Old 04-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 243/139/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Amtrak Travel

I'll be taking Amtrak from Chicago to Los Angeles next week and my ticket price includes meals. Has anyone had experience eating in the Amtrak diner while on IP? I know that the menu is fairly limited. I am quite sure I can find protein items but I am concerned about vegetables. I'm wondering if there is any flexibility there on the part of the dining crew, like possibly substituting extra vegetables for the potato or pasta. If anyone has had experiences on Amtrak, I'd be very interested in hearing them. Thanks!
glomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #2  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Hi glomor,
If you're talking about Amtrak first class meals, they allow you to make special orders if you call them directly more than 24 hours ahead. I don't know about IP meals, but you can ask -- I asked for a vegan meal, and they were happy to provide. But it came in a reheated box and wasn't very appetizing -- the fresh-from-menu meals are much better.

However, the dining attendants are quite flexible about adding other things (ie fruit, etc) if you want something else and just don't eat your carbs. You can also buy food from the meal car, but it's not particularly delicious (and overpriced).
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 243/139/140

Height: 5'5"

Thanks Lackadaisy. I've taken Amtrak many times in the past so I'm familiar with the food. But this will be the first time when I have a "special need." I'm bringing my own WF salad dressings, and some IP protein bars so I think I'll be ok.
glomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/178/160

Height: 5'7"

Glowmor, I traveled 9 hours on Amtrak each way two days last week. I took along a little thermal pack (looks like it holds a sixpack) with some rtd shakes and a few bars. I took seasoned, al dente broccoli and cauliflower florets in a little bag to munch on. And a small jar of dill pickles. And I took water, but they have it on the train. At the end of the day I went out for dinner and had enormous green salads and "naked" meat -- chicken, fish, and small steaks.
YankeeLady57 is offline   Reply With Quote