Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

Default homemade jello

I heard about Great lakes gelatin here and ordered some. It is made from porcine (pig) instead of beef, and has 6 grams protein in a tbsp, which, I think, is about what you'd need to make 2 cups of jello.

I heard about Stevita here too, and just got some cherry flavored powder. It is flavored with Stevia, which I like as an alternative to aspartame or sacharin. They say to use 1/2 tsp in 2 quarts of water to make a drink, and it has no carbs. Though the taste is good, it has so little flavor, that I kept putting in more and more and got to 2 tsp before I liked the tart flavor for a drink. To make a jello nice and flavorful, I'd need even more. Since the 0 carb may not apply to 2 tsp or more, I'm gonna hold off on making it until I'm firmly in maintenance.

Does anyone else have ways to flavor water or make jello that has a real punch to it, without the aspartame or carbs?
Sewmam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:23 PM   #2  
Started IP 10/6/11

S/C/G: 256/160/160

Height: 5' 6"

I've been wondering about this too. I've thinking about trying Knox Gelatine with unsweetened Kool-Aid packets and sweetening with splenda. Anyone else try this? How did you make yours?
Goldenrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:25 AM   #3  

Hi Goldenrod - yep, I've made it with Koolaid. Would love to find something more natural, but at least we can avoid the aspartame in the sugar-free Jello.

Have not gotten back to experimenting with it, but will be. Jello is a great snack.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #4  
threenorns

stevia powder is pretty much calorie-free and would certainly be suitable, even at high levels, for low-carb dieting since it has no impact on blood sugar levels.

if you use the extract instead of the powder, it is calorie free.

http://www.sweevia.com/html/stevia_faqs.html#calories

Last edited by threenorns; 04-21-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #5  
Started IP 3/11/2012

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/160?

Height: 5' 8"

Just throwing an idea out there - what about Mio in the gelatin?
I haven't tried this, but have seen a lot of people here talking about how much they like mio...
If you do it, let us know how it works!
momof2greatcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:31 PM   #6  
Started IP 3/26/12

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2greatcats View Post
I haven't tried this, but have seen a lot of people here talking about how much they like mio...
I can't remember who it was now, but I'm sure there was a poster who used Knox gelatin and flavored it with MIO. Now that I have some MIO, maybe I'll give that a try myself. I agree with SewMam that it's really nice having an IP appropriate jello around for a snack. Hmmm.... I think I'll go do that now, so I can have some as a dinner dessert.

It's done and setting in the fridge. I used my Berry/Pomegrate flavor. Plus 2 packets of True Lemon crystals (pure crystallized lemon). It has a nice sharp zingy flavor... hope it has that nice a strong flavor when it gells.

Last edited by evepet; 04-21-2012 at 03:47 PM.
evepet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #7  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
I can't remember who it was now, but I'm sure there was a poster who used Knox gelatin and flavored it with MIO. Now that I have some MIO, maybe I'll give that a try myself. I agree with SewMam that it's really nice having an IP appropriate jello around for a snack. Hmmm.... I think I'll go do that now, so I can have some as a dinner dessert.

It's done and setting in the fridge. I used my Berry/Pomegrate flavor. Plus 2 packets of True Lemon crystals (pure crystallized lemon). It has a nice sharp zingy flavor... hope it has that nice a strong flavor when it gells.
Just to let you know my jello was a success. Nice strong flavor. I used a Knox gelatine packet and quite a few squirts of MIO. As well as a couple of packets of the True Lemon crystals. But it would have been fine with a little less MIO, and without the lemon crystals. I definitely have a 'taste punch' in this jello. LOL.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #8  

Yesterday I made some cherry jello with the Great Lakes gelatin, 1 stevia packet (and a little of the pure powder), and cherry Koolaid. It was good, but tastes a little soapy. Not sure if that is the pure stevia powder or what. I used a tbsp of the gelatin to 2 cups liquid and it was probably too much. Next time will use less.

I do have a mio - tangerine, I think. By it's own, it's too sweet in the amounts needed to make jello, but I'll punch it up with the true-orange crystals. I think I'll look for lemon mio too...
Old 04-22-2012, 04:13 PM   #9  
~Kelly~

S/C/G: 229.4/189.4/150

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2greatcats View Post
As I was adding MIO to my tea just a bit ago I thought about that, adding it to make jello pop!!
kmc1021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #10  
Restarting IP 100%

S/C/G: 272/see signature/165

Height: 5.6

Hello,

Bumping this thread up.

I would like to know if anybody experienced making a homemade Jello with a protein powder, like for example mixing Knox gelatin with a whey protein powder and let it chill, would that work?

I just bought a box of Knox gelatin yesterday, and today, I mixed it with 1 pack of Crystal light sweetened with Splenda, but I am not sure if it will gel out since on the box of the Knox Gelatin, they say it makes 2 cups and the pack of the Crystal light makes 6 cups! So, I guess I added a little bit more liquid than I should, remains to see... I will check out if the mix gelled once I am home after work today, if not, next time, I will use 2 packs of Knox instead of one or I would use half the quantity of the Crystal light! Just experimenting!

Anyone has tried that?

Please share.

Big thank you.
sandralosingweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #11  
Started IP 3/26/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandralosingweight View Post
Hello,

Bumping this thread up.

I would like to know if anybody experienced making a homemade Jello with a protein powder, like for example mixing Knox gelatin with a whey protein powder and let it chill, would that work?

I just bought a box of Knox gelatin yesterday, and today, I mixed it with 1 pack of Crystal light sweetened with Splenda, but I am not sure if it will gel out since on the box of the Knox Gelatin, they say it makes 2 cups and the pack of the Crystal light makes 6 cups! So, I guess I added a little bit more liquid than I should, remains to see... I will check out if the mix gelled once I am home after work today, if not, next time, I will use 2 packs of Knox instead of one or I would use half the quantity of the Crystal light! Just experimenting!

Anyone has tried that?

Please share.

Big thank you.
The Knox Gelatin packets, as you noted above, require 2 cups of liquid. What I'd do it just put the packet of Crystal light in with the 2 cups of Knox+water/liquid, and see what the flavor strength is like. It would probably give it a nice strong flavor punch, which I personally would like. I've often put MIO in a Knox Gelatin + 2 cups water mixture - several squirts of MIO - and it makes a nice strong flavor. I've also added in some unflavored protein powder to this mixture. Works ok, but the protein powder settles to the bottom somewhat. To get around that, I have whipped the whole mixture when it's almost 'set' with my immersion blender. It creates a frothy jello mixture, with the protein powder mixed throughout. I prefer doing it that way.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #12  
Restarting IP 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by evepet View Post
The Knox Gelatin packets, as you noted above, require 2 cups of liquid. What I'd do it just put the packet of Crystal light in with the 2 cups of Knox+water/liquid, and see what the flavor strength is like. It would probably give it a nice strong flavor punch, which I personally would like. I've often put MIO in a Knox Gelatin + 2 cups water mixture - several squirts of MIO - and it makes a nice strong flavor. I've also added in some unflavored protein powder to this mixture. Works ok, but the protein powder settles to the bottom somewhat. To get around that, I have whipped the whole mixture when it's almost 'set' with my immersion blender. It creates a frothy jello mixture, with the protein powder mixed throughout. I prefer doing it that way.
Thank you so much for your answer

Another question though , when you said that you add ''some'' unflavored protein powder; how much is some to two cups of liquid?
Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #13  
IP Round #3: 11/14/2023

S/C/G: 210/184/145

Height: 5'5"/49yo

I was actually wondering about doing a Knox gelatin/IP Pudding mix. I'm getting tired of shelling out $28 for the Raspberry Jello and would like to try another way to incorporate some collagen (and save some bucks!). I saw some recipes online for adding knox to commercial pudding and was thinking of adapting it using the IP pudding. Interested to know if anyones had success - I was thinking that setting up the knox with 2 cups of water then incorporating the pudding - I'll try it this weekend and report back.
LizRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #14  
Restarting IP 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
I was actually wondering about doing a Knox gelatin/IP Pudding mix. I'm getting tired of shelling out $28 for the Raspberry Jello and would like to try another way to incorporate some collagen (and save some bucks!). I saw some recipes online for adding knox to commercial pudding and was thinking of adapting it using the IP pudding. Interested to know if anyones had success - I was thinking that setting up the knox with 2 cups of water then incorporating the pudding - I'll try it this weekend and report back.
Hello Liz,

I will be experiencing some more, I will try some whey powder mix (vanilla I think) with the knox and I will let you know as well.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #15  
Restarted 9/4/2013

S/C/G: 194.5/194.5/145

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizRR View Post
So I'm confused. Is gelatin the same as collagen? I certainly want the effects of collagen for skin. Can I get that from gelatin?
Viciousdoggie is offline   Reply With Quote