the people who develop and monitor the IP program do. I have no idea who they actually are but they put the info on the sheets for us so we don't have to figure anything out for ourselves.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

From what my coach told me, we are suppose to be somewhere between 20 to 30 carbs per day, although she doesn't recommend counting carbs unless one wants to. I don't sit each day and count my carbs either, but I do know that I'm usually closer to 20 than 30. I do find I tend to loose better when I am closer to 20 than 30 also. I eat a bar once a day with no problems. I also count net carbs subtracting for fiber and sugar alcohols.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #5  
Started IP 9/20/2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanafromAustin View Post
From what my coach told me, we are suppose to be somewhere between 20 to 30 carbs per day, although she doesn't recommend counting carbs unless one wants to. I don't sit each day and count my carbs either, but I do know that I'm usually closer to 20 than 30. I do find I tend to loose better when I am closer to 20 than 30 also. I eat a bar once a day with no problems. I also count net carbs subtracting for fiber and sugar alcohols.
Thanks Dana. Where I get confused is that just having a bar, a drink and a pudding everyday, I am already at 20g (and that's subtracting fiber).

I really appreciate your response and just want to make sure I'm getting the most from the diet. I have NEVER had an easy time loosing weight and I am grateful for EVERY single pound gone. But who wants to lose 1 pound a week when its possible to lose 3 or 4???
Old 12-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #6  
Started IP Aug 9/2011

S/C/G: 266/195

Height: 5' 7"

I don't count them but I do watch. I use an app on my phone that ties in with a website called MyFitnessPal that lists the nutritional value of the foods. I used it to log my food instead of the book. So it's been an educational piece for me as I learn more about the veggies, and meat that I eat. However I currently just use it to log. However my plan is on Phase IV to help to monitor the items I choose to eat using it.
Y Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #7  

If you count net carbs then even the bars aren't that bad. For example I have a box of the cinnamon bars that have 15g of carbs. However they also have 7g of sugars alcohol which then makes them 8g net carbs. Now that's not so bad.
Most days I have a bar, soup or RTD, and a pudding for my IP foods. Since I only count net carbs then really I'm only getting about 13 carbs per day plus whatever other foods I prepare myself which of course is another protein and some veggies.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #8  
Started IP 9/20/2011

Quote:
If you count net carbs then even the bars aren't that bad. For example I have a box of the cinnamon bars that have 15g of carbs. However they also have 7g of sugars alcohol which then makes them 8g net carbs. Now that's not so bad.
Most days I have a bar, soup or RTD, and a pudding for my IP foods. Since I only count net carbs then really I'm only getting about 13 carbs per day plus whatever other foods I prepare myself which of course is another protein and some veggies.
THANK YOU!! That helps tremendously!!! I was subtracting fiber but not sugar alcohols and it seems to really makes a difference. I'm going to try to stay close to 20 and see if it helps with my losses...
Old 12-11-2011, 05:53 AM   #9  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
If you count net carbs then even the bars aren't that bad.
Hi Dana, I enjoy reading your posts and really respect your approach to the program that's why I'm asking this question. When I first joined IP in June 2010 and in the months after we were told repeatedly that the IP program, unlike Atkins, does not count net carbs. That's the nature of my question. Has that policy changed? If so I guess that explains their introduction of so many new, higher carb products. But I haven't seen or heard anything about their change of policy. What have you learned?
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #10  
Start WW 360 Jan 31, 2013

S/C/G: (H255.5)s208.4/c198.2/g175

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Hi Dana, I enjoy reading your posts and really respect your approach to the program that's why I'm asking this question. When I first joined IP in June 2010 and in the months after we were told repeatedly that the IP program, unlike Atkins, does not count net carbs. That's the nature of my question. Has that policy changed? If so I guess that explains their introduction of so many new, higher carb products. But I haven't seen or heard anything about their change of policy. What have you learned?
Hi Linden, hope you don't mind me also replying to your question. I have been on phase 3 for 1 week now, and my coach gave me a book of sample foods and breakfasts she had made up for her clients from the meals she and her family had eaten when doing phase 3 and she uses the net carbs. They did phase 3 a year ago and followed this booklet. I have also purchased products at a sugar free store where the owner is also an IP coach and she told us to use net carbs and also if there is sugar alcohols they come off the carbs as well as the fibre to give net carbs.

I count my carbs now that I am in phase 3, but did not count while in I was in phase1 & 2, and I usually had a restricted everyday.
grannyto2bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #11  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011weightbegone View Post
Hi Linden, hope you don't mind me also replying to your question. I have been on phase 3 for 1 week now, and my coach gave me a book of sample foods and breakfasts she had made up for her clients from the meals she and her family had eaten when doing phase 3 and she uses the net carbs. They did phase 3 a year ago and followed this booklet. I have also purchased products at a sugar free store where the owner is also an IP coach and she told us to use net carbs and also if there is sugar alcohols they come off the carbs as well as the fibre to give net carbs.

I count my carbs now that I am in phase 3, but did not count while in I was in phase1 & 2, and I usually had a restricted everyday.
I don't mind at all; appreciate it. I just wonder why the news hasn't been broadcast. I'm pretty sure the no carb policy, at least when I started and for several months after, was in place. There were huge discussions back then and coaches chimed in. Once again, consistency sure would be nice.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #12  

Quote:
Thank you Linden, and I feel the same way when I read your posts. Looks like we are on the same page.

Honestly I don't know how IP looks at carbs, net or not. But since fiber and sugar alcohols don't negatively affect your blood sugar levels, I count just net carbs. I know that is the Atkins approach, but also a lot of other plans count carbs that way.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #13  

Quote:
I don't mind at all; appreciate it. I just wonder why the news hasn't been broadcast. I'm pretty sure the no carb policy, at least when I started and for several months after, was in place. There were huge discussions back then and coaches chimed in. Once again, consistency sure would be nice.
I agree consistency would be great as I am sure there will be other IP'ers that will reply that their coach says no to using the net carbs. It seems there are so many variations on how to follow the IP program depending on coaches and I don't understand why this is. I have a great coach, her and her family members had great success with the program and I have been following her advice all along in my weight loss, so I will continue to do this unless I see it isn't working. I have been on phase 3 for 1 week and counting the net carbs for breakfast and lost 1 pound this week. Will see how the next week goes.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #14  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011weightbegone View Post
I agree consistency would be great as I am sure there will be other IP'ers that will reply that their coach says no to using the net carbs. It seems there are so many variations on how to follow the IP program depending on coaches and I don't understand why this is. I have a great coach, her and her family members had great success with the program and I have been following her advice all along in my weight loss, so I will continue to do this unless I see it isn't working. I have been on phase 3 for 1 week and counting the net carbs for breakfast and lost 1 pound this week. Will see how the next week goes.
That's fantastic. And I wouldn't change a thing, you've done so well.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #15  

Quote:
That's fantastic. And I wouldn't change a thing, you've done so well.
Thanks Linden,