Old 03-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 146/131/128

Height: 5'4

Default How does your clinic do things?

Hi- I'm a coach and I know how we do things here at our clinic, but I'm curious about how other IP clinics do things. At our clinic, we have a free educational weight loss workshop once every other week that is required to begin the program. During this seminar, the interested dieters learn about how the protocol works and about insulin, carbs, and the body. After the workshop, anyone who wants to start then schedules a one-hour appointment, during which we go over their health profile and explain Phase 1 of the protocol to them, and they purchase their week 1 food & vitamins.

How did it work at your clinic (how did you start the program)?

Thanks in advance for your input
lkander2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkander2 View Post
Hi- I'm a coach and I know how we do things here at our clinic, but I'm curious about how other IP clinics do things. At our clinic, we have a free educational weight loss workshop once every other week that is required to begin the program. During this seminar, the interested dieters learn about how the protocol works and about insulin, carbs, and the body. After the workshop, anyone who wants to start then schedules a one-hour appointment, during which we go over their health profile and explain Phase 1 of the protocol to them, and they purchase their week 1 food & vitamins.

My clinic is very similar. We had the 1-2 hour seminar/workshop for those of us who had no idea what the program was about. This is usually like every other Saturday i've come to notice.
After the workshop, my main coach sets up the clients individually with the other coaches and they do the body composition and answer any questions or concerns. We talked about when would be my official start date, what it would be like and then schedule the first WI appointment. They charged me about $375 (including $40 off for attending the workshop) and that also included 10 days of free food, the shaker, salt and all the bottles of vitamins. The food was the most popular and liked food that normal clients usually order. If you can't pay the whole starting cost up front, they said to just talk to them and they will figure out a payment plan. I paid half that day and then the other half at my next WI.
Overall, a great environment. They said we could start whenever we wanted and I decided to start the next day (Sunday) and most the other people wanted to start that Monday.
My main coach called or text me every day for that first week to see how I was doing. Anytime I had a question she was right there right away to help me through it. After the first week, she didnt call anymore but I really didnt need it. I can still email them anytime and one of them will answer back normally within the hour.

Last edited by CassiR; 03-19-2012 at 02:09 PM.
CassiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

There has been much discussion here about how different clinics/coaches are when it comes to IP. I called and made an appointment to discuss the plan. I was given a brochure and told the basics of the plan being 4 phases. I was given a medical profile to fill out and bring back when I had my initial WI and selected foods. The only reason I knew anything at all about the plan was due to research I had done prior to my first appointment. I must say that the office did not charge a consultation fee, although I believe I would have gladly paid a fee for a better introduction. My consultation was one week before I started the paln...I returned the following week with my medical profile....which was not looked at and told to pick my food for the first week. I had no idea how many boxes I needed to pick, I was sold some vitamins and a shaker and sent on my way. I had to call the office and ask for some kind of guidline which was when my phase 1 sheet was faxed to me along with a food diary. And oh yeah...when I asked about the restricted IP foods I was told nothing was restricted, pick any 3 boxes I wanted.

Needless to say all the education I have received about IP has come from 3FC and all the great people here. The only time my coach called to check on me was when I had missed two WI's because I quit going there. I was fortunate enough to stock up on IP product and am now going it alone. When I run out of IP products I will most likely go to alternatives or perhaps try and buy from IP2go online. I recommend the program highly but never tell anyone about my "coach". Who by the way, was usually too busy with his chiropractic patients to even see me on my WI days.

Last edited by MustangMolly; 03-19-2012 at 01:52 PM.
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/ticker/135

Height: 5'1

my experience was right in the middle of CassiR and MustangMolly.
I contacted the clinic myself to set up an initial consult. They emailed me the forms which I brought with me filled out to my appointment. We went over the program (though I was 90% sure I was going to start) this all being with the "coach" I got a starter kit that had 3 weeks worth of food (1-2 packets of most everything) the shaker, salt and one of each supplement. I paid $300. I believe the consult was $50 but it was waived if you signed up for the program. The "doctor" came in to introduce himself, tell how it had worked with him but most of my interaction is with the "coach"

I liked getting 1-2 of everything, it allowed me to try out a bunch without committing to 7 but I wish my clinic would allow you to trade individual packets in. I HATE blueberry and banana flavors and had to sell them on ebay
le506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 231/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:

I am learning from this forum that there is huge variability in how each clinic does things. I attended an informational meeting at no charge. If u attend that there is no joining fee. At the first visit the health profile was reviewed. The first pack of food was a sampler of most of the nonrestricteds plus the supplements, the salt, and a shaker for about $200. Weighing are no charge, but ther is little or no counseling going on. The chiro is the coach. No emails or texts or phone calls. Weigh in process takes less than five min. A week before each new phase he hands us the client info sheet and the coach info sheet and the next week asks if we have questions. Hubby is at goal and I am phased off temporarily for surgery. And both still losing. Yay. Good news is that I have a bit of a science background and can figure out some of the biochemical stuff.
swimcoachmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

* 1.5 hour seminar with prospective clients, with presentation and sampling of IP foods)

* Interested ppl schedule appointments (cool idea the clinic has appointment dates and times which are available on sheets of paper and you pick which one you want and then bring it to them to schedule). This made it easy for both us and them as there were dozens of ppl their).

* $350 start up fee covers first week of food with all needed supplements to get started plus shaker, and salt and some other little things).

* First consultation 1 hour. Then 15 minute weekly f/u meetings and 1/2 hour for meeting with measuring. First 3 months include biometric testing and after that it's 15/month or 5/measurement. All scales and measurements are free...
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:41 PM   #7  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

By chance I saw Ideal Protein mentioned online. I was looking for something else. Long story. Anyway, I called to ask questions but in the mean time I looked up as much as I could online. I went to the next intro. meeting they had which answered any other questions I had.

I was uneasy about packets and processed foods and artificial sugar. But, I was very impressed with the overall program and the coaches seemed really nice. Liked them off the bat. We signed up like the next week and met with our coach who continued to answer a lot of questions. We were charged $299 (discounted for being a couple I think) each which included all the supplements and a weeks worth of food. Our clinic allows us to get individual packets which I am thankful for since we have tried nearly every product that IP offers.

Everyone there has gone through the program. The 2 coaches have had great success. Kept the weight or most of it off for like a year or two. They both found this diet at times when they were beyond frustrated and absolutely nothing else worked.

I text my coach whenever I had a question or concern.

This is a side note but I personally like their knowledge about health issues and concerns beyond IP. I now go to the clinic for other services. We seem to share knowledge and beliefs. I say this because some other health providers misunderstand this diet or refuse to listen to my explanation and judge and label me. I have found this to be true in both traditional and alternative medicine. Criticism helps no one. People need solutions.

They are not selly and are aware the program is a big financial investement.

I think my coach, day 1, did everything she could to try and discourage me from the diet including going into some unpleasant possible side effects. They were firm on us being very commited. I believe this is part of Dr. Tran's teachings. And they did not want anyone in this program who is not commited. I now understand that is because this is a serious financial investment and the protocol is very, very strict. It requires a huge commitment.

I was told from day 1 that anything they could not answer they would go above to regional or something to get the answer.

Oh, they are also minutes from me so I guess it was meant to be.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 178/145/135

Height: 5'6"

I saw a sign on the window of the chiro office when I went to the post office so I called. My first day I filled out a profile and went over the cost with the chiro and discussed some health issues. For $250.00 I received a week's worth of foods, the shaker, supplements, and salt. I ahave received very little support. When I go for my WI's the chiro comes out to see results and ask if I have any questions, but this is awkward because it is in a common room and he usually has a patient behind a curtain. There is no privacy and no individual meeting. My WI's are done in that same room with results broadcast to everyone within hearing distance. Also, when I get my WI and measurements I asked if I should take off my heavy sweater but they said no and measured around the bulkiness. This made it look like I had lost more when I no longer needed the heavy clothes. I saw a flyer regarding a meeting but no one has ever given me one or told me about these meetings so I am not sure what they involve. I would just stop going and do this on my own but I so want to make it to phase 2 before making that decision and since I am more than halfway there now I think I will ride it out until then. Besides, his receptionist who does the WI's is also on the plan and we discuss isues. I learned so much more from this forum - this is the place that has given me support, knowledge and the courage to continue.
chshedtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/225(First Goal)

Height: 5'8"

Quote:

I like the idea of workshops, the clinic I go to has been awesome, I can call them anytime with questions, they have all been on plan so are familiar with how it works..I have lost 22 lbs since 2/22/12 so they are doing something right
Diana B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

I went to a presentation at two different clinics after hearing about the program from my primary care MD, who had gone to a presentation for doctors and thought it was medically sound. I was pre-diabetic, 300 pds and with chronic fatigue, I was simply unable to exercise my way out of it, so this program became a life saver for me, literally. The fact that he approved helped me to feel safer in my choice.

I'm glad I went to two IP clinics because at one, the nurse who gave the talk spent 80% of the time talking about people who cheat and how she always knows and bla bla bla, and the other clinic was the one I ended up choosing, a chiropractic clinic. The atmosphere was completely different. The people were knowledgeable, friendly and supportive, and excited about health.

The presentations were free and I think they had little samples to taste at the one I chose. Once you signed up, the initial workup was $90. You then bought a bag with almost one packet of everything, supplements, shaker and salt - don't remember the exact cost, but it was whatever the individual packets would have cost. Initially, they only sold whole boxes, but over time they switched to packets, which was a great improvement and encourages people to try new things.

I saw my coach every week (no charge) and she really was very helpful. I didn't think that keeping a log was going to work, but it helped me to see just what I was eating. It's easy to forget. I could write my comments, questions, weekly weight, etc., and see progress over time. They had handouts of recipes that either the staff or clients had created, which helped. I created lots of new ones myself and got into a routine after a few weeks that served me for 14 months. They also had a potluck where clients and staff came with food prepared either with IP or in the protocal and that was great!

They had the gizmo for doing the metabolic rate, water %, etc., but I'm not sure how reliable a measurement they are. One instrument was free, then they got a fancier one and charged.

One area that could use improvement is to help people figure out when it is time to stop. I know it's a personal choice, but for me, I was about 155 pds, but after seeing 2 plastic surgeons and being told I had about 20 pds of excess skin, decided my virtual weight of 135 was a better measure of my BMI and the fact that I could wear size 10 jeans. That's when I chose to start the phase-out. Otherwise, I just didn't know how to decide. I'm thinking you could go too far with this, to an unhealthy state, and with people who have had a disconnect with their bodies for years, it is difficult to tell by the mirror or the scale.

Another area that could use help is the skin - if there are ways to minimize the excess skin during the process, it would be helpful. In my case, I'm 59 so my skin is not as elastic as it used to be and losing 145 pds, it was inevitable. But there is not alot out there on the internet about how to help with this, so any research IP can do would be appreciated.

Now I'm in Phase 3, have started exercising and my coach has shown me some simple things I can do to target the excess skin areas, etc. This program has saved my life and I am so very grateful for it.

In my case, my initial coach went to a different clinic and I got another coach, who was just as wonderful. The coach can become an important person to you throughout this journey. When I hear about coaches on this board who chastise and denigrate people who have cheated or are struggling, I want to scream. We are grown women and don't need to be treated this way. Respect, knowledge, support, ideas, creativity...that's what we need in a coach.

Sorry for the long post. This program has meant a lot to me. Thank you for wanting to improve your program!
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 146/131/128

Height: 5'4

Thanks for the responses, everyone! It sounds like most of the "good" (supportive) clinics have the same approach that we do. My concern is for the people who are unable to make it to a workshop because of work conflicts and don't want to pay the hefty fee for getting what is essentially a private workshop session- there isn't another clinic in the area so those people are just SOL. Of course I want everyone who wants to do the program to be able to start- not only to help keep our IP clinic in business, but to make the program available to anyone who is interested, regardless of conflicts. Your posts gave me some ideas. Thanks again!
lkander2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'2"

First of all I have to say that I am good friends with the chiropractor that I started the program with. I don't want anyone to be mislead. That being said I can still tell you how to program works there because I am treated no different than any other client.

I attended a meeting which they have every two weeks. Since I have lost as much weight as I have I am now a guest speaker many weeks. That was one thing that I really liked about the first meeting is there was someone there that could talk about their experience with the program. The initial meeting lasted an hour or so and then he opened it up for questions and depending on how many there were it was over. He always has many different types of the foods for you to test. At the end of the meeting if you want to start the program then you just sign up for your consultation. *I believe that if you attend the meeting and you sign up that night that you get half off your consultation. I am not sure about this because as I stated before I am really good friends with my coach.

Then once I started weighing in I go every week at the same time. I get weighed every week and measured every other week. For the first I believe 12 weeks they would have questions that they would ask me and I would have to answer them to make sure that I was learning things.

I hope this helps and gives you an idea of how the clinic I go to works.
kneurohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #13  
TLF

My clinic didn't have a workshop scheduled when I was ready to start and I didn't want to wait! My coach has been nothing short of amazing. She calls me daily and I can call her 24/7...though I wouldn't. She NEVER rushes me off the phone. I am amazed at the investment she is making in my success.
TLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 254/229.5/190

Height: 5"8

Well my first clinic was an interesting one, the second one is ok, still I would expect that what I’m paying I would have a bit more support. My first clinic when I went to register they read a script (could not answer my questions) and accepted my $200+, it was very silly the woman who ran the IP would ‘forget’ about appointments and I would have to have my WI done by the secretary.
The second clinic and the one I go to now, also accepts your $ without question. She sometimes has answers for you, but at least she tries to find out what the answer is. HOWEVER they are always trying to sell me more, which I don’t like and she books appointments very close together so you are always rushed.
First understand I’m a social worker, so that’s why my suggestion is the way it is. This is a journey for people. Weight loss is a daily battle, there is no escaping it ever, and there are temptations all over. You need to get to know your clients, what they do for a living, children, travel, cooking patterns etc. This will help you give them tips and tricks to be successful. Also please from a clients view take a VALID INTEREST in your clients. You need to be able to support and encourage your clients. That’s all I have to say lol
Billster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #15  
Peggy

S/C/G: 191/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

My clinic is part of a OB/GYN clinic. They hold a monthly informational session. I didn't attend the meeting but was able to get an appointment and since my consultation was the day after the monthly info session my consultation fee was waived. When I go in I sign in like I would for a regular doctor's appointment and see the diet nurse. I typically spend about 10-15 minutes with the nurse going over my food journal, and any concerns I might have. I then tell her what I want and see the receptionist to pay and set up my next appointment.
Magicpinecone is offline   Reply With Quote