Thyroid?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Has Ideal Protein had positive OR negative effects regarding your Thyroid. I have Hypo-Thyroid and a nodule, not sure if I should be that concerned about the soy content.
  • I am hypo, my dosage has changed and look how far I have come...I have had NO problems at all!
  • Ive been on for 5 weeks.....my dosage is the same for now, however going to get tested after 6 weeks. The only thing I have found is my losses are a bit slower but isnt that the life of the hypo girl? lol
  • Quote: I am hypo, my dosage has changed and look how far I have come...I have had NO problems at all!

Has your dosage changed much since you started IP?
  • Hmm...never thought about this affecting my thyroid. I haven't had it checked since I started, but I'm wondering now if I need to. I've been on for 7 weeks, and have lost 36 pounds. lately I have been very tired, and my weight is like a yo-yo. Does the soy reduce the effectiveness of the pills or something?? I am hypo.
  • I havent heard that and my clinic is supervised by a endochronoligist.....I think youre fine but for sure with a massive change in your habits you should get tested...im hoping to lower and eventually be off my meds....I know its happed before, im not that luck tho lol I take 1.35 thyroxin thats alot
  • Quote: Hmm...never thought about this affecting my thyroid. I haven't had it checked since I started, but I'm wondering now if I need to. I've been on for 7 weeks, and have lost 36 pounds. lately I have been very tired, and my weight is like a yo-yo. Does the soy reduce the effectiveness of the pills or something?? I am hypo.
    Not sure the specifics but soy contains plant estrogen which promotes growth of cells. I know women that have a history of breast cancer are told not to have soy because it may promote the growth of bad cells. Maybe someone else has more specific information.
  • I had a TSH test eight weeks in that showed an over correction from my daily dose of synthroid after a 40 lb lose. My doctor told me to skip one dose week and I will test again soon before lowering my daily dose down from 1.25. I was told this is something that should be monitored
  • Quote: Not sure the specifics but soy contains plant estrogen which promotes growth of cells. I know women that have a history of breast cancer are told not to have soy because it may promote the growth of bad cells. Maybe someone else has more specific information.
    I am not a fan of soy at all because of the phytoestrogens and possibly higher risk of cancer, but am looking at this as shorter-term thing....I assume that 6 months of soy can't be any worse for my body and thyroid than the negative impacts of being insulin resistant and overweight.

But I will be getting some new lab tests done in April to see where I am and if my thyroid meds need to be adjusted. And as soon as I can phase down and limit the soy, I will definitely be doing so.
  • Are any of you taking Synthroid for your hypo-thyroid? My TSH got totally whacked out, and I just learned that I shouldn't take calcium, iron, and a few other minerals within a 4 hour window of taking the Synthroid. So, if I take it at 5, that means I can't take my MV until 9/10. Can hold off on all of the supplements till lunch, or is it vital that the supplements are taking at breakfast?

Thanks for any help.
  • Quote: Are any of you taking Synthroid for your hypo-thyroid? My TSH got totally whacked out, and I just learned that I shouldn't take calcium, iron, and a few other minerals within a 4 hour window of taking the Synthroid. So, if I take it at 5, that means I can't take my MV until 9/10. Can hold off on all of the supplements till lunch, or is it vital that the supplements are taking at breakfast?

Thanks for any help.
    I take my Armour thyroid med 2 am or so when I get up to go to the bathroom (all that water!). Frees me up to eat first thing in the am.
  • Chloe222,

That sounds like a good plan. I usually don't get up in the middle of the night, but perhaps I can force the issue by drinking a great big glass of water before going to bed. :>)

If I don't wake up in the middle of the night, do you think it would mess the diet up if I move the morning supplements to 10ish? Or do they need to be taken with food?
  • Yes, soy along with Calcium and Iron effect the absorbtion of synthroid meds.

The first time I was on IP and was at my heaviest, I was careful and wanted to make super sure that my synthroid was going to be absorbed so I moved my thyroid medication to the pm, just before bed since that would be the time farthest away from any soy/vitamin product I had taken thoughout the day.

I lost about 30 lbs on IP and my TSH did drop a little but not much. I was happy that he kept me at my same dosage

Now that I am near goal, I take my synthroid alone in the am then vits at noon with lunch, and calcium etc with dinner and more calcium before bed. I have no problem with this. I get my levels monitored often because I had thyroid cancer and they are always about the same with this routine.
  • I'm hypothyroid, been on replacement for about 15 years now and my dosage varies with my health. I've experimented with when to take my thyroid: first thing in am, with my vitamins at breakfast and after dinner.

Hands down, it works best first in the morning with a glass of water. A few hours later, I have breakfast and my vitamins. and then I take my cal-mag after dinner. I take a smaller dose in the am, then when I took it at other times of the day and I seem to function on a more even keel - less fatigue and other symptoms.

A benefit of taking your cal-mag at night is it helps with digestion, sleep, and promotes a bowel movement in the morning.

As for soy - it seems to be a personal preference. I avoid soy as much as possible as it increases hot flashes and night sweats for me.
  • I take armour thyroid in the morning about an hour or so before I eat breakfast. I am due for my 3 month blood work in about 2-3 weeks. So I guess we will see if it has effected it. I honestly didnt even think about the soy effecting it. My coach didnt say anything about that.