Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #106  

S/C/G: 196.6/130/134

Height: 5'2

Default What I am Thankful for on IP

*I am in control of who I will become. I accept the past, when I could not.
*I feel good. Much better than I did before committing to the protocol.
*I feel very proud of myself for making a committment to myself.
*I feel healthy when I eat every single thing on this lifestyle committment.
*I feel like I may live longer and be here for my precious children and friends.
*I am amazed at how my life has been, well, sad because of my food choices.
*I feel happy that every day my body will benefit from the right foods.
*I am thrilled that I no longer crave the crappy carbs that got me here!
*After nightmares, sweats, and insomnia on week 1....I am sleeping GREAT!
*I love my 3FatChicks community! I am thankful for everyone.
*I have hopes and dreams. I am moving on!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 198/154/139

Height: 5'6"

I think I noted on some thread where people mentioned they were given guidelines on how many Splenda packets, etc they might consider having.

I have seen people unload a handful into drinks several times a day. There has to a reasonable amount of things even if they are allowed!??

With the carbonation things, amounts and frequency would be a factor in the relative problems that might occur. It is not something I need to consume, so I gave it all up. Then I read about the stuff and I think I will give it up generally as a normal food plan item. I do think I am going to have to live with some sort of plan the rest of my life. It is obvious what my body does with carbs. It is obvious how my mind and body respond to them. I lost a lot of good time to obesity, poor health and generally feeling lousy. Nothing that I can consume in a few moments is worth reliving that sort of life. Once I came to that, my pleasure eating thoughts sort of lost their power to high jack my consumption. There are other things that feel good to me now and the eating "feel good" less appealing.

Last edited by Samba; 04-28-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #108  
04/23/12~Kara

S/C/G: 194.8/171.2/135

Height: 5'7"

Samba: Did you lose the 37 lbs in the past 3 months or so (i.e. Feb 1 - Apr 20) ? I'm starting very close in size and am wondering if I can have any expectations at this point (I'm coach-less as I am broke, but make room for the food)
Old 04-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooselover View Post
Hello everyone. I made it to Dallas Thursday night. I had a great day with my sister yesterday. It was sunny and a warm 85 degrees I was in heaven!!! I needed this warm weather. I had a great salad bar lunch outside on a patio overlooking a lake. It is so nice to have IP choices easily available at restaurants here. Makes this trip so easy. We are going to do a little shopping today and have another salad bar lunch. Then we are going to spend the afternoon sitting outside and enjoying her pool. I could get used to this I hope everyone has a great weekend.

No one like us northeners can appreciate that warm southern sunshine. Enjoy!!!
But hey, they don't have rhubarb down there so there are some pluses to the north.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #110  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

Regarding seltzer...which I happen to make & drink daily: (article link at bottom)

All diet drinks (i.e. sugar-free, carb-free) are NOT contraindicated on the Ideal Protein Weight Loss Method. The problem that can arise is imbalances in acid / base regulation. Our protocol is very alkaline and this is why we do not see complications common to other “protein type diets”, namely kidney stones, gout, bone spurs, etc. Some diet drinks (Crystal Light for example) are mixed with water and these are acceptable. Many others (flavored Aqua-fina, Dasani, etc.) contain alot of phosphoric acid. This is a very strong acid and will play havoc with the body’s bicarbonate buffering system. The same goes for diet sodas…particularly the “brown ones”…Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, root beer, etc.).

Flavored seltzers are usually OK, just read the label and make sure it is carb-free and contains no phosphoric acid. Carbonated beverages contain CO2 which, when dissolved in water becomes carbonic acid, a weak acid (unlike phosphoric). To have a glass of these occasionally would not be a problem, but consuming large amounts (like in place ofthe 2 liters of water per day) would not be a good idea. The pH of Perrier is about 5.7, weakly acidic.

http://www.iwlnow.com/?page_id=553
Old 04-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #111  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
Regarding seltzer...which I happen to make & drink daily: (article link at bottom)

All diet drinks (i.e. sugar-free, carb-free) are NOT contraindicated on the Ideal Protein Weight Loss Method. The problem that can arise is imbalances in acid / base regulation. Our protocol is very alkaline and this is why we do not see complications common to other “protein type diets”, namely kidney stones, gout, bone spurs, etc. Some diet drinks (Crystal Light for example) are mixed with water and these are acceptable. Many others (flavored Aqua-fina, Dasani, etc.) contain alot of phosphoric acid. This is a very strong acid and will play havoc with the body’s bicarbonate buffering system. The same goes for diet sodas…particularly the “brown ones”…Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, root beer, etc.).

Flavored seltzers are usually OK, just read the label and make sure it is carb-free and contains no phosphoric acid. Carbonated beverages contain CO2 which, when dissolved in water becomes carbonic acid, a weak acid (unlike phosphoric). To have a glass of these occasionally would not be a problem, but consuming large amounts (like in place ofthe 2 liters of water per day) would not be a good idea. The pH of Perrier is about 5.7, weakly acidic.

http://www.iwlnow.com/?page_id=553
LizRR, thank you so much for posting the specifics and the link.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #112  
Michele

S/C/G: 240/149/150

Height: 5.5

Good day at the ballpark all day and didnt cheat !!!! brought my vegies and a r2d and lots of water..Son played awesome won both games great weather.Tomorrow out in the boat fishing so will try to be good and pack lots of vegies..hope everyone is having a good weekend..
Old 04-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #113  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I had paosted this from about.com last week. several people asked about it later so I am reposting it on the weekend thread.
Pat

Question: Can You Drink Too Much Water?

Answer: You've probably heard that it's important to 'drink plenty of fluids' or simply 'drink lots of water'. There are excellent reasons for drinking water, but have you ever wondered if it's possible to drink too much water. Here's what you need to know:
Can You Really Drink Too Much Water?

In a word, yes. Drinking too much water can lead to a condition known as water intoxication and to a related problem resulting from the dilution of sodium in the body, hyponatremia. Water intoxication is most commonly seen in infants under six months of age and sometimes in athletes. A baby can get water intoxication as a result of drinking several bottles of water a day or from drinking infant formula that has been diluted too much. Athletes can also suffer from water intoxication. Athletes sweat heavily, losing both water and electrolytes. Water intoxication and hyponatremia result when a dehydrated person drinks too much water without the accompanying electrolytes.

What Happens During Water Intoxication?

When too much water enters the body's cells, the tissues swell with the excess fluid. Your cells maintain a specific concentration gradient, so excess water outside the cells (the serum) draws sodium from within the cells out into the serum in an attempt to re-establish the necessary concentration. As more water accumulates, the serum sodium concentration drops -- a condition known as hyponatremia. The other way cells try to regain the electrolyte balance is for water outside the cells to rush into the cells via osmosis. The movement of water across a semipermeable membrane from higher to lower concentration is called osmosis. Although electrolytes are more concentrated inside the cells than outside, the water outside the cells is 'more concentrated' or 'less dilute' since it contains fewer electrolytes. Both electrolytes and water move across the cell membrane in an effort to balance concentration. Theoretically, cells could swell to the point of bursting.

From the cell's point of view, water intoxication produces the same effects as would result from drowning in fresh water. Electrolyte imbalance and tissue swelling can cause an irregular heartbeat, allow fluid to enter the lungs, and may cause fluttering eyelids. Swelling puts pressure on the brain and nerves, which can cause behaviors resembling alcohol intoxication. Swelling of brain tissues can cause seizures, coma and ultimately death unless water intake is restricted and a hypertonic saline (salt) solution is administered. If treatment is given before tissue swelling causes too much cellular damage, then a complete recovery can be expected within a few days.

It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #114  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSJ100 View Post
Well, I got in trouble with the coach who is reporting me to the head of the clinic for drinking sparkling water (made with a Soda Stream).
Reporting you to the head of the clinic...really? Are they sending you to the principal's office after that? I think I would have just started laughing at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North Girl View Post
Sometimes the simplest quotes hit home. When I was struggling for motivation to start this journey, DanafromAustin gave me this one: "None of us are any more special or have more will power than the next. It really all comes down to how much you really want this." Thanks, Dana, I needed that! I am going to print the quote and tape it to my refrigerator.
You're welcome! I guess every once in awhile I do have a flash of brilliance.
Seriously though, I'm glad I could help and I know you can do this.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #115  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Crazy busy day and I can't believe I finally have time to get on here.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about IP these past few days, and I think after my WI on Tuesday I'm going to phase 3 for a week or two, and then back to phase 1 like Lisa did recently. My reason for this is I feel like I'm really starting to slow down in my weight loss, and I think I need to shake it up a bit. The past several weeks it has been hard to even get a 2 pound loss and now this week nothing. I have been on IP for 7 1/2 months 100% and have lost a lot of weight. Other than a couple of phase 2 days here and there when I was out of town, I think my body has started to become almost complacent about the loss. Time to shock the body and wake it up. I still have about 50 pounds I want to loose (I think), and it's just going to slow now. Some have suggested I just do an out and out cheat day, but I know I will get sick to my stomach, and I want to do this methodically, not all willy nilly.

I will run it by my coach, but I think I will do this regardless of what she says. My friend's coach says when you've lost a ton of weight you should phase off for a month to give your body a rest and get your body moving again. I really don't want to spend a month off of phase 1, but I have a feeling phase 3 will do the trick. Wish me luck, I'm kinda nervous about it.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #116  

S/C/G: 198/154/139

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaypix View Post
Samba: Did you lose the 37 lbs in the past 3 months or so (i.e. Feb 1 - Apr 20) ? I'm starting very close in size and am wondering if I can have any expectations at this point (I'm coach-less as I am broke, but make room for the food)
Yes, the loss was over that time period. I am 53, peri menopausal, have metabolic syndrome and with insulin resistance a low tolerance for carbs. With all these factors, I am pleased with the loss. If I was younger and had less complexities , it might have been faster. But, in recent history all other diets I tried were so poor as far as results. IP has been amazing! I feel so much better eating the IP foods that I have no way to resent the plan!

The expense of the foods is not easy for me either, but it has been so worth it. Getting to drop 4 prescription meds helped out though. Wow.

My IP home is in SD. I order my foods and long distance the coaching. Nothing close to my home to utilize. I do have two local friends along with me on the journey. Both of them are doing well with super weight loss.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #117  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I had a great dinner with the in-laws tonight celebrating hubby and mother-in-law combo birthdays (5 days apart). Had a petite filet with a double serving of roasted mushrooms (no pasta please!) and it was delicious! I was a little jumpy reading up on the chat today as it's been a busy Saturday!

Just to clarify - I talked with my coach at the beginning regarding seltzer, since I do really enjoy drinking plain CO2 bubbly. She made it clear why some carbonated beverages were bad regarding the phosphoric acid and the alkaline approach to IP and did give me the okay to enjoy the nightly beverage.

I officially started my weightlifting class today - and had my first restricted IP! The choco soypuffs....soooo good! I am replacing my 'usual' raspberry jelly snack with it from now on, and now having my raspberry jelly as my 4th IP packet on weightlifting days (3x/week). I think I've mentioned it a few times already, but I am a little nervous/anxious about changing my routine - but I have been wanting to get back to lifting. I have to say that I was extra hungry after my workout (I haven't been hungry like that since starting IP), that 4th packet is really essential!

mtnsun - I had a similar work/travel challenge weeks 3&4, but sounds like you are doing great now that you are home sweet home!

wingnut - sorry about the carshow turnaround. Hope you make a great weekend of it. And thank you for all of your recipe posts - you have quite the delicious collection. P.S: Seeing your smile always makes me so happy!

I'm going to take Wuv's approach and continue eating my celery (barely eat cukes) as part of my veggie intake.

3sisters: Unrestricted Crispy Cereal Pancakes-I use a rolling pin to crush up the crispy cereal inside the packet, add 1/4tsp baking powder, 2 egg whites and I add a few tsp of water to make my batter a bit thinner. Cook like a pancake. You can add cinammon, vanilla, splenda, to the batter and/or top with WF caramel/chocolate/pancake syrup. I am going to try the sauteed rhubarb mixed with WF strawberry syrup "fruit" topping tomorrow with them. I make pudding pancakes the same way (except swap cereal for pudding flavor of choice). Note that I cleared with my coach 2 egg whites/day are allowed as a freebie, but I only add them on the weekends.

mooselover - glad you enjoyed Dallas! We moved here 5 years ago and we love it, but I'm a native Texan (San Antonio) and was ready to settle close to family! After bouncing 5 years in Boston and 5 years in Tucson - I am home!

Newpath - I can't wait to hear about your WI tomorrow! Sounds like you are doing great and going in the right direction!

DanaFromAustin - sounds like you have a good plan. Very interested in how it goes! It should be reassuring seeing how Wuv did on her phasing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPath View Post
Could you please share your yummy garlic roasted celery recipe?
Thanks!
I chop & toss together 4 stalks celery, 1/2-head cauliflower or mushrooms, and 5 cloves minced garlic sprayed with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt & pepper and roast it in the oven at 350 for ~25-30 minutes, on a foil lined cookie sheet surrounding a pork loin or chicken breasts. It feeds me, my husband, and 2 year old. I find it easier to roast my meat and veggies in the oven together. I also like to 'crust' my pork loin or chicken with minced garlic, rosemary, and sea salt & pepper.

Last edited by LizRR; 04-29-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:22 AM   #118  

S/C/G: 195/141.6/145

Height: 5' 9"

I don't think I did the mug cake right...
It went really big and then got really small!
It's like eating a chocolate egg... :/

EDIT: Did I prepare them wrong? Were they too watery? Is that what I did wrong? worried about making waffles and muffins now!

Last edited by Stefany1769; 04-29-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 164/161.8/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up North Girl View Post
Sometimes the simplest quotes hit home. When I was struggling for motivation to start this journey, DanafromAustin gave me this one: "None of us are any more special or have more will power than the next. It really all comes down to how much you really want this."
This IS a great quote. I keep a "diet motivation" word doc - just a little something that I cut & paste anything to that I find helpful. This quote, attributing it to Dana, is on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewPath View Post
Yeesh! this is very concerning to me. This week I ate mostly cucumbers. At my evening meal, I stick to shrimp only ,with occassional beef. I am on week two.
I lost 12 pounds my first week. I weigh in tomorrow. I am so stressed that I won't have a weight loss!!!! I feel lighter, my clothes have been really loose, and I fit into a new size top. I just get so anxious the two days before weigh in. Should I bulk up on broccoli and cauliflower today????

Cucumbers are so easy to travel with and prepare. I am really disappointed that they are now going to be free!!!!! I actually like cucumbers : (
No worries, your body will respond the same way it did last week - not that you'll lose 12 pounds - obviously probably won't for lots of good reasons - but will lose quite a bit most likely. Celery is so good for you, as are cukes, both of which I love - always have. The celery is helpful for spreading WF mixture of BBQ sauce and whipped peanut butter. Snackish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingnutandMe View Post
Disappointment. Got 1/4 mile to the main road and didn't like the brakes on the Corvair wagon. Took it home loaded everything into DH's 65 Corvair coupe. Made it about 3 miles and it sputtered and coughed and we turned around with it. I had a brief moment when I realized, normally, I would have shoved a bunch of really bad food in me with something like that, but I came and sat down and finished reading posts on the forum instead. DH is out trying to figure what happened with the brakes. Glad we don't depend on these cars for transportation.
Molly, Great you found out when you did re both cars, much better then than 5-10 miles down the road. I'm sorry it happened though but again, thankful you and DH were not in an accident of any type. I have to look for those mini peppers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthesun View Post
Morning!
Ohhh those eating dreams! scary!!
I was watching a show that I dvr and it took place at a resort in Hawaii.....I'm heading there at the very end of July and can not wait! It's a trip that has prompted me to stick with this plan because I want to enjoy every moment of it in a bathing suit and not feel the least bit self conscious! I've got a little bit of time today and am thinking of creating a vision board for myself....gather pictures, images, quotes....so that when I get wrapped up in my head about any cons of this diet I'll have a definitive visual.
Thanks for the recipes and advice that's being shared!
Hi Sun,
We have similar stats right now. At my size, I now fit in Tommy Bahamas sundresses in size medium and they look pretty good. I was amazed, just received a package w/ 1 dress and 3 bathing suits on Friday and gave DH a fashion show. We were both surprised. I then went and bought 2 more TB dresses online in medium. Doubt I'll get to a small since I have medium sized hip bones and medium shoulders (do a lot of lat pull downs at the gym) but if it happens, I'll treat myself to a small dress. These dresses would be perfect for a Hawaii vacation. Will wear w/ a white linen jeans jacket. A little low cut - may wear w/ a camisole. Just thought I'd mention it - its a great look. They have free shipping for the next couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthesun View Post
And sorry, but what is RTD?
Also, are there any alternative bars I could pick up that are 100% ok until my IP shipment arrives on wed? What about a choc drink alternative? I've got plenty of the orange drink and pomegranate drink (dont love it but totally want the collagen so in my mind I've tell myself I need it like it's medicine)....and only 1 packet of choc drink and one of the vanilla...I'm going to try to spread those out as much as possible but don't want the anxiety of feeling I HAVE to...I'd love to alleviate that stress if possible! 5 more days until my supplies come in!
I use a combo of IP and alternatives due to the unreliable availability of IP in my area and now that I've learned so much about alternatives, have complete confidence in their quality and effectiveness w/ IP diet. The sheer cost savings of 60-70% makes it so easy to afford my new wardrobe of Tommy Bahama bathing suits (w/ most recent order, now have 4 new gorgeous suits and 3 incredible sundresses). Read the "Alternatives" thread for lots of great info.
Anyway, re choc and vanilla shakes, I use GNC Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Gold Standard protein powder in Double Rich Chocolate. Also have it in Vanilla Ice Cream and Extreme Milk Chocolate flavors - like them all. 1 serving has 120 cal, 1 g fat, 3 g carbs, 24 g protein. Very tasty and often on sale, Serving costs around $.75 when on sale. I buy a 5 lb tub and DH and I share it.

Last edited by Chloe222; 04-29-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #120  
Restart IP 12/26/14

Height: 5' 3"

Good Morning on this lovely Sunday.

I did so much physical stuff yesterday that I was too tired to come on and read last night. (it was a good tired but my body is aching today). I had allot of reading to catch up on this morning.

Molly- I hope you and DH had a lovely anniversay & congrats on the WI
Mylastdiet - I agree, the ceral pancakes heavenly - one of my faves
Dakin & LSJ - stop hogging the Whoosh fairy - LOL
Kelly - whooo hooooo to you on the baggy butt capris
Newpath & 3 sisters- thanks for sharing your stories, Many of us had traumatic things happen in our past and have turned to food to cope. I just try to remember that those things are in the past and they cant hurt me anymore. dwelling on those things had taken away allot of my happiness in the past, I will not let that happen to my present & future. (hence my siggy). much luck to you both.
Hope12- congrats on the WI
Billster - when I first read your post I thought you said my hubby in place of your puppy had the runs all over the house..... i was like, "oh my" I had to read it again. lol thank goodness it was puppy.
Tripmama- you have a great attitude
Stefany - great WI- you must feel great
LSJ - I cant believe youre getting reported.. Your a grown woman not a grade schooler... be careful you dont want her hitting you with a ruler should you have an extra splenda. sheeeeeesh so riddiculous
3 sisters - great job at the shower, yea mine is next Sunday thats why I have been working so hard getting the yard ready, I usually take my time all spring into early summer doing all this stuff but now I am on a rapid timetable. At least it will all be done and I can enjoy the rest of the spring/ summer.
Evepet - great idea.. I think I will grow some veggies in pots this year, maybe peppers, tomatoes, would love to grow cukes as I eat them everyday.
Dana - Doing phase 3 for a spell sounds like a good plan. It may be just what you need to jumpstart. and how exciting will it be to eat a nice breakfast.
Lizz - I also started a little weight training this week. Nothing big just a little since I never weight trained in my life but I do feel great after. It has only been a couple times so far but I swear I feel my butt tightening up already. LOL

Have a great Sunday everybody.
Closed Thread