3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Ideal Protein Diet (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/)
-   -   Diet Friendly Restaurants? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/258359-diet-friendly-restaurants.html)

sneuse 05-04-2012 10:32 AM

Diet Friendly Restaurants?

Hey guys! I've been on the program about 3 1/2 weeks and am down 8.5 pounds (wish it was more but what can you do...)

I'm having to go out with a friend tonight (I've been putting it off and they've finally put their foot down!) and don't really know of any diet friendly restaurants. I'm thinking chains mostly because I don't expect all of you to know the best places in Austin, TX!

I know I can always get a burger without cheese, a bun, and sauces but I'm worried that they'll use a type of oil or even butter to cook it and it'll set me back on my weigh in this week.

I've heard Texas Land and Cattle is good, but it can be a little pricey for me.

Anyone have thoughts or advice?

CassiR 05-04-2012 10:34 AM

There is a thread for this. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-guide-ip.html

Check the stickies for other helpful threads :)

hyrysk 05-04-2012 12:05 PM

Austin is an easy place to eat out in. Any steak house will work. DW and I go to Texas Roadhouse almost every week for our "Date night". Steak, Salad with no cheese and Oil and vinager dressing(or take your own) and a veggie with no butter. Logan's, Chili's even TGIFriday's can work. If you go to a Mexican resturant. (we like Dario's or Texican) get the 3 Fajita tacos with no cheese and dump the contents out and eat it like a salad. (this way you get more protien) use the salsa as a dressing. Usually fresh salsa does not have any sugar in it.

The more you go out the easier it gets.

sneuse 05-04-2012 12:32 PM

CassiR - Thanks! I'm new to the forum so I'm having a hard time remembering to go searching for answers before I post! I'll be sure to look next time :)

hyrysk - Awesome! I'm just so paranoid about messing up that I get nervous they'll use butter even if I ask them not to or will use Canola oil instead of Olive.... my coach said a little extra fat won't kill me, but I'm determined to get this weight off as quick as possible!

DanafromAustin 05-04-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sneuse (Post 4320539)
Hey guys! I've been on the program about 3 1/2 weeks and am down 8.5 pounds (wish it was more but what can you do...)

I'm having to go out with a friend tonight (I've been putting it off and they've finally put their foot down!) and don't really know of any diet friendly restaurants. I'm thinking chains mostly because I don't expect all of you to know the best places in Austin, TX!

I know I can always get a burger without cheese, a bun, and sauces but I'm worried that they'll use a type of oil or even butter to cook it and it'll set me back on my weigh in this week.

I've heard Texas Land and Cattle is good, but it can be a little pricey for me.

Anyone have thoughts or advice?

I live in Austin too, and have found some great places. Chains are generally the easiest, such as Texas Land and Cattle, Applebees, Cheddars, Mimis, BJ's and Red Robbin to name a few chains. However you know we like going local here in town, so my favorite is 24 Diner across from Whole Foods on 6th and Lamar. They make a real tasty roasted chicken dinner. I just have them leave off the mashed potatoes and ask for extra veggies instead. There is also just about any BBQ place, our favorite is the Rudy's near the Barton Creek mall. You will have to get veggies when you get back home, but their lean brisket, chicken or turkey are always good.

We eat out a lot here.

sneuse 05-05-2012 11:35 AM

Thanks Dana! I bit the bullet last night (I was soooo nervous to eat out) and had a steak and veggies at Outback Steakhouse. We'd planned Roadhouse or Red Robin but ended up driving out to the Outlets in San Marcos and the Outback was perfectly located.

The waitress was incredibly nice about avoiding butter AND oil on everything and I didn't feel like there was flavor lacking. Of course, now I'm paranoid they might have used some sugar in the steak seasoning but I can't change it now. I'm just such a stickler about doing exactly as the rules say to do that I worry I can't trust a waitress or cook to get it right!

I'll def try 24 Diner as I live in the Barton Hills neighborhood and it's less than 10 minutes away from me. BJ's will also be great as it's just a short drive down to Brodie. I just wish they'd kept the Red Robin over there!

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I really really REALLY appreciate it!

JellyMae87 05-05-2012 12:03 PM

I go out pretty frequently... My choices are usually Red Robin or Applebee's I have also stopped and gotten fast good for their grilled chicken - No bun...

DanafromAustin 05-05-2012 12:04 PM

I live off of Southwest Parkway and Mopac, so BJ's is really close to me too. I always order a turkey patty there with some steamed brocolli and a side salad (with no carrots). I miss that Red Robin too, but in a couple of weeks a Longhorn Steakhouse in opening in that same spot. When I was putting in restaurants yesterday I meant to say Texas Roadhouse, and not Texas Land and Cattle (which I'm not crazy about truthfully). Also another good one is Kerby Lane. I order the hamburger patty and a side salad there too. However on my first free day I'm going there for a cinnamon bun.;)

DanafromAustin 05-05-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JellyMae87 (Post 4321822)
I go out pretty frequently... My choices are usually Red Robin or Applebee's I have also stopped and gotten fast good for their grilled chicken - No bun...

Applebees actually makes a really good steak too, and they only steam their veggies, so it's really easy.

DanafromAustin 05-05-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanafromAustin (Post 4321824)
I live off of Southwest Parkway and Mopac, so BJ's is really close to me too. I always order a turkey patty there with some steamed brocolli and a side salad (with no carrots). I miss that Red Robin too, but in a couple of weeks a Longhorn Steakhouse in opening in that same spot. When I was putting in restaurants yesterday I meant to say Texas Roadhouse, and not Texas Land and Cattle (which I'm not crazy about truthfully). Also another good one is Kerby Lane. I order the hamburger patty and a side salad there too. However on my first free day I'm going there for a cinnamon bun.;)

Jelly reminded me of fast food... Try P. Terry's. I order their single burger (3ozs.) without the bun, a tomato and wrapped in lettuce. It comes in handy when I'm out, hungry and want to use some of my dinner protein at lunch time.

sneuse 05-05-2012 12:14 PM

Dana - oooohhh Kerby Lane would be awesome. The one on Lamar that they just moved is super close and I've always loved their food. But I'm with you, I can't wait to go in and get some of their delicious breakfast tacos and toast when this is all said and done!

I've never been to a Longhorn Steakhouse so I don't know how their food is but I'll def try when they open. And the I bet BJ's turkey burger is delicious! There are only a few things I've ever had there (and I used to eat there A TON when I lived in an apartment off Mopac) that I didn't just love so I need to go again.

The only thing that appealed to me about Texas Land and Cattle over Roadhouse was that they have tons of steamed veggie options. But they're def pricey and probably not worth it in the long run.

I'll have to try Applebees too - my boyfriend (who isn't on a diet of ANY kind and doesn't exactly enjoy diet eating!) will be in town this week and I'm sure he'll enjoy eating at places where we can both get things we want.

Your advice and commentary is EXTREMELY helpful, so thank you for that!

sneuse 05-05-2012 12:20 PM

I LOVE PTERRYS. It's probably my favorite thing in the world. I had a double meat Tuesday in a lettuce wrap that was WONDERFUL with one exception... I'm pretty sure it had cheese on it!!

I was so desperate to eat it that I think my mind didn't register until I was on my last bite. My mom ordered it without cheese, but I think they just messed up (which they never do!) There is a chance that it was just a little on that last bite (I honestly couldn't decide definitively if it had cheese or didn't have cheese on the whole thing) but whats done is done. I just hope Monday's weigh-in isn't as horrible as I'm expecting!

Valholli 06-27-2012 10:39 PM

New to IP also but am an Austinite! Another idea is Hat Creek...they have a turkey patty that I think is delicious and you can get it on a salad. Dressings can be a little tricky - probably have to start carrying my own.

usmcvet 06-27-2012 11:39 PM

Fast food would be my last choice but I've had salad McDonald's and Burger King once each in 3 months. A Steak huouse would be my 1st choice one with a salad bar! We still go out about once a week to The Steak house it is easy to stay OP there.

jules26965 06-28-2012 01:31 AM

I know it's an old post, but you guys are killing me...I'm in Austin too and love all of the above places (especially Kerbey!). I am only in week 2, so I haven't attempted eating out yet (too tempting), but I had to go to a going away party at Pluckers last week and just not eat :(