Old 02-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 207/165/135

Height: 5'3

Question Corned Beef Brisket & IP

My husband is cooking a corned beef brisket for dinner, he usually has it with potatoes, cabbage & carrots - should I take mine out before he adds the starch or will it matter?
Akangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #2  
Started IP 1/1/2012

S/C/G: 368.8/314.8/150

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akangel View Post
My husband is cooking a corned beef brisket for dinner, he usually has it with potatoes, cabbage & carrots - should I take mine out before he adds the starch or will it matter?
I don't think you can have corned beef on IP because sugar is usually one of the ingredients in the brine. You should read the ingredients on the package before eating it.
Lorilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #3  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I don't do IP, and I don't KNOW the answer, but we cook this alot, and it seems that the flavor of the meat gets into the vegetables, but I don't think the starch of the potatoes can be absorbed into the meat. Potato starch will affect the broth, of course. Anyone else?
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Height: 5'3"

My only concern with corned beef would be how fatty it is. I'm not sure if it's strictly OP or not, it would depend on the cut. All the recipes I looked up for a brine online looked okay, but in the future you should always read the ingredients to make sure there aren't any hidden sugars. I hope it was good! Did you eat the cabbage? I have been wanting corned beef and cabbage for a long time, it's one of my favorites!!
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 207/165/135

Height: 5'3

I looked it up & it said it was fine. I cut the fatty parts off & my husband was so sweet, he left out the potatoes & carrots & just added cabbage & broccoli. It was delish!!! Gonna do it again on St. Patty's day!
Akangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 239/227/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akangel View Post
I looked it up & it said it was fine. I cut the fatty parts off & my husband was so sweet, he left out the potatoes & carrots & just added cabbage & broccoli. It was delish!!! Gonna do it again on St. Patty's day!
You could make some mashed "potatoes" with cauliflower. My husband, who is not on IP, has really come to enjoy the mashed cauliflower.
MustangMolly is offline   Reply With Quote