Old 05-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #1  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Question Confusion regarding Dr. Trans book..and IP guidelines.

Okay, so after some thought..i actually read through the online PDF book by Dr. Tran. It was very insightful..However..im finding a few discrepencies between the book he wrote and the program...

For example: He states in his book that vegetables are unlimited. He doesnt limit veggies to 4 cups..he gives them no limit..so then where are we getting this 4 cups a day rule? if he says its unlimited.

Second: He mentions broccoli and cauliflour as a "select" veggie..as in one you should not consume on a regluar basis. They are considered more restricted... so then why does it say on the sheet you can eat it often?

Also..it says in his book that turnips should not be eaten..so then why are we allowing ourselves the ability to eat turnips occasionally when he says they are not allowed to be consumed?

Are we following the book or the ip sheet? Cause i thought we were supposed to be following the guy who wrote the book?

I would just like to know why those things arent accurate to the sheet is all...and which one is right to follow.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #2  

Thanks for the information that there is a downloadable free book online. I am an information JUNKIE -- you have just provided me with an evening's (or weekend?) entertainment. I can't wait to get started! : )

I think that you pose some great questions. I personally plan to stick with the current IP guidelines. I have a friend who did IP a couple or three years ago, and the protocol has changed since she originally did Phase I. For example, three years ago, she could not have any bell pepper other than green. Today's protocol does not restrict us to green bell pepper, but allows also red and orange bell pepper. Another example -- her original protocol allowed cooked onions, but today's protocol recommends no cooked onions.

And my friend's original food packets were not as tasty as they are now -- at her description. I wonder if the nutritional facts have changed, thus necessitating the change in the vegetable amounts.

I actually find it admirable that the program has been tweaked over time. The original protocol was for Olympic athletes, and most of the current program participants are not Olympic athletes, and as such, the program should be adapted to the majority of the participants as it continues to evolve.

Last edited by xfitforlife; 05-25-2012 at 08:29 PM.
xfitforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: High-258/224.5/135

Height: 5' 4"

The IP protocol is based on his diet, but is not the same as his book. Not sure why. Follow the sheet exactly and you will do great. All the work of carb/fat/protien ratios is already done, so all you have to do is reference the sheet and you will have success. I have read the PDF and it was a good reference, but I , too, noticed the differences. Some vaggies have a higher glycemic index (more sugar) than others, therefore the restriction. Hope this helps.

Last edited by JoesHotWife; 05-25-2012 at 08:36 PM.
JoesHotWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:30 PM   #4  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Hello everyone,

Since I am not a newbie anymore, and I've been on this site for quite some time now, I learned a lot since I first started, and yes, like you, I was confused when I read the book because of lots of differences from the book and the protocol, then I learned that the Protocol, is a science by itself and that since it first started, many changes took place, so to my understanding, they keep on improving the protocol again and again and see what works. A small example is that when I first started, the IP sheet used to say 5-7 oz of meat for supper, and now I believe it is 8 oz! Also, now egg white are unlimited (I think, not sure, but I believe so).

Don't worry about the book, just take the general info from it, but focus on following the IP protocol as it is on the IP sheet.
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:58 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

It evolves based on their research as more and more people follow the program and they track what is happening with them. It would be more worrisome if the program stayed the same year after year.
Weght Watchers changes all the time and people don't freak over it, they expect them to keep making changes and watch what works best.

Last edited by patns; 05-26-2012 at 12:10 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:57 AM   #6  
Ideal Protein April 27/12

S/C/G: 215 / Ticker / 165

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
It evolves based on their research as more and more people follow the program and they track what is happening with them. It would be more worrisome if the program stayed the same year after year.
Weght Watchers changes all the time and people don't freak over it, they expect them to keep making cahanges and watch what works best.
Great answer...also note the book was written in 2000, and Im pretty sure the Doc didnt just sit around waiting for royalty cheques to roll in, his research continues, so the plan evolves.

In answer to Port...FOLLOW THE PLAN....I had you repeating this just yesterday....what happened???
Longhorn Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 213/170/170

Height: 5' 6"

One thing that I loved about Phase 1 of IP was the simplicity of it all. I didn't have to figure out how many carbs, fat grams, etc. that I was eating. I knew that I could expect to lose pounds much quicker on IP than on any other diet that I had done, while at the same time getting all of the crap out of my system and learning to live without constant diet drinks, sugar, carbs, etc. So I would embrace the simplicity, and let the plan work for you. Because it will work.
amyjaelou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyjaelou View Post
One thing that I loved about Phase 1 of IP was the simplicity of it all. I didn't have to figure out how many carbs, fat grams, etc. that I was eating. I knew that I could expect to lose pounds much quicker on IP than on any other diet that I had done, while at the same time getting all of the crap out of my system and learning to live without constant diet drinks, sugar, carbs, etc. So I would embrace the simplicity, and let the plan work for you. Because it will work.
Exactly, what's not to love especially when the energy level picks up so much once you are not feeding your body that garbage???
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:24 PM   #9  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

yah i wish i did patns...but for some reason the past 7 days have been cruel...ive actually been exhausted and fatigued and really super emotional which makes no sense. Even my husband has thought my moods have been really down lately...which isnt normal..have i really become that dependent on sugar that it actually affects me to the point where when i dont eat it, i feel instantly depressed? Because i swear the moment i eat a carb..even if its just a veggie..i feel instantly happier.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: High-258/224.5/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porthardygurl View Post
yah i wish i did patns...but for some reason the past 7 days have been cruel...ive actually been exhausted and fatigued and really super emotional which makes no sense. Even my husband has thought my moods have been really down lately...which isnt normal..have i really become that dependent on sugar that it actually affects me to the point where when i dont eat it, i feel instantly depressed? Because i swear the moment i eat a carb..even if its just a veggie..i feel instantly happier.
Remember, too, that fat has female hormones (acts like them). I had a melt down over IP with my coach about week 2. Not normal for me, but much better once everything settled into place. Sugar is as much a drug as anything else and is quite addictive. It follows that the withdrawls from it would be similar, too. Hang in there, this, too, shall pass and you will be healthier and happier for having pressed thru it. I know I am! Just know IT GETS BETTER!
JoesHotWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Dr. Tran wrote/invented the 'protein diet' several years ago, and IP uses his logic, but he is not IP itself. His book is also outdated, but my coach told me he is coming out with a more current version. Not sure when.

At any rate, IP and other protein based diets use his data, research and logic to create their program, but they are not one and the same. His book was helpful to get this ketosis and pancreas business drummed into my brain...

So don't pay attention to the specifics in his book, just go with what IP tells us, and even that changes, as we know...
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 227.4/187/159

Height: 5'5"

I wasted $ on that book, its way out of date.
ProteinGal is offline   Reply With Quote