Old 03-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #46  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanym View Post
I got the PGX fiber when it was first introduced, and it does work well. However, it made me extremely constipated and I had to quit taking it.

http://www.pgx.com/us/en/articles/a108/benefits-of-pgx
Bummer. Looked like something that might help with maintenance.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple sky View Post
I think some of you guys might like Blood Sugar Solution with Dr. Mark Hyman. It's on PBS but you may want to google it.

He mentioned some kind of product that assists in soaking up sugars and fats in your gut.
Polyglyoplex. PGX? Seaweed and a Japanese root. Prevents spikes in blood sugar. He said it also helps unhealthy food cravings. As soon as I heard that I thought of stuff you guys mentioned. I bet he talks about it in his book. Because I just caught this in passing. I recorded and will watch later.

He also uses the term, Diabesity.

Also, he said stress makes us fat. (I had that) He said a lot that I think might interest you. He just made a lot of sense and it fit with what we are learning about in IP.

I am waiting for the day when restaurants will follow suit and offer low glycemic foods or present platters in the proper food combinations. Half veggies, 1/4 starch. All this cooking keeps my kitchen in a mess.
I haven't watched that special, but I did see Doctor Oz recommend PGX. It has konjac root in it and other things I can't remember. I have been taking it for about a month - got it on Amazon because I couldn't find locally.

Cooking has been one of the joys for me. I used to love to cook, but with feeling like crap most of the time, I'd blow it off or just say "I'm too tired..." and grab whatever frozen or convenience food I could. For the past year, I've had to cook everything from scratch, and I love it! The creativity really comes out, and ultimately, it is cheaper than any prepacked foods. I'll always enjoy a frozen pizza every now and then, but I may even try to make my own crust...whole grain of course!

Last edited by Sewmam; 03-19-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #48  

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple sky View Post
Bummer. Looked like something that might help with maintenance.
hmmm....that may be why I've been even more constipated than before...

But, I'm taking walks now, having aloe jelly (which helps bowels), digestive enzymes, butyrate (supposed to help with colon health) and my daily dose of sand, as I call psyllium. Seems to be helping...
Old 03-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #49  

S/C/G: 198/154/139

Height: 5'6"

Love WTBDWK and Down the Rabbit Hole!

Getting at the subconscious and old established wiring is tough. Just what I am trying to tackle with EBT and meditation. Not necessarily an easy process as this has been a survival mode for me for some time.

Hope I come to crave my veggies!
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 231/218/1??

Height: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Along the lines of neuroplasticity and the ability of the brain to change itself, I would really like to learn more about "emotional brain training" to treat compulsive eating.

Just watched a video about it from USC.

http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=18565

Sure, I eat to much. But, there are very real reasons that are behind that and they are legitimate.
I read the book the brain that changes itself. It is an interesting story and
Makes a great case for neuroplasticity
Lettuce wrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #51  

In my research today, came across interesting information on the effectiveness of meditation to curb cravings, reduce stress and even raise metabolism! I am going to aim for a few short sessions every day. What interesting paths has IP has lead down!

Had some cravings today after I pulled a muscle in my back. Wow, how "food as comfort" programmed am I?? Managed to indulge in salad rather than a bad choice.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #52  
IP/Atkins Hybrid

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
In my research today, came across interesting information on the effectiveness of meditation to curb cravings, reduce stress and even raise metabolism! I am going to aim for a few short sessions every day. What interesting paths has IP has lead down!

Had some cravings today after I pulled a muscle in my back. Wow, how "food as comfort" programmed am I?? Managed to indulge in salad rather than a bad choice.
I would love to meditate, but I doubt my 7 cats would give me a moment to myself!

Sorry to hear about your back, but am glad you recognized the reason behind the craving and avoided it!
bethanym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:10 PM   #53  

Okay, 7 cats might be a bit distracting. I have 9 dogs though and they have been pretty cooperative!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #54  
IP/Atkins Hybrid

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Okay, 7 cats might be a bit distracting. I have 9 dogs though and they have been pretty cooperative!
Yours are probably better behaved than mine, lol.
bethanym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:51 PM   #55  
Started IP 12/30/11

S/C/G: 160/125/130 Phase 4!!!

Height: 5'

Quote:
Along the lines of neuroplasticity and the ability of the brain to change itself, I would really like to learn more about "emotional brain training" to treat compulsive eating.

Just watched a video about it from USC.

http://www.uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=18565

Sure, I eat to much. But, there are very real reasons that are behind that and they are legitimate.
Wow...good stuff. I am pretty much blown away. Yes, I have the funny wiring. The brain states (mid way through video) are especially interesting. I know I get down to 4's and 5's and that when trouble hits. Never heard it all explained so well.

So many just say, go exercise and meditate and eat right and you are like, hunh? It's not that easy but I feel it will become easier. Especially since IP helps to address a lot of the nutritional aspects as well we some emotional (less sugar, better mood). Makes it easier to focus and address other areas of concern in our lives.
purple sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #56  

S/C/G: 168.6/159.5/125

Height: 5' 1.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksmy View Post
Mental journey is right! Today I went shopping and I wanted so bad to be in a size 14, no go! I keep hearing in my head what a fat cow you still are....
Losing 23 lbs and still a fat cow. I know I should be saying WOW 23 lbs gone and you are in a size 16....2 sizes down. Nothing I have fits but I am still not seeing a smaller me. Why do we torture ourselves?
I had this moment this weekend as well! I started sort of dieting around Valentines and lost 3 lbs. I started IP exactly 1 month ago and now I'm down almost 18lbs! I'm finally out of 16's and into 14's and even one pair of 12s. All day Saturday I was so sad that I couldn't be out celebrating St. Patty's day and drinking green beer (Please don't judge me HA I'm not an alcoholic but there are certain occassions my friends and I drink on and this is one of them, hello I'm a redhead LOL) so to cheer me up my fiance took me out shopping. I was able to get a large shirt instead of XL and that made me happy. But then I made the mistake of trying on a pair of size 15 junior's shorts. EPIC FAIL. I was large and in charge not what I expected. I was so disappointed in myself.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience. It is good to know I'm not the only one that has felt like this. But I'm going to work on NOT being so hard on myself and you should too You rock for losing 23lbs and trust me you will be in those 14s before you know it!!!!!!!!!!
bride2be113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #57  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

LOVE YOURSELF no matter what size you are!!!....you are improving yourself, never be disappointed in yourself.....LOVE YOU no matter what....THIS is who you are.....Every day you will learn how to IMPROVE yourself, think POSITIVE....NEGATIVE thoughts take more energy...takes more muscles to frown SOOOOO turn that frown UPSIDE down and SMILE!!!!!
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #58  

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuv2bloved View Post
LOVE YOURSELF no matter what size you are!!!....you are improving yourself, never be disappointed in yourself.....LOVE YOU no matter what....THIS is who you are.....Every day you will learn how to IMPROVE yourself, think POSITIVE....NEGATIVE thoughts take more energy...takes more muscles to frown SOOOOO turn that frown UPSIDE down and SMILE!!!!!
Absotively !!!

re. the special things like St. Paddy's day or Thanksgiving or .... it is just a meal. There will be time for that in the future. The temporary pleasure you get from it now, when it is not allowed, is not as good as the feeling of accomplishment from doing what you know in your heart is healthy. The guilt and feeling of failure is just not worth it.

I actually went out of town to my niece's wedding after 5 months on Phase 1, and didn't cheat! Brought my own cooler with food. Eating out with the others was tricky, as restaurants rarely have enough of the good stuff, but I did it. Somehow I did it...

Last edited by Sewmam; 03-22-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:06 PM   #59  

Just because we can not "consume" as usual does not mean we can not celebrate! I think I have missed out on the essence of many holidays because I was so focused on the items I would be consuming for the season!!

Of course , EBT, Is not an IP tool. It is something separate that I think might help me. I am appreciative of the IP diet for a great way to lose weight, a great way for me to pull out if a carb spiral, a great way of eating the results in much more mental clarity for me!

My first group session with EBT is on Wednesday. Haven't gotten my materials yet.

I hurt my back a couple of days ago. I found I really wanted comfort in food. Every little realization is good. I had memories coming up from childhood too. I remembered that often when I wanted some sort of attention, my mom woiuld send me outside with a plate of sandwiches......white bread, butter and white sugar between slices! Oh my, wowser. Just the sort of stuff that triggers the pleasure centers in the brain!

Interesting stuff about this at...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/28...ain/index.html

Last edited by Samba; 03-23-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:02 PM   #60  

Gosh... Have to repeat post. Ooops.

Just watched a really good video by Dr. Doug Lisle, PhD!

Anyone who has felt the pull of calorie rich refined foods might like the information here.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxf4k...e_gdata_player

I downloaded the kindle version of his book, The Pleasure Trap: Mastering the Hidden Force that Undermines Health and Happiness, and will "devour" tonight.

Anyone else familiar with the research or program?

Last edited by Samba; 03-23-2012 at 07:06 PM.