Old 02-26-2012, 06:45 PM   #1  
Starting again 6/9/13

S/C/G: (S)180/(C)171/(G)155

Height: 5'8"

Default Good ideas for being patient while on IP?

Hello everyone! It's been very helpful to be able to read all of your posts and learn more about your experiences on IP.

I'm currently on day 5 and my first WI will be on Wednesday. I'm having a VERY hard time being patient for the weight loss process. I read all of the postings and it gives me a lot of hope for my future. I see all of your success and I can't help but wish that I could fast forward my life to the 6 week mark to see where I will be.

I'm staying OP 100% and fully committed to the program. Would those of you that have experienced the same feeling of impatience be able to share some of your thoughts, ideas and words of wisdom to getting through this beginning period?

Anything you can share is GREATLY appreciated! God bless!
UNDHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: s176.5/c160/g130

Height: 5'3

Default hey

I'm only on day 2 and I totally know where you are coming from
fluffernutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 258/158/140

Height: 5'5"

Impatience is an emotion just like jealousy, happiness or restlessness. As an overweight person there is a strong chance that rather than dealing with your emotions you eat through them. Stop and think about what you are feeling and let that emotion roll over you. Do you really want to speed away today so you can see tomorrow? What important events might you miss? Loosing weight and then maintaining the weight loss is really more of a lifestyle, not a destination. Enjoy the ride. Make it your journey. Find something to look forward to today.
Thats all I got. I would love to have my weight magically disappear and not have to diet to get there but that hasn't happened yet so I am willing to take the time, eat less and find other things to enjoy in my life besides eating.
This website helps a lot. Don't be afraid to use it. Loads of good people on here willing and able to help motivate you.
salmongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #4  
Starting again 6/9/13

Default Thanks!

So glad to know that I'm not the only one feeling ansy!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #5  
Starting again 6/9/13

Default Great points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmongirl View Post
Impatience is an emotion just like jealousy, happiness or restlessness. As an overweight person there is a strong chance that rather than dealing with your emotions you eat through them. Stop and think about what you are feeling and let that emotion roll over you. Do you really want to speed away today so you can see tomorrow? What important events might you miss? Loosing weight and then maintaining the weight loss is really more of a lifestyle, not a destination. Enjoy the ride. Make it your journey. Find something to look forward to today.
Thats all I got. I would love to have my weight magically disappear and not have to diet to get there but that hasn't happened yet so I am willing to take the time, eat less and find other things to enjoy in my life besides eating.
This website helps a lot. Don't be afraid to use it. Loads of good people on here willing and able to help motivate you.
Thank you so much!! I hadn't thought about the emotion of it...in the past 5 days I have realized that I have bad habits (mostly related to needless and mindless snacking) that I am working through.

I've also thought about journaling through the process - I'm sure that more "ah ha" moments will come from that. I think that because this is all so new I'm thinking about it more than usual, which is time well spent for my future health.

Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to wish time away - every day is a gift from God and I'm thankful for it.

I know that I will use this site a lot for ideas and support. Thank you again for taking the time to reach out.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 167/135/120

Height: 5' 3"

Hot bubble baths, searching on line for the cute clothes I want to buy when I make it to goal, watching a movie, a cup of tea, a massage, doing a craft or journaling, reading a good book, calling a trusted friend, yoga for relaxation, and reading, reading, reading the boards, all helped me through. Now, I look back and think, wow, that wasn't bad at all!
Survalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:53 PM   #7  
Starting again 6/9/13

Default Exactly what I was looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survalia View Post
Hot bubble baths, searching on line for the cute clothes I want to buy when I make it to goal, watching a movie, a cup of tea, a massage, doing a craft or journaling, reading a good book, calling a trusted friend, yoga for relaxation, and reading, reading, reading the boards, all helped me through. Now, I look back and think, wow, that wasn't bad at all!
Great ideas!! Thank you!!
Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/188/140

just checking ticker
Newchapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Get busy doing something else! Start a major, all-consuming project. We started IP just about the same time we closed on a new house. So the first month of IP we were fixing up the new house then we were busy moving and settling in. It was the PERFECT time to do IP because we weren't obsessed with weight loss and IP meals are so convenient. Maybe there's a big home improvement project you've been wanting to do? Classes you want to take? A side job to make some extra money? Seriously, something to GET BUSY and take your mind off dieting. You'll be skinny before you know it!
bigpassport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:34 PM   #10  
Starting again 6/9/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpassport View Post
Get busy doing something else! Start a major, all-consuming project. We started IP just about the same time we closed on a new house. So the first month of IP we were fixing up the new house then we were busy moving and settling in. It was the PERFECT time to do IP because we weren't obsessed with weight loss and IP meals are so convenient. Maybe there's a big home improvement project you've been wanting to do? Classes you want to take? A side job to make some extra money? Seriously, something to GET BUSY and take your mind off dieting. You'll be skinny before you know it!
LOVE IT! I think that you're right - obsessed is hitting the nail on the head. My husband keeps asking me what I'm doing on the computer and when I tell him I'm reading the boards he just smiles and shakes his head. I'm glad that tomorrow I'm headed back to work! I've got plenty to keep my mind on there!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I'm 3 pounds from goal and still impatient.
I use some time to plan ahead as to how I am going to transition to "real" life.
So I spend a good chunk of time today going through all the pages of FinnSteven's recipe thread and put all the things I will use when I am in maintenance in a small notebook. The thing is to focus on things you really like in the program.

Last edited by patns; 02-26-2012 at 09:13 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

I'm only day 5 as well but I know how you're feeling- it's part impatient, part excitement, part fear mixed in with all kinds of emotions. I've found this site an enormous help and this was an 'ah-ha' moment when I read this "you didnt put on the weight over night- don't expect to take it off over night". I think being patient and enjoying the journey and dealing with all the emotions involved will help in long term success.
Journey36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #13  
Starting again 6/9/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey36 View Post
I'm only day 5 as well but I know how you're feeling- it's part impatient, part excitement, part fear mixed in with all kinds of emotions. I've found this site an enormous help and this was an 'ah-ha' moment when I read this "you didnt put on the weight over night- don't expect to take it off over night". I think being patient and enjoying the journey and dealing with all the emotions involved will help in long term success.
Great thoughts! Here we go girlfriend...tomorrow is Day 6...let's rock it!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #14  
Starting again 6/9/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I'm 3 pounds from goal and still impatient.
I use some time to plan ahead as to how I am going to transition to "real" life.
So I spend a good chunk of time today going through all the pages of FinnSteven's recipe thread and put all the things I will use when I am in maintenance in a small notebook. The thing is to focus on things you really like in the program.
Congrats on being on the finish line of the final stretch!!!

I was reading ahead and I can see that the last phase is going to take the most work...it's good that you're getting a jump on it! Planning is the key to success!

Again congrats! I can't wait to feel as good as you do!!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #15  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

My son says I am addicted to this site because I am always on it....lol....he is on his own car forum and I used to tell him he was obsessed because he was always on it. He said MOM I think you are worse than I am now....lol...I said I am learning he said I know I KNOW.....lol... distractions are the best things that keep me going. I can read here for hours on in sometimes. The last 10 months (43 weeks) have FLEW by. I live by weeks now not months, I live Wednesday to Wednesday cuz that is my WI day. It probably the ONLY thing I look forward too, it keeps me going.
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote