Old 06-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Unhappy Hypoglycemia question

Hey everyone, I have a question about this diet and hypoglycemia. I searched the forums but only had a few folks mention it so far.

My hubby is doing the protocol with me using alternatives, but he's having a hard time with his sugar levels, especially in the morning. This is the end of his first week. He normally has a drink in the morning, his snack a few hours later, then a higher carb lunch (like chili) with veggies, and then we have an OP dinner together. Can anyone advise a way to help him through the sugar cravings, headache, and slightly "weird" feeling that he is having since he's coming off of the sugar?

He is very happy with the results that I am getting and wants to stay OP for a while, but this is really getting to him. Thanks in advance for any help out there!!
sprite613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4"

Is your husband a type 1 or 2 diabetic?
(DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A DOCTOR)
Perhaps he should be following the Alternative Protocol using alternatives.
It is found in the stickies.
The difference is that it adds one item for three groups: fruits, starches and dairy, once per day (example: bread at breakfast, berries at lunch, yoghurt with dinner) in specified quantities.

It is a few more carbs, of course, but he will still do well and perhaps feel better.

If you are not referring to tested sugar levels, and just light headedness that mimics low blood sugar, then you could try the "salt trick" where you sprinkle some sea salt on your hand, lick it off and follow with water.
infoplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 187/?/145

Height: 5'8"

I've been reading a lot about reactive hypoglycemia. Your husband is doing the best possible thing by going on a low carb diet. The first 7- 10 days will be the worst part- it's a bit smoother sailing after that. Make sure he eats no more than 2.5 hours apart. Consider splitting the lunch veggies into a mid afternoon snack (peppers, cauliflower, broccoli- veggies that can be eaten raw with WF if that's his preference). And even splitting the snack into two so that half is taken midmorning and half mid afternoon. It's all about balancing the blood sugars at all times- most important thing is don't go too long without eating. Another thing that really helps is magnesium. Peter Gilham's CALM tastes great, helps to relieve anxiousness/ shakiness and has the added benefit of keeping you regular . Good luck... It is hard, but so worth it...

Last edited by capricious; 06-01-2012 at 07:30 PM.
capricious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #4  

Thank you very much you two for replying and helping us out. I have spoken with him about it and he will try to regulate his meals a little better. He is not diabetic so he doesn't test or anything, he just has to maintain a good level at all times or he gets the headache and all the other bad stuff.

Thank again and good luck in your journey as well!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #5  
ND girl

Height: 5'6

Remember if your husband weight is more than 20 lbs over 200 he needs to be having 4 proteins plus the 8oz of meat each day. That may help keep him on a more even level in addition to protecting his lean muscle mass.
redhead14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

The only thing I can tell you is both my daughter and I suffered from hypoglycemia, and that problem has basically gone away for both of us since starting IP. I will say the first 3 to 4 days was particularly nasty for me with the sugar withdrawal, but have never felt better now and I've been on IP since last Sept.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #7  

Thanks for the tip redhead. I hadn't seen that about the extra packet anywhere and I will have him try that if the symptoms continue. He's at 223 right now so right on the border of needing another packet and not. I will have him try it this week and see if it effects his loss or not.

Thanks for the encouragement Dana! He's trying to push through it and his first week success is driving him to stay OP. We're hoping this diet will help him to regulate his system without resorting to candy or any other junk on occassion when he doesn't feel well.