Old 04-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #1  
reboot 10/14/2014

S/C/G: 162.7/149.2/125

Height: 5'2"

Default phase 3 & dissapointed

I have been on phase 3 now for almost two weeks. I know that I may gain a few pounds...which I have (4 to be exact) but my coach told me that I will even out and start feeling great. I still feel awful. I feel bloated and heavy. I hate it and am disappointed. I want to just go back to phase one where I felt great and where my weight was coming off not coming back.

I have been eating chobani plain yogurt, 1/3 cup grapenut flakes, 2tbsp almonds, and mixed berries for breakfast. all other eating habits have stayed the same. I have also been going to the gym and running like my coach suggested.

am I just going to put back on the weight I lost? I am scared and frustrated. it makes following the plan difficult....my attitude is slowing turning to why bother? You are doing the plan correctly but are gaining weight. it makes me very upset.

has anyone else felt this way? How do I make sure I am successful? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.
SaraBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

I tried phase 3 first a few weeks ago. I had yogurt, Ezekiel bread, a few almonds and berries for breakfast. I lasted three days and gained three pounds and was hungry all the time.
Then there were very serious medical issues with both my hubby and my mother and I went back on phase 1 because I found it easier while at the hospital.I got the 3 pounds off and went back on phase 3 on Sunday.

I had not eaten bread for many years before IP, that was why I used Ezekiel bread as I know I could not tolerate regular bread. This time I did not try any bread at all. I had yogurt, almonds and an apple for breakfast since then. I wanted the apple for digestive reasons but was nervouus to try it as it is a high carb fruit.I was down a half pound this morning and do not feel hungry at all.
I had to accept I can't add back bread in any form. I am going to try some oatmeal and see if that works.
Many of us are intolerant to grains, that was why we were in trouble to start with.
Or it may be the dairy that doesn't agree with you. Try eliminating one or the other for a few days and see if that helps.
I added walking but not heavier exercise.

Good luck with this, it takes careful observation as we change any part of what we are doing.

Pat

Last edited by patns; 04-17-2012 at 11:39 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: High-258/224.5/135

Height: 5' 4"

I am not a coach, but I just got a hold of the IP clinic manual. It says you will have a ONE TIME weight gain of between 2.5 - 5 pounds. This is not fat, but your body replacing your glycogen (the fuel your body uses now that you are no longer living off your fat stores). There are 4 grams of water attached to every gram of glycogen. You actually may continue to see inches lost even though your weight loss has stopped. Don't worry, you are not doing anything wrong, and you are not going to gain it back as long as you follow the phase 4 steps. Just like all the other phases, as long as you do it 100%, there is no way you can gain it back. Just remember, the fun day is also a very big part of the success of phase 4. Is it also maybe time for TOM to visit? Here is a big HUG, hope this helps!
JoesHotWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Oh, how I know the mantra..."give me my Phase 1 back!" I gained some on Phase 3, but then it came off. Like Pat said, some people discover they are intolerant to dairy or grains or whatever, so this may be the time to experiment with different breakfasts. I also found the bloating and it could be because of intolerance or your body is just not used to digesting all these things, so adding a digestive enzyme or probiotic may help.

That, and the bit about glycogen stores that Joeshotwife posted. I believe it, even if I can't 'see' it. It's hard to believe in something you can't see, I know, but we've stuck with IP thus far, and it has served me well, so I just took another leap of faith and continued, and even though I'm still in the beginning of Phase 4, it seems to be working.

Whatever you decide, hang in there. You've done so well. It will happen for you!
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #5  
Started IP 10/13/11

S/C/G: 280/170/210

Height: 5' 10

I gained a few pounds also on phrase three also but have since lost after being on phrase four for four weeks. I now do weight training a few times a week. I think the exercising has helped to maintain.
Endless Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Hi, Just keep trusting in the plan and know what's happening in normal. Everything about this new lifestyle is mental and physical. Relax and know everything will be fine. Maybe some yoga or relaxing techniques is what you need. You've done a great job so far and there's no reason to give up! Now is not the time for a freak out meltdown.. Keep positive and know you've done great and you will continue to succeed for life!!! BIG HUG!!!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 231/185/185

Height: 5'6

I started Phase 3 today and am very nervous. It was so easy before, everything was calculated in the packet and I knew exactly what to eat. I had a small breakdown in the grocery store last night trying to get geared up for today. I am really nervous about all of this.

Fortunately, I have not been hungry, for breakfast I had 2 slices Ezekiel Bread, 1 egg, 1 slice of bacon, 1/2 slice cheddar, yogurt and strawberries. It was so much!

I hope I am doing all of this right. I don't want to get fat again.
Shayideal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

I realized the start of each phase is a little nerve racking...but just like P1 and P2, P3 is easy! Unfortunately as soon as you get use to it you'll be moving on to P4!!!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #9  
reboot 10/14/2014

Thanks everyone. I won't give up. I will trust the diet and will start experimenting with eating or not eating grains at breakfast.

you all are the best
Old 04-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #10  

I was just thinking...starting the phase out was incredibly stressful for me. All the fears of gaining it all back, etc., flooded in, and I found it difficult to make all the choices after all that time on Phase 1. I bet there is some research that shows stress can affect our weight loss, like the body is preparing for fight-or-flight so it wants to hold on to what it has.

Breathe deep.....you can do this!
Old 04-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #11  
reboot 10/14/2014

You have a point sewmam... not only am I stressed with the diet, I also just bought my first home AND I am getting ready to defend my masters degree thesis. I will take your advice and breath deep

Each day is a new day and as long as I am following the protocol I know I am doing the best I can. hopefully everything will even out!

Old 04-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBean View Post
You have a point sewmam... not only am I stressed with the diet, I also just bought my first home AND I am getting ready to defend my masters degree thesis. I will take your advice and breath deep

Each day is a new day and as long as I am following the protocol I know I am doing the best I can. hopefully everything will even out!

Wow...that makes what you've accomplished with IP even that much more impressive... Good for you!!! and good luck on the thesis - what is your topic?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayideal View Post
I started Phase 3 today and am very nervous. It was so easy before, everything was calculated in the packet and I knew exactly what to eat. I had a small breakdown in the grocery store last night trying to get geared up for today. I am really nervous about all of this.

Fortunately, I have not been hungry, for breakfast I had 2 slices Ezekiel Bread, 1 egg, 1 slice of bacon, 1/2 slice cheddar, yogurt and strawberries. It was so much!

I hope I am doing all of this right. I don't want to get fat again.
Phase 3 breakfasts are a lot of food after what we've been having, but if the numbers are adding up right, you should be fine. Breakfast is supposed to jumpstart your day.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #14  
reboot 10/14/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewmam View Post
Wow...that makes what you've accomplished with IP even that much more impressive... Good for you!!! and good luck on the thesis - what is your topic?
Thanks! I am studying the estuaries and coastal bays in Massachusetts. nitrogen pollution from our septic tanks are creating algae blooms which are negatively impacting the habitat quality. I am studying the organisms that live in the mud and how water quality effects which species can survive. if we can fix the habitat quality it will bring scallops and other important species back. it has been a long 4 years of snorkeling and running chemical analysis on samples in my lab. I can't wait to defend!!!

If you are interested in learning more you can Google Massachusetts estuaries project. that's my lab
Old 04-18-2012, 11:21 PM   #15  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 164/137/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraBean View Post
Thanks! I am studying the estuaries and coastal bays in Massachusetts. nitrogen pollution from our septic tanks are creating algae blooms which are negatively impacting the habitat quality. I am studying the organisms that live in the mud and how water quality effects which species can survive. if we can fix the habitat quality it will bring scallops and other important species back. it has been a long 4 years of snorkeling and running chemical analysis on samples in my lab. I can't wait to defend!!!

If you are interested in learning more you can Google Massachusetts estuaries project. that's my lab
This sounds really cool! Good luck defending. I'm going into phase 2 tomorrow. Just that is freaking me out. Hang in there. I need you to motivate me!
artflunky is offline   Reply With Quote