Old 06-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 226/195/175

Height: 5'9''

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoplease View Post
The Gardein stuff is both frozen and some products are next to the tofu.
I think if you go to their website you can look up which stores near you carry the product. Whole Foods has it frozen, in the case with the Quorn & similar products. I hope they have it in your area.
I just went to their website and I have definitely seen it.. in fact there is some in my freezer right now. lol I just didn't know the brand name. Its somewhat new in my area, i think.
darcrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 PM   #17  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcrista View Post
I just went to their website and I have definitely seen it.. in fact there is some in my freezer right now. lol I just didn't know the brand name. Its somewhat new in my area, i think.
That is too funny.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 249/209/140

Height: 5' 7"

darcrista - I wasn't referring to Tempeh, although that's a good source. I was referring to textured vegetable protein (or TVP). I've heard its good but don't have too much experience with it.
Bdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #19  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdmom View Post
darcrista - I wasn't referring to Tempeh, although that's a good source. I was referring to textured vegetable protein (or TVP). I've heard its good but don't have too much experience with it.
Ohhh i know what you are talking about. I have no clue how to make it.. i wish I did! But there are some vegetarian restaurants and a lot of Chinese restaurants in my city that have dishes made with TVP! I love that stuff! I found this link that has the nutritional info on TVP- http://www.livestrong.com/article/88...table-protein/

I didn't realize that it was dry and that you soak it. Maybe I will look for it at one of the natural food stores near me, or whole foods.

I bought some protein powder today at trader joe's. I don't really like the taste (chocolate flavored).. I wish I could add it to yogurt or something. Not a fan of milk and so I'm kind of afraid to try soy or almond milk.. maybe I should just try it.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 240/175/170

Height: 5 10

Quote:
Ohhh i know what you are talking about. I have no clue how to make it.. i wish I did! But there are some vegetarian restaurants and a lot of Chinese restaurants in my city that have dishes made with TVP! I love that stuff! I found this link that has the nutritional info on TVP- http://www.livestrong.com/article/88...table-protein/

I didn't realize that it was dry and that you soak it. Maybe I will look for it at one of the natural food stores near me, or whole foods.

I bought some protein powder today at trader joe's. I don't really like the taste (chocolate flavored).. I wish I could add it to yogurt or something. Not a fan of milk and so I'm kind of afraid to try soy or almond milk.. maybe I should just try it.
Hi there. I'm a veg too. Have been since I was a kid. Tempeh is not a great protein nutrition wise. It is good protein wise but higher in fat, carbs and calories than tofu, tvp etc. TVP can be purchased at some grocery stores. Here in Canada I get it at Nutter's the Bob Mills brand. It is prepared a lot like couscous. I put it in sauces, spice it up for "taco sala" minus the taco, add to salads - lots of good stuff. You could substitute it in most recipes as you would with tofu in place of meat/fish etc. I have been on IP since January and lost 65lbs. Started phase 2 this week. Since I eat soy based protein anyway my coaches encouraged me to add some cheese and full fat dressing or mayo to my noon meal. So far so good, lost another 2lbs in 1st week of phase 2 and feeling good/not hungry. A little worried about next phase - time will tell.

This vegetarian thread is great. We should keep it up!
Zartas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zartas View Post
Hi there. I'm a veg too. Have been since I was a kid. Tempeh is not a great protein nutrition wise. It is good protein wise but higher in fat, carbs and calories than tofu, tvp etc. TVP can be purchased at some grocery stores. Here in Canada I get it at Nutter's the Bob Mills brand. It is prepared a lot like couscous. I put it in sauces, spice it up for "taco sala" minus the taco, add to salads - lots of good stuff. You could substitute it in most recipes as you would with tofu in place of meat/fish etc. I have been on IP since January and lost 65lbs. Started phase 2 this week. Since I eat soy based protein anyway my coaches encouraged me to add some cheese and full fat dressing or mayo to my noon meal. So far so good, lost another 2lbs in 1st week of phase 2 and feeling good/not hungry. A little worried about next phase - time will tell.

This vegetarian thread is great. We should keep it up!
Wow!! Congrats on your success! And thanks for the info regarding TVP, tempeh, etc. It is great to know that vegetarians can benefit from this diet as well. Just curious, when you first started, did you need an extra source of protein? If you think of any more tips or have any words of wisdom for the veg IP newbies, please post. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 249/209/140

Height: 5' 7"

darcrista, Thanks for website re: TVP! How does it compare to lean meats as a protein source? I see that it does better with no bad fat, but am worried that do get 12g of protein, you get 7g carbs. Doesn't that sound too high? To meet the 40g of protein at dinner, we would get roughly 21g (or mroe) of carbs.

Zartas - congrats on your weight loss!!! Great job. Can you give us some sample daily plans that you followed? And, I agree - great thread. We should keep it up!
Bdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdmom View Post
darcrista, Thanks for website re: TVP! How does it compare to lean meats as a protein source? I see that it does better with no bad fat, but am worried that do get 12g of protein, you get 7g carbs. Doesn't that sound too high? To meet the 40g of protein at dinner, we would get roughly 21g (or mroe) of carbs.

Zartas - congrats on your weight loss!!! Great job. Can you give us some sample daily plans that you followed? And, I agree - great thread. We should keep it up!
Sorry, just now seeing this! I am not sure if it is too high.. possibly.. I would definitely not eat a restricted item on days when you eat TVP.

Wanted to update you all on a new (well new for me) product i have found called: Lightlife- Backyard Grill'n Burgers. 9 grams of fat, 7 carbs and 20 grams of protein. This is one of the highest I have found around me. They taste very much like I remember real burgers tasting.. which is a little weird. I actually checked the package again to make sure they were veg. But they are pretty good.

Also was surprised to find out that morningstar garden vegetable patties have 18 grams of protein, 5 of fat, a bit more carbs, 10 grams.

Was also surprised to see that
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #24  

Quote:
Sorry, just now seeing this! I am not sure if it is too high.. possibly.. I would definitely not eat a restricted item on days when you eat TVP.

Wanted to update you all on a new (well new for me) product i have found called: Lightlife- Backyard Grill'n Burgers. 9 grams of fat, 7 carbs and 20 grams of protein. This is one of the highest I have found around me. They taste very much like I remember real burgers tasting.. which is a little weird. I actually checked the package again to make sure they were veg. But they are pretty good.

Also was surprised to find out that morningstar garden vegetable patties have 18 grams of protein, 5 of fat, a bit more carbs, 10 grams.

Was also surprised to see that
Those sound like great products to look for. For a Phase 1 dinner, it would take two, which puts the Backyard Grill'n Burger in a fairly good position, but maybe don't do a restricted that day (14g Carbs for two) or have 1 and a half, which puts the protein at 30g, which is fairly close. The Morningstar one I would have with something lower carb, maybe 3 egg whites.

Also, looks like the "formula" for the Gardein Scaloppini has been "improved". Now the rub has sugar listed as an ingredient but not enough to register in the nutrient list. They also doubled the fat so the calories are up a bit, too.
Gardein is having a contest and also has a coupon on their website, for those that like the products.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 240/175/170

Height: 5 10

Quote:
Those sound like great products to look for. For a Phase 1 dinner, it would take two, which puts the Backyard Grill'n Burger in a fairly good position, but maybe don't do a restricted that day (14g Carbs for two) or have 1 and a half, which puts the protein at 30g, which is fairly close. The Morningstar one I would have with something lower carb, maybe 3 egg whites.

Also, looks like the "formula" for the Gardein Scaloppini has been "improved". Now the rub has sugar listed as an ingredient but not enough to register in the nutrient list. They also doubled the fat so the calories are up a bit, too.
Gardein is having a contest and also has a coupon on their website, for those that like the products.
I enjoy the gardien products too. Here in Canada we can get a "chicken" breast. It is 160cal, 5 fat, 6 carb, 23 protein. They are quite good on the BBQ or "fried. Just sauté with evoo. Yves, also makes soooo many products veg dogs, burgers, deli slice, ground round, ground chick n', bacon, sausage etc. the carbs probably higher than meat, but I never worried about this. I always just had one serving for supper. Never worried about extra protein. Only in the first week did I have an extra pack once in a while. I am increasing my exercise starting this week, so will add a bar, or something on the way to workout.
Zartas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zartas View Post
I enjoy the gardien products too. Here in Canada we can get a "chicken" breast. It is 160cal, 5 fat, 6 carb, 23 protein. They are quite good on the BBQ or "fried. Just sauté with evoo. Yves, also makes soooo many products veg dogs, burgers, deli slice, ground round, ground chick n', bacon, sausage etc. the carbs probably higher than meat, but I never worried about this. I always just had one serving for supper. Never worried about extra protein. Only in the first week did I have an extra pack once in a while. I am increasing my exercise starting this week, so will add a bar, or something on the way to workout.
Is the "chicken" breast one in the freezer or the refrigerator section? We have some in the refrigerator section but I'm not really a fan of the sauce they put on those, usually. At least not the ones that the local stores are currently carrying.

Do you think/know if you lost a lot of lean mass (more than 12 lbs)? I am really curious if it helped to have the extra protein. I did not do it for the first 12 to 16 weeks and lost about 10 lbs of lean mass during weeks 1 to 18 compared to 1 lb during weeks 19 thru 33.

Working out on Phase 1 (beyond a nice walk) has been a very interesting experience over the past two weeks. You might also want to take your salt with you, depending on how intensely you plan to work out. Any activity at fat burning level (bike, treadmill, rowing, elliptical, zumba) feels really good. Anything beyond that takes a little experimenting around what to eat and when.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #27  

I need to find this Gardein Scaloppini! Sounds yummy!
What do you all think about fat free greek yogurt? in one cup there is 9 carbs, 22 grams of protein, and like 130 or something calories. I hope it is ok.. because I ate it for dinner last night. Chopped up some fresh dill and added a little garlic and salt and then dipped sliced veggies in it. It was delicious.. but I'm not sure if it is allowed. I think my coach would allow it, since I am a vegetarian and the diet is a little bit different, i think, for vegetarians.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:25 AM   #28  

*bump*
blkbmr06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:53 AM   #29  

Quote:
I need to find this Gardein Scaloppini! Sounds yummy!
What do you all think about fat free greek yogurt? in one cup there is 9 carbs, 22 grams of protein, and like 130 or something calories. I hope it is ok.. because I ate it for dinner last night. Chopped up some fresh dill and added a little garlic and salt and then dipped sliced veggies in it. It was delicious.. but I'm not sure if it is allowed. I think my coach would allow it, since I am a vegetarian and the diet is a little bit different, i think, for vegetarians.
I've got some of the Fage Fat Free Greek Yogurt in the fridge (husband eats it).
It says that the 9 carbs are all sugars (9g of sugars). Compare that to IP chocolate soy puffs, which have 8g of sugars. Although my coach has never suggested I could use that (and I have actually had cravings for the stuff!), you might consider not having a restricted on a day that you have it, plus perhaps supplementing it with a whole egg, to add a little protein and fat.

I have always found it interesting that many of the IP products contain milk and whey protein, yet no yogurt, cottage cheese or hard cheese are part of the protein list. I'm not going to mess with them this close to the end, but am looking forward to having those protein sources in Phases 3 and 4.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #30  

Quote:
I've got some of the Fage Fat Free Greek Yogurt in the fridge (husband eats it).
It says that the 9 carbs are all sugars (9g of sugars). Compare that to IP chocolate soy puffs, which have 8g of sugars. Although my coach has never suggested I could use that (and I have actually had cravings for the stuff!), you might consider not having a restricted on a day that you have it, plus perhaps supplementing it with a whole egg, to add a little protein and fat.

I have always found it interesting that many of the IP products contain milk and whey protein, yet no yogurt, cottage cheese or hard cheese are part of the protein list. I'm not going to mess with them this close to the end, but am looking forward to having those protein sources in Phases 3 and 4.
Solid advice, infoplease. Thanks! I might talk to the owner of the clinic I go to as she is much more informed about IP than my coach. Also curious as to why those items are not allowed. I'll relay any info I get from her.