Old 06-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 293/ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

Default Suddenly Getting Ill Post Exercise While Low Carbing?

Alright, I DO have an appointment with my doctor next week, I want to stress that, but I have a question I am wondering if any of you have any experience with.

I am on a doctor supervised diet that is VERY similar to Ideal Protein, but different JUST enough to not be (I eat more calories, more carbs, and more fat than IP, but the principle is the same.) I use primarily Wonderslim products, something he and I both agree to be the best product for my journey. He does blood work on me, nothing abnormal has come up. I have his okay to exercise and put in roughly 45 to 60 minutes a day, alternating between running and weight lifting. He is aware of this, in fact created the workout plan I am on. He has extra studies in weight loss, he isn't a regular GP, and he is one of the areas top weight loss doctors, so I assume he knows what he is doing. At least, I hope so. I meet with him every two weeks.

My typical day looks like this:

Calories: 1253
Carbs: 95g
Fiber: 20g
Protein: 160g
fat: 28g

When I run, I do 20 minutes run, 20 minutes walk. When I do weightlifting, I do 30 minutes with 30 minutes walking. Pretty much, that is all I do. I just alter the days so I don't piggyback. I follow EVERY work out up with a protein shake within 15 minutes of completing the workout, followed by at least 8 ounces of water, but usually more along the lines of 20 ounces.

I've been doing this since January.

Anyways, there is the background of what I do. Rough, I know.

Anyways, starting Saturday, I started having problems. Every time I exercise I end up getting ill. Like, it feels VERY similar to morning sickness. I NEVER had problems prior to Saturday. It wouldn't be so bad if it stopped....but it goes on and on and on the rest of the day and into the night. I know I am not dehydrated...I drink 90-100 ounces of water a day...not including the water in other foods and beverages I consume. I know I am not pregnant...I have an IUD and the pregnancy test I JUST took was negative. I know it isn't food poisoning or a "bug", no one else in the house is sick.

Should I be concerned? Anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

Once again, I AM meeting with my doctor next week. Our scheduled day is Tuesday. I plan to hold off until then since I am not in pain, but seriously...what the heck?!?!?

So...what the heck? Why am I suddenly getting sick when I haven't changed anything up?

Last edited by zoesmom; 06-13-2013 at 05:23 PM.
zoesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:59 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.9/123.3/113

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesmom View Post
Alright, I DO have an appointment with my doctor next week, I want to stress that, but I have a question I am wondering if any of you have any experience with.

I am on a doctor supervised diet that is VERY similar to Ideal Protein, but different JUST enough to not be (I eat more calories, more carbs, and more fat than IP, but the principle is the same.) I use primarily Wonderslim products, something he and I both agree to be the best product for my journey. He does blood work on me, nothing abnormal has come up. I have his okay to exercise and put in roughly 45 to 60 minutes a day, alternating between running and weight lifting. He is aware of this, in fact created the workout plan I am on. He has extra studies in weight loss, he isn't a regular GP, and he is one of the areas top weight loss doctors, so I assume he knows what he is doing. At least, I hope so. I meet with him every two weeks.

My typical day looks like this:

Calories: 1253
Carbs: 95g
Fiber: 20g
Protein: 160g
fat: 28g

When I run, I do 20 minutes run, 20 minutes walk. When I do weightlifting, I do 30 minutes with 30 minutes walking. Pretty much, that is all I do. I just alter the days so I don't piggyback. I follow EVERY work out up with a protein shake within 15 minutes of completing the workout, followed by at least 8 ounces of water, but usually more along the lines of 20 ounces.

I've been doing this since January.

Anyways, there is the background of what I do. Rough, I know.

Anyways, starting Saturday, I started having problems. Every time I exercise I end up getting ill. Like, it feels VERY similar to morning sickness. I NEVER had problems prior to Saturday. It wouldn't be so bad if it stopped....but it goes on and on and on the rest of the day and into the night. I know I am not dehydrated...I drink 90-100 ounces of water a day...not including the water in other foods and beverages I consume. I know I am not pregnant...I have an IUD and the pregnancy test I JUST took was negative. I know it isn't food poisoning or a "bug", no one else in the house is sick.

Should I be concerned? Anyone else have this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

Once again, I AM meeting with my doctor next week. Our scheduled day is Tuesday. I plan to hold off until then since I am not in pain, but seriously...what the heck?!?!?

So...what the heck? Why am I suddenly getting sick when I haven't changed anything up?
Did you take some time off from working out? I didnt work out for two months and had a similar experience when I started back at the gym. I was eating a well balanced maintenance diet. Over 1200 calories! I walked on the treadmill for 20 and did the elliptical for 15minutes. I felt like I had a hangover the rest of the day (didnt puke but felt like i was going to!). The good news is it passed. I can work out now without feeling like that.
Jen02719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:40 PM   #3  

No, never really took any time off. At most, I will take a two day break, but normally I am six on one off. I think my longest break was around Mother's Day when I threw my back out and stayed on low activity for about a week.

I have a confession, I carbed up today, out of curiosity and mostly, because of the old chicken soup philosophy that saltines makes everything better and am feeling tons better post workout...I am wondering if I need to up my carb intake. Something I need to discuss with my doc next week I suppose. Although, I must admit, I am going to hate upping my carbs daily if that is the case since carbs love me more than I love them.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I eat very low carb and exercise a lot. I did so even on phase 1.
Are you taking any supplements around your work out that might be the problem?
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #5  

I take potassium post workout, but I am getting ill prior to taking the pill. In honesty, I haven't taken it this week (I know, my bad) because of the nausea. Other than that, all my other pills/meds are in the mornings. I take the normal vitamins, Omega-3,Biotin, and calcium with vitamin D. And all of my lung medicines, like Dulera, Claritin, Symbicort (yep, I take it along with the Dulera...FUN!) and that's it. Unless you count the very occasional use of my rescue inhaler and nebulizer.

I am just at a complete loss. It makes no sense to me. Especially because I don't cheat, outside of today of course. I will admit I totally mucked today up with those saltines.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

This is quite a low fat and high protein diet. Check your liver and kidney function. Also, get a thyroid hormone panel. Do you have the feeling that you might have water retention? This can happen when your heart is not working properly or when your hormones are off balance. Since you are taking these meds, make sure the diet in combination with cardio does not affect your heart. Perhaps I would take a break from cardio and increase carb intake while decreasing protein.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #7  

So...worth pointing out that I managed to get an appointment for today after feeling ill for over a week. First and foremost, thanks for everyone's input.

Second, my diet has NOTHING to do with my sudden and very odd illness that mimics that of pregnancy. Turns out, I have a cyst that ruptured and one more that appears to be on the way. HA! Never would have thought of that! Funny how we always assume it is diet. At least, now I know. Doesn't make the discomfort any less bearable, but at least, now I know.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #8  
Fresh start

Height: 5'8"

I follow the IP Protocol in which a dieter is not to exercise at all. By looking at the amount of your calories intake it seems to me you follow LC... There's a group for LC dieters I wonder if they will have more input to your questions.
foreveryoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/163/148

Height: 5'4"

I notice you stated that your diet is doctor supervised - seems you should be able to call your doctor and tell him your concerns without having to wait for your appointment on Tuesday. If I were your doctor, I would want to know.
SeattleNP is offline   Reply With Quote