3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Just wondering...low carb beers??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/259522-just-wondering-low-carb-beers.html)

swerdna59 05-21-2012 09:09 PM

Just wondering...low carb beers???

I have a friend who does lo-carb and hi-protein on her own and has told me about Michelob Ultra Light beer...very few carbs and less than 100 calories I think...don't have the exact information with me right now. Would this be an okay thing to have every once in awhile instead of a snack? Just thinking it would be a fun treat on a hot summer day or is this a huge No-No on IP?

JellyMae87 05-21-2012 09:12 PM

It's not on protocol... and even if you tried to use it as your snack you will put yourself and a greater risk of NOT losing anything. because you need the protein..

SaraBean 05-21-2012 09:20 PM

Big no-no and not worth it :)

JellyMae is right- you need the protein in the snacks... and this diet works by following the protocol exactly.

swerdna59 05-21-2012 09:21 PM

I think it would be a good choice if I decided to have a beer even though it isn't OP...right now going to have a totally OP snack though...I would rather eat my calories anyway...LOL!

Stefany1769 05-21-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swerdna59 (Post 4341869)
I think it would be a good choice if I decided to have a beer even though it isn't OP...right now going to have a totally OP snack though...I would rather eat my calories anyway...LOL!

I'm no expert but I thought I saw a post about this a while back. Your pancreas stops breaking down the fat and focuses on breaking down the alcohol. Remember if you do you will need to replace that water content, just like with caffiene.

Ishbel 05-21-2012 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefany1769 (Post 4341876)
I'm no expert but I thought I saw a post about this a while back. Your pancreas stops breaking down the fat and focuses on breaking down the alcohol. Remember if you do you will need to replace that water content, just like with caffiene.

This is kinda right ;). It's your liver that is processing the fat for energy so when you drink your liver stops doing this and processes the alcohol first. You MAY not gain but you'll slow down the fat burning process. Not worth it in my humble opinion....this diet is hard enough without putting more obstacles in my way.

Also, here's something to think about...

****brewing was actually used to make bread. It's main sugar is maltose, a disaccharide composed of two molecules of glucose. Table sugar is sucrose another disaccharide composed of a molecule of glucose and a molecule of fructose (a fruit sugar or slow sugar). Maltose is a double Sammy. It's one of the highest glycemic sugars and will really make make your insulin spike.

**taken from my Phase 4 info...

Not worth it, IP isn't just about carbs its about no sugar. Beer is not a good choice, even low carb...

Good luck!

Darralyn 05-21-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swerdna59 (Post 4341845)
I have a friend who does lo-carb and hi-protein on her own and has told me about Michelob Ultra Light beer...very few carbs and less than 100 calories I think...don't have the exact information with me right now. Would this be an okay thing to have every once in awhile instead of a snack? Just thinking it would be a fun treat on a hot summer day or is this a huge No-No on IP?

I don't think it would fly....it's not on protocol. They say no alcohol..:dizzy:

Stefany1769 05-21-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ishbel (Post 4341898)
This is kinda right ;). It's your liver that is processing the fat for energy so when you drink your liver stops doing this and processes the alcohol first. You MAY not gain but you'll slow down the fat burning process. Not worth it in my humble opinion....this diet is hard enough without putting more obstacles in my way.

Also, here's something to think about...

****brewing was actually used to make bread. It's main sugar is maltose, a disaccharide composed of two molecules of glucose. Table sugar is sucrose another disaccharide composed of a molecule of glucose and a molecule of fructose (a fruit sugar or slow sugar). Maltose is a double Sammy. It's one of the highest glycemic sugars and will really make make your insulin spike.

**taken from my Phase 4 info...

Not worth it, IP isn't just about carbs its about no sugar. Beer is not a good choice, even low carb...

Good luck!

Thank you for jumping in and explaining that wayyyy better than I could, I was hoping someone would jump in and explain about it not just being about carbs. :)

IPdivajen 05-21-2012 09:59 PM

Yeah, I asked my coach about this this weekend. There's a product in Canada called Molson 67 - one beer has 67 calories and only 2g of carbs. When asked she said the maltose was the bigger deal - that it was a double hit to the pancreas - and that one was likely to make me crave more. She said that if I had to have some, that I should share it with someone and have no more than half.

So I gave it a try. I had just over half, and while it tasted really good, it made me so sleepy! And it's only 3% alcohol! I used to enjoy more than one beer in my summers so this was a big shock to me. But now I know what to expect and was glad that I tried it. But likely won't feel the need to do it again.

swerdna59 05-21-2012 10:02 PM

Great information! I was mainly curious about it and I do understand that is is not on the protocol.

Baracuda 05-23-2012 02:06 AM

My coach told me that alcohol like red wine is healthy enough carb and calorie wise, but it will make you sick because its too taxing on your liver while it is trying to deal with all the fat your burning. I never tried it, maybe if you have a little if wouldn't have much effect. Just to be safe I stay away until I reach my goal.