Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 09:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Default Alternative Discussions Here

Yesterday on the board there was a bit of discussion about so many threads devoted to alternative questions and issues. I just thought it may be best to keep them in one place if possible. So I'll start this thread. I am in a late time zone so I can bump it up each evening if people do post here.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #2  

I started IP in August at a clinic. I was driving a hour each way to the clinic. My coach was very good but once school started I did not have the time to add this two hour drive to my hectic schedule. I would use IPtoGo but that is not an option in Canada.
I am post menopausal so my rate of loss was slower than expected so it was obvious the whole process would take longer and thus more expensive than it is for most people.

So I switched to alternatives and used the alternative stickies under the daily thread to match the nutrition info between IP products and the alternative products.

I continued on my journey. My weight loss continued at the same rate (slow but steady)and I am now 2 pounds from goal.

Truth be told, the IP products are likely a bit better in that they work in the packet recipes, the alternative ones don't. They also may limit hunger a bit more but that could be my imagination.

On the other hand some things I really like has lower carbs than the equivalent IP product so that meant I could have something like oatmeal and still have a restricted product that day.

So all in all I am pleased with my switch.

There was some discussion if using alternatives means that you are not really on IP. That likely is so but my 32 pound loss is real so that's really all that matters to me.

There was also the question as to why people using alternatives don't just use a low carb forum. I don't because I am not on a low carb diet. I am on a low carb/ low fat /higher protein plan. Maybe I shouldn't call it IP but no matter what I call it it worked for me without the side effects low carb diets always had for me.
So I thought I'd start a new spot for those of us who are on a pseudo-IP plan using alternatives.

Please feel free to comment on your alternative plan experience and ask questions.

Pat
Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #3  
IP/Atkins Hybrid

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

I am following the IP concept, but using both IP and alternative products to increase my choices, lower my cost, and find alternatives that hopefully don't have as much of the things in IP that I don't think are healthy (soy, sugar alcohols, etc.).

I have read the Dr. Tran book 3 times now, have a very good understanding of ketogenic diets, and try to make the best choices for ME within the IP concept to keep me on plan long term.

But if that means I can't have an IP badge for my Girl Scout uniform, I'm ok with that.

Last edited by bethanym; 03-12-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266/218/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by patns View Post
I started IP in August at a clinic. I was driving a hour each way to the clinic. My coach was very good but once school started I did not have the time to add this two hour drive to my hectic schedule. I would use IPtoGo but that is not an option in Canada.
I am post menopausal so my rate of loss was slower than expected so it was obvious the whole process would take longer and thus more expensive than it is for most people.

So I switched to alternatives and used the alternative stickies under the daily thread to match the nutrition info between IP products and the alternative products.

I continued on my journey. My weight loss continued at the same rate (slow but steady)and I am now 2 pounds from goal.

Truth be told, the IP products are likely a bit better in that they work in the packet recipes, the alternative ones don't. They also may limit hunger a bit more but that could be my imagination.

On the other hand some things I really like has lower carbs than the equivalent IP product so that meant I could have something like oatmeal and still have a restricted product that day.

So all in all I am pleased with my switch.

There was some discussion if using alternatives means that you are not really on IP. That likely is so but my 32 pound loss is real so that's really all that matters to me.

There was also the question as to why people using alternatives don't just use a low carb forum. I don't because I am not on a low carb diet. I am on a low carb/ low fat /higher protein plan. Maybe I shouldn't call it IP but no matter what I call it it worked for me without the side effects low carb diets always had for me.
So I thought I'd start a new spot for those of us who are on a pseudo-IP plan using alternatives.

Please feel free to comment on your alternative plan experience and ask questions.

Pat

Thank you Pat for your statements. I agree as well- maybe I shouldn't call it IP but then again, I want to give credit to the good doctor and his program because it is his method, maybe just not his products. I simply cannot afford to do all IP products. If I were losing 30-40 lbs, it would be ok to just use IP products but since I have a large amount of weight to loose, I simply cannot afford the cost. However, I love the plan, and love the way it is working for my body. I still have some IP products left so I am not completely using alternatives as of yet but will be soon.

Thanks again for posting and I am interested in hearing about other's experiences!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #5  

Yes some people are using a combination of products, some just using all alternatives. There is another thread called "strictly alternatives". I started this one because lots of people are not using just the alternatives.

I thought it would be easier to keep all the questions and comments in one spot.
Darn!! I didn't keep my Girl Guide (Canadian Girl Scouts) uniform. I would fit in it again, even if I don't get the last badge.

Last edited by patns; 03-12-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #6  
IP/Atkins Hybrid

S/C/G: 180/ticker/125

Quote:
Darn!! I didn't keep my Girl Guide (Canadian Girl Scouts) uniform. I would fit in it again, even if I don't get the last badge.
Good for you!!! Your results have been pretty darn awesome!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Yesterday on the board there was a bit of discussion about so many threads devoted to alternative questions and issues. I just thought it may be best to keep them in one place if possible. So I'll start this thread. I am in a late time zone so I can bump it up each evening if people do post here.
Thank you for doing this Patns !!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/154/139

Height: 5'6"

I think the thread is a great idea. Those doing alternatives in the IP manner or general plan is an option many have to utilize. My son can not do the program products but he is impressed with plan. He does his best to emulate it and I try to help him. This site has been great help! He lost two more pounds over the weekend and was out of town with friends!

This thread may help reduce confusion! I will come here for alternatives info.

So hoping for better health and weight loss success for all working on these goals!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 305/168/150

Height: 5'6"

I too have used mostly alternative products since starting in January. My mom is on IP and started back in July and since she had such good results, I wanted to try too. I have her get a few things for me from her coach, but use mostly alternative. Thus far, have had fantastic results. This thread is a pretty good idea!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #10  

I follow the IP protocol, but still consider myself OP. I can't afford the original IP products so I did massive research to find what products are comparable substitutes. I read label after label before finding comparable products...and they've paid off!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 300/152/154

Height: 5 ft 5.525 inches

I have used the IP products but am phasing off now, and intend to use alternatives as the occasional treat in the future. I didn't even know they existed before finding this forum, so I'm grateful for you all!

Pat, I had no idea that being post-menopausal would affect the rate at which we loose pounds. I am also post-menopausal. Some weeks I'd do pretty well, but some, it was nothing at all, and I was completely on-plan for 11 months. Maybe the menopausal thing explains it...
Old 03-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #12  

Glad to see so many people pop in. I'm off for one of my least favorite days of the year. I taught grade one for many years and the day after the spring time change was awful. I'm not doing the same job now. I hope I get to work with older kids today rather than younger ones.
I want to talk about protein drinks for breakfast but better run.

Pat
Old 03-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 239.6/see ticker/160

Morning,
I haven't been on the site all weekend, but there seems to be some buzz lol. I started with IP last May and phased off their products in August. I too did a lot of label comparison and used alternative products through Sept. I took too long of a break over the holidays and now I am back at the weight I was when I stopped...While on IP, they had me on 2 shakes and a bar daily, I never had any of their other products, so I am fine with 2 shakes and a bar now and my weight loss is the same. I do miss the coach aspect of the program, but I feel like I learned enough about what to do, that I could do it on my own and save a great deal of money. I know that if I get stuck, I can always go back to the clinic. Best of luck everyone!
Old 03-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 143/120/120

Height: 5'1

Thanks for the thread Pat, I am planning on using alternatives along with the IP products. I ordered my first few products off of Nashua Nutrition (Proti-Thin Cappuccino, Proti-Thin Peanut Crisp Bar, and ProDiet Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal). I can't wait to try them! The reduced cost is amazing!

Cassi

Last edited by CassiR; 03-12-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 194/172/148

Height: 5'6

I just left my clinic to do it on my own as well. I use the labels as a guide and am getting everything from nashua in combo with EAS shakes and my IP Favs I stocked up on. Didn't really see benefit in coaching and I have friends who have done who can help with guidance- as well as this awesome site to finish phases.

Can people post their favorite alternatives- I just ordered -

HealthSmart Pancakes - Golden DeliCious*
HealthSmart Pudding & Shake - Cheesecake *
Proti-Thin Protein Bar - Caramel Delight *-LOVE LOVE
Proti-Thin Snack - Chocolate Covered Soy Snacks
ProtiDiet Oatmeal - Maple Brown Sugar
ProtiDiet Omelette - Bacon & Cheese - not a fan so far
ProtiDiet Pancakes - Blueberry pancakes
ProtiDiet Pudding - Chocolate
ProtiDiet Pudding - Vanilla

All seem okay or did I miss something where I shouldn't use a product? Any other suggestions? I can't have nuts per allergy.

Thanks for tips and recs!
Closed Thread