Old 05-02-2012, 07:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266/Ticker/150

Arrow Ketosis

Can simple things make you not in Ketosis? My clinic tested me to see if I was in Ketosis and the answer was NO! I had previously used the strips for about a week when I started and they also said negative. One error I was making was using too much salt and lately constipation has been an issue. So presently I am on Novi-lax, not using the Cal-Mag vitamins (use own Potassium only), and increasing beef to 6 oz and all other meats to 8 ounces - all recommended. They also want me to eat high fiber permitted veggies and drink 84 ounces of water daily. The good news is after stalling at a 1 lb weekly loss for two weeks I have lost 3 pounds and now I am re-invigorated and positive. Yeah IP coach - she's a jewel.

Yes I searched but it did not bring up specific blogs or comments regarding Ketosis.

Last edited by qsuzi1; 05-02-2012 at 07:55 PM.
qsuzi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #2  
Restart IP 12/26/14

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsuzi1 View Post
Can simple things make you not in Ketosis? My clinic tested me to see if I was in Ketosis and the answer was NO! I had previously used the strips for about a week when I started and they also said negative. One error I was making was using too much salt and lately constipation has been an issue. So presently I am on Novi-lax, not using the Cal-Mag vitamins (use own Potassium only), and increasing beef to 6 oz and all other meats to 8 ounces - all recommended. They also want me to eat high fiber permitted veggies and drink 84 ounces of water daily. The good news is after stalling at a 1 lb weekly loss for two weeks I have lost 3 pounds and now I am re-invigorated and positive. Yeah IP coach - she's a jewel.

Yes I searched but it did not bring up specific blogs or comments regarding Ketosis.
I am not sure sure all those things have anything to do with getting and staying in ketosis. I thought it all had to do with your carb intake. How did the clinic test to see if you were in ketosis? the ketostix arent always reliable. I was told to follow the sheet and by day 5 I would be in ketosis. I havent tested I just trust that I am and I lose every week.

I also find on days when I forget my cal mag, things in the bathroom department dont work as well as when I take them.

Last edited by Cadu; 05-02-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Cadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #3  

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadu View Post
I am not sure sure all those things have anything to do with getting and staying in ketosis. I thought it all had to do with your carb intake. How did the clinic test to see if you were in ketosis? the ketostix arent always reliable. I was told to follow the sheet and by day 5 I would be in ketosis. I havent tested I just trust that I am and I lose every week.

I also find on days when I forget my cal mag, things in the bathroom department dont work as well as when I take them.
They took urine and tested it but I have read that ketosis is not always eliminated just via urine. I don't really know why there test might be more accurate than the strips. I am not getting the "whoosh" as frequently though. They didn't say anything to me about carb intake. Are we to stay less than 40 carbs daily? I think I'm okay about carbs but if don't get feedback here I will ask my coach. The coach told me that calcium can be one of the things that can lead to constipation. She also gave me an IP sheet that lists what to do and that includes no calcium until the issue is resolved. I appreciate getting your comments.

Last edited by qsuzi1; 05-02-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #4  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:

I'm glad that you had a 3 lb weight loss and are feeling more positive. But I'm a little confused qsuzi -- having 8 oz of meat with the evening meal (or if necessary, just 6 oz beef as it seems generally accepted that it's harder to eat a full 8 oz of beef than it is chicken or fish)... eating from the variety of restricted and (as allowed) non-restricted veggies... and drinking lots of water each day are all standard parts of the protocol, that you should have been following anyway?
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #5  
Restart IP 12/26/14

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
They took urine and tested it but I have read that ketosis is not always eliminated just via urine. I don't really know why there test might be more accurate than the strips. I am not getting the "whoosh" as frequently though. They didn't say anything to me about carb intake. Are we to stay less than 40 carbs daily? I think I'm okay about carbs but if don't get feedback here I will ask my coach. The coach told me that calcium can be one of the things that can lead to constipation. She also gave me an IP sheet that lists what to do and that includes no calcium until the issue is resolved. I appreciate getting your comments.
You dont have to worry about counting your carbs. If you follow the phase 1 sheet you will be in ketosis in a few days. I do believe that the protocol is designed to give you 25 - 40 grams of carbs a day. If constipatin is an issue, maybe ask what others have done on the daily chat thread?? I dont have that issue but many on here have, there is allot of advise here on the subject, All I can tell you is what has worked for me and the cal - mags make me go. On a side note.. I eat 8 ounces of beef a few times a week (I love it. lol) Good luck

Last edited by Cadu; 05-03-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Cadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:15 AM   #6  
04/23/12~Kara

S/C/G: 194.8/171.2/135

Height: 5'7"

Used my one and only Ketostix today and that puppy was bright purple! Hip hip hooray!!! Although I feel almost sick. Sweaty and hot all over, keep getting thirsty (drank almost 20 oz of water since waking up 15 min ago, and still thirsty). I ate a restricted yesterday after dinner to see if that's help; nope. Any thoughts? Will also post in daily thread.
Kaypix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #7  

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I'm glad that you had a 3 lb weight loss and are feeling more positive. But I'm a little confused qsuzi -- having 8 oz of meat with the evening meal (or if necessary, just 6 oz beef as it seems generally accepted that it's harder to eat a full 8 oz of beef than it is chicken or fish)... eating from the variety of restricted and (as allowed) non-restricted veggies... and drinking lots of water each day are all standard parts of the protocol, that you should have been following anyway?
Thanks for your comments as always evepet. I've been searching for answers for awhile and getting better results and it's great to get more time with my coach to discuss specific issues - honestly I was beginning to feel like a failure even though I was very close to following the protocol stringently. Water consumption before was at least 64 ounces with most days about 80; she wants me to consistently have 84 ounces daily. Eating non-restricted veggies that have more fiber are better when you have constipation as I understood her. I usually try to eat veggies with more fiber normally. I have actually been eating 6 oz beef and 7oz of other but will ask her about the 8 oz for others. Also she recommended no more than 3 restricted and then the next week no more than 5 restricted to see how that works. Previously I was using 5 restricted each week.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #8  

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadu View Post
You dont have to worry about counting your carbs. If you follow the phase 1 sheet you will be in ketosis in a few days. I do believe that the protocol is designed to give you 25 - 40 grams of carbs a day. If constipatin is an issue, maybe ask what others have done on the daily chat thread?? I dont have that issue but many on here have, there is allot of advise here on the subject, All I can tell you is what has worked for me and the cal - mags make me go. On a side note.. I eat 8 ounces of beef a few times a week (I love it. lol) Good luck
Carol, thanks for always being so supportive and informative. I appreciate it.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #9  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Thanks for your comments as always evepet. I've been searching for answers for awhile and getting better results and it's great to get more time with my coach to discuss specific issues - honestly I was beginning to feel like a failure even though I was very close to following the protocol stringently. Water consumption before was at least 64 ounces with most days about 80; she wants me to consistently have 84 ounces daily. Eating non-restricted veggies that have more fiber are better when you have constipation as I understood her. I usually try to eat veggies with more fiber normally. I have actually been eating 6 oz beef and 7oz of other but will ask her about the 8 oz for others. Also she recommended no more than 3 restricted and then the next week no more than 5 restricted to see how that works. Previously I was using 5 restricted each week.
As long as your feeling more positive, getting better results and moving ahead, that's the important thing. Sounds like your coach is 'fine-tuning' things with you. That's good. Hope you have a great week.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote