Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

LL Bean has a daily deal and today they had white jeans for 4.99 (originally 49.99)!!! Problem is they only had sizes 12 and up! It was the first time I was bummed about not being at least a 12!!! LOL...But that passed quickly 'cause yesterday I order a pair of skinny jeans from them (of course on sale) in a size 8 and a size 10...I'll return the larger ones...
Old 04-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #32  
Started IP August 1, 2011

S/C/G: 218/158/160

We had t-ball practice this evening, so I've had distractions to keep my mind occupied. I've had dinner and now I'm about to indulge in an Atkins choc chip cookie dough bar. I sure hope that satisfies my craving. I may have popcorn for breakfast tomorrow.... maybe. I'm not usually this strict and have been having little bites of things here and there, but the last 2 days have been different. I wasn't even hungry when I wanted to eat that stuff. I wanted to eat it just to eat it. Maybe it's stress or hormones. Thanks for listening to me today.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #33  
Maintaining since 11/8/11

S/C/G: 170/141.5/140

Height: 5'7"

JellyMae, you are looking fantastic! Rock those shorts!
Old 04-04-2012, 05:32 AM   #34  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricious View Post
PS Darbs- You've done awesome- so happy for you that you and your pants are in a good place! And I can't wait to find out the scale results (although the pants fitting is probably a much better way to measure success cause that's what it's all about anyway).
Thank you....I feel so good...10 perfect days of phase 1....I am dying to see what that scale says, but I will resist! I am breaking that dependency....I have two more perfect days and then I will weigh-in Friday morning and start to ease out of ketosis for my mini-vaca starting Sunday night until Wednesday night.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #35  
Maile

S/C/G: 242/130/130

Height: 5'6

darbs..I am glad your reboot is going well. 10 days is great.

What I find that really helps me with cravings is to eat things that I really really like..When I want pizza I make a low carb version. Unfortunately that also means that I am still using WF syrup for pancakes. I tend to indulge my cravings in some low carb fashion. If I really want something I find a way to eat it.

Paintlady and New EnglanderL you guys are strong cleaning house and distracting yourself to avoid cravings. The odd part is that the cravings are so emotional and so intense..and is the food really as good as we crave or think?

Cap..you are right about finding the overindulgence verses indulgence limits.
I don't do free days either.

Momto2cs: are people used to seeing you eat low carb and would not want to see you eating a fry?

Jellymae you do look thin and wonderful!

Busymom: Your husband sounds like he is doing fine..I use my own vitamins.I found that I had to add more food back as I kept losing in Phase 4.

Last edited by Maile; 04-04-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #36  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricious View Post
Thought I should take the time to expand upon my very brief post...
pxlkitty- I know where you're at. ...

There are times when I'm tracking that I eat 40% of my RDI and it almost never went over 60%. With my stats and exercise taken into account I'm 'supposed' to be able to eat 2000-2500 calories but was finding that I was intaking closer to 1400 on a daily basis...
Thanks for sharing. I just go SO annoyed with seeing the calorie deficit everyday in fatsecret and then feeling guilty as **** on my cheat day. I was eating around 1200-1400 calories most days, and burning close to 2100...

I think the guilt came mostly because I was having a cheat day and I really shouldn't have been given that I am outside my weight range... And then the vicious cycle starts again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
Pxlkitty
I hope you come up with a comfortable solution. I feel similar. Even in maintenance I never really added back many high carb foods, and any time I even considered to people would question me. I really like low carb, but I also like an occasional fry!
Now back in phase 1 I feel like I need to sneak food, and seriously struggle with thoughts to lose more. I am supporting dh in phase 1, but he eats a lots of extras and is still doing well. I feel guilt. And can see a future of extreme strict eating alternating with binging. I don't like that idea.
Yes, this is part of my frustration right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple sky View Post
Actually, what you and others are sharing is very, very helpful for someone like me who will be moving into maintenance next month and was a little nervous about the future. This thread is helping me to have a picture of my future and that is very helpful. I have been looking into diets like Paleo and others with whole foods and minimally processed items to see if I can find some recipes I would like to try. I have had the funniest cravings for things like fruits, nuts and quinoia. Will see if I jump to burger, fries and cake.
So... I think you sorta hit the nail on the head.

Now that i've been kicking things around in my head for a few days, here is what I have come up with... everyone, please forgive me if this seems like a rant, I am "in therapy" here with you guys so feel like I can open up. I hope that is ok!?

IP is a means to an end. When we are on the program, there is a hypocrisy in that we say that we are eating "healthy" food. If you look at the real food in the protein meal, then yes, I agree. It is healthy food. But, seriously, people read the packets. Splenda... Acesulfame potassium. These are not things that I want to eat for the rest of my life.

When I first considered the diet, I thought it was dangerous b/c I looked at all the ingredients and really didn't agree that they were something that I wanted to eat. But, I was desperate, so I told myself that I could do it "while on the diet" and then go back to eating real food.

So, here I am... 6.5 months into maintenance. I have been buying Nashua food rather than IP, and still using up old IP packets that I still have. I've been buying Atkins bars and shakes... and professing to the world how healthy I am. I am a total hyprocite! The exact things that I told myself were a "means to an end" became, quite simply, a crutch.

So, where am I now?? For breakfast, I still enjoy greek yogurt and berries and granola. Today I even had toast (for the first time in a very long time). I do eat eggs, but still have a mental block in terms of fat so very, very rarely do I eat bacon.

Lunch -- I am ok with the carb-free lunch. I really like salad, and most of the time that is my go-to option for lunch. Over the weekend, though, I had a tiny plate of homemade enchiladas... Is it going to kill me? No... Then why did I feel such guilt and shame when I put that plate of leftovers in the microwave?

Dinner -- most of the time, I am ok with the Phase1-ish dinner. However, there are days when I really want to make enchiladas with a little bit of cheese on top, eat tortilla chips with my salsa, and have a glass of wine.

Snacks -- here is the biggest problem for me... The "snack" thing has to change. I have bars and drinks and shakes and crap galore... I has protein, but it also has artificial sweeteners and ingredients that I can't pronounce.

I really want to tell people that I follow a very healthy lifestyle, but until I stop using these things as a crutch, I think I have to stop. I need to eat greek yogurt, nuts, cheese... things with protein that are also REAL food. When I have accomplished that and I'm maintaining my weight, then I have succeeded.

So, this week I decided to do the following:
- I ate a piece of toast in the afternoon. OMG. I'm a rebel.
- I ate two mini dove dark chocolate easter eggs. And I'm still alive.
- I chose greek yogurt over an IP-type product for my after dinner snack.
- I ate blueberries at night when I wanted something sweet. I split a whole pint with my son. (Hey, at least it wasn't a pint of ice cream).
- I ate a frozen yogurt popsicle just because I wanted it.
- I made corn-based enchiladas totally from scratch. They were delicious.
- I made green tomatillo salsa and served it on chicken and ate it with tortilla chips and grilled vegetables.
- I ate cake and french bread at my cooking club. They both had wheat flour!
- I ate a mini Belgian chocolate ice cream bar because I had worked in the garden for half the day and I deserved it.
- I ate a few french fries off my husband's plate!

These things are all ok, and yet I felt terrible when I did them all.

After all that? What do I have to show on the scale??? I'm still within 1.5 lbs of when I started eating differently and, more importantly, my pants still fit. Now if only I can do these things without feeling guilty or like I'm going to spin out of control...

I'm still on this journey. I don't know if it will ever end. IP taught us that losing weight was VERY different than maintaining weight... I'm still figuring out where I might end up, but I am going to continue to experiment. Thanks to everyone for listening.

Last edited by Pxlkitty4; 04-04-2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 197.5/143.2/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 View Post
Thanks for sharing. I just go SO annoyed with seeing the calorie deficit everyday in fatsecret and then feeling guilty as **** on my cheat day. I was eating around 1200-1400 calories most days, and burning close to 2100...

I think the guilt came mostly because I was having a cheat day and I really shouldn't have been given that I am outside my weight range... And then the vicious cycle starts again...

Now that i've been kicking things around in my head for a few days, here is what I have come up with... everyone, please forgive me if this seems like a rant, I am "in therapy" here with you guys so feel like I can open up. I hope that is ok!?

IP is a means to an end. When we are on the program, there is a hypocrisy in that we say that we are eating "healthy" food. If you look at the real food in the protein meal, then yes, I agree. It is healthy food. But, seriously, people read the packets. Splenda... Acesulfame potassium. These are not things that I want to eat for the rest of my life.

When I first considered the diet, I thought it was dangerous b/c I looked at all the ingredients and really didn't agree that they were something that I wanted to eat. But, I was desperate, so I told myself that I could do it "while on the diet" and then go back to eating real food.

So, here I am... 6.5 months into maintenance. I have been buying Nashua food rather than IP, and still using up old IP packets that I still have. I've been buying Atkins bars and shakes... and professing to the world how healthy I am. I am a total hyprocite! The exact things that I told myself were a "means to an end" became, quite simply, a crutch.

So, where am I now?? For breakfast, I still enjoy greek yogurt and berries and granola. Today I even had toast (for the first time in a very long time). I do eat eggs, but still have a mental block in terms of fat so very, very rarely do I eat bacon.

Lunch -- I am ok with the carb-free lunch. I really like salad, and most of the time that is my go-to option for lunch. Over the weekend, though, I had a tiny plate of homemade enchiladas... Is it going to kill me? No... Then why did I feel such guilt and shame when I put that plate of leftovers in the microwave?

Dinner -- most of the time, I am ok with the Phase1-ish dinner. However, there are days when I really want to make enchiladas with a little bit of cheese on top, eat tortilla chips with my salsa, and have a glass of wine.

Snacks -- here is the biggest problem for me... The "snack" thing has to change. I have bars and drinks and shakes and crap galore... I has protein, but it also has artificial sweeteners and ingredients that I can't pronounce.

I really want to tell people that I follow a very healthy lifestyle, but until I stop using these things as a crutch, I think I have to stop. I need to eat greek yogurt, nuts, cheese... things with protein that are also REAL food. When I have accomplished that and I'm maintaining my weight, then I have succeeded.

- I ate blueberries at night when I wanted something sweet. I split a whole pint with my son. (Hey, at least it wasn't a pint of ice cream).
- I made green tomatillo salsa and served it on chicken and ate it with tortilla chips and grilled vegetables.
- I ate a mini Belgian chocolate ice cream bar because I had worked in the garden for half the day and I deserved it.

After all that? What do I have to show on the scale??? I'm still within 1.5 lbs of when I started eating differently and, more importantly, my pants still fit. Now if only I can do these things without feeling guilty or like I'm going to spin out of control...

I'm still on this journey. I don't know if it will ever end. IP taught us that losing weight was VERY different than maintaining weight... I'm still figuring out where I might end up, but I am going to continue to experiment. Thanks to everyone for listening.

I love having your honesty on this thread! I have been faithfully lurking on Maintainers, as I realize the REAL battle will be there. We are all facing difficult emotional issues that have been intertwined with food for various reasons. When I am honest with myself, I figure at 56 this will realistically always be a struggle for me, so wish it wasn't but, hey, people in **** want ice water!
Know your struggle is oh so familiar with all of us here, and many thanks again for all your honesty!

Last edited by MaMaZu; 04-04-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #38  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxlkitty4 View Post

Pxl, I completely respect you for speaking your mind and throwing it all out there. I normally don't post on maintainer's thread because after all, i'm still on my IP journey. However, I have thought and researched A LOT about how I will maintain. This is only my personal opinion.

I think a low carb diet is great to get the weight off, BUT to maintain seems unrealistic and to me- miserable. There are exceptions of course to those who have gluten allergies and choose to avoid most wheat. I've seen a lot of blogs and articles on the importance of whole foods, organic foods, and raw foods. As long as you have a balanced diet, meaning correct proportions and right food groups, along with being active, you're healthy! I'm not saying go out and eat whatever your heart desires because for most of us carbs are what got us here in the first place, but why cut them all out? I believe we can maintain and still add them back in moderation.

I've had people ask me "How are you getting healthy by eating processed, artificial food?" And it's actually embarrasing when I dont know how to answer besides the causual "It's only to get the weight off" I'm extremely thankful for IP, however do not want to lean on it my whole life. Even Dr. Tran says in his book to maintain, eat a balanced diet with the right food combinations for best possible digestion.

Stop feeling guilty for having something completely normal! Use healthier alternatives and try to avoid using processed and packaged foods with ingredients you can't pronounce!

Last edited by CassiR; 04-04-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:02 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Height: 5'8"

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. We are potty training and it is easily the most stressful mommyhood experience I've had. I read all your posts and appreciate that we have this forum to share our thoughts and experiences. Pxl I really feel or you. Now that I am back in maintenance, I am having a difficult time figuring out what I can eat that is satisfying that won't cause the scale to move. We've had full-on cheat days the past two Saturdays and I realize doing that is just ridiculous. I need to find a way to not feel deprived during the week so I won't overdo it on the weekend. And I agree with you on the bars and shakes, they are fake food, I'd like to get away from them as a staple. Because I am recently coming off the reboot, my obsession with the scale is not healthy. So many things to work on. Thank you all for being here and sharing.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #40  
Started IP 2/25/2011...

S/C/G: 204.5/ 145.0 /145.0

Height: 5' 5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpassport View Post
Sorry I haven't posted in a while. We are potty training and it is easily the most stressful mommyhood experience I've had. I read all your posts and appreciate that we have this forum to share our thoughts and experiences. Pxl I really feel or you. Now that I am back in maintenance, I am having a difficult time figuring out what I can eat that is satisfying that won't cause the scale to move. We've had full-on cheat days the past two Saturdays and I realize doing that is just ridiculous. I need to find a way to not feel deprived during the week so I won't overdo it on the weekend. And I agree with you on the bars and shakes, they are fake food, I'd like to get away from them as a staple. Because I am recently coming off the reboot, my obsession with the scale is not healthy. So many things to work on. Thank you all for being here and sharing.
I feel for you... potty training is NO fun. But, trust me, they get it in the end.

I'm glad that I'm not alone. Try not to obsess and keep everything in perspective. I had toast AND granola this morning. Feeling rebelious again...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #41  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

I think a low carb diet is a reasonable long term diet-if it is acceptable to you.

I am all for trying to get off the pre packaged food, but I see whey protein being a continued part of my diet.

I am also really trying to embrace fat, as everything I read now says that fat does not make us fat. I would be much happier on a long term diet of meat cheese and veggies than toast fruit and yogurt.

I think it is also much easier to maintain if you are reasonable in choosing a goal weight. I could maintain where I am, but I still want to hit 140...maintaining that will be much more difficult. I already exercise 6-8 hours a week, I don't have any more time for that!

I recently read the dukan diet. He has different options for maintenance, depending on lifestyle. I know mine will be more like Darby's. Periods of focused dieting...with regular weeks being 5 low carb lower calorie days and 2 flexible days.

I really believe that low carb is heathy, that sugar and wheat and white carbs are unhealthy. But I grew up eating potatoes, etc and I miss them sometimes!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Hey-do any of you still weigh in with a coach? If so, how often?
I have booked weigh ins for April to try to have one last push to my goal. I am thinking after I might go monthly...I did something like that all last year. The threat of bring weighed and measured helps keep me honest...
Old 04-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #43  
Started IP Jan 6, 2012

S/C/G: 159/134/125

Height: 5'5''

Default Phase 2

Lost 2.5 lbs this week ...moving to Phase 2!! WOOHOOO!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatetolosegirl View Post
Lost 2.5 lbs this week ...moving to Phase 2!! WOOHOOO!
Yah!!! I just finished my first week in P2. It's means we're nearing the end of our weight loss journey and moving on to the ever evolving maintenance puzzle!!!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 170/138/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2cs View Post
Hey-do any of you still weigh in with a coach? If so, how often?
I have booked weigh ins for April to try to have one last push to my goal. I am thinking after I might go monthly...I did something like that all last year. The threat of bring weighed and measured helps keep me honest...
My coach is now having all her P4 people weigh in every two weeks for 2-3 months after starting P4. It's definitely motivating me to keep my numbers down.
Closed Thread