3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc > Ideal Protein Diet

Need tips on Business Travel while on Phase 1

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
Joined IP 6/11/12
 
ChileheadKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 90

S/C/G: 260/170/175

Height: 5'8"

Lightbulb Need tips on Business Travel while on Phase 1

I'm new on the IP plan and need some tips, advice, etc. on how to stay on plan while travelling for business or pleasure. I do a lot of business travel and i'm nervous about getting the right veggies, what food does well for travellers, etc. Also, I'm going on a mission trip to Mexico in July and am committed to staying on plan. But.....hard to get clean lettuce where I'm going and clean veggies, since they're both washed in tap water, normally.
Any advice? thanks much in advance!
ChileheadKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
Ideal Protein April 27/12
 
Longhorn Energy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta
Posts: 480

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Default

For me the bars and wildberry yogurt are lifesavers. Hotels have ice machines and with my shaker and some ice i run the shaker like im making martinis lol...

I try to stay where they have microwaves and make eggs for breakfast with a cup of mushrooms and a cup of spinach. This allows me to have a bar or soup or shake like the mango rtd for lunch without having to worry about veggies at lunch.

For bigger trips i have a portable kitchen lol...ya, im a loser...i went to Walmart and bought a single hotplate, a pot, spatula, utensils, etc. I carry this with a bunch of packets in a small carry on suitcase. It looks normal in a hotel, and while travelling. I only get rooms with a fridge and micro then at night hunt out the local grocery store, grab some mushrooms and spinach and good to go. My truck also has an inverter and in a pinch i can run the hotplate off the inverter. I carry a cooler in the truck and can easily manage a week on the road no issue. Restaurants handle the supper for me. I have now added a magic bullet to my travel kitchen. Need ice mid-day??? Pop into a truck stop and fill a huge glass with ice likely buying water anyway.

It can be done...but sorry i have no advice for mexico lol
__________________
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #3
Joined IP 6/11/12
 
ChileheadKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 90

S/C/G: 260/170/175

Height: 5'8"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Energy View Post
For me the bars and wildberry yogurt are lifesavers. Hotels have ice machines and with my shaker and some ice i run the shaker like im making martinis lol...

I try to stay where they have microwaves and make eggs for breakfast with a cup of mushrooms and a cup of spinach. This allows me to have a bar or soup or shake like the mango rtd for lunch without having to worry about veggies at lunch.

For bigger trips i have a portable kitchen lol...ya, im a loser...i went to Walmart and bought a single hotplate, a pot, spatula, utensils, etc. I carry this with a bunch of packets in a small carry on suitcase. It looks normal in a hotel, and while travelling. I only get rooms with a fridge and micro then at night hunt out the local grocery store, grab some mushrooms and spinach and good to go. My truck also has an inverter and in a pinch i can run the hotplate off the inverter. I carry a cooler in the truck and can easily manage a week on the road no issue. Restaurants handle the supper for me. I have now added a magic bullet to my travel kitchen. Need ice mid-day??? Pop into a truck stop and fill a huge glass with ice likely buying water anyway.

It can be done...but sorry i have no advice for mexico lol
Thanks, Longhorn. Great tips. I probably won't be carting a hotplate on a plane but when travelling in state I can book hotels with a stove. I stay at Marriotts mainly and several of their properties have kitchenettes. For the plane rides, guess it's bars, drinks, and puddings, and soups, if I can get a microwave. I'm on day 3 haven't drank this much water in forever!! haha
Have a good Thursday!
Ken
ChileheadKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Began IP 3-29-2012
 
usmcvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Barre, Vermont
Posts: 1,649

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Energy View Post
For me the bars and wildberry yogurt are lifesavers. Hotels have ice machines and with my shaker and some ice i run the shaker like im making martinis lol...

I try to stay where they have microwaves and make eggs for breakfast with a cup of mushrooms and a cup of spinach. This allows me to have a bar or soup or shake like the mango rtd for lunch without having to worry about veggies at lunch.

For bigger trips i have a portable kitchen lol...ya, im a loser...i went to Walmart and bought a single hotplate, a pot, spatula, utensils, etc. I carry this with a bunch of packets in a small carry on suitcase. It looks normal in a hotel, and while travelling. I only get rooms with a fridge and micro then at night hunt out the local grocery store, grab some mushrooms and spinach and good to go. My truck also has an inverter and in a pinch i can run the hotplate off the inverter. I carry a cooler in the truck and can easily manage a week on the road no issue. Restaurants handle the supper for me. I have now added a magic bullet to my travel kitchen. Need ice mid-day??? Pop into a truck stop and fill a huge glass with ice likely buying water anyway.

It can be done...but sorry i have no advice for mexico lol
You're not a looser longhorn. You are dedicated. Excellent advice. We just moved our PD and. No longer have a stove. I'm buying a hot plate.
__________________


"Feeling short term hunger pangs on a daily basis is NORMAL" -Wimpster

:dance r:

Once I hit goal "I'm Going to Disney!"
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Ideal Protein April 27/12
 
Longhorn Energy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta
Posts: 480

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
You're not a looser longhorn. You are dedicated. Excellent advice. We just moved our PD and. No longer have a stove. I'm buying a hot plate.
Awesome! My buds make fun of me, but i used to be 210 nights a year in a hotel. Hated when the shower was never as good as home so i also carry a wrench and my own showerhead when i travel lol
__________________
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Maintenance 12/01/11
 
jennydoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 985

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2"

Default

I traveled for work quite a bit when I was on P1. I would pack drink or pudding packets, bars, my shaker, salt, stevia, a plastic bowl, a plastic spoon and some straws.

I usually ended up following more P2 protocol because of eating with clients, etc... I never had problems with losing weight the weeks I did this. Granted, it may not have been as much, but I always had a loss. Here is what I did (once I was at my destination / hotel):

B: IP packet
L: usually in a restaurant- either a salad with some kind of protein or a piece of protein with a side of veggies and a small starter salad
S: IP packet or bar (most people will not question a snack bar if you start eating it in front of them. Busting out your shaker on the other hand, be prepared to tell your story)
D: same as lunch

I always brought drinks or puddings because they don't need to be heated, cooked etc... They are portable and easy. Plus, I usually ate my snack mid-afternoon because dinners tended to be late and go late. Sometimes I wouldn't get back to my room until 10-10:30.

If I was in the airport (and traveling alone) I would bust out my shaker and make a shake, but if I was with people, I just continued to follow the P2 protocol.

Even now in maintenance, I still follow a very similar routine when traveling. I always pack some packets, especially for breakfast, because there is not always a good option for that or if you are going into a early meeting and all they have is pastry. Of course, there is a little more flexibility now, but I still like to eat healthy and clean and don't want to eat junk.
__________________
Started maintenance on 12/01/11
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
Joined IP 6/11/12
 
ChileheadKen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 90

S/C/G: 260/170/175

Height: 5'8"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydoodle View Post
I traveled for work quite a bit when I was on P1. I would pack drink or pudding packets, bars, my shaker, salt, stevia, a plastic bowl, a plastic spoon and some straws.

I usually ended up following more P2 protocol because of eating with clients, etc... I never had problems with losing weight the weeks I did this. Granted, it may not have been as much, but I always had a loss. Here is what I did (once I was at my destination / hotel):

B: IP packet
L: usually in a restaurant- either a salad with some kind of protein or a piece of protein with a side of veggies and a small starter salad
S: IP packet or bar (most people will not question a snack bar if you start eating it in front of them. Busting out your shaker on the other hand, be prepared to tell your story)
D: same as lunch

I always brought drinks or puddings because they don't need to be heated, cooked etc... They are portable and easy. Plus, I usually ate my snack mid-afternoon because dinners tended to be late and go late. Sometimes I wouldn't get back to my room until 10-10:30.

If I was in the airport (and traveling alone) I would bust out my shaker and make a shake, but if I was with people, I just continued to follow the P2 protocol.

Even now in maintenance, I still follow a very similar routine when traveling. I always pack some packets, especially for breakfast, because there is not always a good option for that or if you are going into a early meeting and all they have is pastry. Of course, there is a little more flexibility now, but I still like to eat healthy and clean and don't want to eat junk.
Great tips!!! Thanks so much! I'm putting my food order in for next week and loading up on drinks, bars, puddings, and crispy cereal (I love the crispy cereal!! haha). I truly appreciate the help by all of you. And you look great, JennyDoodle!
ChileheadKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
Ideal Protein April 27/12
 
Longhorn Energy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Medicine Hat, Alberta
Posts: 480

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileheadKen View Post
Great tips!!! Thanks so much! I'm putting my food order in for next week and loading up on drinks, bars, puddings, and crispy cereal (I love the crispy cereal!! haha). I truly appreciate the help by all of you. And you look great, JennyDoodle!
Keep in mind your bars are restricted as are a few other things. I made the mistake my first week of having 2 a day....
__________________
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Member
 
redmomof4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 94

S/C/G: Pre 168.2/Pre IP 166/142/130

Height: 5'2.5" (us short people depend on the half inches!)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileheadKen View Post
Thanks, Longhorn. Great tips. I probably won't be carting a hotplate on a plane but when travelling in state I can book hotels with a stove. I stay at Marriotts mainly and several of their properties have kitchenettes. For the plane rides, guess it's bars, drinks, and puddings, and soups, if I can get a microwave. I'm on day 3 haven't drank this much water in forever!! haha
Have a good Thursday!
Ken
If you tell the flight attendant that you have special dietary needs, they will heat something up in the microwave for you.
S
__________________


Officially started IP 5/18/12 (my 16th anniversary!)
WI#1 -3.2 WI#2 -3.2 WI#3 -3.8 WI#4 -1.8 WI#5 -2 WI#6 -3.8 WI#7 missed WI#8 -4 WI#9 -2 weeks 10-11 vacation WI#12 -0 WI#13 -1 WI#14 -2
redmomof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #10
Started IP 6/14/12
 
joysh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 676

S/C/G: 202.8/129/125

Height: 5'1"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmomof4 View Post
If you tell the flight attendant that you have special dietary needs, they will heat something up in the microwave for you.
S
I will also have to change my tradition of sitting by the window now that I am on IP....
joysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2