So here I am sitting at work and my partner who I have known for years (and knew me before I put on the weight) says to me tonight “Billie why do you think you put on all that weight?” and it really got me thinking. Being a social worker I feel I am a very accountable and self aware person BUT after pondering this question in my brain for a few hours I realized that I really was not self aware to my own self about my weight and why I gained weight. It got me thinking why did I put on so much weight? Well here are my answers-
1. I eat my feelings, I eat when I’m happy, sad, angry etc
2. I worked shift work for years, anyone who has ever worked odd schedules knows its hard on the body, never feel rested and your best friend becomes SUGAR!
3. Money- being new in my field I did not make a lot of money, more bang for your buck! A case of KD costs less then chicken breast and veggies.
4. Time- working 70+ hours a week does not leave much time to prepare meals
5. Lazy- self explanatory
6. Social- A lot of my social activities surrounded around food and booze
7. I learned from my parents- Sorry mom and dad but you both taught me that fast food is a fast solution to a meal (parents be self aware what you could be indirectly teaching your children)
I know a lot of this sounds like excuses and IT WAS an excuse in the past but being self aware to why we got the way we did will help us NOT go back to it (I think anyways). Just thought I would share…